Toeaina

OneHeartBeat

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='610981' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:03 AM']looked like he was all over the place from what I saw of the game, busting through the line, slammed Peterson down for a loss a couple times. Can't believe we let him get away.[/quote]

He had only had two tackles for you statistic only guys, but he was around the ball as oneheartbeat said. He did look like he penetrated the line well so i have to agree cant believe we let him get away.

[quote name='Bengalnutt' post='610994' date='Dec 18 2007, 05:07 AM']:o ... Only time will tell for this guy. But If I was the man in charge I would have at LEAST given him a chance to see what he could do for me in a real game or TWO. Considering how many holes there will be to fill after this season.[/quote]

Just goes to show how well our coaches evaluate talent. The guy should have been playing and was on the PS all year. It's not like he only has 4 years of eligibility and needed a red shirt.

I expected to wake up to one of these threads. From what I saw, he was in on about 11 plays. He looks good going to his right, where he had 2 tackles. He also got blown off the ball 4 or 5 times too. He doesn't look so good going up the middle or to his left though.

He does look like he's put on some wait. He was more like 315 than 301.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611003' date='Dec 18 2007, 08:06 AM']I expected to wake up to one of these threads. From what I saw, he was in on about 11 plays. He looks good going to his right, where he had 2 tackles. He also got blown off the ball 4 or 5 times too. He doesn't look so good going up the middle or to his left though.

He does look like he's put on some wait. He was more like 315 than 301.[/quote]
His calf muscles weigh at least 100 lbs a piece

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='611036' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:07 AM']Let me pose this question to all of you that think the Bengals dropped the ball with Toeiana..

Why do you suppose they let him walk....please give an intelligent answer and not just "cuz theyre stupid"[/quote]

...because he wasn't ready.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='611052' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:36 AM'][b]i wonder how the scout that talked the team into drafting him feels right about now -_-[/b][/quote]
We have scouts??? I thought they read about him on one of the draft websites and picked him.. B)

Does NOBODY what's goin on here?
Do you think he wouldve been blowin people up if he was on the bengals dee?
Nope, its the [b]scheme[/b] and playcalling...think about it, what defensive scheme would you rather run chuck b's or chicago's?
He wouldve been lookin like just another scrub...you mean to tell me we have NO playmakers talent wise on this dee?
Just think about if a few of our players defected and went to chicago in THAT scheme...I guarentee you they'd look like playmkers then!

[quote name='bengalmonsta' post='611061' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:15 AM']Does NOBODY what's goin on here?
Do you think he wouldve been blowin people up if he was on the bengals dee?
Nope, its the [b]scheme[/b] and playcalling...think about it, what defensive scheme would you rather run chuck b's or chicago's?
He wouldve been lookin like just another scrub...you mean to tell me we have NO playmakers talent wise on this dee?
Just think about if a few of our players defected and went to chicago in THAT scheme...I guarentee you they'd look like playmkers then![/quote]

so what are you saying ? fire the Defensive coach and our players will look better ?

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='611063' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:23 AM']so what are you saying ? fire the Defensive coach and our players will look better ?[/quote]

he's saying change the scheme and it will help. Doesn't even need to be a new coordinator. I'd agree with that to an extent, I don't think we scheme well enough to match our personnel. Particularly when all the LB's were down. Instead of getting creative, we tried to move Geathers and run the same scheme. Didn't work so well.

And back to the other point, Toeiana is surrounded by pro bowl caliber players. Its much easier to look good surrounded by great talent.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611065' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:27 AM']And back to the other point, Toeiana is surrounded by pro bowl caliber players. Its much easier to look good surrounded by great talent.[/quote]

That is correct, yet the Bears defense is WORSE than the Bengals this year. The Bears obviously have talent, so why are their amazing schemes getting them ranked lower than the Bengals indefense?

[quote name='fredtoast' post='611069' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:43 AM']That is correct, yet the Bears defense is WORSE than the Bengals this year. The Bears obviously have talent, so why are their amazing schemes getting them ranked lower than the Bengals indefense?[/quote]

I'm betting firing Ron Rivera is having something to do with it. Maybe their scheme has changed.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='611069' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:43 AM']That is correct, yet the Bears defense is WORSE than the Bengals this year. The Bears obviously have talent, so why are their amazing schemes getting them ranked lower than the Bengals indefense?[/quote]

The Bears have NO tackles that is why they suck right now...Hence the need for the TOE..No tackles will always make a defense suck as we all here should know...All Im sayin is look at us actually since chuck took over ...our schemes fool NO ONE...remember what wines hard said after our last game last year?
You know no one is fooled by what you area doing when an offense ranked thirty something in the league and starting someone who's never started in the nfl knows EXACTLY where to go with the ball almost EVERY time.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611070' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:49 AM']I'm betting firing Ron Rivera is having something to do with it. Maybe their scheme has changed.[/quote]

I think that's a pretty big reason. Losing some key guys hurts, too - like Mike Brown, who's a big-play safety. Tommie Harris has been hurt some... and Tank Johnson was solid in the middle, too.

Re: Toe and the Bengals, I'm guessing that he wasn't far enough along, and they didn't think bringing him up to the 53-man roster was warranted, for whatever reason. ML looked at it as a chance for Toe to get in a years' service in Chicago - an opportunity he wouldn't have gotten in Cincinnati. For a guy who probably won't be a long-term player in the league (given statistics for most players, re: longevity in the league), getting in 1 year is a big deal. While I was disappointed to see Toe go, I think Marvin's advice was good, and it speaks to the kind of person he is. Given all that's happened on the Bears' D front of late, I, too wouldn't be surprised to see Toe come available again. Look at Langston Moore... similar situation as a 6th pick, except he played a bit as a rookie, as I recall. He floated around the league for a few years, and I believe he's gone now. Toe may be the same way.

[quote name='texbengal' post='611085' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:45 AM']I think that's a pretty big reason. Losing some key guys hurts, too - like Mike Brown, who's a big-play safety. Tommie Harris has been hurt some... and Tank Johnson was solid in the middle, too.

Re: Toe and the Bengals, I'm guessing that he wasn't far enough along, and they didn't think bringing him up to the 53-man roster was warranted, for whatever reason. ML looked at it as a chance for Toe to get in a years' service in Chicago - an opportunity he wouldn't have gotten in Cincinnati. For a guy who probably won't be a long-term player in the league (given statistics for most players, re: longevity in the league), getting in 1 year is a big deal. While I was disappointed to see Toe go, I think Marvin's advice was good, and it speaks to the kind of person he is. Given all that's happened on the Bears' D front of late, I, too wouldn't be surprised to see Toe come available again. Look at Langston Moore... similar situation as a 6th pick, except he played a bit as a rookie, as I recall. He floated around the league for a few years, and I believe he's gone now. Toe may be the same way.[/quote]

I did get the vibe from Marvin that he would like to bring Toe back at some point and that he was glad Toe was getting valuable experience.

[quote][size=5][b]The Toeaina factor [/b][/size]

Chicago rookie defensive tackle Matt Toeaina was credited with two solo tackles in the Bears' loss Monday night at Minnesota.

Toeaina was the Bengals' sixth-round draft pick and spent the entire season on the practice squad in Cincinnati. He was signed to the Bears' active roster last week.

Toeaina existed in anonymity in Cincinnati but became a cause last week after he was signed by the Bears.

All of a sudden, Toeaina represents everything that is wrong with the 2007 Bengals; heck, even the entire organization.

If he were so good, why wasn't he on the active roster here? Don't you think coaches, some of whom on the defensive side of the ball for the Bengals probably are worrying about whether they will get another contract here, would have played Toeaina if he had shown anything during the season? Is there a guarantee that when the Bears injury-ravaged defensive line gets healthy in the offseason that Toeaina will even survive training camp?

-- If I were a Bengals fan, I would be more upset about the likes of Frostee Rucker, the third round pick in 2006. Why has this second-year defensive end been active only four times this season?

-- Where's the righteous indignation about letting Eric Steinbach leave in free agency and failing to re-sign him before March 2007? He's probably going to the Pro Bowl and the playoffs. The Bengals classified Steinbach as a guard, and they went ahead of re-signed tackles Willie Anderson and Levi Jones. Anderson had not had injury problems until this season, when knee and heel problems issues have forced him to miss nine games. And Jones, after a slow start, has played better. But Jones has a history of knee problems. You could see in training camp 2006 that Steinbach was going to be the odd-man out. The Bengals place a premium on tackles over guards, even a rare talent such as Steinbach, and on cornerbacks over safeties.

-- And, again, with the benefit of history, what about drafting Chris Perry instead of Steven Jackson?

It's the first-day drafts, not the second-day picks, as well as some questionable decisions in free agency, that are a bigger reasons that the Bengals are 5-9 right now. Not Matt Toeaina.

posted by Mark at 10:09 AM[/quote]

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='611094' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:07 PM']did curnutte's blog post not make sense to anyone else? He seemed to contradict himself every other sentence. At least he admits he's not a Bengals fan.[/quote]He contradicted himself a little but i think he summed up the argument against letting toeaina go: it sucked to see him leave, maybe he will come back but the bengals have bigger issues

Archived