Much to ponder this offseason...

The Bengals have alot of decisions to make on what to do with this team in the offseason..
Free agents to be.. some players who'c contracts they want to rid themselves of.. picking up new players via free agency and draft..

Im wondering what to do with
The Dline ... Justin, BRob and Thornton.. cant let all three go
Backers.......does Landon go.. if so do we use a first day draft pick to fill his spot"
Safeties......let Madiue and Jackson walk and go with the rooks or keep one of them ?
Oline..........Is Bluto the answer? needs to get stronger and dont know about his playcalling
.................How about Willie?
Running Backs....Perry and Rudi ??? who do you go with

This team could let go any combo of these guys
Justin
Thornton
BRob
Landon
Madiue
Jackson
Chris Perry
Rudi

Thats alot of vets.. I know they wont all go.. You have to keep units intact with vets to blend with youngsters...
Lots of questions this offseason to be sure....

Thoughts on what lineup youd like to see to improve the team next year
who goes/who stays and what do we do in the draft?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='613423' date='Dec 23 2007, 09:41 PM']the offseason should be truely interesting from day 1 to opening game and final cuts next season.

and im pretty excited to see how the draft goes..[/quote]

i agree 100%

i'm getting the feeling there will be much change in the next 8 months

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='613416' date='Dec 23 2007, 09:30 PM']The Bengals have alot of decisions to make on what to do with this team in the offseason..
Free agents to be.. some players who'c contracts they want to rid themselves of.. picking up new players via free agency and draft..

Backers.......does Landon go.. if so do we use a first day draft pick to fill his spot"
Safeties......let Madiue and Jackson walk and go with the rooks or keep one of them ?
Oline..........Is Bluto the answer? needs to get stronger and dont know about his playcalling

Justin
Thornton
BRob
Landon
Madiue

Jackson
Chris Perry
Rudi

Thats alot of vets.. I know they wont all go.. You have to keep units intact with vets to blend with youngsters...

who goes/who stays and what do we do in the draft?[/quote]

First of all, I think Justin Smith can not leave the Dline. He is one player who seems to come up with a lot of good plays at the right times. I think the linebacker situation is the area that we need to think about most in the offseason. The team really needs to evaluate the likes of Pollack and Thurman and really decide whether or not we need to use a draft pick for a linebacker. I agree that we should keep either madieu or dexter in the safety position, but other than that i think our rookies have a lot of potential. If Willie seems like he is healthy and capable of going a full year then by all means keep him on the Oline. At running back, I think we should definitely keep rudi johnson. Kenny Irons will hopefully be a good addition to the team next year. It will be very exciting to see how things go in the offseason.

Has anyone ever thought that Justin Smith is an ideal 3-4 end? And I'm not talking about sizewise (he's 275 BTW).

He plays the run OK, doesn't give us much of a pass rush anymore, and stilluses a bull rush.

Watching him play, he just seem like he is an ok player but in our 4-3 defense he's a bit miscast. He has the size of a 4-3 DE, but his game seems more suited for teh inside or on a 3-man line.

anyone else feels this way?

I really hope this team resigns Landon and Stacey Andrews. Other than those 2 i dont care who we resign. Madeiu if it isnt expensive would be nice.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='613506' date='Dec 24 2007, 12:04 AM']Has anyone ever thought that Justin Smith is an ideal 3-4 end? And I'm not talking about sizewise (he's 275 BTW).

He plays the run OK, doesn't give us much of a pass rush anymore, and stilluses a bull rush.

Watching him play, he just seem like he is an ok player but in our 4-3 defense he's a bit miscast. He has the size of a 4-3 DE, but his game seems more suited for teh inside or on a 3-man line.

anyone else feels this way?[/quote]
smith blows ass against the run. his tackles vs the run are downfield. he always overpursues and never makes his tackles at the line against the run. i cant wait for him to leave, it will make our run D better immediately.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='613506' date='Dec 24 2007, 12:04 AM']Has anyone ever thought that Justin Smith is an ideal 3-4 end? And I'm not talking about sizewise (he's 275 BTW).

anyone else feels this way?[/quote]
he said earlier in the year that hes not a 3-4 end... so if he thinks it I agree with him

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='613416' date='Dec 23 2007, 09:30 PM']The Bengals have alot of decisions to make on what to do with this team in the offseason..

Justin
Thornton
BRob
Landon
Madiue
Jackson
Chris Perry
Rudi

who goes/who stays and what do we do in the draft?[/quote]
sign Bustin - if you can get him at about 4 mill a year, no more. It won't happen though. Robinson cut. Thornton - restructure his deal for about 2 a year.

resign Landon.

Try to sign Williams if the price is right... it breeds competition at safety without just handing the job to two young guys. Let Jackson go.

Look at drafting / signing a center. Willie can ride off into the sunset. he apparently doesn't see the handwriting on the wall. The last 4 years, while 3 have been pro bowl years, he's had injuries - his body is breaking down on him. Sign Stacey - he can play guard and tackle and why continue drafting "projects" when by the time they're complete and ready to start they're at the end of their rookie contract and we're going to let them walk anyway? If that is the case all we've done is the coaching for another team. The point to a project is to mold it and use it to your benefit. It makes no sense to let him go.

You keep Rudi, Perry, Watson, Irons, De De and let it shake out in TC. Let Rudi prove to you he's still got it.

Now, for my very, merry Christmas wish... let Justin walk and go get Suggs...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='613528' date='Dec 24 2007, 08:14 AM']sign Bustin - if you can get him at about 4 mill a year, no more. It won't happen though. Robinson cut. Thornton - restructure his deal for about 2 a year.

resign Landon.

Try to sign Williams if the price is right... it breeds competition at safety without just handing the job to two young guys. Let Jackson go.

Look at drafting / signing a center. [b]Willie can ride off into the sunset[/b]. he apparently doesn't see the handwriting on the wall. The last 4 years, while 3 have been pro bowl years, he's had injuries - his body is breaking down on him. Sign Stacey - he can play guard and tackle and why continue drafting "projects" when by the time they're complete and ready to start they're at the end of their rookie contract and we're going to let them walk anyway? If that is the case all we've done is the coaching for another team. The point to a project is to mold it and use it to your benefit. It makes no sense to let him go.

You keep Rudi, Perry, Watson, Irons, De De and let it shake out in TC. Let Rudi prove to you he's still got it.

Now, for my very, merry Christmas wish... let Justin walk and go get Suggs...[/quote]

...along with our running game.

You won this game because Willie was in it. If you don't care about winning then I understand your comment.

Right now, Marvin has some tough decisions to make. Win games with Willie for the next few seasons or pay a kid megabucks to continue his training until he becomes useful in the running game but keep in mind Marvin's job is on the line next season. Its a tough choice. This is the reason I wanted to trade Stacey last season for a draft pick and never look back. Now Marvin will lose all that coaching effort put into the "project" that is Stacey Andrews if he just lets him walk. Its a tough spot to be in and I blame Paul Alexander for the lack of communication to Marvin about Stacey's progress last offseason when Marvin decided to keep him. Its obvious Marvin didn't know how much more work needed to be put into this kid.

There should be substantial turnover in the roster this offseason. I'd let Justin, Thornton, Robinson, Anderson, Rudi, Perry, Madieu, and Landon all walk. Probably Reggie Kelley too. I'd try to sign a FA Dlineman and linebacker, draft another d-lineman or two, along with a receiving and blocking TE. Re-sign Stacey.

IMO our ability to run the ball yesterday had less to do with who the Bengals played on the line than Cleveland's injury problems on the line.

This team needs to get both better and younger.

[quote name='Jeb' post='613529' date='Dec 24 2007, 08:30 AM']...along with our running game.

You won this game because Willie was in it. If you don't care about winning then I understand your comment.

Right now, Marvin has some tough decisions to make. Win games with Willie for the next few seasons or pay a kid megabucks to continue his training until he becomes useful in the running game but keep in mind Marvin's job is on the line next season. Its a tough choice. This is the reason I wanted to trade Stacey last season for a draft pick and never look back. Now Marvin will lose all that coaching effort put into the "project" that is Stacey Andrews if he just lets him walk. Its a tough spot to be in and I blame Paul Alexander for the lack of communication to Marvin about Stacey's progress last offseason when Marvin decided to keep him. Its obvious Marvin didn't know how much more work needed to be put into this kid.[/quote]

While Ill agree with you to some extent that Willie ( when healthy ) brings more to the running game than Andrews at this time the Browns run defense is horrible and all teams run on them at will...
They'll have the worst defense of a playoff team ( if they make it ) since they started the playoff with wild card format.....
Im not sold on Andrews yet....your right in saying whats the point in a project such as he and then let him walk ....Its a question of "how much" does he expect to be compensated....

Critical situations, evaluations and decisons about this team are on the horizon.. Hopefully Lewis makes the right calls to get this team into playoff contention next season.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='613536' date='Dec 24 2007, 09:09 AM']While Ill agree with you to some extent that Willie ( when healthy ) brings more to the running game than Andrews at this time the Browns run defense is horrible and all teams run on them at will...
They'll have the worst defense of a playoff team ( if they make it ) since they started the playoff with wild card format.....
Im not sold on Andrews yet....your right in saying whats the point in a project such as he and then let him walk ....Its a question of "how much" does he expect to be compensated....

Critical situations, evaluations and decisons about this team are on the horizon.. Hopefully Lewis makes the right calls to get this team into playoff contention next season.[/quote]

Yesterday they overloaded Willie's side of the line in an effort to shut him down. Brat ran a lot of plays on the left side and we gained much ground because of it. Willie gives us more than good blocking but also the threat of him helps the running game. Teams tend to ignore Stacey. Marvin won't get rid of Willie. He can't afford that gamble next season but I can see dropping Justin and using the money on bringing back Stacey. I wouldn't be surprised to see them both back next season.

[quote name='Jeb' post='613529' date='Dec 24 2007, 08:30 AM']...along with our running game.

[b]You won this game because Willie was in it[/b]. If you don't care about winning then I understand your comment.

Right now, Marvin has some tough decisions to make. Win games with Willie for the next few seasons or pay a kid megabucks to continue his training until he becomes useful in the running game but keep in mind Marvin's job is on the line next season. Its a tough choice. This is the reason I wanted to trade Stacey last season for a draft pick and never look back. Now Marvin will lose all that coaching effort put into the "project" that is Stacey Andrews if he just lets him walk. Its a tough spot to be in and I blame Paul Alexander for the lack of communication to Marvin about Stacey's progress last offseason when Marvin decided to keep him. Its obvious Marvin didn't know how much more work needed to be put into this kid.[/quote]
No we didn't. We won this game because Cleveland's defense is shit - worst in the NFL...

I'll agree Willie is a better tackle than Stacey, when healthy. But how much can you count on him being healthy? Especially at the price you're paying him right now...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='613548' date='Dec 24 2007, 09:30 AM']No we didn't. We won this game because Cleveland's defense is shit - worst in the NFL...

I'll agree Willie is a better tackle than Stacey, when healthy. But how much can you count on him being healthy? Especially at the price you're paying him right now...[/quote]

The price your paying him is to win football games. When he's in the games, ...we win.

Mike Brown ponied up the money to win football games by paying Willie, ...it was a good choice.

I confess, ...I like to win!

[quote name='sparky151' post='613549' date='Dec 24 2007, 09:30 AM']I wouldn't draw any conclusions from yesterday's game. The Browns only had 5 D-lineman active for the game and lost two of them in the first half. They only had 1 of their full strength starters on the field during the second half and the three guys they had took every snap.[/quote]

Yeah, that part irks me too. Willie wanted to come back for the Stoolers game but Marvin wanted Stacey to start. The Stoolers game would have proved a better test of Willie. I wish Willie would have come back for the Stoolers game, ...we needed that win!

Archived