The unexpected

[quote name='Phatcat' post='533867' date='Aug 26 2007, 07:40 PM']No doubt. Several guys are not going to make it.

Here are my locks:
Geathers
Justin
Peko
Then you have the rest fighting for 5 spots (I guess it could be 6 if they keep 9 OL - but unlikely IMHO):
JT
Myers
Allen
Robinson
Fanene
Rucker
Toeaina

I think Allen gets cut and then perhaps Toeaina to PS. But if the Bengals are high on Toe there is no way they put him on the PS which means someone else has to go. I first thought Robinson would be the guy released, then when Fanene and Rucker could not practice or play I thought Robinson was a lock. Now I have no clue. I will definitely be watching Fanene and Rucker this week as well as Toe.[/quote]
Good posts guys. Those guys are surely on the bubble, and it seems that due to uncertainty/mediocrity along our Dline besides the locks that it's up in the air.
Toe's TD couldn't have hurt his chances even though it was a flukey thing, and Peko surely is lobbying for him, but...we have a lot of issues along that position in the backups.
Rucker would be an easy mark for being cut if he didn't play at USC, wasn't good there and wasn't a 3rd rounder...his injuries are holding him back. If he can possibly make some plays within the next two games AND stay healthy, then he stays.
Fanene was a 7th rounder, but has shown some good things....but yet again, WHEN healthy.
Robinson is average, even if people ring his bell because he plays "both positions with ease"...which to me means too big and slow to play DE and too undersized to play DT....
Myers has looked pretty damn good in the preaseason and is a veteran with tackling ability...I think he stays.
Allen I haven't seen enough on, but didn't he make some plays in the 2nd preseason game (against scrubs?).
I see no indication that JT gets cut unless his production gets measured with a serious eye towards his salary...I don't think that matches up to well, but he isn't bad and he's a "Marvin" guy, so...I think he stays too. He's an important part of the DT rotation, at least for freshness of legs.
Who knows? That position alone will be an interesting one to see what happens.
Perhaps we should do a position by position thread for cutdowns...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='533870' date='Aug 26 2007, 09:42 PM']i think rucker is gone. then either myers allen or robinson.[/quote]

Rucker is an enigma to me. I go back and forth. In the roster constest, I had him making it, and for only one reason. Someone in this organization thought highly enough of him to use a 3rd round draft choice. I know his draft round selection means nothing to production on the field, but since we have seen little of him on the field do to injury and the fact that the Bengals are very patient with 1st day picks, even when injured........ ah what the hell am I talking about - I took a wild ass guess. ;)

If we keep 9, JT might be a suprise cut.

DE: Geathers, Smith, Rucker
DT: Thornton, Myers, Peko, Allen
Combo: Robinson, Fanene, Toenia

Looks like we have a nice mix of veterans and some younger guys. If we only keep nine, Thornton could (and IMO should) be the odd man out. If not him, then Fanene, just because of the injury bug that seems to follow him around. It also looks like our D-Line has the potential to be solid; no superstars, but all decent players. Going into this season I though our line would be below average, but I think we'll have an average line. Thoughts?

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='534082' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:16 AM']If we keep 9, JT might be a suprise cut.

Looks like we have a nice mix of veterans and some younger guys. If we only keep nine, Thornton could (and IMO should) be the odd man out. If not him, then Fanene, just because of the injury bug that seems to follow him around. It also looks like our D-Line has the potential to be solid; no superstars, but all decent players. Going into this season I though our line would be below average, but I think we'll have an average line. Thoughts?[/quote]

Alot of discussion on this topic here: [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=35123"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=35123[/url]

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='534114' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:44 AM']All these players are possible cuts IMO:

Indiana Jones
Antonio Chatman
Keiwan Ratliff
John Thornton
B-Rob
Tim Day
Brandon Williams
Blue Adams
Reggie McNeal
Stan White[/quote]

if mcneal is on the list, brazell should be too.

[quote name='WRAPradio' post='534082' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:16 AM']If we keep 9, JT might be a suprise cut.

Looks like we have a nice mix of veterans and some younger guys. If we only keep nine, Thornton could (and IMO should) be the odd man out. If not him, then Fanene, just because of the injury bug that seems to follow him around. It also looks like our D-Line has the potential to be solid; no superstars, but all decent players. Going into this season I though our line would be below average, but I think we'll have an average line. Thoughts?[/quote]

I don't think so. If the quality of his play was in question AT ALL in Marvin's mind, he would have been cut long ago. He would save us $3.5M in cap space, and we could have used the money.

[quote name='dacow' post='534178' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:03 PM']I'm going with the shocker--Ahmad Brooks. [b]Dude can't play middle linebacker, period[/b]. If he hasn't done well on teams, I think they could just let him go.[/quote]

He is going through an adjustment that is taking longer than expected, that is true. But he will not be cut, and will be a stud MLB sooner than later.

[quote name='dacow' post='534178' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:03 PM']I'm going with the shocker--Ahmad Brooks. Dude can't play middle linebacker, period. If he hasn't done well on teams, I think they could just let him go.[/quote]
It is your opinion... but nah - no way. I think there's a better chance it snows tonight.

[quote name='Jason' post='534182' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:07 PM']He is going through an adjustment that is taking longer than expected, that is true. But he will not be cut, and will be a stud MLB sooner than later.[/quote]

There's not been much that has shown me he is going to be a stud linebacker. Maybe tonight will be different, but so far, I have been let down.

I'm just hoping for a decent starter right now that can make a great play or two a game.

[quote name='dacow' post='534178' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:03 PM']I'm going with the shocker--Ahmad Brooks. Dude can't play middle linebacker, period. If he hasn't done well on teams, I think they could just let him go.[/quote]

No way... Don't pass judgement until we see him perform in the regular season. I think Justin Smith even made a comment about how people were slamming some of the LB's and stated that it was partially the fault of the DL and their assignments.... Too early to be cutting your starters [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/7.gif[/img]

Nomination for the dumbest post ever.

Nobody has mentioned Jreemi Johnson yet, so I'll throw his name out there. When I was at camp he looked fat & out of shape, & that was in street cloths! He had to play his way into shape last season after eating himself into oblivion. He did it again this year too!

Manderino can probably fill in & be effective.

[quote name='stinger223' post='534309' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:56 PM']Nobody has mentioned Jreemi Johnson yet, so I'll throw his name out there. When I was at camp he looked fat & out of shape, & that was in street cloths! He had to play his way into shape last season after eating himself into oblivion. He did it again this year too!

Manderino can probably fill in & be effective.[/quote]

cap hit and salary alone keep JJ on the team this year...

[quote name='stinger223' post='534309' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:56 PM']Nobody has mentioned Jreemi Johnson yet, so I'll throw his name out there. When I was at camp he looked fat & out of shape, & that was in street cloths! He had to play his way into shape last season after eating himself into oblivion. He did it again this year too![/quote]

Looks like dacow's post already has competition.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='534322' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:06 PM']Looks like dacow's post already has competition.[/quote]

there is atelast backing to the JJ case... showing up fat as fuck two years straight, likely the cause of his leg problems last year making him invisible, and not he is invisible again..and hurt again...

if it werent for his pay, he would be on the bubble big time

Look, I don't really expect it will happen but it could. Ahmad showes a lot of hesitation to me. I don't think he will start. If they don't think he is going to ever "get it" and if he isn't a good teams player (2 big ifs that I don't have the answer to) then they could make the cut. Rememeber he was deactivated for the last half of the year. WHy do that again? He has to show at some point he can contribute or they just let him go. Since he was taken with a 3rd they proabably won't cut ties yet. Stay tuned. My bet is he does not start against the Ravens or is given a quick hook.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='534325' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:09 PM']there is atelast backing to the JJ case... showing up fat as fuck two years straight, likely the cause of his leg problems last year making him invisible, and not he is invisible again..and hurt again...

if it werent for his pay, he would be on the bubble big time[/quote]

Fair enough, but yeah, you don't sign a guy to a 5 year deal and then cut him the next preseason.

Archived