hire norm chow

What has Norm Chow proved as an NFL coach? Not being snarky, just asking...I don't feel like looking it up.
If his resume resembles anything like Pete Carrol's, then they are both better off coaching USC.
No offense, but sometimes college coaching success just doesn't translate well into the NFL...see Spurrier, Steve.

On this matter, more than any other, I trust Palmer and it is clear from his comments before the Tennessee game that he would love to have Chow on the staff. And I suspect he would prefer him calling the plays. And from Chow's comments, it was clear he would love to be calling plays for Palmer. If they love it, then I love it. Everything else about the offense is secondary to me. Not unimportant, but secondary.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='623238' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:49 PM']go, it makes me wonder sometimes if we're the only fans on this place that take to time to think before we post.

As cute of an idea this thread was.[/quote]

eh, thats what this place is for, bouncing ideas, passing time, "yo mama" jokes, etc.

norm did ok in college, but the nfl is a different moster, and anything he and carson had working is not only long gone, but was based on college game, rules, players, opposition. norm is no different than john doe OC at this point. the only OC who has a personal advantage with carson currently is Bratkowski, as he has seem him develop and grow and make mistakes and learn on.

if only there were even 5 other guys on offense who played all year at the right position consistantly we may have broke .500

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='623322' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:20 AM']Carson's beef is with Brat, not Zamp. FYI...[/quote]

Unless you have any inside knowledge that you're willing to enlighten us with, then all signs/rumors/innuendo have pointed to a rift between Palmer & Zampese.

[quote][size=5][b]Dismissal is shock for Chow[/b][/size]
Titans may rehire Heimerdinger
By JIM WYATT • Staff Writer • January 16, 2008

Conventional wisdom said the Titans struggled on offense this season because they didn't have enough playmakers and their quarterback underachieved.

Coach Jeff Fisher apparently thought otherwise, so on Tuesday he called offensive coordinator Norm Chow and fired him.

The Titans are expected to move quickly to replace Chow and have their sights set on Denver Broncos assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger, who was Fisher's offensive coordinator from 2000-04.

Fisher's phone call caught Chow off-guard. He left Nashville last week to visit his wife in California and was planning to come back and accompany the rest of the coaching staff to Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala.

"It's just 'Why?' " Chow said. "No one ever came to me and said, 'I want it done this way' or 'why are we doing this?' I always felt like I coached the right way and if I wasn't, then someone would tell me. Then all of a sudden this comes out of the blue. Three years of giving everything I had and it took him three minutes.

"It was a shock to me, but you move on. He must have somebody in mind, a friend maybe?''

The friend appears to be Heimerdinger, who spent the past two seasons with the Broncos after one season with the New York Jets. On Tuesday night the Titans requested permission to speak with him.

Fisher declined comment on potential replacements for Chow.

"I gave a lot of thought and consideration to the future and the direction of our offense and made a very tough decision,'' Fisher said Tuesday night. "I decided to go a different direction and I am very appreciative of the commitment and hard work and everything that Coach Chow did for us the last three years. It's never easy to make decisions like this. But I wanted to go in a different direction. I felt what was best for us was to move on and now we move forward.''

[b]What now for Chow?[/b]
Chow, 61, interviewed for the head-coaching job at UCLA that went to Rick Neuheisel and may be a candidate as the Bruins' offensive coordinator.

USC's offensive coordinator from 2001-04, Chow still has a home in the Los Angeles area.

Chow recently signed a two-year contract extension with the Titans believed to be worth more than $1 million per year. He said he was told the Titans are going to honor the deal.

"I have been doing this for a long time. Maybe I want to step back for a year, I don't know,'' Chow said. "It's disappointing the way things worked out, but you have to move on."

"I enjoyed the time, the players, the assistant coaches, cafeteria workers, the security staff, the janitors. I'll miss a lot of friends that I made there. I don't know what I am going to do to be honest. We'll see what happens.''

Reach Jim Wyatt at 259-8015 or jwyatt@tennessean.com.[/quote]

[url="http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080116/SPORTS01/801160466/1027"]http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../801160466/1027[/url]

Besides the fact that Chow was an o-coordinator with an elite California team with the best talent (and knows Carson), what makes him a logical candidate for the Bengals in ANY capacity?
He got fired from the Titans, and their offense is worse than ours, talent-wise. Why would he be better here than there? Because he woul be surrouned by more talent like he was at USC?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='623774' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:09 PM']Besides the fact that Chow was an o-coordinator with an elite California team with the best talent (and knows Carson), what makes him a logical candidate for the Bengals in ANY capacity?
He got fired from the Titans, and their offense is worse than ours, talent-wise. Why would he be better here than there? Because he woul be surrouned by more talent like he was at USC?[/quote]

it could be argued that, when he was brought in, he was to put in place a system for QB's such as Billy Volek, and an aging Steve McNair. Then he had Vince Young put upon him, a completely different style QB.

I don't think any of us would complain with the top 5 rushing attack he orchestrated in Tennessee each of the last 2 years.

Archived