PFF wants to see Bengals chase big name TE in free agency

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Outside of Bowers I don't see a guy who is worth taking. I think with a few guys opting to go back to school the class has gotten weaker. I think maybe next year is the year to grab a guy.

Not out of the question to sign a vet .

A one year prove it deal.

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Outside of Bowers I don't see a guy who is worth taking. I think with a few guys opting to go back to school the class has gotten weaker. I think maybe next year is the year to grab a guy.

In the he draft yes..

On 1/19/2024 at 10:38 AM, BlackJesus said:

If we could get Bowers in the draft go for it (a true playmaker). 

Otherwise, might as well just bring back Sample and Hudson and use the money elsewhere. 

Bowers is not going top drop to 18.He is a top 5 rated player in this draft.

• Upvote 1

I think Bowers will go very high, but he's had some injury issues (like everyone, but still) that need to be checked, and there's the measurements and all that. Understand that the tape trumps all, but in years past, there've been guys that were tagged as "can't miss" and "top 5/top 10" that slip because of medical issues, or even situations where there wasn't anything wrong per se, where they slipped due to how the draft fell. 

CeeDee Lamb was a pretty recent one that came to mind. Terrific college player, had all the measurables, sure top 10 pick, etc. - and he kept sliding and made it to pick 17. 

• Upvote 1

How about the coaching staff doing more to develop both Drew Sample and Tanner Hudson into

more well rounded tight ends?

Now we've established Sample is an excellent blocker, how about getting him into the game as a

target more?  IIRC he catches most of the balls thrown at him (most, not all) but how about getting

him into Joe's playbook a bit more.

One think I like about Tanner is that on 3rd and 4 he runs 5 or 6 yards to catch the ball not 2 like Irv Smurf.

• Upvote 1

Just now, High School Harry said:

How about the coaching staff doing more to develop both Drew Sample and Tanner Hudson into

more well rounded tight ends?

Now we've established Sample is an excellent blocker, how about getting him into the game as a

target more?  IIRC he catches most of the balls thrown at him (most, not all) but how about getting

him into Joe's playbook a bit more.

One think I like about Tanner is that on 3rd and 4 he runs 5 or 6 yards to catch the ball not 2 like Irv Smurf.

Sample doesn't have the speed of most TEs, that's why he is limited in the passing game. 

Hudson doesn't have the strength of most blocking types, which is why he is used as pass catcher.

That's not stuff you can coach into them.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 1:24 PM, claptonrocks said:

Not out of the question to sign a vet .

A one year prove it deal.

No, let's find a good TE and sign him for more than 1 year. 

And let's not trade up for a TE. We can get a Stover or Holker on day 3. They're both better and more rounded than Irv Smith. 

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

No, let's find a good TE and sign him for more than 1 year. 

And let's not trade up for a TE. We can get a Stover or Holker on day 3. They're both better and more rounded than Irv Smith. 

We can't get Stover, nobody can, he said he's going back to tOSU