Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

Random thoughts on the flurry of recent tweets ...

- Burrow is a machine. Looks great with the added muscle. I'm surprised to see coaches throwing the ball at his legs though this early. I also wonder if Zac should dial Burrow back a little bit. There's no rush to going full speed this early in the off season. We need Joe until February, so an off day here and there to let Browning get in some work won't hurt. 

- Rankins as their top free agent needs to be there. Hope he has a good reason for missing. 

- As for Trey and Tee, I'm sure both will pout and report as late as possible. As for Chase, he may be signalling that he wants his extension before coming in. If so, they need to get it done. 

- I'm excited for the rookies to show up on Friday. Particularly to see Burton and All run routes and to see how big Mims looks out there. 

- I think Gesicki is going to flourish in this offense and hope the team gives him a year 1 extension before the season even starts. Or else he will go to a pro bowl and leave next off season like the other TEs have. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

- I think Gesicki is going to flourish in this offense and hope the team gives him a year 1 extension before the season even starts. Or else he will go to a pro bowl and leave next off season like the other TEs have. 

Nah they just drafted 2 TE's, brought Hudson back, and then Sample has incriminating photos of someone..  That's a crowded room to be extending someone that just got here based on a few OTA grabs against an air defense.  Maybe if Gesicki blows up this season but I think the plan was obviously another one & done rental.

Listened to joe’s. Press conference. He needs to start chilling more,  quit rushing things. Described injury similar to his knee will need rest time off etc. also mentioned struggling on how to rehab it because it a weird injury. He said he talked to not lineman and linebackers but no qb. They did require same range on motion he will need. Also, said he near end of recovery but thought it be like knee took 1 year till it felt right post surgery this might be same. He is having arm soreness as you would rehabbing  Make browning starter let joe heal up this time it’s his arm not calf pull.i, if he starts doing to much zach need a burrow whistle or something. Make him train rookies if he bored but he ain’t rushing back till I am 100 percent then I am waiting another week or more. You get one shot side on caution. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Nah they just drafted 2 TE's, brought Hudson back, and then Sample has incriminating photos of someone..  That's a crowded room to be extending someone that just got here based on a few OTA grabs against an air defense.  Maybe if Gesicki blows up this season but I think the plan was obviously another one & done rental.

Gesicki really isn’t even a TE, he’s an oversized WR. Guarantee he’s in the slot or split wide 90% of the time he’s on the field. 

22 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Gesicki really isn’t even a TE, he’s an oversized WR. Guarantee he’s in the slot or split wide 90% of the time he’s on the field. 

And Sample may be more of a FB, very interesting situation with the Bengals TE room

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sample got his extension only days after the Bengals signed the all-receiver no-block TE Gesicki. Zac Taylor always commends Sample for doing all of the "dirty work" blocking assignments. For much of last year Sample actually replaced the Perine role in pass pro on 3rd down. When Gesicki was with Miami and about to be a free agent, I wanted the Bengals to sign him to replace Uzomah but they wanted an all-around TE.

The fact that Burrow loved throwing to Tanner Hudson last year was one of the reasons they decided to sign Gesicki after 2 lost years in the Patriots dismal offense. Gesicki will take most of those snaps that Hudson got in 2023 this year, as he has great athleticism and has such a tremendous catch radius at his 6-6 height. Gesicki will also take some snaps that went to Boyd last year too. Just look at his RAS scores coming out of college. Talk about elite.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dex said:

Sample got his extension only days after the Bengals signed the all-receiver no-block TE Gesicki. Zac Taylor always commends Sample for doing all of the "dirty work" blocking assignments. For much of last year Sample actually replaced the Perine role in pass pro on 3rd down. When Gesicki was with Miami and about to be a free agent, I wanted the Bengals to sign him to replace Uzomah but they wanted an all-around TE.

The fact that Burrow loved throwing to Tanner Hudson last year was one of the reasons they decided to sign Gesicki after 2 lost years in the Patriots dismal offense. Gesicki will take most of those snaps that Hudson got in 2023 this year, as he has great athleticism and has such a tremendous catch radius at his 6-6 height. Gesicki will also take some snaps that went to Boyd last year too. Just look at his RAS scores coming out of college. Talk about elite.

I'm also thinking since he is on a one year contract (kind of a surprise)

that he will be playing for a lot more via a plump extension.

Good on him!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

since he is on a one year contract (kind of a surprise)

As a general rule I would never have a player on a 1 year contract. It only benefits the player and gives them all the leverage. 2 year contracts should be the minimum.

Gesicki and Trent Brown should have both been on 2 year deals, just in case either of them shines in their new role, you get the second year at a discounted rate. But alas ...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

As a general rule I would never have a player on a 1 year contract. It only benefits the player and gives them all the leverage. 2 year contracts should be the minimum.

Gesicki and Trent Brown should have both been on 2 year deals, just in case either of them shines in their new role, you get the second year at a discounted rate. But alas ...

Players want more guaranteed money on longer contracts. They don't discount themselves for free, after all. And the Bengals don't like to pay out guaranteed money after the first year.