2023 Bengals Captains announced

My take ...

Burrow and Karras are perfect offensive choices. 

I'm surprised to see Mixon chosen again tbh after his off-season, and would have preferred seeing Orlando Brown Jr. or Ja'Marr instead in his place. 

Reader, Hubbard, and Hilton I think are also the best 3 for the defense. If you had to choose another, I think Logan (green dot) would have been a good choice, but I'm not sure which of the 3 to swap him out for. 

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I'm surprised to see Mixon chosen again tbh after his off-season, and would have preferred seeing Orlando Brown Jr. or Ja'Marr instead in his place. 

Don't be, they've been circling the wagons and trying to fluff Smiley Joe ever since he started fucking up. Not sure what sort of leadership he's providing exactly but I guess they genuinely like the guy.

I doubt the charity will extend to letting him plod along for another 4 ypc season if someone else is outperforming him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

It's just a popularity contest, I don't think it reflects on Duke's drafting.

Duke drafted 3 of the Captains, and signed 3 of the Captains as outside free agents.

But of course it is relevant for the free agents, as it shows he is good at finding guys from other teams who can come in and instantly be seen as leaders of the football team.

Karras was a Captain before ever even taking a Bengals snap last season. So clearly Duke knows the type of personalities he wants in his players. It is also why Zac likes to draft college team captains as they have discerned that they make for a better locker room of self-driven men who know what it takes to win. 

33 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Duke drafted 3 of the Captains, and signed 3 of the Captains as outside free agents.

But of course it is relevant for the free agents, as it shows he is good at finding guys from other teams who can come in and instantly be seen as leaders of the football team.

Karras was a Captain before ever even taking a Bengals snap last season. So clearly Duke knows the type of personalities he wants in his players. It is also why Zac likes to draft college team captains as they have discerned that they make for a better locker room of self-driven men who know what it takes to win. 

Oh I misunderstood, my bad.

& yeah obviously a big Karras fan.  Really hope he & Brown get a chance to mentor more young OL talent before they hang it up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Don't be, they've been circling the wagons and trying to fluff Smiley Joe ever since he started fucking up. Not sure what sort of leadership he's providing exactly but I guess they genuinely like the guy.

I doubt the charity will extend to letting him plod along for another 4 ypc season if someone else is outperforming him.

We all know the Redeemer loves bad boys, it's his weakness...especially if they drive a Chevy Lumina.

Mixon is one of the longest tenured players on the roster, only behind Tyler Boyd, so he clearly has big fans in the front office.  Mixon is a guy that the players respect, clearly, and he's been productive while being a good locker room guy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

We all know the Redeemer loves bad boys, it's his weakness...especially if they drive a Chevy Lumina.

Mixon is one of the longest tenured players on the roster, only behind Tyler Boyd, so he clearly has big fans in the front office.  Mixon is a guy that the players respect, clearly, and he's been productive while being a good locker room guy.

He'd been good up until last year when he was near bottom of the league in YPC, then his name started popping up with "guns" and "police" over the offseason so.. IDK.  Maybe he bounces back this year but NFL RBs tend to burn out pretty hard.  Apparently naming key players with bad PR as captains is just what teams do these days though.

• Upvote 1

Captains are chosen by the players.  There are only 53 votes.  No more, no less.

Those votes go to those who exemplify leadership on the field and in the locker room, not on what you, I, the press, the coaches, the front office, or any of the talking heads in the public or media think. It's strictly a player-to-player acknowledgements of who this teams' leaders are.

Doesn't matter at all if you don't agree with any of them, because frankly, you weren't asked.

To those grousing about any of these choices.... let it go.  Seriously.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Captains are chosen by the players.  There are only 53 votes.  No more, no less.

Those votes go to those who exemplify leadership on the field and in the locker room, not on what you, I, the press, the coaches, the front office, or any of the talking heads in the public or media think. It's strictly a player-to-player acknowledgements of who this teams' leaders are.

Doesn't matter at all if you don't agree with any of them, because frankly, you weren't asked.

To those grousing about any of these choices.... let it go.  Seriously.

Don't recall anyone voting for you as arbiter of what we should discuss either but y'know, cool.  Just be sure and stretch before patting yourself on the back 😁

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Where else is he going to find captains?  Trade?  He does that too.  I mean they’ve put together a good squad, but somebody has to be captain and Duke Tobin is connected to every player. 

• Upvote 1