*General REDS discussion*

bgwilly31

[u]On Krivsky[/u]...he should be recognized for the bevy of players he unearthed from nothing to become what is now the core of the team - Phillips, Keppinger, [s]Hamilton[/s] Volquez to name the best examples - but his propensity for handing long and/or relatively lucrative deals to middling veterans cannot be ignored. Freel, Patterson, and Stanton are the most obvious.

It's odd - I've heard some say he was sacked because his shrewd personality didn't rub people well, perhaps most visibly in the exodus of veterans like Johnny Almanzar from our scouting department - but others said he was just too nice for the job, presumably implying that it was a generous streak that resulted in his giving out too much money to veterans whom he wasn't willing to call 'washed up.' And it's still too early to make a call on his drafting, though Stubbs is looking mighty crappy compared to Lincecum (actually, compared to lots of people). I'll reiterate my contention that Dan O'Brien had to go for some of the most boneheaded deals ever, but that sonofabitch sure could draft...just look at all the talent he bestowed on our farm in his short tenure!

[u]On Arroyo[/u]...time to GTFO of my rotation! With as good as Harang, Volquez, and Cueto are, and with as much promise as the Dominicans show even in defeat, (not to mention that their games are at least contests), I just can't bring myself to watch the recurring nightmares that are Belisle, Fogg, and Arroyo's bloodbaths. That's 40% of the games they're depriving me of watching!

Seriously...the worst Bailey can do is what Arroyo and pals do every start. Time to get him, and maybe Darryl Thompson or Roenicke, up here (if they think this is an opportune time to start Thompson's big-league arbitration clock, that is), and let them do that voodoo that they have done so well down on the farm.

It will be glorious...in Coffey and Arroyo, we will have the league's [i]premier[/i] tandem of mop-up men for use in blowout games! And the highest paid by a mile, no doubt...but that's a topic for the first paragraph.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='656086' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:02 PM'][u]On Krivsky[/u]...he should be recognized for the bevy of players he unearthed from nothing to become what is now the core of the team - Phillips, Keppinger, [s]Hamilton[/s] Volquez to name the best examples - but his propensity for handing long and/or relatively lucrative deals to middling veterans cannot be ignored. Freel, Patterson, and Stanton are the most obvious.

It's odd - I've heard some say he was sacked because his shrewd personality didn't rub people well, perhaps most visibly in the exodus of veterans like Johnny Almanzar from our scouting department - but others said he was just too nice for the job, presumably implying that it was a generous streak that resulted in his giving out too much money to veterans whom he wasn't willing to call 'washed up.' And it's still too early to make a call on his drafting, though Stubbs is looking mighty crappy compared to Lincecum (actually, compared to lots of people). I'll reiterate my contention that Dan O'Brien had to go for some of the most boneheaded deals ever, but that sonofabitch sure could draft...just look at all the talent he bestowed on our farm in his short tenure!

[b][u]On Arroyo[/u]...time to GTFO of my rotation! With as good as Harang, Volquez, and Cueto are, and with as much promise as the Dominicans show even in defeat, (not to mention that their games are at least contests), I just can't bring myself to watch the recurring nightmares that are Belisle, Fogg, and Arroyo's bloodbaths. That's 40% of the games they're depriving me of watching!

Seriously...the worst Bailey can do is what Arroyo and pals do every start. Time to get him, and maybe Darryl Thompson or Roenicke, up here (if they think this is an opportune time to start Thompson's big-league arbitration clock, that is), and let them do that voodoo that they have done so well down on the farm.[/b]It will be glorious...in Coffey and Arroyo, we will have the league's [i]premier[/i] tandem of mop-up men for use in blowout games! And the highest paid by a mile, no doubt...but that's a topic for the first paragraph.[/quote]

Oh Jesus God let it be so.
Arroyo has been the suckorz since he went 8-1 in 2006.
I want wins NOW, and apparently so does management, but we need to manage our team correctly.

It's time for Bailey. Like GTG said, he can't be any worse, and at least there's entertainment value there.

Goddammit, Bray, get yourself up here! And make Affeldt your #4-5 along with Bailey. Please don't let Belisle pitch again!

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='656061' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:14 PM']Something has to be wrong with arroyo...[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='656062' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:15 PM']its bad to say, but I'm really hoping he's injured. He was never a stud, but he didn't just start sucking.[/quote]

dare I say Bron-Bron's mailing it in?

Nah . . .couldn't be.

he MUST be hurt

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='656030' date='Apr 23 2008, 05:40 PM']BGwilly, im not trying to start any argument or anything, but what do you think of the hamilton trade so far?[/quote]

Well im Happy with Volquez thus far.

But this team cant hit. We could use a guy batting over .300 and 4hrs. couldnt we.

But to be honest i went to the game last night. This team has WAYYYY more problems than just one Power hitter.

I'll elaborate more on a few observations i made later.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='656319' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:05 PM']Well im Happy with Volquez thus far.

But this team cant hit. We could use a guy batting over .300 and 4hrs. couldnt we.

But to be honest i went to the game last night. This team has WAYYYY more problems than just one Power hitter.

I'll elaborate more on a few observations i made later.[/quote]

Quality starting pitching is so much harder to find than a good bat in the outfeild... Of course Hamilton will put up good numbers (you have to give to get), but this team was far more in need of pitching than hitting.

IMO

[quote name='Lucid' post='656342' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:51 PM']Quality starting pitching is so much harder to find than a good bat in the outfeild... Of course Hamilton will put up good numbers (you have to give to get), but this team was far more in need of pitching than hitting.

IMO[/quote]

Pitching has been the problem since I can remember, and while Hamilton was very, very special I think so far the trade has been worth it. I just want to see some bats come alive and SOON.

Reds are looking just plain bad. Lets hope this isn't the beginning of Cueto trying to do to much in the face of overwhelming offensive futility.

Baker is going to have to pull something out of a hat soon.. The body language of the players isn't good. If we don't do something soon, the club will lose all hope, and so goes the season.

[quote name='Lucid' post='656342' date='Apr 24 2008, 11:51 AM']Quality starting pitching is so much harder to find than a good bat in the outfeild... Of course Hamilton will put up good numbers (you have to give to get), but this team was far more in need of pitching than hitting.

IMO[/quote]

I absolutely agree with you lucid.

After going to the game and watching this team for the first time live. You notice little things that you dont from TV.

Heres my expierence from going to my first game this year.

First off. Dont go with drunk friends that like to party at the sidewalk thing and take forever to get to the start of the game. Thats right i finally got them walking towards the stadium adn here come the fireworks from griffs 597. My quote "Oh ***** great. That will be the only thing good for the reds im sure we'll see all night thanks ******" :lol:

We sat a few rows back from the rightside foul line. Perfect few of griff, Votto and phillips.

FIRST OFF once again the little things.
Not sure if any of you guys caught this but, D.ROSS (couldnt believe he actually hit that night btw) lead off dble. BRONSON Help your damn team out and get down a fucking bunt for crying out loud. For other teams this is routine. For us its as hard as getting a hit. Why let him swing away on the second pitch? If that was dustys call then im bitching at dusty. But hell in that situation 1 run game. Sure its early but we need that run. He strikes out, Hairston gets the hit, but ross is terribly slow so we didnt score. Kepp comes up and does exactly what your not supposed to do. Hit the ball on the ground. And the astros get of that with a zero runs.

Second.

4th inning before the onslaught occured.

Arroyo had a big SO before the pitcher. Then he did what he was supposed to do and Struck out the pitcher. Now 2 outs Men on 2nd and 3rd. Chinese guy up. Chinese guys are always Great CONTACT hitters. He was also batting over .300. WALK WALK WALK his ass. Make a force out at every base and pitch to the old guy batting .240. Im assuming this was Dustys miss???? That was soo stupid IMO>

Same inning during the onslaught. I'm sitting there watching griff. I decided to watch him throughout the entire pitch. Not even watch the pitch just watch him.
Well guess how ready griff is for a play. He sat there with his hands on his knees the entire time. That lazy asshat didnt move. He stayed like that for pitches on end. every know and again he would be moving in a "ready" position. But the majority of the night that was hit. Hands on his knees.

The line drive out to him during the onslaught. Yep thats right hands on his knees during the entire pitch. If he was creeping like an outfielder should he might have been able to get to that pitch instead of short hopping it.

The rest of the game i sat there and moaned and groaned.

Thats my rant. Bring on the haters. :rolleyes:

Reds 9-14 and now playing SF.

Who here thinks were in for one of the worst seasons in a few years?

Im really dreading the day/s that griff has 599hrs.

Because that is absolutely all we're going to hear about. I hope he only has 599 for about a day. Then the analyzers can talk about how bad this team is. and how were stuck with bronson Arroyo until the end of time.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='656999' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:29 AM']Reds 9-14 and now playing SF.

Who here thinks were in for one of the worst seasons in a few years?

Im really dreading the day/s that griff has 599hrs.

Because that is absolutely all we're going to hear about. I hope he only has 599 for about a day. Then the analyzers can talk about how bad this team is. and how were stuck with bronson Arroyo until the end of time.[/quote]
Don't worry, we'll get it back. We always do well against west coast teams....

[quote name='Bunghole' post='657076' date='Apr 25 2008, 12:27 PM']Don't worry, we'll get it back. We always do well against west coast teams....[/quote]

A friend of mine enjoys being a CINCY sports hater. Bengals and Reds.

And always enjoys to Predict the reds will suck each year at the beginning of the year. No matter who we pick up. Same with the bengals. He does the same.

But then he also enjoys to play conspiracy theorys. And he says things like "the MLB doesnt want the reds to suck this bad this early in the season because then they will lose the fans completely. So they wont let the reds fall too far behind, they will throw in a couple winning streaks to keep the fans still interested enough to watch. "

So now they are 9-14 and looking terrible. He put down a bet the red will win 6 out of their next 10 games. Just to keep us douchebags Hooked.

I follow the Giants, and I think they lose at least 2 out of 3 of these games. My neckbeard is growing huge (I threatened not to shave until Zito won...), and Volquez is going to make it that much worse.

Archived