Ja’Marr Chase says he wanted to be “disrespectful” to Jaguars with touchdown celebration

Published December 5, 2023 05:02 AM

Bengals wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase began his celebration before he crossed the goal line on his 76-yard touchdown catch on Monday night, turning all the way around and looking at the Jaguars defenders who were hopelessly chasing him. Afterward, he said he wanted to be disrespectful.

Bengals quarterback Jake Browning, who threw the pass, said Chase told him that afterward.

“I saw him turning around near the goal line, and I was thinking, ‘Why is he turning around?’ He said it was because he was being disrespectful,” Browning said.

Chase confirmed to reporters after the game that he knew going in that his mindset was going to be showing a lack of respect to the Jaguars.

“I said I was gonna do some asshole shit — excuse my profanity,” Chase said. “I was going to be a jerk today. . . . I just felt like being an evil person today.”

Chase said the Jaguars got what was coming to them by thinking a cornerback could cover him man-to-man.

“Straight man. No help,” Chase said of the Jaguars’ coverage.

Chase caught 11 of the 12 passes thrown to him on Monday night, gaining 149 yards and scoring that big touchdown, and he said the Bengals wanted to show that they’re still contenders even without Joe Burrow.

“We still can play Cincinnati football,” Chase said. “We showed that today.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jamarr-chase-says-he-wanted-to-be-disrespectful-to-jaguars-with-touchdown-celebration

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I wonder if he had entitled 22 year old kids in mind when he said that? 🤷‍♂️

In 1968, 22 year olds were either ramrod straight college guys...or in Vietnam. The former were definitely "entitled"--but never ran their chops, or they could become the latter. 

Anybody else starting to notice that Chase is starting to become a little diva-ish? Like the attention is starting to go to his head a little?

He walks the walk, for sure, but I'm starting to notice a disturbing trend, and the TD run is a good example, He almost got caught there at the end, and there were other instances where he was jawing with the opposing players. I just hope that none of his actions cost us on the field. 

35 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Anybody else starting to notice that Chase is starting to become a little diva-ish? Like the attention is starting to go to his head a little?

He walks the walk, for sure, but I'm starting to notice a disturbing trend, and the TD run is a good example, He almost got caught there at the end, and there were other instances where he was jawing with the opposing players. I just hope that none of his actions cost us on the field. 

Maybe they were jawing at him also

2 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Maybe they were jawing at him also

Undoubtedly.  That's just the modern NFL.

This idea of "bulletin board material" is pretty outdated tbh.  It's nonstop shit-talking from Instagram & TikTok to the field and back these days.

This strikes me as no different than griping about Brandon Phillips' shoulder lean on a walk-off homer. 

• Like 1

I don't care if everyone does this now. It isn't good for us. Have respect for the game and for yourself.  It's gonna take every drop of blood, sweat, and tears to win a championship. I suppose it's more than possible to act like this and win, but I don't see how it helps.