Newest Edition of USAToday`s Inside Slant (1-17-08)

[quote name='SF2' post='624365' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:27 PM']I can't believe you are such an idiot to believe that because someone wrote he was coming back from church it is true. Its not. He was shot on Sunday evening climbing into hos buddy's car about to go pick up another buddy at the airport. He was hanging out with his old friends in his pretty rough neighborhood i.e. a high gang high shooting area. I am not blaming him for this, just in a bad place where bad things happen.

He was speeding and lost control of his car in the rain. Not heinous but not smart either. We lose a lot of good athletes that way.[/quote]

I would say "I can't believe you're such a dick!", but I can believe that. You are aware that he was shot in the neighborhood that he LIVED IN. It's kind of hard to avoid your own neighborhood.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='624406' date='Jan 18 2008, 02:38 PM']I would say "I can't believe you're such a dick!", but I can believe that. You are aware that he was shot in the neighborhood that he LIVED IN. It's kind of hard to avoid your own neighborhood.[/quote]

Three days before the NFL draft and you are projected in the late first early second round. Of course you can avoid the neighborhood. Its not kinda HARD to avoid your own neighborhood if you have money a bright future and your neighborhood is gang infested.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545407"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545407[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624371' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:32 PM']have anything to back that up?[/quote]

Monday, April 21, 2003

Weathersby: I was in wrong place at wrong time
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The draft status of cornerback prospect Dennis Weathersby has been rendered uncertain after the former Oregon State star was shot Sunday evening in his hometown of Duarte, Calif., a Los Angeles suburb.

While the injuries inflicted in the shooting are not life-threatening, and Weathersby is expected to be released from the hospital by Wednesday, it could be 6-8 weeks until the cornerback is cleared to resume any football-related activities. The fact he will probably miss rookie orientation as well as a mini-camp might drop him from his consensus second-round status.

The positive news, on a relative basis, is that Weathersby will not require surgery for any of his injuries.

Weathersby was shot in the back, below the lungs, with the bullet passing through his torso, and entering his forearm. Contrary to an earlier report by ESPN.com, the bullet did not exit his arm, is still lodged there, but will not be removed.

Teams that were considering Weathersby in the weekend draft, certainly will want a detailed analysis of his physical condition.

[b]"I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I feel fine," Weathersby said[/b]. "I'm lucky. The Lord has a reason for everything and this must be a part of his plan for me."

[b]Weathersby was said to be climbing into a car with what spokesman Steve Caric called "a casual acquaintance," and on his way to the airport to pick up a friend who was flying in to join him for draft festivities, at the time of the attack.
Police in Los Angeles are investigating the incident and hope, at some point on Monday, to have a better understanding of exactly what transpired. The attack occurred in an area where gang activity is said to be high..[/b]

Deputy Harry Drucker of the Los Angeles Police, said the incident is being treated as gang-related, but Weathersby's agent, Gary Uberstine said his client has not been involved in gang activities.

"It is being investigated as a gang incident. There is a gang presence in the area and a rivalry there,'' Drucker told The AP on Monday.

Two league teams contacted by ESPN.com said they had no reports of past gang activity by the player, who was an academic All-American at Oregon State.

There have been no arrests yet in the incident.

Last week, in an interview with ESPN.com, Weathersby spoke at length about the tough neighborhood in which he was raised. Some teams felt that Weathersby had an attitude problem, and the corner explained might be in part a function of his boyhood environment.

"Maybe it's because of my upbringing or something," Weathersby said. "I'm just not close to a lot of people. I pretty much keep to myself. It's still hard for me to trust people real easily. So maybe some teams see that as a problem. I'm just not the kind of person who opens up quickly, that's all."

Weathersby, 22, was a four-year starter at Oregon State, appearing in 48 games, and had five interceptions and 56 passes defensed in his career.

He was regarded by most teams as a likely second-round choice, but a few clubs had him rated a first-round possibility.

"First and foremost, we are relieved that Dennis is OK," Uberstine said. "This is a tragic event and our thoughts and prayers are obviously with Dennis and his family. From a football standpoint, this will not jeopardize his career in any way. After speaking with his doctors, we are expecting a complete and speedy recovery."

So you wanted evidence from me, what about the "walking home from church" crowd?

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545407"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545407[/url]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1541930"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1541930[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624426' date='Jan 18 2008, 02:58 PM']damn him! What kind of idiot picks up a friend and drives to the airport. Shame on him.

What a joke.[/quote]

I never said there was anything wrong. I think Dennis says himself he was in the wrong place. His words not mine. Take up your beef with him.

Oh, he wasn't picking up a friend, he was in a bad part of town and his friend was picking him up. Hmmm.

[quote name='SF2' post='624433' date='Jan 18 2008, 03:04 PM']I never said there was anything wrong. I think Dennis says himself he was in the wrong place. His words not mine. Take up your beef with him.[/quote]

seriously, have you ever heard the phrase "wrong place, wrong time." It doesn't mean he did anything wrong or where he shouldn't have been. Nort does when one use it are they talking about having done something wrong (which you have implied, whether you want to believe it or not). He's just stating that he was unlucky.

Seriously.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624439' date='Jan 18 2008, 03:10 PM']seriously, have you ever heard the phrase "wrong place, wrong time." It doesn't mean he did anything wrong or where he shouldn't have been. Nort does when one use it are they talking about having done something wrong (which you have implied, whether you want to believe it or not). He's just stating that he was unlucky.

Seriously.[/quote]
Seriously, I never implied that the shooting was his fault. I said he was in a bad part of town and his friend was picking him up which is ABSOLUTELY true. Not smart but not criminal. Beside we picked him after he was shot. Just not gonna stand by while others proclaim he was walking back from church, curing leppers and baking cakes for old ladies before he turned for home when he was shot. Its simply not true. I WILL say the SINGLE car accident was his fault. Thats the one that ended his Bengals career.

To reiterate, He was in a bad part of town and his friend was PICKING him up. NOT the other way around. He was in a bad place under his own volition. Just not very bright.

[quote name='SF2' post='624468' date='Jan 18 2008, 03:40 PM']Seriously, I never implied that the shooting was his fault. I said he was in a bad part of town and his friend was picking him up which is ABSOLUTELY true. Not smart but not criminal. Beside we picked him after he was shot. Just not gonna stand by while others proclaim he was walking back from church, curing leppers and baking cakes for old ladies before he turned for home when he was shot. Its simply not true. I WILL say the SINGLE car accident was his fault. Thats the one that ended his Bengals career.

To reiterate, He was in a bad part of town and his friend was PICKING him up. NOT the other way around.[/quote]

where the hell are you getting all of this church stuff?

And you're a lying fool if you're going to sit there and say you're not trying to imply anything.

Not everyone who lives in bad neighborhoods is a bad person.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624475' date='Jan 18 2008, 03:47 PM']where the hell are you getting all of this church stuff?

And you're a lying fool if you're going to sit there and say you're not trying to imply anything.

Not everyone who lives in bad neighborhoods is a bad person.[/quote]

[quote name='bengalwhodey' post='624050' date='Jan 17 2008, 05:03 PM']He was shot walking home from Church. :unsure:[/quote]

[quote name='kennethmw' post='624285' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:33 AM']I can't believe you are dogging this kid because he was inadvertently shot coming home from church in front of his house and because he was in a car accident. He wasn't drunk or using drugs, it was an ACCIDENT. You should be ashamed.[/quote]

I didn't say he was a bad person, just not very bright... and a bad driver and another wasted pick.

BTW when did drive by shootings become inadvertent shootings? Whatever.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624488' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:06 PM']to my knowledge, no one he was with was getting shot at. He simply got hit by a stray bullet.[/quote]

No, everyone says he was being shot at. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The theory is the gang bangers thought he was a rival banger so they did a drive by.

[quote name='SF2' post='624490' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:10 PM']No, everyone says he was being shot at. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The theory is the gang bangers [b]thought [/b]he was a rival banger so they did a drive by.[/quote]

so it was still something unrelated to him...

[quote name='SF2' post='624490' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:10 PM']No, everyone says he was being shot at. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The theory is the gang bangers thought he was a rival banger so they did a drive by.[/quote]

Why are you full of shit?

No one said he was being shot at.. And the people doing the shooting knew who they were shooting at.. They were shooting at the house of a rival gang leader, which Weathersby happened to be unluckily standing in front of.

Why make shit up?

[quote]San Gabriel Valley Tribune

Crackdown on gangs results in 40 arrests
40 arrested in crackdown on gangs

Sunday, May 18, 2003 -

DUARTE -- A police crackdown on gang activity in an area where a star football player was shot coupled with increased cooperation from victims and witnesses has resulted in 40 arrests in two weeks, authorities said.

The increased police presence has been so intense that two of the area's most notorious gang members have moved away and a third the shooter of football star Dennis Weathersby has been arrested, said Lt. Steve Biagini of the sheriff's Temple Station. After a rash of drive-by-shootings, there hasn't been an incident since April 22, he said.

The rivalry between the African-American gang Duroc Crips and the Latino gang Duarte Eastside has been a "historic' problem, primarily in the county area between the cities of Duarte, Monrovia and Arcadia, authorities said.

The gangs have existed since the early '80s, and officers said their battles ebb and flow in frequency and intensity. They're motivated by turf wars, racial hatred and often by revenge, according to police.

[b]The problem received national attention on April 20 when Weathersby, a star Oregon State defensive back and projected first round pick in the NFL draft, was shot outside the home of a known gang member in the 700 block of Meridian Street. Authorities said Weathersby, who grew up in the neighborhood, wasn't a gang member, but an innocent victim caught in the crossfire of the gang war.

The bullet went through Weathersby's back, narrowly missing his vital organs, and lodged in his arm, authorities said. Doctors estimated Weathersby would be able to play football as soon as six weeks after the shooting. [/b]

The NFL draft took place the weekend after the shooting and there was speculation that Weathersby's injuries would hurt his draft status. Instead of being picked in an early round of the draft, which would have likely landed him a lucrative contract, Weathersby was drafted in the fourth round by the Cincinnati Bengals.

Weathersby's shooting was the fourth gang-related shooting in as many weeks, a period which also included one homicide.

The sheriff's department forcefully responded to the problem, Biagini said, increasing patrols and bringing in specialized units. The Monrovia and Irwindale police departments also joined the patrols, he said.

A key resource has been Probation Officer Frank Pallares, who now is based indefinitely at the sheriff's Temple Station, Biagini said. Typically, adults on probation aren't well monitored because there are only six officers in the county assigned to monitor them, Biagini said.

"These guys on adult probation are out there committing crimes and there's no chance for the county officers to go get them,' he said.

Pallares' presence enables authorities to issue search warrants, and do condition and compliance searches to assure adults on probation comply with the conditions that allow them on the streets, Biagini said. Pallares' scrutiny also revealed 25 more gang members living in the area, Biagini said.

The increased law enforcement presence is important, but residents assisting in investigations is vital, Biagini said. A previous frustration for sheriff's authorities was a lack of participation from the community, but significant arrests have come recently because witnesses or victims stepped forward, Biagini said.

Two of the arrests took place April 29, including that of Juan Serna, 24, a Duarte Eastside gang member accused of shooting Weathersby. Serna was arrested after he was pointed out to authorities, which led to a search warrant, which yielded a bounty of weapons, including a Tech-9 submachine gun, handguns and a silencer, Biagini said.

"People were willing to come forward and tell us, 'This is who did it, this is what happened,'' Biagini said. "We were able to go out and make arrests in every case.'

Mary Barrow, spokeswoman for the city of Duarte, is encouraged by community involvement, she said.

"This is a major development and it shows that people are really upset and they're heeding the call that they need to cooperate,' Barrow said.

A community meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the gym at Pamela Park, 2236 Goodall Avenue. Local officials, including L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca and Supervisor Michael Antonovich, will discuss the recent problems and possible solutions, Barrow said.[/quote]

[quote name='Lucid' post='624498' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:21 PM']Why are you full of shit?

No one said he was being shot at.. And the people doing the shooting knew who they were shooting at.. They were shooting at the house of a rival gang leader, which Weathersby happened to be unluckily standing in front of.

Why make shit up?[/quote]

You are an idiot. He was climbing into his buddy's vehicle in front of a know gang leader's house when a white SUV opened up and shot him in the back. I didn't say they knew who he was or that he was specifically targeted because of who he was, I said, as did the most of the reports that he was SHOT by a suspected gang member who probably thought he was a member of a rival gang.

You see, when someone points a gun at you and pulls the trigger, you are being shot at. It may be hard for you to comprehend but there are actually innocent people who get shot at. Weathersby seems to be part of that group. The dickheads probably saw him in front of the target house and decided to shoot at him too. You see, in a gang, its cool to kill members of the other gang. That how you get street cred.

Thats also why there are 700+ gang related murders in LA alone every year. Weathersby was a victim and was most likely intentionally shot, not hit by a stray bullet. Now go shine Mike's shoes like a good little bitch.

[quote name='SF2' post='624564' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:02 PM']You are an idiot. He was climbing into his buddy's vehicle in front of a know gang leader's house when a white SUV opened up and shot him in the back. I didn't say they knew who he was or that he was specifically targeted because of who he was, I said, as did the most of the reports that he was SHOT by a suspected gang member who probably thought he was a member of a rival gang.

You see, when someone points a gun at you and pulls the trigger, you are being shot at. It may be hard for you to comprehend but there are actually innocent people who get shot at. Weathersby seems to be part of that group. The dickheads probably saw him in front of the target house and decided to shoot at him too. You see, in a gang, its cool to kill members of the other gang. That how you get street cred.

Thats also why there are 700+ gang related murders in LA alone every year. Weathersby was a victim and was most likely intentionally shot, not hit by a stray bullet. [color="#FF0000"]Now go shine Mike's shoes like a good little bitch.[/color][/quote]

cool it

one question i always had...has anyone ever determined why he was in front of that gang member's house...the very place where he was being picked up by his friend? it would lead you to think he might have previously been in that guy's house prior to being shot. then again, maybe it was just coincidence. this is not to say dennis wasn't a good kid, i think virtually everyone has stepped forward and said he was.

[quote name='bengaled' post='624268' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:59 AM']2002 team sacks=25
2003 team sacks=30
2004 team sacks=37
2005 team sacks=28
2006 team sacks=35
2007 team sacks=22

not getting the job done[/quote]

[quote]Defensive sack numbers are down this year. Teams averaged 34.4 sacks during the regular-season, which is the lowest since 2003 when they averaged 34.1. The sack averages over the last 3 years: 36.3 ('06), 36.9 ('05) and 37.4 ('04).[/quote]

[url="http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080118_Paul_Domowitch__Running_backs_abound_in_this_draft.html"]http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/200...this_draft.html[/url]

A sidebar from the paper at that time:

[quote]Saint Gabriel Valley Tribune
May 19, 2003

Police have identified two suspects in the April shooting of Dennis Weathersby. Warrants for the arrest of Lee Oswald and Elmer Fudd were issued yesterday.

Fudd spoke to the press after posting bond. "I'm innocent. I didn't mean to do it. I got confused, that's all. I was out looking for beaver before going rabbit hunting the next morning. What happened was I shot the Beaver."

Oswald was more difficult to find, until it was discovered that he was the unidentified person involved in an altercation at Pacman and Porter's strip club in Las Vegas, NV in late April. The events of that night are murky and still subject to dispute. Apparently, Oswald was assaulted by a woman and her friends in revenge for a perceived earlier insult. As Oswald was being assisted to an ambulance by police and paramedics, a man walked up and shot him dead.

Weathersby, who has since been drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, plans to work hard and have a long career playing in the NFL. "Rain or shine, I'm going to get in my car and drive as fast as I can to Cincinnati."[/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='624585' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:49 PM'][url="http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080118_Paul_Domowitch__Running_backs_abound_in_this_draft.html"]http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/200...this_draft.html[/url][/quote]

good work, old. but i still think this team has long term concerns getting to the QB. i'm really not all that excited about being a middle of the pack, middle of the road team. that says 8-8 is ok. i'm not satisfied with that.

[quote name='SF2' post='624564' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:02 PM']You are an idiot. He was climbing into his buddy's vehicle in front of a know gang leader's house when a white SUV opened up and shot him in the back. I didn't say they knew who he was or that he was specifically targeted because of who he was, I said, as did the most of the reports that he was SHOT by a suspected gang member who probably thought he was a member of a rival gang.

Thats also why there are 700+ gang related murders in LA alone every year. Weathersby was a victim and was most likely intentionally shot, not hit by a stray bullet. Now go shine Mike's shoes like a good little bitch.[/quote]

You're the fucking idiot... For some reason you want to say what "everybody" is saying about it, when there is absolutely no one anywhere who is saying that publically.

Maybe they shot him because they thought he ws someone else, or maybe he got shot by a stray bullet.

No one except the shooter knows for sure, but for some reason you want to pretend to.. But of course i'm an idiot for pointing out that your "probably" is pretty much just presumptive bullshit. And that in reality you don't know shit more than I do about it..

Making shit up and then trying to pretend you are smarter because of it is pretty idiotic , IMO.

Archived