** Bengals Trade For Robertson ** Per ESPN

LINK: [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274297"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274297[/url]

[quote]Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

By Michael Smith
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: March 3, 2008, 12:42 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to terms on a trade that would send defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources.

Robertson
Completion of the trade is contingent upon Robertson agreeing to a new contract -- he had two years remaining on his rookie deal with New York -- and passing a physical, though neither is expected to hold up the deal, which could be finalized as early as Monday.

On Friday the Bengals had a deal in place to acquire Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks, but that trade fell through when it did not meet league approval. The Lions then traded Rogers to the Bengals' in-state rivals, the Browns, for a third rounder and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

In Robertson, 26, the Bengals, hoping to improve a defense that has ranked higher than 27th in yards allowed once in the past five seasons, will get a player who isn't as big or as dominant as Rogers has been in his first five season. But Robertson is just as hungry for a fresh start. Robertson, 6-foot-1 and 310 pounds, should be a better fit as a penetrating "3-technique" tackle in Cincinnati's 4-3 scheme than he had been in the Jets' 3-4 the past two years.

In an interesting twist, the Bengals will have on their roster two of the first four picks in the 2003 draft. In fact, Cincinnati selected quarterback Carson Palmer first overall that year from among a group of four finalists that also included Robertson, whom Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis (along with many other personnel evaluators) is said to have loved coming out of the University of Kentucky.

Robertson will be the fifth interior defensive lineman to be dealt for at least one draft pick since Friday, joining Corey Williams (Packers to Browns), Kris Jenkins (Panthers to Jets), Marcus Stroud (Jaguars to Bills) and Rogers. Some do not consider the 2008 draft to be deep at the defensive tackle position, thus several teams have decided to instead spend pick on a veteran.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com.[/quote]

I'm going to wait until morning to get excited...

Fuck it I'll count my chickens before they hatch. GREAT GREAT GREAT move. Not only do we get a great interior lineman, we get to keep both 3rd round picks (assuming we get a comp pick for Steinbach)

Normally I would be doing back flips and running around in circles after seeing this news, But for some reason im not going to celebrate till I see Robertson wearing a #63 or #95 jersey in black and orange. Or maybe because its late at night and it has not really hit me yet.

Considering injuries ,age and production I think we got the 2nd best DT after Rogers.

1. Rogers
2. Robertson
3. Williams
4. Stroud
5. Jackson
6.Jenkins

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638868' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:17 AM']ill be excited when he plays well... wonder whos leaving.. jt or myers... cap says JT, ability to actually play a whole game or season says myers...

shall be interesting..

i know nothing of this robertson fellow...[/quote]

[b]#63 Dewayne Robertson | DT
[/b]
2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 68 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: Robertson is a short, low, center of gravity type player with good athleticism and instincts. He plays the nose tackle position in the newly installed Eric Mangini defense and does not have the ideal size to hold the point. He is tough and competitive but is not the space eater that normally plays this position in the 3-4 defensive scheme. He feels pad pressure well and can find the level of the ball effectively. Robertson can hold the point versus single blocks but is not great to anchor versus the double team. Robertson is best when on the move using his quickness and agility. He is most effective to stunt and penetrate gaps as he does not play stout and can get driven out of lanes. He has decent hand use to leverage blockers but is inconsistent to disengage effectively. Robertson does not get much push as an interior bull rusher and needs to pressure the quarterback with quickness and effort. Robertson marks up solid numbers every season and has been a durable player with 61 starts in four seasons. He plays with a great motor and has some tools as a defensive lineman but may not fit the pure nose tackle stature in the 3-4 defensive scheme

This is certainly better than not making a move. Robertson is athletic for a big man and will work better in a 4-3. If we're staying in a 4-3, then signing Odom makes more sense. I'd rather have a healthy, motivated Rogers, Jenkins, or Stroud but Robertson is better than Thornton or Peko.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638868' date='Mar 2 2008, 10:17 PM']ill be excited when he plays well... wonder whos leaving.. jt or myers... cap says JT, ability to actually play a whole game or season says myers...

shall be interesting..

i know nothing of this robertson fellow...[/quote]

Does anyone have to leave?

Couldnt Thornton move to part of the DE rotation?

I just figure that if the Bengals were sure Thornton would be going, they would have released him already
as a courtesy.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='638880' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:34 AM']Does anyone have to leave?

Couldnt Thornton move to part of the DE rotation?

I just figure that if the Bengals were sure Thornton would be going, they would have released him already
as a courtesy.[/quote]

i dunno, i havent checked the roster, i guess brob is gone, so i guess he fills that empty spot and jt becomes the new brob tweener?

makes sense...

and vetaran depth is good.

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='638872' date='Mar 3 2008, 05:26 PM'][b]#63 Dewayne Robertson | DT
[/b]
2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 68 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: Robertson is a short, low, center of gravity type player with good athleticism and instincts. He plays the nose tackle position in the newly installed Eric Mangini defense and does not have the ideal size to hold the point. He is tough and competitive but is not the space eater that normally plays this position in the 3-4 defensive scheme. He feels pad pressure well and can find the level of the ball effectively. Robertson can hold the point versus single blocks but is not great to anchor versus the double team. Robertson is best when on the move using his quickness and agility. He is most effective to stunt and penetrate gaps as he does not play stout and can get driven out of lanes. He has decent hand use to leverage blockers but is inconsistent to disengage effectively. Robertson does not get much push as an interior bull rusher and needs to pressure the quarterback with quickness and effort. Robertson marks up solid numbers every season and has been a durable player with 61 starts in four seasons. He plays with a great motor and has some tools as a defensive lineman but may not fit the pure nose tackle stature in the 3-4 defensive scheme[/quote]
Anyone else here think this report makes him sound like a younger JT? :unsure:

(not sure if that's good or not...)

If Marvin was truly considering this guy with the #1 pick when they chose Carson instead, that's enough for me to be excited.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638881' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:36 AM']i dunno, i havent checked the roster, i guess brob is gone, so i guess he fills that empty spot and jt becomes the new brob tweener?

makes sense...

and vetaran depth is good.[/quote]

Sound like a nice pickup, but nothing to get overly excited about.

I read somewhre he is a consistent disruptive force in the interior. This could be a blessing in disguise after the Rogers fiasco. [b]Also, this guy was a top 4 draft pick (3 spots after Carson) in 2003, who Marvin Lewis had apparently considered taking him if he didn't take Carson. ML was high on this guy back then, and then finally gets him anyway. So that's ok with me.[/b] Some people on this thread are still winging about the fact they didn't get Rogers. Maybe this is destiny, and Rogers wasn't mean't to be a good fit here - going the same way as Odell and Henry, who would've potientially followed him on the same path anyway. IMO we got the best guy out there in terms of durability, quality, experience, skills and character to fit our D. This guy could end up being better than Rogers ever would have been for us. Will some people here stop the whole moaning 'oh he's only a light upgrade, wanted Rogers more' shit.

Well, lets hope the front office do their homework and don't fuck this trade up.

Better still, let's get Odom and McCree in the fold aswell, and get Ellis in the first round.

ODOM - ROBERTSON - ELLIS - GEATHERS

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='638878' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:33 AM']You deserve a gold star...oh wait you have one.[/quote]
:lol:

After what happened Friday, I'm not getting excited until the press conference.

Archived