Maybe this injury will be a blessing in disguise for the Bengals.

1) We had been pounding Rudi nonstop for the better part of 4 years. Even a back like LT will wear out with that much use. Ricky Williams retires partly because the Dolphins used him too much (don't split hairs--I know the overriding reason is that he smoked a lot of pot). I think he needed to give his body a break. Since he's been out for four weeks, his legs should be refreshed, as well as the rest of the body. People have to realize that our bodies have ways of telling us that we need to relax and chill. I feel that the hamstring injury was the warning sign to Rudi to actually take some time and observe the game as opposed to playing it. It often takes a painful injury to force a competitive athlete like Rudi to rest.

2) The emergence of Watson and Dorsey can help to augment our running attack with Rudi as the bell cow. You have to think that we had a decent tandem with Rudi and Chris Perry, but in reality, I considered Chris Perry to be a glorified TE instead of a running back. I saw him catch a hell of a lot more pass than actually run the ball. Plus, everyone knew that if Perry was in the game, it was gonna either be a pass to him or a outside run. Kenny Watson is a lot more versatile than Perry in my opinion. He can catch outlet passes and get outside like Perry, but he has the ability to pound it inside like Rudi can. Plus Watson has that cutback ability that allows a 3-yrd gain to turn into a 9-yrd gain. Not to mention that he is good in pass protection like Rudi, if not better. Defenses don't have quite as good a bead on our plays if Watson subs for Rudi, as suppose to when Perry subbed for Rudi.

3) Kenny abilities should allow us to use Rudi in other ways as well, like the outlet pass to Rudi. Rudi did show that he had better hands than the previous year. Someone in this thread pointed out that Rudi wasn't pleased that Kenny was showing a lot of moxy the past couple of week, even coming within 10 yards of being the second Bengal RB to put 100 yards on the Steelers. If you remember 2003 and 2004, when Rudi was emerging, you could tell that he was running like he had something to prove, firstly that he could play RB in the NFL (2003), and that he was a starting-calibur, Pro Bowl RB (2004). Rudi seems like the kind of guy that runs with an attitude, and last year, I wasn't seeing that attitude from him, and it continued into this season. I was starting to think that he had gotten a little comfortable.

I think that this happens to be the kick in the nuts that he needed. Why else would we have chosen running backs the past two years? Yes, I do believbe that we are looking for more explosion in the running game, and that Rudi needs a complement guy with him, but Chris Perry and Kenny Irons were drafted to compete for the starting job. And for the most part, Rudi has held them off, and given us a formidible running game.

Yeah, he does get a lot of carries, but 4300+ yards and 46 TD is kind of hard to argue against.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='583533' date='Nov 2 2007, 12:15 PM']Maybe this injury will be a blessing in disguise for the Bengals.

1) We had been pounding Rudi nonstop for the better part of 4 years. Even a back like LT will wear out with that much use. Ricky Williams retires partly because the Dolphins used him too much (don't split hairs--I know the overriding reason is that he smoked a lot of pot). I think he needed to give his body a break. Since he's been out for four weeks, his legs should be refreshed, as well as the rest of the body. People have to realize that our bodies have ways of telling us that we need to relax and chill. I feel that the hamstring injury was the warning sign to Rudi to actually take some time and observe the game as opposed to playing it. It often takes a painful injury to force a competitive athlete like Rudi to rest.

2) The emergence of Watson and Dorsey can help to augment our running attack with Rudi as the bell cow. You have to think that we had a decent tandem with Rudi and Chris Perry, but in reality, I considered Chris Perry to be a glorified TE instead of a running back. I saw him catch a hell of a lot more pass than actually run the ball. Plus, everyone knew that if Perry was in the game, it was gonna either be a pass to him or a outside run. Kenny Watson is a lot more versatile than Perry in my opinion. He can catch outlet passes and get outside like Perry, but he has the ability to pound it inside like Rudi can. Plus Watson has that cutback ability that allows a 3-yrd gain to turn into a 9-yrd gain. Not to mention that he is good in pass protection like Rudi, if not better. Defenses don't have quite as good a bead on our plays if Watson subs for Rudi, as suppose to when Perry subbed for Rudi.

3) Kenny abilities should allow us to use Rudi in other ways as well, like the outlet pass to Rudi. Rudi did show that he had better hands than the previous year. Someone in this thread pointed out that Rudi wasn't pleased that Kenny was showing a lot of moxy the past couple of week, even coming within 10 yards of being the second Bengal RB to put 100 yards on the Steelers. If you remember 2003 and 2004, when Rudi was emerging, you could tell that he was running like he had something to prove, firstly that he could play RB in the NFL (2003), and that he was a starting-calibur, Pro Bowl RB (2004). Rudi seems like the kind of guy that runs with an attitude, and last year, I wasn't seeing that attitude from him, and it continued into this season. I was starting to think that he had gotten a little comfortable.

I think that this happens to be the kick in the nuts that he needed. Why else would we have chosen running backs the past two years? Yes, I do believbe that we are looking for more explosion in the running game, and that Rudi needs a complement guy with him, but Chris Perry and Kenny Irons were drafted to compete for the starting job. And for the most part, Rudi has held them off, and given us a formidible running game.

[b]Yeah, he does get a lot of carries, but 4300+ yards and 46 TD is kind of hard to argue against.[/b][/quote]

word.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='583533' date='Nov 2 2007, 12:15 PM']Maybe this injury will be a blessing in disguise for the Bengals.

Yeah, he does get a lot of carries, but 4300+ yards and 46 TD is kind of hard to argue against.[/quote]

The only problem with your arguement is he had 8 months off in the offseason...so what will four weeks do that 8 months could not do.

Like I said before...I hope regains form....I love Rudi as our bell cow running back. I also know if he can't regain form that we don't hold on to him past this year hoping he will do better.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='583612' date='Nov 2 2007, 01:13 PM']The only problem with your arguement is he had 8 months off in the offseason...so what will four weeks do that 8 months could not do.

Like I said before...I hope regains form....I love Rudi as our bell cow running back. I also know if he can't regain form that we don't hold on to him past this year hoping he will do better.[/quote]

he WAS rehabbing his back in the offseason..

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='583253' date='Nov 2 2007, 01:07 AM']I REALLY hope Rudi returns for form. 2005 form. It would be a great lift for the team[/quote]

He would have to eat a whole lot... I don't think the kind of eight gain needed to fulfill your request is possible during the season. Would be dangerous even if it was possible.

No, we are stuck with South Beach Rudi this season. The only thing we can hope for is that watching Kenny and DeDe hit the holes as hard as they did rubbed off on him or something.

"hmmm... maybe I'm not Barry Sanders after all." -Rudi ponders life while watching the game from the sidelines

We need Rudi if for nothing else than to be a part of a three-headed rotation.
I was surprised that we didn't see more of Dorsey last week after the way he played two weeks ago, albeit sparingly.
last week he had what, a catch for 8 yards and that was it?
"Hey we need to get Dorsey in the mix...good play Dorsey, now ride the pine the rest of the game!"
And Watson needs to cure his fumbleitis. That last fumble in the Steelers game was especially costly.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='583858' date='Nov 2 2007, 05:36 PM']when else has watson fumbled?[/quote]

I'm not sure, but when he came herr from Washington, that and his durability were listed as concerns on most write-ups I read.

[quote name='Lucid' post='583872' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:01 PM']I'm not sure, but when he came herr from Washington, that and his durability were listed as concerns on most write-ups I read.[/quote]
Kenny Watson carried the ball 116 times for Washington in 2002 and never fumbled.
He never had a case of fumbleitis aside from the Pitt game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='583858' date='Nov 2 2007, 03:36 PM']when else has watson fumbled?[/quote]
I don't know, but to fumble twice in a game as big as that Steelers game was is pretty unacceptable.
I hope the RB coach gorilla-glued a ball to Watson's hand for several days as punishment.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='583886' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:15 PM']I don't know, but to fumble twice in a game as big as that Steelers game was is pretty unacceptable.
I hope the RB coach gorilla-glued a ball to Watson's hand for several days as punishment.[/quote]

did I miss his first fumble against pissburgh??

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='583895' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:37 PM']Did someone just compare Rudi to LT?

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//14.gif[/img] :fing27:

Fuck you Own.

I was just trying to make a point. I realized that the comparison wasn't a good one, but damn, must you be an asshole at every opportunity??

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='583969' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:15 PM']:1flip:

Fuck you Own.

I was just trying to make a point. I realized that the comparison wasn't a good one, but damn, must you be an asshole at every opportunity??[/quote]

uh, yes he must....why let it bother you....its the nature of the beast.. B)

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='583970' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:17 PM']uh, yes he must....why let it bother you....its the nature of the beast.. B)[/quote]

:P :lol:

Your right, I just need to laugh it off. There isn't anythin that PinkOwn can do behind his mighty screen and keyboard.....'.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] :lol:

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='583883' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:13 PM']Kenny Watson carried the ball 116 times for Washington in 2002 and never fumbled.
He never had a case of fumbleitis aside from the Pitt game.[/quote]

I had never looked it up, and like I said, it's something I read.. Wouldn't be the first time a sports "journalist" made something up... Maybe it was something Washington was concerned about when he came out of college... I never watched him play before he came here.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='583969' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:15 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//14.gif[/img] :fing27:

Fuck you Own.

I was just trying to make a point. I realized that the comparison wasn't a good one, but damn, [b]must you be an asshole at every opportunity??[/b][/quote]

thats a rhetorical question.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='583931' date='Nov 2 2007, 07:19 PM']It was in the first half. I think he :unsure: recovered it.[/quote]

Yes, Bengals driving 3rd and 1 near or past midfield. Watson picks up 1.5-2 yds but fumbles the ball backwards./ Recover occurs behind the first down marker.......... Drive stalled.

Watson himself took blame for the Pitt loss due to his two drive stopping fumbles. He did so in his post game comments.

Archived