Whoever the next DC is, he should look at Al Wilson

As a Tennessee Volunteer fan I worshipped Wilson. He played injured most of the 1998 National Championship year, but every single player on the defense said that Al Wilson was the reason we were undefeated that year. he was the greatest leader I have ever seen in college ball. I believe he can be a great coach if he desires to go in that direction.

HOWEVER.....

I still would not sign him. MLB is one of the few positions where we have a promising young player with star potential. Brooks needs to be getting every single rep he can in practice.

Also we all saw what happened to Priest Holmes after he was "cleared to play".

Every roster spot is crucial. We can't afford to use any of them on guys as risky as Al Wilson.

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='621102' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:53 PM']:lol:

:huh:

so funny and so sad...

It does...

He was a great linebacker for them. If he could bring that to the table all year long Id love him for it. But that is the question. Can he? A coach once told me that if you have two players one young and one old and they perform at the same level you play the younger one because he'll be that much better than the older guy as time goes on. So I guess it's two questions 1. Can he stay healthy? 2. Is he better than Brooks performance-wise? Given the teams track record at giving players a second chance Id say theyre gonna take a look at him unless theyre happy with Brooks.[/quote]

Do they perform at the same level? Is he better than Brooks performance-wise?

You already know the answers to these questions... but I'll go ahead and answer them for those who want to believe that Brooks is the next coming of Butkus (this is just like the baseball guys who are mad about the Reds trading Josh Hamilton... lot's of potential, but nothing in the way of sustained high level performance).

No they aren't at the same level and yes he IS better than Brooks performance-wise.
Brooks has never even made it through one whole season and Wilson is a 5 time probowler.

Can he stay healthy? Who knows... can Brooks?

If you look at it realitically, they both have the same chance at being healthy and Wilson has a proven track record of high caliber performance... whereas Brooks is only potential at this point. Wilson could break his neck just as easily as Brooks could... as David Pollack could attest to.

My bottom line is this;

New DC coming in, and what are you giving him as a foundation/general for his defense?

A young guy with potential that has trouble staying healthy or a proven field general that could possibly be injured again too?

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621122' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:30 PM'][b]Do they perform at the same level? Is he better than Brooks performance-wise?[/b]

You already know the answers to these questions... but I'll go ahead and answer them for those who want to believe that Brooks is the next coming of Butkus (this is just like the baseball guys who are mad about the Reds trading Josh Hamilton... lot's of potential, but nothing in the way of sustained high level performance).

No they aren't at the same level and yes he IS better than Brooks performance-wise.
Brooks has never even made it through one whole season and Wilson is a 5 time probowler.

Can he stay healthy? Who knows... can Brooks?

If you look at it realitically, they both have the same chance at being healthy and Wilson has a proven track record of high caliber performance... whereas Brooks is only potential at this point. Wilson could break his neck just as easily as Brooks could... as David Pollack could attest to.

My bottom line is this;

New DC coming in, and what are you giving him as a foundation/general for his defense?

A young guy with potential that has trouble staying healthy or a proven field general that could possibly be injured again too?[/quote]

one of them was at least cleared to even play in the nfl last year... ill take that one.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='621124' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:34 PM']one of them was at least cleared to even play in the nfl last year... ill take that one.[/quote]

But he could only manage 1 & 1/4 games and ISN'T cleared to play yet... I'll take the other as a starter at MLB.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621130' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:40 PM']But he could only manage 1 & 1/4 games and ISN'T cleared to play yet... I'll take the other as a starter at MLB.[/quote]

he was cleared to paly by the doctors a while ago actually. during the season.. they didnt wnat to risk reinjury with the shotty LB coaching..

[quote name='fredtoast' post='621113' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:11 PM']As a Tennessee Volunteer fan I worshipped Wilson. He played injured most of the 1998 National Championship year, but every single player on the defense said that Al Wilson was the reason we were undefeated that year. he was the greatest leader I have ever seen in college ball. I believe he can be a great coach if he desires to go in that direction.

HOWEVER.....

I still would not sign him. MLB is one of the few positions where we have a promising young player with star potential. Brooks needs to be getting every single rep he can in practice.

Also we all saw what happened to Priest Holmes after he was "cleared to play".

Every roster spot is crucial. We can't afford to use any of them on guys as risky as Al Wilson.[/quote]

Completely agree, thus I want Suggs or Dansby if they become available.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='621133' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:42 PM']Brooks had as many sacks and FF in one game of '07 as Wilson had in 15 games the last year he played ('06).[/quote]

pretty telling

[quote name='fredtoast' post='621133' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:42 PM']Brooks had as many sacks and FF in one game of '07 as Wilson had in 15 games the last year he played ('06).[/quote]

Would you like to see even more telling stats from 2006?

2006 Defensive Leaders

RNK NAME YDS YPG RUSH RUSH YPG PASS PASS YPG PTS PTS/G

14 Denver 5223 326.4 1813 113.3 3410 213.1 305 19.1

30 Cincinnati 5681 355.1 1863 116.4 3818 238.6 331 20.7

Wow... I wonder if we would've made the playoffs with Denvers defense in 2006 vice ours?

I'd take Wilsons leadership over Brooks "performace" any day... and I'd bet the farm that the next DC would too.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='621138' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:46 PM']If Wilson is healthy and could resume his once productive career why isnt Denver interested?
They're defense is worse than the Bengals.[/quote]

Who said they aren't?

They also just got rid of their DC (Bates), and I'd be willing to bet that the Donkey's ARE interested in him.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621144' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:52 PM']I'd take Wilsons leadership over Brooks "performace" any day... and I'd bet the farm that the next DC would too.[/quote]

I'll take that bet.

I guarantee that the Bengals will not sign Wilson to play over Brooks.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='621147' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:55 PM']I'll take that bet.

I guarantee that the Bengals will not sign Wilson to play over Brooks.[/quote]

Oh I won't be surprised if they don't sign him... one thing that EVERYONE has remarked as a significant deterrent to us improving our defense is that we have had different starting MLB's every year.
I see no change in the FO that says they will change philosophies any time soon.

Why in the world would you sign a proven performer over an unproven young guy with potential?

Why would you want a guy who has proven he could line up the entire defense and make sure they are in position to make stops?

Hell no... give me the unproven "stud" who doesn't know the position... we'll be better with him! :rolleyes:

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621151' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:00 PM']Oh I won't be surprised if they don't sign him... one thing that EVERYONE has remarked as a significant deterrent to us improving our defense is that we have had different starting MLB's every year.
I see no change in the FO that says they will change philosophies any time soon.

Why in the world would you sign a proven performer over an unproven young guy with potential?

Why would you want a guy who has proven he could line up the entire defense and make sure they are in position to make stops?

Hell no... give me the unproven "stud" who doesn't know the position... we'll be better with him! :rolleyes:[/quote]

you assume Brooks can't play the position. (spare me the "show me" crap)

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='621153' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:03 PM']you assume Brooks can't play the position. (spare me the "show me" crap)[/quote]

even with the "show me" crap how is he ever supposed to get the reps he needs to get the experience he needs to show you?

Unless they would move Brooks to WILL we have no need for a MLB.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='621153' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:03 PM']you assume Brooks can't play the position. (spare me the "show me" crap)[/quote]

Bullshit!

Spare me the show me?

For God sake's... what else are you SUPPOSED to go on?
Hell... Reggie Williams WAS a great MLB for us, since we don't have to "show" you can do it still, let's just resign him and all of our problems are solved!!

He's a high character guy too...

spare me the show me... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621155' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:06 PM']Bullshit!

Spare me the show me?

For God sake's... what else are you SUPPOSED to go on?
Hell... Reggie Williams WAS a great MLB for us, since we don't have to "show" you can do it still, let's just resign him and all of our problems are solved!!

He's a high character guy too...

spare me the show me... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

and what are you basing your opinion on? Fact is, we've seen more from him that says he CAN play the position well than that says he can't.

Is it much? No, but you're assumption that he can't play the position has absolutely nothing to back it up other than your opinion.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='621124' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:34 PM']one of them was at least cleared to even play in the nfl last year... ill take that one.[/quote]
That played a whole 1 game and 3 snaps more...

For the right price I'd take a chance on Big Al... If you make his contract incentive-based there is minimal risk but the reward potential is off the charts. You all want a guy that will get in people's shit when they fuck up. Al's your man!

fred - you trader! How you gonna turn on one of our own?! :ninja:

ha

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='621144' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:52 PM']Would you like to see even more telling stats from 2006?

2006 Defensive Leaders

RNK NAME YDS YPG RUSH RUSH YPG PASS PASS YPG PTS PTS/G

14 Denver 5223 326.4 1813 113.3 3410 213.1 305 19.1

30 Cincinnati 5681 355.1 1863 116.4 3818 238.6 331 20.7

Wow... I wonder if we would've made the playoffs with Denvers defense in 2006 vice ours?

I'd take Wilsons leadership over Brooks "performace" any day... and I'd bet the farm that the next DC would too.[/quote]

1.6 points a game difference doesnt change our record at all... teh yardage there is kinda pointless with the points differential being so low.. even stacking all the points into a few games, we finish 8-8 or 9-7 at best. and thats no playoff record..

so it is pretty telling, wilson is nobody, and if he were worth a damn, someone else would care.

al wilson = ed hartwell

[quote name='GoBengals' post='621179' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:55 PM']ha

1.6 points a game difference doesnt change our record at all... teh yardage there is kinda pointless with the points differential being so low.. even stacking all the points into a few games, we finish 8-8 or 9-7 at best. and thats no playoff record..

so it is pretty telling, wilson is nobody, and if he were worth a damn, someone else would care.

al wilson = ed hartwell[/quote]

It's always interesting to see how we judge a F/A by his past achievements and reputation.Truth be told,these guys have a short shelf life.In general,by the time they reach 30,they are pretty beaten up
with declining skills.Picking a 30 year old F/A who still has gas in the tank is tougher that picking a college draft pick .It's not what they've done but what they will do in the future.

[quote name='Patmo' post='621186' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:07 PM']It's always interesting to see how we judge a F/A by his past achievements and reputation.Truth be told,these guys have a short shelf life.In general,by the time they reach 30,they are pretty beaten up
with declining skills.Picking a 30 year old F/A who still has gas in the tank is tougher that picking a college draft pick .It's not what they've done but what they will do in the future.[/quote]

Im with you on that......I think ole Al's best days are behind him.....

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='621176' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:49 PM']fred - you trader! How you gonna turn on one of our own?! :ninja:[/quote]

Not just one of my own, but possibly my favorite Vol of all time.

Now that I have rejected him he will probably sign with the Steelers and lead them to another Super Bowl.

Archived