More proof Bengals must attack TE this offseason

Chris Roling
Fri, Jan 26, 2024, 3:37 PM CST·1 min read

09a05ba6c8fee21a50dbca25ba931422

Not too long ago, we suggested that the Cincinnati Bengals need to take the tight end position much more seriously in order to improve next season.

One of the reasons for that idea was simply how well the position had performed for winning playoff teams over the first two rounds of the postseason.

Fast forward to now, that same logic very much still applies ahead of the AFC and NFC title games.

As Pro Football Network pointed out, all four teams taking part in championship weekend boast a top-10 tight end in terms of receiving yards at the position this year:

Receiving metrics aren’t the only thing that matters, but it just goes to show that having a top-tier player at the position is a big deal for the NFL’s best right now.

That’s important for a Bengals team that likes to be up on league trends, if not ahead of the curve. And it’s especially important for a team that seems likely to lose Tyler Boyd to free agency and franchise tag Tee Higgins, keeping him for at least one more season.

Sure, finding a Travis Kelce or George Kittle isn’t easy. But spending bigger resources in an attempt to find one seems to be a good idea.

https://sports.yahoo.com/more-proof-bengals-must-attack-213730458.html

• Upvote 1

Well, passing on LaPorta was a mistake. Monster pickup for the Lions. Best run blocker of any rookie at any position by the way. But hey, Murphy should show flashes of being mediocre for a while to come. Sorry to be sarcastic and bitter, but articles like this tend to do that to me. Others on here post about the delinquency of duty at the top end of this organization and I'm right there now. We kind of walked ass backwards into Burrow as a no brainer first overall and consequently Chase as well at six, I believe the following year. They certainly set the league on fire coming within a whisker of a ring with the worst Oline anyone can remember. They've acquired a number of pieces to try to fix that problem, but follow through (depth, gelling, development, etc.) just....IDK. Always almost there. So back to the tight end. We need what? O line, D line, defensive back, tight end, and maybe running back. My bitter money is on another short term, "cost effective" tight end showing flashes of mediocrity. Come on Bengals, prove me wrong. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, A Rock said:

Well, passing on LaPorta was a mistake. Monster pickup for the Lions. Best run blocker of any rookie at any position by the way. But hey, Murphy should show flashes of being mediocre for a while to come. Sorry to be sarcastic and bitter, but articles like this tend to do that to me. Others on here post about the delinquency of duty at the top end of this organization and I'm right there now. We kind of walked ass backwards into Burrow as a no brainer first overall and consequently Chase as well at six, I believe the following year. They certainly set the league on fire coming within a whisker of a ring with the worst Oline anyone can remember. They've acquired a number of pieces to try to fix that problem, but follow through (depth, gelling, development, etc.) just....IDK. Always almost there. So back to the tight end. We need what? O line, D line, defensive back, tight end, and maybe running back. My bitter money is on another short term, "cost effective" tight end showing flashes of mediocrity. Come on Bengals, prove me wrong. 

The ignorance of not picking. TE was insane a good TE opens up the middle of the field and has to be accounted for can't have 8 men in the Box with a good TE on the opposing side

• Upvote 1

Not going to happen this year.

Bowers won't drop that low, Bengals would not trade up to get him and 

if available I would prioritize other needs above him/

This Kelly Girls Temp Agency Rent-A-Player free agency crap isn't working, either.

Wait 'til next year when (hopefully) wide receiver/tight end will be our top draft priorities.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

This Kelly Girls Temp Agency Rent-A-Player free agency crap isn't working, either.

Wait 'til next year when (hopefully) wide receiver/tight end will be our top draft priorities.

We'll see how Jatevion Sanders tests from Texas great athlete 

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2024 at 12:28 AM, Arkansas Bengal said:
Chris Roling
Fri, Jan 26, 2024, 3:37 PM CST·1 min read

09a05ba6c8fee21a50dbca25ba931422

Not too long ago, we suggested that the Cincinnati Bengals need to take the tight end position much more seriously in order to improve next season.

One of the reasons for that idea was simply how well the position had performed for winning playoff teams over the first two rounds of the postseason.

Fast forward to now, that same logic very much still applies ahead of the AFC and NFC title games.

As Pro Football Network pointed out, all four teams taking part in championship weekend boast a top-10 tight end in terms of receiving yards at the position this year:

Receiving metrics aren’t the only thing that matters, but it just goes to show that having a top-tier player at the position is a big deal for the NFL’s best right now.

That’s important for a Bengals team that likes to be up on league trends, if not ahead of the curve. And it’s especially important for a team that seems likely to lose Tyler Boyd to free agency and franchise tag Tee Higgins, keeping him for at least one more season.

Sure, finding a Travis Kelce or George Kittle isn’t easy. But spending bigger resources in an attempt to find one seems to be a good idea.

https://sports.yahoo.com/more-proof-bengals-must-attack-213730458.html

Zac Taylor does not seem to think having a good TE,or a good OL are important.He just wants to throw the ball 60 times a game.If his qb,gets hurt,so be it.

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:52 PM, High School Harry said:

Sad we can't acquire a good TE

Hudson has to step up this year.

I dunno bout him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Sad we can't acquire a good TE

Hudson has to step up this year.

I dunno bout him.

On third and four at least he knew to run a 5-6 yard route

unlike Irv Smurf who would go down at 3.

I liked Hudson.

Sadly, I don't think we can address Tight End this year unless 

we pull a Paul Brown* and draft someone at another position and

convert him to tight end.

*Paul Brown was famous for drafting people at one position

and converting them to another.  Booby Clark was a tight end

PB saw and said "he looks like a running back" and viola

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

On third and four at least he knew to run a 5-6 yard route

unlike Irv Smurf who would go down at 3.

I liked Hudson.

Sadly, I don't think we can address Tight End this year unless 

we pull a Paul Brown* and draft someone at another position and

convert him to tight end.

*Paul Brown was famous for drafting people at one position

and converting them to another.  Booby Clark was a tight end

PB saw and said "he looks like a running back" and viola

Wonder if PB would have thought Jmarr Chase looks like a RB??.

😊

54 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Wonder if PB would have thought Jmarr Chase looks like a RB??.

😊

I actually wonder what, besides cut him on the spot, Paul Brown would do with 

Jackson Carman?  Blocking tight end? (although I think free agent pick up Cody Ford is

doing some of that) or even short yardage bowling ball full back... if he can hold on to the ball?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I actually wonder what, besides cut him on the spot, Paul Brown would do with 

Jackson Carman?  Blocking tight end? (although I think free agent pick up Cody Ford is

doing some of that) or even short yardage bowling ball full back... if he can hold on to the ball?

Who were PBs Oline coaches?

Doubt he'd have kept Pollack 

• Upvote 1