CBS: JK Dobbins among free-agent candidates to replace Joe Mixon if Cincinnati cuts RB

Yes, Mixon will be here.

He is a prime exhibit of the Bengals penchant 

for pounding square pegs into round holes and

wondering what is wrong with the hole.

Blahblahblah... last year's stats.

The Cleveland game was a joke vs Cleveland's third stringers

some of whom won't be in the NFL this season.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Yes, Mixon will be here.

He is a prime exhibit of the Bengals penchant 

for pounding square pegs into round holes and

wondering what is wrong with the hole.

Blahblahblah... last year's stats.

The Cleveland game was a joke vs Cleveland's third stringers

some of whom won't be in the NFL this season.

What you just described is their need to run shotgun vs under center.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Do you think they'll change with Pitcher as OC or continue with the shotgun mostly?

I think they were already trying to get Joe more comfortable under center before his calve got hurt. I know Joe likes the shotgun because it allows him to see the field but it also leaves our linemen on an island and makes it harder for them to help each other. I think if we are all behind honest here and not just hating on Mixon, there was a significant improvement in the running game when Browning took over and they ran more under center stuff, hell even the sacks went down. I think Burrow saw that too and will make the changes needed. I don't think this is a issue with having a new OC, I think they wanted to do this last year but Joe got hurt and that changed things. 

As to how much we run under center, hell I'd be happy with 50/50 under center to shotgun

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Run plays out of the shotgun gives Joe Sixgun more time to waddle up to the like. and

do a little dance before running into an O lineman and falling on his ass.

Finding a RB that can run out of the shotgun still doesn't solve the QB sack issue.

You are still hacking at the branches and not the root.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JC said:

They will always be shotgun-centric with Joe Burrow at quarterback. 

Maybe, but I expect them to put him under center a lot more. Piltchner saying "Joe can do anything we ask of him" leads me to think so.

And if not and they insist on continuing to be a Shotgun first team, you better go find Olinemen that can win their matches when they are one on one. Maybe then we can stop this Mixon in the problem nonsense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Finding a RB that can run out of the shotgun still doesn't solve the QB sack issue.

You are still hacking at the branches and not the root.

You can't be talking abut our offensive line :ninja:

We're constantly hearing about our fantastic free agents signing of Karras, Cappa and Brown Jr.

if they're that good why isn't Sixgun in the Pro Bowl and Joe Burrow in one piece for an entire season?

Can't all be Volson's fault.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

You can't be talking abut our offensive line :ninja:

We're constantly hearing about our fantastic free agents signing of Karras, Cappa and Brown Jr.

if they're that good why isn't Sixgun in the Pro Bowl and Joe Burrow in one piece for an entire season?

Can't all be Volson's fault.  

No that Oline, Volson and Williams both suck. Further we have seen the 3 free agents we signed literally go down in their numbers since getting here. Why the Bengals are insisting on keeping Pollack blows my mind.

• Upvote 1

Mixon is a problem though. He’s a big back who is neither elusive nor breaks tackles and can’t pass block. The only thing he does for this team is catches the ball efficiently and doesn’t fumble. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JC said:

Mixon is a problem though. He’s a big back who is neither elusive nor breaks tackles and can’t pass block. The only thing he does for this team is catches the ball efficiently and doesn’t fumble. 

Except he isn't. He literally was playing better when Browning was running under center.

I'm sorry but I'm not joining the group think on this one. Go look at the numbers. Starting at the Jax game when they changed the O for Browning and remove the outliers and you will see overall Mixons YPC was higher than it was before that game. This is literally a scheme issue. 

He's going to be the starting RB this season, and hopefully he isn't taking 80% of the load like he did this past season because that's going to wear on every RB in the league I don't care who you are. We can all talk about finding his replacement next season as I know the Bengals don't give 3rd contracts, but they also don't extend guys only to cut them the very next season. We all know this and the group think folks are just fooling themselves.

Even if he does run better when they put him deep - why do you think the Bengals would change their offense for Joe Mixon? He’s got a ton of mileage, he doesn’t break off big runs, and teams just legitimately do not care if we want to take the ball out of our quarterbacks hands. They would be thrilled.

And they didn’t extend him. They told him to take a pay cut. No one is fooling themselves. It’s a very real possibility and PDJ has alluded to it again and he was spot on with saying the pay cut/outright cut was coming. I’m not sure how else to spell it out for you. It may not come to fruition, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t discussing it.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JC said:

Even if he does run better when they put him deep - why do you think the Bengals would change their offense for Joe Mixon? He’s got a ton of mileage, he doesn’t break off big runs, and teams just legitimately do not care if we want to take the ball out of our quarterbacks hands. They would be thrilled.

And they didn’t extend him. They told him to take a pay cut. No one is fooling themselves. It’s a very real possibility and PDJ has alluded to it again and he was spot on with saying the pay cut/outright cut was coming. I’m not sure how else to spell it out for you. It may not come to fruition, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t discussing it.

It's not a matter of just changing it for Mixon, this also effects Burrow. When the linemen are not left on a island and can work together the blocking improved. When you can run play action pass it forces the defenders to take that extra second to have to think about what you are going to do, that effect the running game and the passing game. Ryan Clarke did a whole segment on this that I wish I could find.

Let's put it this way, what do you think is easier replacing the Oline with guys that win one on one matchups or asking Joey B to run under center a bit more than normal?

Nobody wants to be critical of Joes game around here and suggest he has more he can put in his toolbox. I'm saying it. Joe could be an all time great if he can add this to his game even if its only enough to make defenses guess more.

They literally reworked his deal so it would be a 2 year deal, they could have done it so he would have gotten the money in 1 year, they didn't. He's not going to be cut.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Nobody wants to be critical of Joes game around here and suggest he has more he can put in his toolbox. I'm saying it. Joe could be an all time great if he can add this to his game even if its only enough to make defenses guess more.

I will join you on this. 

St Joseph is not the worst QB in terms of escapability, but he’s nowhere near the best either. I watch Kermit avoid hits and sacks routinely—and how? I’m not a QB coach. 

One thing I do see as (maybe) correctable, is his maddening habit of always turning to his left when pressure arrives—Kermit does exactly the opposite. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

It's not a matter of just changing it for Mixon, this also effects Burrow. When the linemen are not left on a island and can work together the blocking improved. When you can run play action pass it forces the defenders to take that extra second to have to think about what you are going to do, that effect the running game and the passing game. Ryan Clarke did a whole segment on this that I wish I could find.

Let's put it this way, what do you think is easier replacing the Oline with guys that win one on one matchups or asking Joey B to run under center a bit more than normal?

They literally reworked his deal so it would be a 2 year deal, they could have done it so he would have gotten the money in 1 year, they didn't. He's not going to be cut.

What? It was a pay cut in his final two years. Why would they ask him to take less money but only lessen it in year 2? They gave themselves a small dead cap hit in the final year to get out of the contract if they wanted and Joe’s team got the early roster bonus in there so he’s not capital F fucked when the Bengals flirt with every other girl at the bar and strike out.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JC said:

What? It was a pay cut in his final two years. Why would they ask him to take less money but only lessen it in year 2? They gave themselves a small dead cap hit in the final year to get out of the contract if they wanted and Joe’s team got the early roster bonus in there so he’s not capital F fucked when the Bengals flirt with every other girl at the bar and strike out.

Why would they not just ask him to lessen the number of years too? It's simply not in their DNA to redo a guys contract and cut him. The only time I can recall that happening was Maualuga?

By the way the girls at the bar this year aren't all that better looking than Joe, and that includes the draft. Which makes the talk of cutting him even more silly. Dobbins? The guy can't stay healthy. 

27 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I will join you on this. 

St Joseph is not the worst QB in terms of escapability, but he’s nowhere near the best either. I watch Kermit avoid hits and sacks routinely—and how? I’m not a QB coach. 

One thing I do see as (maybe) correctable, is his maddening habit of always turning to his left when pressure arrives—Kermit does exactly the opposite. 

Yes Kermit is much better than Joe at escapability and that's not to say Joe cant move around or get out of bad situations either, it's just that Kermit is better at that. While Joe is much more accurate than Kermit.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Why would they not just ask him to lessen the number of years too? It's simply not in their DNA to redo a guys contract and cut him. The only time I can recall that happening was Maualuga?

By the way the girls at the bar this year aren't all that better looking than Joe, and that includes the draft. Which makes the talk of cutting him even more silly. Dobbins? The guy can't stay healthy. 

What does Joe get out of lessening the years? He has no incentive to do that and the Bengals had no incentive to do it with absolutely nothing behind him. Joe covers his own ass with the early roster bonus. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Nobody is suggesting paying Dobbins 5.8 mil. 

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Nobody is suggesting paying Dobbins 5.8 mil. 

I didn't even bring up a salary. Dobbins can't stay healthy and you guys are ready to replace Mixon with him?

The best ability is availability.