Would you take a 10-6 season and playoff birth?

Would you take a 10-6 season and playoff birth?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the opportunity to make the Bengals 10-6 with a playoff birth (either wildcard or division, based on how the rest of the division does) would you take the offer, or would you rather just let the season play out like it is?

• Yes
    • No

Dont get me wrong, I think we will win somewhere around 12 games and easily win the division, but if right now you could make it so we are 10-6 and make the playoffs i think I might take it, it would be a guarantee into the playoffs, but it would also be a game less than we won last year. Would you take a 10-6 record if it was given to you?

the whole purpose of playing the regular season is to get into the playoffs so if a magical genie gave me a garauntee right now and we didn't have to play the regular season I'd be dumb not to take it. Regular season record and division championships mean very little to me as long as we're in the playoffs.

Guest IndianaBengal

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='326159' date='Aug 29 2006, 06:26 PM']Depends, what is the stealers record?
:ninja:[/quote]
aggreed. the potential here is a top 3 offense. a top 12 defense, imo. resulting in playoffs and 12+ wins..

Guest IndianaBengal
i guess i'm greedy. I want the Bengals to dominate like the 85 Bears.. didn't Marvin warn his players not to settle for mediocrity? That could be applied to his fan-base also. If you wish.

[quote name='WhoDeyForever' post='326163' date='Aug 29 2006, 06:31 PM']I'm sorry but I just dont see the reason for this thread...its pointless IMO[/quote]

I guess my point is basically, what is more important to you, making the playoffs and having a 10 win team, or trying to be the best team in the NFL with a chance of something bad happening and not making the playoffs...

Absolutely, unequivically NO! Making the playoffs is not the goal, it is a step toward the goal. The goal is to win the Superbowl. I expect this team to compete for the best record in the AFC and home field advantage in the playoffs. Giving up on that, to assure a playoff spot is.....weak, reeks of insecurity, and a loser mentality.

Guest WhoDeyForever
[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='326167' date='Aug 29 2006, 06:38 PM']I guess my point is basically, what is more important to you, making the playoffs and having a 10 win team, or trying to be the best team in the NFL with a chance of something bad happening and not making the playoffs...[/quote]

Ok I see I was thinking of something else sorry...But I would wanna play out the season and maybe possibly going undefeated

[quote name='Phatcat' post='326171' date='Aug 29 2006, 06:42 PM']Absolutely, unequivically NO! Making the playoffs is not the goal, it is a step toward the goal. The goal is to win the Superbowl. I expect this team to compete for the best record in the AFC and home field advantage in the playoffs. Giving up on that, to assure a playoff spot is.....weak, reeks of insecurity, and a loser mentality.[/quote]
If you don't get into the playoffs you have no shot at the superbowl. with the amount of injuries that happen over the course of the season it would be much nicer to take a 100% healthy squad into the playoffs (unlike last year). It's like if someone told you you could retire to Florida now, forgoe a life's work of toil, and eat lobster and steak everyday for dinner with a fat pension and no debt, or you could work until you're 60 at which point you may or may not be able to retire, might end up living in a trailer in pissburgh with mountains of debt, eating cat food for dinner with not enough money to buy your meds. Being proud and confident is one thing but passing up a sure bet is idiotic.

last time I checked they don't hand out trophies for division championships and homefield advantage and the squealers (with help from cheap shots and officials, I know) proved home field advantage means about as much in the playoffs as regular season records

and the question posed does not imply that we stop in the playoffs, just that we get a free pass there to continue toward a super bowl

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='326181' date='Aug 29 2006, 06:57 PM']dream on...lol 12-4 at best...[/quote]

I believe that we have the potential to go 13-3 if everyone does their job the entire season and if no one from our starting line up on either side of the ball recieves a serious injury which in my opinion means that they miss more than 3 games.

What do those teams that went 14-2 have that we don't have?

A) we have an easy division.
B) we have what looks to be an easy schedule now that we got to see some of these teams in the pre-season.
C) we have the best TEAM in the NFL.

Only tough teams we play this year are New England, Carolina, Indy, and Denver. The rest of our schedule are easy W's.

[quote name='Gary' post='326263' date='Aug 29 2006, 09:26 PM']What do those teams that went 14-2 have that we don't have?

A) we have an easy division.
B) we have what looks to be an easy schedule now that we got to see some of these teams in the pre-season.
C) we have the best TEAM in the NFL.

Only tough teams we play this year are New England, Carolina, Indy, and Denver. The rest of our schedule are easy W's.[/quote]

:huh:

I agree with C but the first two statements are not so accurate. In addition to the four teams mentioned above, we play Atlanta, pissburgh twice, Baltimore twice, Tampa Bay and San Diego. Definitely not easy in my eyes. I do like the optimism though.

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='IKOTA' post='326394' date='Aug 29 2006, 10:09 PM']:huh:

I agree with C but the first two statements are not so accurate. In addition to the four teams mentioned above, we play Atlanta, pissburgh twice, Baltimore twice, Tampa Bay and San Diego. Definitely not easy in my eyes. I do like the optimism though.[/quote]

atlanta...blah Michael Vick is one of the worst QBs in the NFL and he gets big talk only because he is fast. He has 0 accuracy and i expect our secondary to catch more passes than any of their WRs.

Baltimore...they play us close but their team is bad...if we lose to them we dont deserve the playoffs. They lost that DT Kematou and Weaver and Demps and didnt really add shit. The defense is another year older, their oline is older, Jamal Lewis is older and Derrick Mason is older. Most of their "key players" are getting up their in age. The only true youth on this team is Reed and Suggs, so as each year goes by they get worse imo. Mcnair isnt much of an upgrade cuz he is fragile as fuck and will get destroyed behind that oline.

Tampa Bay...if we stop the run game we win easy cuz their passing game is weak as hell. Their safeties are young as hell so i think we can pick on them pretty easy.

San Diego...LT scares me and their defense is young and pretty strong, but they have a guy starting his first year at QB. Idk if we can stop gates or lt, but idk if Rivers can get the ball to Gates without making a lot of throwing mistakes first.

we probably split with pissburgh.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='326445' date='Aug 29 2006, 09:53 PM']their defense is another year older, their oline is older, Jamal Lewis is older and Derrick Mason is older.[/quote]Unlike our players who never age! [img]http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smiles/banana.gif[/img]

You have consider the history of the franchise. Once you do the answer is YES!

They haven't produced back to back winning seasons since 81/82. Also the last time they had back to back playoff appearances.

Probalbly haven't recorded double digit wins in back to back seasons since the 70s.

Without a doubt if someone gauranteed that would happen today, I'd take it.

Archived