Tee Higgins requests a trade !

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Not sure what you are missing. 

With the money they carried over from last year added to this year's cap, they can spend up to $265 mil this season. They currently have 217 mil committed, leaving them 48 mil available to spend. These numbers don't include today's free agent deals which can't be officially signed or submitted until Wednesday.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals

48 is not 10% of 265.  I'm not great at math but that's an easy one.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The owners of the NFL created a salary cap, it's not mandated by law...

The salary cap is what keeps the NFL the most popular sport in the US, because their attempts to create parity give every fan base irrational hope that they could win it any given year. Look at the MLB and their ratings, for what happens when you don't have a salary cap. 

NFL, it's a collection of greedy organizations that want to maximize their profits while paying the labor as little as possible while capping the salaries of its employees, they don't cap their earnings but they cap their salaries

I'm no fan of corporations exploiting their workers, but we are not talking about kids in Bangladesh sewing luxury clothes for 10 cents an hour. We are talking about guys in some cases making a million dollars every week (in season), for playing a 60 minute game. The average amount an American might make in their entire lifetime. So forgive me if I'm not ready to storm the barricades on behalf of the 'proletariat' players signing 100 million dollar guaranteed contacts. 🙄 

Plus the NFL has to give a set percentage of revenue to the players per their union contact. This is why the cap went up by 30 million. So it isn't "capped". As the league makes more, the players make more proportionally. 

Also, I don't recall you saying anything about the Drew Samples of the world when Joe Burrow signed for over a quarter of a billion dollars...

Burrow took the market rate and just a little above the last QB before him. He didn't hold out, or request a trade, or try to get everything he could. He had huge leverage to demand more if he wanted to.

But I am concerned that QB contracts are getting too high compared to other players on the team. You now have a situation where QBs might be making 50x the amount of an OL playing for the league minimum blocking for them. To me that's not a healthy recipe for a team where guys are expected to put their bodies on the line for each other. i.e. "I do all the blocking and someone else gets most the pay". 

Also, it what company do lower performing employees make more money than high performing ones

In this scenario, the All Pros making 30+ are closer to company CEOs and the guys making 1 mill a year are the factory workers doing just as much of the actual "work". So in your quest to "fight the power" of the owners, you are advocating giving more of the pie to the top 3 guys on each team (the board of directors) over the ones who make them look good by blocking for them, tackling on special teams, and putting their bodies on the line for 25x less money. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

They also have one of the best QBs ever, so yeah...there's that...Mahomes is in a league of his own, I don't even like the guy but he's the best in the business right now...and he has a HOF TE..

Kansas City has a lot of things going on besides a great QB and a HOF head coach. There are other areas where they were the league best or near league best this past season, and they needed all of it plus good health/luck to win a Super Bowl.

A DT as good as any in football.

The best pair of bookend man-to-man CBs in 2023.

The best PK/punting kicking tandem in 2023 (both were huge factors in the low scoring playoffs).  

I didn't even mention the HOF TE yet (although I guess I am now).

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

It's been reported for decades tha Bengals don't negotiate in-season, not sure where you heard that it was Tee that closed off communication...besides the Bengals season has been over for 60 days now...plenty of time to reach out if they wanted to talk. 

Seen it reported that Tee's camp (agent) did shut it off and basically laid out the demands to not return to the table until they were met.  Regardless the trade request is a last ditch effort by his agent to exercise any leverage (which is none) to try and force their hand.  Let's also remember that the reporting breaking news experts like Schefter are basically just mouth pieces for these agents.  Maybe if Tee wanted to be here he could reach out to his agent to find some middle ground?

I think both sides have a hand in this, but if you take a look at Pittman's recently signed contract today I can't imagine the Bengals were that far off from that offer.  Seems the Tee camp wants more than market value.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

think both sides have a hand in this, but if you take a look at Pittman's recently signed contract today I can't imagine the Bengals were that far off from that offer.

Unlike years gone by—before the silly “tampering period”—teams had a fighting chance to actually negotiate with players, along with other teams. This new thing is a calculated guess by teams of what X Player wants—and they have to hit the sweet spot on the day “tampering” begins. 

Plus, the advent of “guaranteed money” makes that guess even more throwing darts at the wall. Since the Bengals won’t even consider guarantees, it makes their dart throwing of virtually no effect 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Seen it reported that Tee's camp (agent) did shut it off and basically laid out the demands to not return to the table until they were met.  Regardless the trade request is a last ditch effort by his agent to exercise any leverage (which is none) to try and force their hand. 

Well that was ill-advised.  They're not going to win a "Who can be the most stubborn & petty?" contest against Ol' Musty.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals are not being forced to do anything.  They own his rights.  Period.  If he holds out he not only doesn’t get paid but is also fined.  If he sits a year, he will wake up next March still a member of the Bengals.  

Unless he signs the tender, he's not under contract and can't be fined. Bengals can tag him again next year for an additional 20% raise or about 26 mil. If he holds out, the team can drop the tag and make him a free agent if they wish. But he can wait until week 11 to show up and be on the roster for 6 games to get credit for the year. 

As a practical matter if he's not traded, he'll sign and show up for week 1. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Unless he signs the tender, he's not under contract and can't be fined. Bengals can tag him again next year for an additional 20% raise or about 26 mil. If he holds out, the team can drop the tag and make him a free agent if they wish. But he can wait until week 11 to show up and be on the roster for 6 games to get credit for the year. 

As a practical matter if he's not traded, he'll sign and show up for week 1. 

True, but he would only be paid for the 6 games and then he would get tagged again 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

48 is not 10% of 265.  I'm not great at math but that's an easy one.

10% of 265 is 26.5 mil. Shocker, right. The Bengals will go into the season with less than 26.5 mil of cap space once they are done with free agency, signing rookies, extending McPherson and perhaps others, etc. Today is just the first day of the negotiating period for UFAs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

True, but he would only be paid for the 6 games and then he would get tagged again 

Then the Bengals would owe him 26 mil for just 2025 and that becomes the baseline on a new contract. But the team will be wanting to extend Chase next offseason so they probably won't actually tag Tee again. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Then the Bengals would owe him 26 mil for just 2025 and that becomes the baseline on a new contract. But the team will be wanting to extend Chase next offseason so they probably won't actually tag Tee again. 

The cap is projected to go up another 20+ Million so they can easily tag him again and if he stays away for 11 games the team will bank that cap space and roll it to 2025. And if he sat out 11 games again he would overall lose $20M or so. Dumb. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

His agent is a pariah the Katy has no

desire to deal with..

He's going to be traded soon .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I mean, I was already on Team TradeHim before he said anything so :shrug:  Nothing against Tee just too many roster holes to worry much about a WR2.

Yeah those dime-a-dozen WR 2’s/3’s. Easily filled with Chuck Fizzle and Trenton Irwin. 

Why am I seeing flashbacks of Rex Burkhead in a starring receiver role against IND? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Yeah those dime-a-dozen WR 2’s/3’s. Easily filled with Chuck Fizzle and Trenton Irwin. 

Why am I seeing flashbacks of Rex Burkhead in a starring receiver role against IND? 

A lot easier to find an extra WR than an OT or NT.

• Upvote 2

And it’s day-late-dollar-short for any meaningful trade anyway. If he’s this dime-a-dozen-oft-injured-not-really-that-good player I’ve been reading about here today, just who is going to ante up all of this lusted draft capital—or do other teams just like to give this stuff away for broken-down nobody WR2’s? 

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

A lot easier to find an extra WR than an OT or NT.

Maybe. But they are looking at—should they actually go through with a “trade”—losing 2/3 of their front line receivers in one off-season. And they are going to be replaced by who exactly? 

It’s a bigger dilemma than what dorks in tank-tops on TV tell everyone 

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

If the Bengals were going to pay 25 for Tee ... Why not go big and do 32 for Jefferson? The extra 7 is certainly worth the difference in talent? 

IMG_20240312_030634.jpg

Jefferson would take 28-30 per multi year.

It won't be here..

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The cap is projected to go up another 20+ Million so they can easily tag him again and if he stays away for 11 games the team will bank that cap space and roll it to 2025. And if he sat out 11 games again he would overall lose $20M or so. Dumb. 

That increase in the cap will be absorbed by contracts the team wants to get done next year. An extension for Chase, new contracts for Cappa and Karras or their replacements. Also the BJ Hill and Sam Hubbard replacements, etc. 

Tee isn't going to sit out 10 games and give up 14 mil. The Bengals aren't going to tag him again next year if he wants out. 

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

And it’s day-late-dollar-short for any meaningful trade anyway. If he’s this dime-a-dozen-oft-injured-not-really-that-good player I’ve been reading about here today, just who is going to ante up all of this lusted draft capital—or do other teams just like to give this stuff away for broken-down nobody WR2’s? 

Carolina seems a likely spot. They just got an early 2nd from the Giants and avoided paying a DE 30 mil per year. 

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Carolina seems a likely spot. They just got an early 2nd from the Giants and avoided paying a DE 30 mil per year. 

I suppose the question begs: why would the moribund/broke CAR turn around and give their premium 2nd rounder to the Bengals…knowing they are going to easily have to pay that same $30 bills? 

Just not seeing it. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Maybe. But they are looking at—should they actually go through with a “trade”—losing 2/3 of their front line receivers in one off-season. And they are going to be replaced by who exactly? 

It’s a bigger dilemma than what dorks in tank-tops on TV tell everyone 

Yeah I get that, I'm not with the "oh well fuck that guy" stuff either.   I assumed he was gone when they drafted Chase & while it's been nice having two players that'd be WR1 on most teams, it's a luxury I don't think we can afford.  A healthy DJ Reader under contract, a solid OL with the majority of them on rookie deals, yeah maybe it makes sense.  Where they're sitting though, I see an extra early draft pick or 2 plus $25M off the books as more value for this team,  To put that a different way, I think Higgins is worth more to other teams than he is to the Bengals.  If that's the case it makes sense to capitalize on it while they can.  

• Upvote 2