Andrew Whitworth

First of all, let me say that I like Andrew Whitworth and that I hope he is a dominant force for the Bengals for years to come.... but...

I couldn't help but notice that the announcers kept reffering to the Bengals style of football and how it was not built to play smashmouth, run-the-ball-40-times football. The Bengals are a finesse team who relies on the passing game. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I love our reputation and playing style.

But if all of that is true, why do we draft big lumbering lineman like Whitworth? Sure he was the best player avaliable at the time of the pick, but if we are a finesse team, why don't we get smaller, more agile pass blocking lineman? Whitworth looked big and slow out there versus the Colts.

I know that the Colts have some of the best pass rushers out there, but it seems that drafting the best guy avaliable isn't a great strategy.

I don't want to come across as complaining, just an observation and a question for those of you guys who know more about football than me. Thanks!

stealers Jerome fat fuck bettis
(I typed those so the filter could change them heheheheh)

the bengals have to be a hard-nosed smashmouth type of team because they play in the in the cold, the afc, and more specifically the afc north. the perception that this team is a finesse team only comes from the fact that we are more successful at the pass than our typical competition, and that our defense sucks. we are more of a finesse team than the others in our division, but that is a good thing. on the other hand, we are not some high flying nfc team. the bengals play solid football when we gameplan correctly and are not missing a defense and entire oline. whit will be a stud, btw.

I honestly can't imagine a rookie LT playing better than he has played this season...Aside from Monday, he has been incredible.

This is hardly the best he will ever be, either. 2 years from now he will be an absolute mainstay on the line.

That having been said, I think he was drafted to be a starting RT in 2 years and not the starting LT on this past Monday night in Indy.

And RT is probably where he will end up eventually, barring any recurring problems with Levi's health. Big Willie's joints can only take so much.

BZ

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='TheBZ' post='411370' date='Dec 20 2006, 03:44 AM']I honestly can't imagine a rookie LT playing better than he has played this season...Aside from Monday, he has been incredible.

This is hardly the best he will ever be, either. 2 years from now he will be an absolute mainstay on the line.

That having been said, I think he was drafted to be a starting RT in 2 years and not the starting LT on this past Monday night in Indy.

And RT is probably where he will end up eventually, barring any recurring problems with Levi's health. Big Willie's joints can only take so much.

BZ[/quote]

There's a guy on the Chargers who has been playing exceptionally this season, rookie LT.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='411367' date='Dec 20 2006, 02:00 AM']the bengals have to be a hard-nosed smashmouth type of team because they play in the in the cold, the afc, and more specifically the afc north[/quote]

No they don't. And they are not a hard nosed smashmouth team. We are almost the definition of a finesse team.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='411388' date='Dec 20 2006, 06:57 AM']No they don't. And they are not a hard nosed smashmouth team. We are almost the definition of a finesse team.[/quote]

Is Rudi Johnson a finesse back?

Are Bobbie Williams and Willie Anderson finesse players?

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='411387' date='Dec 20 2006, 06:55 AM']There's a guy on the Chargers who has been playing exceptionally this season, rookie LT.[/quote]
Marcus McNeil.

Wasn't Whit projected to move to right tackle anyways?

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='411367' date='Dec 20 2006, 02:00 AM']the bengals have to be a hard-nosed smashmouth type of team because they play in the in the cold, the afc, and more specifically the afc north. the perception that this team is a finesse team only comes from the fact that we are more successful at the pass than our typical competition, and that our defense sucks. we are more of a finesse team than the others in our division, but that is a good thing. on the other hand, we are not some high flying nfc team. the bengals play solid football when we gameplan correctly and are not missing a defense and entire oline. whit will be a stud, btw.[/quote]
[b]I agree ..he will be a stud..He is not only physically gifted but he is a really smart player..He will do nothing but improve...Great pick!![/b]

I don't think of Whitworth as a big, lumbering lineman. For his size, I think he's a very good athlete. I remember at the Combine, he ran around a 5.1 for the 40, which for a guy at 340 lbs and 6-7 is quite good.

He's not the athlete that Levi Jones is at LT, but he wasn't drafted to be that. I think Whitworth will make a very good guard or RT. Monday night, for the first time, showed that he's not Levi, and he got exposed against a quicker, faster athlete in pass protection. I thought he held up well in the run game, though. But it's not every week that he faces Dwight Freeney on the pass rush. This year, he seemed to handle Mike Rucker, Will Smith (who beat him for one sack), and Terrell Suggs well, and two of them are Pro Bowl guys this year - and Rucker has been a very productive pass rusher for several years.

I have the NFL Sunday Ticket, so I get to see a lot of games. And other than Marcus McNeil (LT for SD) and Nick Mangold (C for Jets), I don't think there's been a rookie OL any more impressive than Whitworth.

[quote name='texbengal' post='411402' date='Dec 20 2006, 07:23 AM']I don't think of Whitworth as a big, lumbering lineman. For his size, I think he's a very good athlete. I remember at the Combine, he ran around a 5.1 for the 40, which for a guy at 340 lbs and 6-7 is quite good.

He's not the athlete that Levi Jones is at LT, but he wasn't drafted to be that. I think Whitworth will make a very good guard or RT. Monday night, for the first time, showed that he's not Levi, and he got exposed against a quicker, faster athlete in pass protection. I thought he held up well in the run game, though. But it's not every week that he faces Dwight Freeney on the pass rush. This year, he seemed to handle Mike Rucker, Will Smith (who beat him for one sack), and Terrell Suggs well, and two of them are Pro Bowl guys this year - and Rucker has been a very productive pass rusher for several years.

I have the NFL Sunday Ticket, so I get to see a lot of games. And other than Marcus McNeil (LT for SD) and Nick Mangold (C for Jets), I don't think there's been a rookie OL any more impressive than Whitworth.[/quote]
[b]Agreed...he is a player...[/b]

Guest mongoloido
One less than stellar performance against one of the best pass rushers, and sois wonders if he was a bad pick? The simplest answer is that if takes you til the 11th start of his rookie season to see a hint of poor play, he's probably a good pick... particularly if it has to come against Freeney, on the road, in the loudest stadium in pro sports.

I'd bet big money Whitworth would have handled Freeney at home, where he could hear the snap counts. You can't ask a rookie to take on one of the fastest linemen in the game without the benefit of being able to hear... Still, I'd even bet Whitworth will handle Freeney the next time they face each other, regardless of location. The kid's smart and talented. No way that guy tees him up again.

We got a fantastic player in Whitworth. He's got a hell of a future here.

[quote name='mongoloido' post='411430' date='Dec 20 2006, 08:46 AM']One less than stellar performance against one of the best pass rushers, and sois wonders if he was a bad pick? The simplest answer is that if takes you til the 11th start of his rookie season to see a hint of poor play, he's probably a good pick... particularly if it has to come against Freeney, on the road, in the loudest stadium in pro sports.

I'd bet big money Whitworth would have handled Freeney at home, where he could hear the snap counts. You can't ask a rookie to take on one of the fastest linemen in the game without the benefit of being able to hear... Still, I'd even bet Whitworth will handle Freeney the next time they face each other, regardless of location. The kid's smart and talented. No way that guy tees him up again.

We got a fantastic player in Whitworth. He's got a hell of a future here.[/quote]
[b]word[/b]

The fact that we've been playing the majority of the season with a second string LT and we are still in the thick of a playoff race should tell you everything you need to know about Whitworth.

Once Willie retires to FatBurger Heaven Whitworth will hold down the RT and we will still have one of the best tackle tandems in the NFL.

For his production he could have easily been a top 10 pick, as a matter of fact he's having a better season than top 5 pick D'Brickshaw Ferguson who is also playing LT.

Last year Pro Bowl mainstay Jonathan Ogden got taken to school by Freeney similar to our rookie LT, so just because the kid had a bad day at the office vs. one of the premiere sack artist in the NFL doesn't mean he not a hell of a player.

[quote name='Nelson Muntz' post='411456' date='Dec 20 2006, 09:20 AM']The fact that we've been playing the majority of the season with a second string LT and we are still in the thick of a playoff race should tell you everything you need to know about Whitworth.

Once Willie retires to FatBurger Heaven Whitworth will hold down the RT and we will still have one of the best tackle tandems in the NFL.
For his production he could have easily been a top 10 pick, as a matter of fact he's having a better season than top 5 pick D'Brickshaw Ferguson who is also playing LT.
[b]Last year Pro Bowl mainstay Jonathan Ogden got taken to school by Freeney similar to our rookie LT, so just because the kid had a bad day at the office vs. one of the premiere sack artist in the NFL doesn't mean he not a hell of a player.[/b][/quote]

I remember that game and was thinking the same thing as I read this thread.

Also, Freeny may have gotten 3 sacks, but Steinbach is just as culpable as Whitworth on two of them. The first one on the first series of the game, Steinbach got blown up by McFarland with a simple bull rush that literally pushed Steiny 2 to 3 yards back into Carson. Carson then scrambled right into Freeny who was as that point out of the play if Steinbach held his ground. And a second one, could also be equally put on Steiny. The sick spin move that Freeny put on Whitworth to the inside, Steiny was blocking no one. The DT had moved over Ghiaciuc. Steiny whiffed as bad as Whitworth on that play as he tried to help but it was too late. His recognition was way too slow and just caught standing flatfooted.

I'll give Whitworth the benefit of the doubt, but not Steinbach.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='411547' date='Dec 20 2006, 11:20 AM']God damn, a dude has one bad game and we start a "was he a bad pick?" thread? For fucks sake, are you are 100% successful, 100% of the time in everything you do? He's a rookie, there WILL be growing pains.
Worst.
Thread.
Ever.

:thumbsdown:[/quote]

QFT

[quote name='SlantNGo' post='411478' date='Dec 20 2006, 09:55 AM']It took him about three or four years before I trusted him in pass blocking.[/quote]

You didn't trust Levi until last year?

Levi just entered his 5th season. He is not a 10 year vet. To a degree he struggled his first year as most do -------- When injury free, he has shut out just about everyone he has faced.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Jason' post='411392' date='Dec 20 2006, 07:01 AM']Is Rudi Johnson a finesse back?

Are Bobbie Williams and Willie Anderson finesse players?[/quote]

No they're just big fat linemen, just like the majority of other linemen.

Archived