Keeping our enemies close: 2023

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

OK then they should've taken him in the 4th

😆

I wouldn’t have been mad about it but I really don’t think they wanted any part of the kid. He could have been there in the 7th round and they would have passed, IMO. 

13 hours ago, Dautcom08 said:

I smiled when he finally put on his entitled ass attitude (which his team and fanbase both share) for all the world to undeniably see.

I hope the refs call offsides and more holding penalties on the Chiefs. Mahomes really fucked up, he showed up the refs after they have protected him for years, they literally gave him the first game of the season when they didn't call a single penalty on his RT that lined up 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage(illegal formation) and false started every damn snap. They have had 3 games in which the refs helped them win this year and that's still not enough. 

Hopefully the refs take away his golden boy status and call it like they do for every other team in the NFL. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I wouldn’t have been mad about it but I really don’t think they wanted any part of the kid. He could have been there in the 7th round and they would have passed, IMO. 

But they loved Carman and Volson, Jonah has been mediocre as well.

I know you think it's coaching, I'm suggesting talent evaluation is a problem.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

But they loved Carman and Volson, Jonah has been mediocre as well.

I know you think it's coaching, I'm suggesting talent evaluation is a problem.

In regards to Dawand Jones…I just think he had too many red flags for their taste. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, spicoli said:

In regards to Dawand Jones…I just think he had too many red flags for their taste. 

I was an advocate of drafting him as early as round 1.

Thought he would be devastating in run game and hold his his own in protection..

Knew nothing about his motivation to excel later.

Still love the kid a lot but he needs to work on his weight.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Which kind of reinforces my point about our evaluation process, because he has been nothing but good in Cleveland. Maybe coaching is a part, but I really think this is a larger issue with the scouting department for the Oline, as these kinds of issues with finding good talent has been a problem even before Pollack got here. And yes, i get that is an issue across the league, but there are teams in this league that have good Olines.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, spicoli said:

And right now, the Bengals OL playing as well as any of them. 

Yes they are.

I think alot of it is in play action they can get leverage to explode out of their stance ..

We have the tallest guards in the league both 6'6 so in the Shotgun their back on their heels not producing sudden power

.Just seems it's all fallen in place for Pollack and his crew.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Which kind of reinforces my point about our evaluation process, because he has been nothing but good in Cleveland. Maybe coaching is a part, but I really think this is a larger issue with the scouting department for the Oline, as these kinds of issues with finding good talent has been a problem even before Pollack got here. And yes, i get that is an issue across the league, but there are teams in this league that have good Olines.

That's the frustrating part. It's not like Jones came out of nowhere and was overlooked. He played more than 400 passing snaps for a Heisman finalist QB in 2022 with zero sacks and zero QB hits allowed. So apparently the Bengals evaluation process somehow convinced themselves the guy would bust when he was already a high level player and continued that into the NFL. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That's the frustrating part. It's not like Jones came out of nowhere and was overlooked. He played more than 400 passing snaps for a Heisman finalist QB in 2022 with zero sacks and zero QB hits allowed. So apparently the Bengals evaluation process somehow convinced themselves the guy would bust when he was already a high level player and continued that into the NFL. 

It may have come down to his work/fitness habits as well as his presence in the locker room.

It was said he didn't interview well.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Frustrating?

You're being too nice. To me stuff like this should get guys fired.

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

So apparently the Bengals evaluation process somehow convinced themselves the guy would bust when he was already a high level player and continued that into the NFL

If he was such a high level player why did every single team in the league pass on him until the 111th pick? 

No, I think the problem with Jones was…he had major red flags coming out causing a number of teams to take him completely off of their board with the Bengals being one of them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

If he was such a high level player why did every single team in the league pass on him until the 111th pick? 

No, I think the problem with Jones was…he had major red flags coming out causing a number of teams to take him completely off of their board with the Bengals being one of them. 

Obviously the league didn't evaluate Jones properly. Why did player X go so high or fall so low is an annual question. Tom Brady or Jamarcus Russell are the classic examples. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, dex said:

We will find out over the last 4 weeks how well the OL is playing. Because the quality of defenses that they face is about to go way up.

Every week the Bengals face tough Dlines .

Names change but every game is a task.

As long as they keep playing their present schemes all will be good 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Obviously the league didn't evaluate Jones properly. Why did player X go so high or fall so low is an annual question. Tom Brady or Jamarcus Russell are the classic examples. 

It's why they have that "how would they be drafted today" thing on a few sites every year.

I honestly believe the Bengals wouldn't take Jones even with a chance at a re-draft. No one ever doubted that he could produce on the field, at least in the short run. The idea was that with his attitude and weight problems, he might not still be in the NFL by the end of his rookie contract. Or that he might just be bouncing around the league, hanging onto to the back of a roster like a Cedric Ogbuehi. It isn't if the concerns about Jones among NFL scouts/coaches have suddenly gone away now that Jones had a good rookie year. Many probably expected it. Maybe the Jones will be proven wrong over the next few years, but only time will tell that tale.

But I do wonder if the Bengals had a late 1st round do-over, if they might select LaPorta. Taylor and Callahan had LaPorta as a very early 2nd round pick. He only went a few picks after the Bengals selected in the 1st. 

• Upvote 1