I'd like to take out some space to let Adam Dunn's haters apologize to him...

sm00th_kw

[i]Looking at Dunn's stats[/i]:

[i]His BA at Home[/i]: .281 / [i]Away[/i]: .244

[i]Day[/i]: .325 / [i]Night[/i]: .240

[i]Righties[/i]: .283 / [i]Lefties[/i]: .225

[i]So, he is alot better hitter at home, playing during the day facing righties.[/i]

[quote name='bengalrick' post='535571' date='Aug 28 2007, 10:15 AM']really? we get two first rounders for losing him? plus the first rounder we will already have, or we will just get one first round pick for letting him walk? either way, that is a strong arguement...[/quote]

A strong argument for the 2015 version of the Redlegs...maybe.

[quote name='Lawman' post='536668' date='Aug 29 2007, 06:48 PM'][i]Looking at Dunn's stats[/i]:

[i]His BA at Home[/i]: .281 / [i]Away[/i]: .244

[i]Day[/i]: .325 / [i]Night[/i]: .240

[i]Righties[/i]: .283 / [i]Lefties[/i]: .225

[i]So, he is alot better hitter at home, playing during the day facing righties.[/i][/quote]
PLATOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='536692' date='Aug 29 2007, 07:32 PM']A strong argument for the 2015 version of the Redlegs...maybe.[/quote]

three first round picks are a huge deal... two of our last 3 first rounders are homer bailey and jay bruce...

and dunn is not that great... how about last night costing us 2 runs... marty said after the game that he has never seen anything like that before...

you build teams around hamilton, phillips, and harang... not dunn...

• 1 month later...
Who were the #1's from 1990 to 2003? Yeah, my point exactly. Its no guarantee, ever. But especially in baseball.

Oh, and this was in the paper today.

[quote]Agrees Brantley: "There's so much to talk about when people hear the name 'Adam Dunn.' He represents the good and the bad when it comes to a baseball player. ... The perception (of those differences) is what makes people respond. But for who he is, and for what God-given talent he's got, he does a pretty damn good job."

Brantley said he's changed his opinion of Dunn after watching him over the course of a full season.

"Big-time," he said. "I've had an opportunity to watch him through thick and thin. After taking away all of the perceptions I had of him, and giving him a fresh start and saying (to myself) after the All-Star break, 'What kind of ballplayer would I rate this guy?' my rating is, 'Impressive.' "

Marty Brennaman, who has not minced words when it has come to critiquing Dunn's game, also said his view of the player has changed. Brennaman said he's impressed that Dunn, who had arthroscopic knee surgery last week, played with knee pain the past two seasons and never let on publicly.

"I'm not so sure that the knee wasn't bothering him a helluva lot longer than he let on," Brennaman said. "And you know something? If this team were playing for something right now, he'd be in the lineup."

LINGERING KNEE PAIN

Two days after Brennaman's comments, Dunn was sitting on a couch in the middle of the Reds clubhouse signing baseball cards for charity. He admitted that the knee bothered him not only this season, but last season as well.

He would have had surgery last season, he said, but the Reds were in a pennant race, so he put off surgery and instead began rehabbing the knee in October, thinking the knee would heal. It never did.

In other words, Dunn took a bad knee into this season and still had another big year at the plate.

Dunn said he feels good after the surgery to clean out the knee and repair a torn meniscus.[/quote]

But fuck 'em, eh? Those guys don't know shit right?

• 9 months later...
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='682384' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:51 AM']while he has been hot lately. he still isnt a guy that this team can have if they want to compete.[/quote]

I would hate to see what this offense would look like without him in there. How many statistical categories does he have to lead the team in for your approval?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='682381' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:45 AM']yea 30 more strikeouts than anyone else on the team... sweeeet. 105 and counting..

dunn fucking sucks.

batting 241 is pretty sweet too...[/quote]

Trails Hairston in OBP by 12 points despite playing twice as many games.
Leads the team in slugging by 60 points.
Leads the team in HR by 11.
Leads the team in RBI by 10.
Trails Phillips by 4 in Runs.

He is at or near the top of every important statistical category = hard to replace.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='682384' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:51 AM']while he has been hot lately. he still isnt a guy that this team can have if they want to compete.[/quote]

I disagree, I think that this team cant compete with him AND griffey in the middle of the lineup, but I think if they get rid of Junior they can afford to have a guy like Dunn that only bats .240 but has a good OBP and hits a lot of homers and rbis.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='682410' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:34 AM']I would hate to see what this offense would look like without him in there. How many statistical categories does he have to lead the team in for your approval?[/quote]

take his 10-12 mill and u sign a solid OF and use the rest of it to upgrade ANOTHER position and this offense is better. idc what his statistical categories are. he doesnt hit in the clutch and he has more opportunities than ANY player on the team so he SHOULD have higher statistics. i dont give a FLYING FUCK about HRs either. Just RBIs and RISP. His RBIs would be WAY higher if he could hit worth a shit with RISP. so his statistics are flawed because he fails way too much when expected to produce.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='682470' date='Jul 29 2008, 02:22 PM']take his 10-12 mill and u sign a solid OF and use the rest of it to upgrade ANOTHER position and this offense is better. idc what his statistical categories are. he doesnt hit in the clutch and [b]he has more opportunities than ANY player on the team[/b] so he SHOULD have higher statistics. i dont give a FLYING FUCK about HRs either. Just RBIs and RISP. His RBIs would be WAY higher if he could hit worth a shit with RISP. so his statistics are flawed because he fails way too much when expected to produce.[/quote]

Phillips leads the team in plate appearances with runners on and number of runners on base.

Plate appearances with runners on:
Phillips - 221
Griffey - 184
Encarnacion - 175
Dunn / Votto - 163

Total number of runners on base:
Phillips - 307
Dunn / Griffey - 243
Encarnacion - 239
Votto - 227

[url="http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=316723"]http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=316723[/url]

I would still like to see the Reds bring in a right handed bat next season.
They should have plenty of money to bring someone in with both Dunn and Griffey likely being gone next season.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='682451' date='Jul 29 2008, 12:57 PM']I disagree, I think that this team cant compete with him AND griffey in the middle of the lineup, but I think if they get rid of Junior they can afford to have a guy like Dunn that only bats .240 but has a good OBP and hits a lot of homers and rbis.[/quote]

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Ken Griffey is a sucking chest wound in the middle of the lineup.

[quote name='CTA513' post='682530' date='Jul 29 2008, 03:10 PM']Phillips leads the team in plate appearances with runners on and number of runners on base.

Plate appearances with runners on:
Phillips - 221
Griffey - 184
Encarnacion - 175
Dunn / Votto - 163

Total number of runners on base:
Phillips - 307
Dunn / Griffey - 243
Encarnacion - 239
Votto - 227

[url="http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=316723"]http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=316723[/url]

I would still like to see the Reds bring in a right handed bat next season.
They should have plenty of money to bring someone in with both Dunn and Griffey likely being gone next season.[/quote]

i actually knew that. i called into 700 the other night with that stat and just completely ignored/forgot it the other day. my bad.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='682381' date='Jul 29 2008, 11:45 AM']yea 30 more strikeouts than anyone else on the team... sweeeet. 105 and counting..

dunn fucking sucks.

batting 241 is pretty sweet too...[/quote]

You should obviously stick to the football opinions...

trade his ass and good riddance.

who cares about 100 rbi's and 40 homeruns if your not in first place.

Oh woe is me! How on earth are we going to replace that production? Oh Woe!@ Let's hold on tight.

How bout we get to first place...win a pennant, I think thats more important than paying the fatman.

[quote name='The Scales' post='683091' date='Jul 31 2008, 10:39 AM']trade his ass and good riddance.

who cares about 100 rbi's and 40 homeruns if your not in first place.

Oh woe is me! How on earth are we going to replace that production? Oh Woe!@ Let's hold on tight.

How bout we get to first place...win a pennant, I think thats more important than paying the fatman.[/quote]

While Im still not sure where I stand on Dunn, your comment is absolutely retarded. Thats like saying lets trade Carson palmer because we havent won a superbowl.

Just cause we havent won anything since weve had Dunn doesnt mean that hes been preventing us from winning.

Also Dunn is #1 in homers, #9 in RBIS, and #14 in the NL in On base percentage.

Pretty good if you ask me. Ive said it once and Ill say it again, you can afford to have one guy in your lineup that bats for a low average and strike out a lot but hit a lot of homers and gets rbis like Dunn, the problem is if there are 2 of those guys in your lineup like we had with Griffey. Now that Griffey is gone we can afford to have Dunn in our lineup.

Potential 2009 lineup without any upgrades at positions...

1. Hairston CF
2. Kepp SS
3. Bruce RF
4. Phillips 2B
5. Votto 1B
6. Dunn LF
7. EE 3B
8. Catcher

Thats a decent lineup, with the potential to be a very good lineup if Bruce and Votto improve on their rookie years and Hairston and Kepp can stay healthy and hit.

Hopefully we can find an upgrade at catcher and maybe a CF in case hairston is hurt, but either way Dunn is probably the best 6 hitter in the game.

Archived