CBS: JK Dobbins among free-agent candidates to replace Joe Mixon if Cincinnati cuts RB

1398196766000-dclark.jpg?width=48&heightDave Clark
Cincinnati Enquirer

Last season was Joe Mixon's fourth in seven in the National Football League as a 1,000-yard rusher for the Cincinnati Bengals.

So why would the Bengals consider moving on from Mixon? The veteran RB is scheduled to collect a $3 million roster bonus in mid-March. And his salary-cap hit for 2024 would be about $8.85 million.

Mixon agreed to a contract restructure last July, meaning he has one year remaining on his current deal with the Bengals.

When NFL free agency starts March 11, Cincinnati might look for someone expected to earn less than Mixon, making him a cap casualty.

CBS Sports' Jordan Dajani lists the Bengals among three potential landing spots for Baltimore Ravens running back and former Ohio State Buckeyes standout JK Dobbins.

Dobbins had 805 rushing yards and nine touchdowns as a rookie in 2020, with 120 receiving yards. But he missed the 2021 season with a torn ACL. He played in eight games in 2022 but suffered another knee injury. And he tore his Achilles in Week 1 of last season.

In January 2023, Dobbins said the Ravens would've won their playoff game in Cincinnati if they'd had Lamar Jackson at quarterback. Tyler Huntley replaced the injured Jackson.

Dobbins had 160 rushing yards on 13 carries in Baltimore's 38-3 win in Cincinnati in January 2021, the final regular-season game of the 2020 season.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2024/02/23/jk-dobbins-is-free-agent-rb-candidate-if-cincinnati-cuts-joe-mixon-salary-cap-casualty/72708809007/?utm_source=cincinnati-bengals-news-strada&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sportsbaseline&utm_term=hero&utm_content=pcin-cincinnati-nletter01

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I like Dobbins and if he's willing to take a cheap 1 year prove-it deal, that would be fine. But I'd rather sign Gus Edwards. 

Baltimore is unloading cap space to try and sign Derrick Henry ( 2yrs 20mil)  so Edwards would make sense for the Bengals to

inquire about 

Or

Just bring back Mixon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Baltimore is unloading cap space to try and sign Derrick Henry ( 2yrs 20mil)  so Edwards would make sense for the Bengals to

inquire about 

Or

Just bring back Mixon.

Yeah...at this point one last ride with Mix

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JC said:

Really, really, like Dobbins. Hate his durability. But he has some juice and the attitude to match it.

I have one of his more expensive rookie cards I pulled from a pack. It was one of five total, and after his rookie year it was worth some $$ but he hasn't been able to stay healthy since then, so I will have to say no. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Gary said:

I have one of his more expensive rookie cards I pulled from a pack. It was one of five total, and after his rookie year it was worth some $$ but he hasn't been able to stay healthy since then, so I will have to say no. 

Makes sense..😎

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Dunno... what kind of chemistry could CEH, Joe and JaMarr recreate?

If cheap, kick the tires.

Correct me if I'm  wrong but doesn't CEH provide the same running skills as Brown?

Aren't they looking  for a thunderous type to go with Brown?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

inquire about 

Or

Just bring back Mixon.

No thanks to Joe. His time here should be over.

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

No thanks on Dobbins. 

Give me Dillon from GB and CEH from KC. 🎁

Nope. We don't need more guys who average less than 4 ypc last year. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Why? Mixon isn't going anywhere the only ones getting triggered are the ones fooling themselves 

These fools haven't even considered the smiles! No one has mentioned Dobbins smiling so hard pass. I bet he doesn't even make fingerguns at the RB coach after he whiffs on yet another blocking assignment. Forget it.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

These fools haven't even considered the smiles! No one has mentioned Dobbins smiling so hard pass. I bet he doesn't even make fingerguns at the RB coach after he whiffs on yet another blocking assignment. Forget it.

Id like to see blocking grades on RBs this past season to see where Mixon slots in.

It may not be as low as some think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Id like to see blocking grades on RBs this past season to see where Mixon slots in.

It may not be as low as some think.

To my eyes it looks like a frequent lack of effort. Just kinda out there doing the bare minimum unless he gets the ball. Like what you might expect from a guy who thinks he's untouchable and can do (or not do) whatever he wants.

Weird, huh?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

To my eyes it looks like a frequent lack of effort. Just kinda out there doing the bare minimum unless he gets the ball. Like what you might expect from a guy who thinks he's untouchable and can do (or not do) whatever he wants.

Weird, huh?

I'll tell ya  Dub I don't think there's many backs that block much.

Maybe you do.