*** RD 3 BENGALS DRAFT - ZACHARY CARTER (DT) ***

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'm not questioning whether the Bengals liked Carter more than other teams or not. They clearly did. What's in question is whether they were right to do so and also to take him in the top 100. 

The argument that the Bengals draft D-lineman well in the midrounds seems to rest entirely on Geno Atkins. He certainly outperformed his draft position. Other than him, are you going back to Domata Peko? While ignoring the Shelvins, Wrens, etc?

Yes. Peko was a pretty solid Nose Guard for most of his time here. I will go back to Peko without hesitation. That's not hard for me at all.

And we know next to nothing about about Shelvin so far, other than he played pretty well in situational run stopping designed to stop Derik Henry in the playoff game. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

we know next to nothing about about Shelvin so far,

Just having Shelvin there to hoist Burrow on his shoulders for the iconic moment after making the Super Bowl (recreating their LSU motif) makes him worth his draft pick. Plus I think he will actually be in the short yardage rotation this year. 

Palmer Black on Twitter: "November 9, 2019: Tyler Shelvin carries Joe Burrow  off the field after beating Alabama Today: Tyler Shelvin carries Joe Burrow  off the field after an 18-point comeback to

11 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Just having Shelvin there to hoist Burrow on his shoulders for the iconic moment after making the Super Bowl (recreating their LSU motif) makes him worth his draft pick. Plus I think he will actually be in the short yardage rotation this year. 

Palmer Black on Twitter: "November 9, 2019: Tyler Shelvin carries Joe Burrow  off the field after beating Alabama Today: Tyler Shelvin carries Joe Burrow  off the field after an 18-point comeback to

Shelvin is basically Readers backup and I suspect will get more time this year. If they drafted well here then he should take over the starting role for cheaper than Reader was after the 23 season.

16 hours ago, membengal said:

And in a year or so Shelvin will most likely replace Tupou. IDL of Shelvin's size take a few years. 

I doubt it's even a year or two I bet Shelvin has that role this year. 

12 minutes ago, membengal said:

I hope not - Buck was an undersized edge only guy. 

The Bengals ran a 3-4 heavy defense back then. Krumrie was solely over center, and Buck/Jim Skow were sort of DE, sort of outside the guard/tackle gaps. They both even dropped into coverage at times. 

I don’t know…like I said, reading about Carter just caused Buck and Skow to pop in the mind

Skow wasn’t all that big either 

image.jpeg.542664e542eb3b8c790ccea14a83ee1e.jpeg

Correct - he would on occasion drop out into coverage. In any event, he definitely was not kicking inside.

Carter reminds me more in terms of measurements of Jonathan Fanene who was mostly inside  - Fanene was 6'4" 285. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived