Whoever the next DC is, he should look at Al Wilson

[quote name='Patmo' post='621186' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:07 PM']It's always interesting to see how we judge a F/A by his past achievements and reputation.Truth be told,these guys have a short shelf life.In general,by the time they reach 30,they are pretty beaten up
with declining skills.Picking a 30 year old F/A who still has gas in the tank is tougher that picking a college draft pick .It's not what they've done but what they will do in the future.[/quote]
I'd agree with you for the most part, but i have to play devil's advocate.

Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Roosevelt Colvin, and Adalius Thomas.

32, 34, 30, 30 ages of NE's starting LB's. Ought to tell us something.

We were screaming for Adalius Thomas last year and he and Wilson are the same age... And, Wilson has much more track record than Thomas did. Granted, if he physically can't do it then so be it. But, does it hurt to bring him in and look at him in TC? We're not on the hook for any salary unless he's on the roster the 1st game of the season.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='621158' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:13 PM']and what are you basing your opinion on? Fact is, we've seen more from him that says he CAN play the position well than that says he can't.

Is it much? No, but you're assumption that he can't play the position has absolutely nothing to back it up other than your opinion.[/quote]

Do you actually bother to read posts, or do you just skim them on purpose so that you can go off on tangents that don't make sense?

I never said that Brooks CAN'T play anything, I've ONLY said that he is a totally unproven commodity... whereas Al Wilson is a PROVEN commodity. For your information, I've been watching Brooks play and hearing about his play for many years... that's what happens when you live in Virginia and a kid plays for Virginia, and your sister in law teaches at Virginia.

What have you seen that says he CAN play the position?

His one game against the sorry ass rats offense and three snaps against Cleveland?

Wow... obviously you aren't an NFL scout.

I take that back, you could DEFINITELY be one of the Bengals scouts.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='621179' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:55 PM']ha

1.6 points a game difference doesnt change our record at all... teh yardage there is kinda pointless with the points differential being so low.. even stacking all the points into a few games, we finish 8-8 or 9-7 at best. and thats no playoff record..

so it is pretty telling, wilson is nobody, and if he were worth a damn, someone else would care.

al wilson = ed hartwell[/quote]

Nice try Go, but you really blew it there... those 1.6 points would've meant a WIN at Tampa, Denver, and a tie with Atlanta.

[b]Those 1.6 points a game would've meant we would've been in the playoffs.[/b]

So it is pretty telling... it tells of a MLB who is a leader and a performer. I'll also ask you the same thing I asked clapton.. Who says someone DOESN'T care?

Gotta link for that?

As far as "al wilson = ed hartwell"... that's just sour grapes and homerism wanting Brooks to be better when the reality is the opposite.

[quote name='natifanatic' post='621197' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:34 PM']Didn't this same shit happen with LaVarr Arrington a couple years back?

Cincinnati does not sign big name free agents, signing Wilson ain't gonna happen.[/quote]

Not from me it didn't, I can't/never could stand Arrington... and as far as at least a couple of posters here thinks, Wilson ISN'T a big name free agent.

Never say never either... although you're 99.9999999999% right, lightning MIGHT strike one of these years and we sign that big name that we need.

[quote name='Patmo' post='621186' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:07 PM']It's always interesting to see how we judge a F/A by his past achievements and reputation.Truth be told,these guys have a short shelf life.In general,by the time they reach 30,they are pretty beaten up
with declining skills.Picking a 30 year old F/A who still has gas in the tank is tougher that picking a college draft pick .It's not what they've done but what they will do in the future.[/quote]

Overall you're right, but what is one of the main things we've been missing on our D since Marvin took over?

Our defensive QB who KNEW the position and could play at a high level. With the exception of Spikes... we haven't had a real MLB since Reggie Williams.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621195' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:29 PM']What have you seen that says he CAN play the position?

His one game against the sorry ass rats offense and three snaps against Cleveland?[/quote]

Hey, genius, he played for us in '06, remember? In his first two starts he had 16 tackles (13 solo!), 2 passes defended, and a sack while we only gave up a total of 28 points. He was very raw and undisciplined, but it was easy to see that he had the tools to be a fine MLB.

Then he had 6 tckls, 1FF, and 1 sack in his only game of '07.

Now what have you seen to make you think that Al Wilson can still play? I'll tell you.....NOTHING.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='621203' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:44 PM']Hey, genius, he played for us in '06, remember? In his first two starts he had 16 tackles (13 solo!), 2 passes defended, and a sack while we only gave up a total of 28 points. He was very raw and undisciplined, but it was easy to see that he had the tools to be a fine MLB.

Now what have you seen to make you think that Al Wilson can still play? I'll tell you.....NOTHING.[/quote]

Hey genius, I know he played for us... and he was BENCHED. He likes to freestyle and go outside the scheme.
Like I said about Brooks from the start... POTENTIAL, not proof.

He has the athletic ability, but HASN'T proven that he has the BRAIN to be a successful MLB.
For all I know, he just MIGHT be the next Butkus... but he hasn't proven JACK SHIT.

What have I seen to make me think Wilson can still play?

The fact he doesn't have lobotomy scars is a start. He hurt his neck, he didn't have a concussion that made him forget who he was and what he knew. He's been cleared to play, by a doctor who has been reluctant to clear players in the past... which means that he is physically ready by NFL standards...

So there you have it Captain Obvious.

[size=4]Quoted for the biggest damned truth told ever about Free Agency[/size]

[quote name='fredtoast' post='621203' date='Jan 10 2008, 06:14 PM']Hey, genius, he played for us in '06, remember? In his first two starts he had 16 tackles (13 solo!), 2 passes defended, and a sack while we only gave up a total of 28 points. He was very raw and undisciplined, but it was easy to see that he had the tools to be a fine MLB.

Now what have you seen to make you think that Al Wilson can still play? I'll tell you.....NOTHING.[/quote]

Uh oh, Fred's starting to throw out insults.

I dont know why we try to change each others' minds on this board......clearly each of us knows it all and nothing's gonna change that dammit!

[quote name='IKOTA' post='621210' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:01 PM']Uh oh, Fred's starting to throw out insults.

[b]I dont know why we try to change each others' minds on this board......clearly each of us knows it all and nothing's gonna change that dammit![/b][/quote]
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I had to grin when I read that. We all are pretty much the same way. Stubborn ass mules that just voice an opinion to see how many others agree with our point of view!

[quote name='IKOTA' post='621210' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:01 PM']Uh oh, Fred's starting to throw out insults.

I dont know why we try to change each others' minds on this board......clearly each of us knows it all and nothing's gonna change that dammit![/quote]

I have changed my mind on several issues raised on this board. The only issue I have always stuck to is Caleb Miller is not a good player for us.

Again, I have changed my mind on seveal issues raised on this board after reading the postings of others.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='621226' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:35 PM']^^^

Not at all true, if presented with a good arguement my mind can change. The problem is it has to be a pretty damned good argument.[/quote]

[quote name='Rick' post='621227' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:40 PM']I have changed my mind on several issues raised on this board. The only issue I have always stuck to is Caleb Miller is not a good player for us.

Again, I have changed my mind on seveal issues raised on this board after reading the postings of others.[/quote]

I apologize if I've offended either of you. I like, Jamie, how you preface it with a "has to be a pretty damned good argument" comment! Kind of like you feel confident in your opinion and its going to take something really, really convincing to make you think otherwise.

I'm the same way - maybe even more hard-headed than you! That is why I thought it was funny.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='621229' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:46 PM']I apologize if I've offended either of you. I like, Jamie, how you preface it with a "has to be a pretty damned good argument" comment! Kind of like you feel confident in your opinion and its going to take something really, really convincing to make you think otherwise.

I'm the same way - maybe even more hard-headed than you! That is why I thought it was funny.[/quote]

If only because Ive done research on some if not most of these things.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621094' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:33 PM']Al Wilson is field general. He is a MLB that KNOWS where to put his people, has an awesome work ethic, a proven star performer, and an example of heart and passion.

He definitely ISN'T a training table "star" that we've had so often in the past.

Where would you put Brooks? Assuming that he can stay healthy, you put him on either side.

Put the best out there that you can get... Wilson is better than ANY LB that we currently have on this team, signed/injured/or RFA/FA.

Screw potential, I want proven performance... and if Brooks is the "be all and end all" that many WANT to think that he is... he'll play ahead of Wilson based on his performance. If nothing else he can learn from a REAL LB what playing the MLB position is all about.[/quote]
agree wholeheartedly. we could just as easily move brooks to the SAM position. he might even be more of a dominant player there...who knows?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='621229' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:46 PM']I apologize if I've offended either of you. I like, Jamie, how you preface it with a "has to be a pretty damned good argument" comment! Kind of like you feel confident in your opinion and its going to take something really, really convincing to make you think otherwise.

I'm the same way - maybe even more hard-headed than you! That is why I thought it was funny.[/quote]

Don't worry, you have not offended me. I was just making the point I am open-minded.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='621026' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:03 PM']that doesn't really make any sense..... at all...[/quote]

So you're saying that Brooks is better than Wilson? What you're saying makes no sense. Al Wilson is an All Pro linebacker when healthy(the last two seasons he played). If hes truly healthy, then hes a top LB in the league again. Simple as that. Brooks doesn't hold a candle to him.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='621203' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:44 PM']Hey, genius, he played for us in '06, remember? In his first two starts he had 16 tackles (13 solo!), 2 passes defended, and a sack while we only gave up a total of 28 points. He was very raw and undisciplined, but it was easy to see that he had the tools to be a fine MLB.

Remember when Al Wilson played in 06? He was an ALL-PRO selection, and has been twice in his career. If he's truly healthy, we cannot pass him up.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='621179' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:55 PM']ha

1.6 points a game difference doesnt change our record at all... teh yardage there is kinda pointless with the points differential being so low.. even stacking all the points into a few games, we finish 8-8 or 9-7 at best. and thats no playoff record..

so it is pretty telling, wilson is nobody, and if he were worth a damn, someone else would care.

al wilson = ed hartwell[/quote]

Ed Hartwell has never even made a Pro Bowl in his entire career. Al Wilson was an All-Pro in 05 and 06. You're saying some pretty retarded shit, Go.

The thing is, the season before he was injured, and the season before that, he was an All-Pro selection. For the right price, he is easily worth the chance.

[quote name='staticx682000' post='621264' date='Jan 10 2008, 08:09 PM']I think Wilson could be a good move for the right price, it's not fair at all to compare Ed to Wilson..When it comes to injuries i will take a neck over a knee any day, guys in the nfl can't lose a step no matter what age..[/quote]

Especially since he's known as one of the fastest LBs in the league. A neck injury does nothing to hinder that.

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='621268' date='Jan 10 2008, 08:15 PM']Especially since he's known as one of the fastest LBs in the league. A neck injury does nothing to hinder that.[/quote]

No but being 30 could. I'd be fine with a workout, but it [b]is[/b] a risk and what do we do with Brooks then? He has to get some experience at some point.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='621272' date='Jan 10 2008, 08:19 PM']No but being 30 could. I'd be fine with a workout, but it [b]is[/b] a risk and what do we do with Brooks then? He has to get some experience at some point.[/quote]

With his pass rushing abilities wouldnt he be better suited as the SAM?

Archived