This was taken from Lances' blog, so I'm not sure if this has been posted or not:

[quote]NFL injuries in perspective
Injuries have no doubt been a big story for the Bengals this season. But fans tend to overlook/disregard that fact that injuries happen all around the NFL...not just in Cincinnati. For the 2nd straight year Pro Football Weekly has done an assessment of each team's injuries for the season...and ranked the teams from most injured to least injured. Again the Bengals rank in the middle of the pack. Last year it was 16th of 32 teams...this year 14th.
1. Rams
4. Colts
7. Ravens
14. Bengals
29. Steelers
32. Browns[/quote]

I'd like to see the injuries by position before I comment on that

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='610698' date='Dec 17 2007, 12:51 PM']This was taken from Lances' blog, so I'm not sure if this has been posted or not:

I'd like to see the injuries by position before I comment on that[/quote]

Add Odells and Henrys suspensions in there and it looks a lot worse, obviously those arent injuries, but still.

There is no way you can say if Pollack, Odell, and Brooks all played this season our D would be nearly as bad.

Also if Perry/Irons and Henry would have played all year it would have helped our offense greatly. If you guys think DeDe plays well when he gets his chance, well Perry is the same kind of player but loads better when healthy.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='610698' date='Dec 17 2007, 12:51 PM']This was taken from Lances' blog, so I'm not sure if this has been posted or not:

14th is a bit low on that list as far as im concerned, I get that Marvin Harrison is a big part of that team, but they didnt lose Freeney until late in the year. the Colts are far too high on that list.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='610698' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:51 AM']This was taken from Lances' blog, so I'm not sure if this has been posted or not:

I agree - I looked on Pro Football Weekly.com, and didn't see the article (might only be in the print edition). If they measure it by games lost to starters, it's a skewed view. Sometimes, they don't include a starter lost for the season before the season starts... just guys who started the season who are subsequently hurt. Even then, devastating losses at one position can cripple a team... look at the Rams in the OL, Bengals at LB, etc.

its pretty inaccurate as well. by the looks of it its guys who were IR, or PUp'd, not necessarily all injuries. or guys that missed games arleady and are back too late for much anyway, which is a pretty pointless list.

Rick Gosslin (sp?) of the Dallas Morning News is one of the best football writers out there (his mock drafts are more accurate than any other source). He did a ranking of starters lost to injury last year and the Bengals were something like #6 in the league. However that didn't include games lost to suspension (Thurman and Henry) or the fact that we lost our starting KR (Perry) and PR (Chatman) for most of the year. If you include suspensions the Bengals lost more starters for more games than any other team last year. We haven't been hit that hard this year, but Willie was playing at about 75% when he was in there, and Joseph looked to be slowed by his foot injury early in the season.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='610790' date='Dec 17 2007, 03:07 PM']Rick Gosslin (sp?) of the Dallas Morning News is one of the best football writers out there (his mock drafts are more accurate than any other source). He did a ranking of starters lost to injury last year and the Bengals were something like #6 in the league. However that didn't include games lost to suspension (Thurman and Henry) or the fact that we lost our starting KR (Perry) and PR (Chatman) for most of the year. If you include suspensions the Bengals lost more starters for more games than any other team last year. We haven't been hit that hard this year, but Willie was playing at about 75% when he was in there, and Joseph looked to be slowed by his foot injury early in the season.[/quote]

80% of the o-line has missed time.

all of our top 3 RB's have missed time,

cahd did, tj did, and all but peko, smith, and geathers missed time on defense, maybe leon hall too..

we are far more hit this year than last.

I looked for the article when I say that posted
On Lance`s blog too. I found nothing.

I don`t know all the particulars of the list,
but just from looking at it, it tells me that
2 of the 3 teams ahead of us on that list
also had "disappointing" years. The Rams
were supposed to contend for their division
this season, and the Ravens were picked
to win the division Both also have worse records than us.
The 2 other teams in our division that are listed there, obviously
have been 2 of the "healthiest" teams in the NFL this season,
and both are in good shape to make the playoffs. But injuries don`t matter.
Whatever.

Oh and obviously the Colts have a worse training staff,
and medical staff than us. They should fire them all . . .

:ninja:

[quote name='oldschooler' post='610830' date='Dec 17 2007, 04:19 PM']I looked for the article when I say that posted
On Lance`s blog too. I found nothing.

I don`t know all the particulars of the list,
but just from looking at it, it tells me that
2 of the 3 teams ahead of us on that list
also had "disappointing" years. The Rams
were supposed to contend for their division
this season, and the Ravens were picked
to win the division Both also have worse records than us.
The 2 other teams in our division that are listed there, obviously
have been 2 of the "healthiest" teams in the NFL this season,
and both are in good shape to make the playoffs. But injuries don`t matter.
Whatever.

Oh and obviously the Colts have a worse training staff,
and medical staff than us. They should fire them all . . .

:ninja:[/quote]

Rams lost their QB for a good part of the year. Same with the Ravens. We have our QB healthy, and he blows them out of the water.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='610875' date='Dec 17 2007, 05:54 PM']Rams lost their QB for a good part of the year. Same with the Ravens. We have our QB healthy, and he blows them out of the water.[/quote]

Our QB blows them out of the water even when they are healthy.

Anyway, what was your point ? Were you trying to say the
Rams and Ravens sucked because their QBs went down ?
Bulger has started 10 of their 14 games this year.
Which means he started a good part of the year.
And they started 0-4 with him. McNair just sucks.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='610875' date='Dec 17 2007, 06:54 PM']Rams lost their QB for a good part of the year. Same with the Ravens. We have our QB healthy, and he blows them out of the water.[/quote]
well losing bulger hurt, but they obviously arent that good anyways. the ravens losing mcnair is an upgrade. boller is better at this point by far. its not even close.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='610791' date='Dec 17 2007, 03:09 PM']80% of the o-line has missed time.

all of our top 3 RB's have missed time,

cahd did, tj did, and all but peko, smith, and geathers missed time on defense, maybe leon hall too..

we are far more hit this year than last.[/quote]

I agree Go, we were a league leader in injuries last season but last season does not compare to the number we had this season.

I would need to know a breakdown of the number of injuries, number of injuries to certain positions and jsut whom are the injuries to put any validity in that report.

I'm guessing that list deals only with lost time by projected opening day starters. If that is the case it would not include all the lost starts by Levi. It may not include Willie as he missed all of camp. It would not include Irons/Perry. It would include Brooks but would not include Marshall, Miller, Jeanty. It would not include the loses of Henry/Thurman. It would not include Blue Adams/T Perry/Chatman & Holt who was injured in camp.

Guycheck/Willie/Andrews all missed time and Whitworth/Andrews/Kooster all have played mulitple positions sometime in teh same game.

I don't think anyone in their right minds can downplay the impact that injuries had on the Bengals this season. And last season.

The real question has always been, WHY do the injuries happen to the Bengals at such a high frequency?

I'm sorry but I don't buy the "dumb luck" theory. These injuries positively REEK of design flaws, but without inside information, we'll never know exactly what.

Do we have it worse than other teams? Depends on what list you look at, but I think so. The root causes are the real issue though. Whatever they are...

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='610902' date='Dec 17 2007, 07:53 PM']I don't think anyone in their right minds can downplay the impact that injuries had on the Bengals this season. And last season.

The real question has always been, WHY do the injuries happen to the Bengals at such a high frequency?

I'm sorry but I don't buy the "dumb luck" theory. These injuries positively REEK of design flaws, but without inside information, we'll never know exactly what.

Do we have it worse than other teams? Depends on what list you look at, but I think so. The root causes are the real issue though. Whatever they are...[/quote]

agreed, though I think we are now to the point where Carson's play has had just as much of an effect on the season as the injuries have. You can point to 3 games where Carson's play cost us the game. Granted, the o-line protection plays a part in that, but it has not been bad enough for Carson not to be able to perform well. His head isn't right.

Lay the SF, AZ, and pissburgh #2 games on Carson.

The KC game I think is winnable if the LB corp has more than 1 LB who was here at the start of the season.

Browns and Bills games where simply bad defense all around. Same with the Seattle game, with an assist to special teams.

I still say the worst coaching move of the year was moving Geathers to LB. I know it was in part out of necessity, but shouldn't have gone on more than 1-2 games. There had to have been a better solution than taking your best pass rusher off the line.

Archived