Toeaina

OneHeartBeat

[quote name='hooday' post='611101' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:31 PM']He contradicted himself a little but i think he summed up the argument against letting toeaina go: it sucked to see him leave, maybe he will come back but the bengals have bigger issues[/quote]

a little bit? He starts by saying Toeiana is an example of everything wrong with the organization, and then finishes by saying the loss of Toeiana isn't a big deal. Its a classic example of someone just wanting to bitch for the sake of bitching.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611102' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:34 PM']a little bit? He starts by saying Toeiana is an example of everything wrong with the organization, and then finishes by saying the loss of Toeiana isn't a big deal. Its a classic example of someone just wanting to bitch for the sake of bitching.[/quote]Here is what he wrote "All of a sudden, Toeaina represents everything that is wrong with the 2007 Bengals; heck, even the entire organization." It seemed to me that he was being facetious with that line, in other words, fans have more to worry about than letting toeaina go. Maybe he wasnt, in that case, yeah it doesnt make sense.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611094' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:07 AM']did curnutte's blog post not make sense to anyone else? He seemed to contradict himself every other sentence. At least he admits he's not a Bengals fan.[/quote]

I don't get the sense that Curnutte was saying he wasn't a Bengals fan... more just using the subjunctive case to illustrate his point, i.e. "If I were a...." He's right in saying that Toe isn't the problem - there are other places to look for that.

Re: drafting Perry vs. Jackson - yes, they missed on that, but who was to know that Perry would be so injury-riddled? Were he not, he'd be a lot more impactful, IMO. Plus, he conveniently didn't mention getting a starting-caliber OL in Andrews to boot. I do agree on Frostee Rucker - what's up with that? I figured for sure that he'd get some PT, since the likelihood of Justin re-signing is pretty slim, and the pass rush has been really awful.

I sent a note to Hobs to ask him re: Frostee, as well as what he sees for the safety position in 2008 (Dex getting cut, hopefully, and what will happen w/Madieu), as well as any anticipated coaching changes. We'll see if he answers any of them... like he would know, anyway!

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='611118' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:28 PM']And just what is the deal with Rucker????[/quote]He was on Lance's show (i think) and was saying that he needs to get on special teams first and then he will see playing time... i was thinking ok, go and play on special teams then... but he was all matter of fact about it like it was out of his hands

[quote name='hooday' post='611120' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:40 PM']He was on Lance's show (i think) and was saying that he needs to get on special teams first and then he will see playing time... i was thinking ok, go and play on special teams then... but he was all matter of fact about it like it was out of his hands[/quote]

so is that a prereqisite before you can play in the defensive rotation?
Why Rucker and not Fanene or Justin ????

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='610981' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:03 AM']looked like he was all over the place from what I saw of the game, busting through the line, slammed Peterson down for a loss a couple times. Can't believe we let him get away.[/quote]

Yeah,I saw it . He looked like the Ravens,Kelly Gregg.

[quote name='texbengal' post='611085' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:45 AM']Look at Langston Moore... similar situation as a 6th pick, except he played a bit as a rookie, as I recall. He floated around the league for a few years, and I believe he's gone now. Toe may be the same way.[/quote]

Moore is with the Lions.

[quote name='Cat' post='611143' date='Dec 18 2007, 03:02 PM']I thought he was the one who was going into boxing...[/quote]

That was world famous stiff Jevon Langford. Another member of the pantheon of Bengals DL greats at the time such as Andre Purvis, Canute Curtis, John Copeland etc. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/31.gif[/img]

Yeah I thought Toeina looked alright. However, for a pro-bowler and arguably considered the best Center in the league, Birk had a stinker last night. His struggles at the end, and there was the Urlacher sack where he didn't see Urlacher at all (even though he was lined up in front of him pre-snap) and instead swung left, letting Urlacher in for the pancake

Bengals news
The Bengals today made the following practice squad moves:
Signed DT Titus Adams (6-4, 305), a first-year NFL player from Nebraska. Adams entered the NFL in 2006 as a seventh-round draft choice of the New York Jets. He opened the season on the Jets practice squad and was signed to the New York Giants’ 53-player roster on 12-6-06. He was inactive with the Giants for the final five games of the regular season, and for the Giants’ playoff game at Philadelphia. He opened the 2007 preseason with the Giants and was obtained by San Diego on waivers on Aug. 20. He was waived by San Diego on Sept. 1.
Released rookie S Jesse Daniels of LSU from the practice squad. Daniels had been signed to the practice squad on Dec. 5.

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611090' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:01 PM']I did get the vibe from Marvin that he would like to bring Toe back at some point and that he was glad Toe was getting valuable experience.[/quote]

Agreed. Did anyone watch the presser yesterday with Marvin?

[quote name='texbengal' post='611112' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:59 PM']I don't get the sense that Curnutte was saying he wasn't a Bengals fan... more just using the subjunctive case to illustrate his point, i.e. "If I were a...." He's right in saying that Toe isn't the problem - there are other places to look for that.

Re: drafting Perry vs. Jackson - yes, they missed on that, but who was to know that Perry would be so injury-riddled? Were he not, he'd be a lot more impactful, IMO. Plus, he conveniently didn't mention getting a starting-caliber OL in Andrews to boot. I do agree on Frostee Rucker - what's up with that? I figured for sure that he'd get some PT, since the likelihood of Justin re-signing is pretty slim, and the pass rush has been really awful.

I sent a note to Hobs to ask him re: Frostee, as well as what he sees for the safety position in 2008 (Dex getting cut, hopefully, and what will happen w/Madieu), as well as any anticipated coaching changes. We'll see if he answers any of them... like he would know, anyway![/quote]

Agreed again. I will not challenge everyone's reading comprehension, however I do have a different take than some. He was making a sarcastic point, IMHO. Basically, the fact that a 6th round draft pick who was not picked up by another team off a practice squad, which team was injury riddled until the 14th week of the season now 'signifies all that is wrong with this franchise'. I took it as tongue firmly planted in cheek. But just me.

And don't be surprised if he is back on the Bengals next year. No guarantee, but it would not surprise me either.

Text from transcripts on Toe from Marvin Presser:

[quote]Q: How tough was it to see Matt Toeaina walk away?
ML: It's part of the system. I'm happy for Matt. I've been around these young guys who've been on the practice squad. This is a good opportunity for him to get a vested season. That's what I told him, and he actually decided to stay an extra day. When it came down to it, the opportunity to get the vested year was the smart thing for him to do. It was something he wrestled with for two days[/quote]

And when you listen to the presser vs. the transcript you got a totally different vibe. But hey, maybe it is just me.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='611213' date='Dec 18 2007, 05:29 PM']And don't be surprised if he is back on the Bengals next year. No guarantee, but it would not surprise me either.[/quote]

agreed, its going to be very difficult for him to make the Bears roster once they get healthy, especially since he's bulked up past the point of being able to play end as well. Dusty Dvoracek and Tommie Harris are shoe ins, Kennedy likely does as well. That leaves Toe vying with FIVE other guys for one spot, all of which have been on the team longer than him.

[quote]agreed, its going to be very difficult for him to make the Bears roster once they get healthy, especially since he's bulked up past the point of being able to play end as well. Dusty Dvoracek and Tommie Harris are shoe ins, Kennedy likely does as well. That leaves Toe vying with FIVE other guys for one spot, all of which have been on the team longer than him[/quote]

Kennedy looked bad last night plus has had the chance to prove himself before, and failed. We won't be getting Toe back.

[quote name='hooday' post='611101' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:31 PM']He contradicted himself a little but i think he summed up the argument against letting toeaina go: it sucked to see him leave, maybe he will come back but the bengals have bigger issues[/quote]

Yep, the Bengals have bigger issues then addressing the HORRIBLE DL for how many years now. :rolleyes:

but hey, we have JUGHead No Pro Bowler Again Smith and Big Daddy No Pro Bowler Again Thornton to the rescue! Yea, why address the smaller issue!

[quote name='TigerJ@w' post='611244' date='Dec 18 2007, 05:24 PM']according to Whom? The Genius D Guru ML or the HC that has went to a SB in Lovie Smith?[/quote]

Why didn`t you just say the "underachieving" Lovie Smith ?
They`re out of the playoffs too, and have the same record
as us.

Anyway, I`m sure you know the reason why they picked
up Toeiana is because they were decimated at the position he plays.
And needed bodies that weren`t street free agents.

[quote name='TigerJ@w' post='611247' date='Dec 18 2007, 05:30 PM']Yep, the Bengals have bigger issues then addressing the HORRIBLE DL for how many years now. :rolleyes:

but hey, we have JUGHead No Pro Bowler Again Smith and Big Daddy No Pro Bowler Again Thornton to the rescue! Yea, why address the smaller issue![/quote]

You act like Toeiana was a fucking Rookie of the Year
candidate or something . . .

Archived