!!! THE OFFICIAL GO-BENGALS.COM 2008 NFL DRAFT THREAD !!!

[quote name='KoKaine7777' post='658832' date='Apr 26 2008, 08:08 PM']The point is they didn't need to pick Simpson as their #2 pick. It's stupid. The front office/coaches are incompetent.[/quote]

Round 3 wish list

Tyvon Branch
Charles Godfrey
Frank Okam
Xavier Adibi
Ahtyba Rubin
Red Bryant
King Dunlap
Tashard Choice

[quote name='globetrotter' post='658820' date='Apr 27 2008, 11:04 AM']Lets hope so. Has anyone he has signed been drafted?[/quote]
I don't think so.

Wonder if Drew is re-thinking his "be the biggest asshole you can be, and get paid" strategy? If I was Connor, I'd be firing his ass and picking a new agent before round 3 started, that's for sure.

Well, it doesn't appear to be all about Mike Brown or money. From Lewis: “This is a guy I thoroughly scouted,” said Lewis, who added that Simpson elevated past receivers from bigger conferences. “I’m very impressed with him,” Lewis said, “speed, athleticism."

Whether it turns out well or does not, this is pretty clearly Lewis's man.

[quote name='KoKaine7777' post='658832' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:08 PM']The point is they didn't need to pick Simpson as their #2 pick. It's stupid. The front office/coaches are incompetent.[/quote]

Hey dipshit, you are not getting paid to evaluate college prospects, so why don't you stop trying to play keyboard GM, and let the professionals do their jobs. Simpson may not have been a 2nd rounder in you Sporting News draft guide, but maybe...just maybe, the Bengals know more than some idiot who writes for a shitty magazine.

[quote name='GoCommando' post='658839' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:13 PM']What stupid about it? Their #1 is sittin out the season (allegedly), their #2 is unsigned after this year, their #3 is unemployed, and their #4 is injury prone. We've had great success overall as a franchise with receivers, maybe they do know a little bit whats going on.[/quote]

Exactly! They probably got the best athlete that was available in the second round, and possibly in the draft. Seriously, this kid was one of the best players in his conference, all he did was make great catches, and he was all conference in the high jump and long jump to boot. He was off the beaten path, but since our wide recievers coach ran his workout and was at all the other guys workouts, he must have seen something that made him fight to get this guy. And friggin' eleven inch Hands!! This guy could palm a watermelon!

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='658861' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:24 PM']I don't think so.

Wonder if Drew is re-thinking his "be the biggest asshole you can be, and get paid" strategy? If I was Connor, I'd be firing his ass and picking a new agent before round 3 started, that's for sure.[/quote]

I`m pretty sure that Devin Thomas is a Drew Rosenhaus client.

[quote name='Turd Ferguson' post='658899' date='Apr 26 2008, 08:49 PM']Hey dipshit, you are not getting paid to evaluate college prospects, so why don't you stop trying to play keyboard GM, and let the professionals do their jobs. Simpson may not have been a 2nd rounder in you Sporting News draft guide, but maybe...just maybe, the Bengals know more than some idiot who writes for a shitty magazine.[/quote]
:lmao:

As to the Steelers going offense offense offense:

I have no fear of the Steelers running scatbacks behind a poor offensive line, letting their defense rot, and tossing the ball
up for grabs in the secondary. This isn't how the Steelers have dominated the divsion over the years, and it isn't the kind of game
they know how to play. Pittsburg beats us when they grind out the game on us, and rest their defense. When the offenses get uncorked, we win.

If they want to imitate us, or the Browns, I'll let them.

[quote name='Turd Ferguson' post='658899' date='Apr 26 2008, 08:49 PM']Hey dipshit, you are not getting paid to evaluate college prospects, so why don't you stop trying to play keyboard GM, and let the professionals do their jobs. Simpson may not have been a 2nd rounder in you Sporting News draft guide, but maybe...just maybe, the Bengals know more than some idiot who writes for a shitty magazine.[/quote]

I know this wasn't intended for me but I felt the need to respond. It is clear that some teams draft much better than other teams. Matt Millen and the Raiders for instance. By your contention we can never question anything that a gm, any gm, ever does because we don't have that job. But you have to admit some GMs make foolish decisions. AKA trading your entire draft for Ricky Williams, or not trading for someones entire draft and drafting Akili Smith. Are such blatant horrible moves not to be questioned?

In terms of hours covering the draft. There are some people who are employed to do so year round. That number has increased with the drafts popularity and the only thing that those people have to do, for a living, 52 weeks a year, is follow the draft. Internally, with the Bengals employ one person to do this and the rest of those people have other jobs outside of scouting to occupy their time. So in actuality someone who works for a publication may actually have much more knowledge of what a players abilities are and are not. Attacking someone for educating themselves on the draft and then forming and sharing their opinion seems a bit silly.

My problem with this draft is that I am making 2 assumptions
1) That Chad Johnson won't come back and ever play with the Bengals and if he does that he will only create problems. The evidence that I have to support this are Chad's own words, TJ's own words, Chad's actions and the opinions of countless analysts. Others don't share this opinion which is OK, but I think misguided. Because I think his presence will either never actually occur or be problematic I think he should have been traded. Knowing what was available for a trade makes it all the more attractive. Surprisingly, Rashard Mendenhall, the RB who fit our RB need the best in the entire draft, would have been available. Instead he went to our rival. Allowing the Bengals to move on and Rashard Mendenhall, I can't imagine a better scenario. Here's a factor back to build your offense around for a player who won't play for you anyway. That is the definition of having your cake and eating it to.
2) I assume Limas Sweed is a better football player and a better fit for the Cincinnati Bengals than Jerome Simpson. The evidence that I have to support this is deep. Every ranking system on every publication printed this season has Limas above Jerome Simpson. Many have Limas amongst the top 2 or 3 best WR's in the draft. I agree with that. Limas is squeeky clean when it comes to character issues and has size that is rare in the NFL. He can compliment the current Bengals unit with that size and be a #1 or 2 with his rare athletic ability down the road. Is described as having excellent work ethic and very driven. What that tells me is that even if Chad is here he won't be persuaded by him. Now on to Jerome Simpson. Simpson is undersized and has not produced all that much even on a lower level of play. He is described as running lazy routes and rounding off breaks. Running tight crisp routes is the most important thing when it comes to playing with a great QB. He is also described as not being a willing blocker. I hope Simpson has a long and healthy career with the Bengals, and he and Limas are certainly 2 different kinds of WR's, however I think that Limas would have been the better pick. Hey, atleast they drafted the right position. He may end up being a great player but I think we could have gotten him a bit later and I think that at that pick Limas was the right pick.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='658983' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:50 PM']I know this wasn't intended for me but I felt the need to respond. It is clear that some teams draft much better than other teams. Matt Millen and the Raiders for instance. By your contention we can never question anything that a gm, any gm, ever does because we don't have that job. But you have to admit some GMs make foolish decisions. AKA trading your entire draft for Ricky Williams, or not trading for someones entire draft and drafting Akili Smith. Are such blatant horrible moves not to be questioned?

In terms of hours covering the draft. There are some people who are employed to do so year round. That number has increased with the drafts popularity and the only thing that those people have to do, for a living, 52 weeks a year, is follow the draft. Internally, with the Bengals employ one person to do this and the rest of those people have other jobs outside of scouting to occupy their time. So in actuality someone who works for a publication may actually have much more knowledge of what a players abilities are and are not. Attacking someone for educating themselves on the draft and then forming and sharing their opinion seems a bit silly.

My problem with this draft is that I am making 2 assumptions
1) That Chad Johnson won't come back and ever play with the Bengals and if he does that he will only create problems. The evidence that I have to support this are Chad's own words, TJ's own words, Chad's actions and the opinions of countless analysts. Others don't share this opinion which is OK, but I think misguided. Because I think his presence will either never actually occur or be problematic I think he should have been traded. Knowing what was available for a trade makes it all the more attractive. Surprisingly, Rashard Mendenhall, the RB who fit our RB need the best in the entire draft, would have been available. Instead he went to our rival. Allowing the Bengals to move on and Rashard Mendenhall, I can't imagine a better scenario. Here's a factor back to build your offense around for a player who won't play for you anyway. That is the definition of having your cake and eating it to.
2) I assume Limas Sweed is a better football player and a better fit for the Cincinnati Bengals than Jerome Simpson. The evidence that I have to support this is deep. Every ranking system on every publication printed this season has Limas above Jerome Simpson. Many have Limas amongst the top 2 or 3 best WR's in the draft. I agree with that. Limas is squeeky clean when it comes to character issues and has size that is rare in the NFL. He can compliment the current Bengals unit with that size and be a #1 or 2 with his rare athletic ability down the road. Is described as having excellent work ethic and very driven. What that tells me is that even if Chad is here he won't be persuaded by him. Now on to Jerome Simpson. Simpson is undersized and has not produced all that much even on a lower level of play. He is described as running lazy routes and rounding off breaks. Running tight crisp routes is the most important thing when it comes to playing with a great QB. He is also described as not being a willing blocker. I hope Simpson has a long and healthy career with the Bengals, and he and Limas are certainly 2 different kinds of WR's, however I think that Limas would have been the better pick. Hey, atleast they drafted the right position.[/quote]

While I too would have taken Sweed over Simpson, it does say something that Sweed was the [b]9th[/b] WR taken.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='658983' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:50 PM']2) I assume Limas Sweed is a better football player and a better fit for the Cincinnati Bengals than Jerome Simpson. The evidence that I have to support this is deep. Every ranking system on every publication printed this season has Limas above Jerome Simpson. Many have Limas amongst the top 2 or 3 best WR's in the draft. I agree with that. Limas is squeeky clean when it comes to character issues and has size that is rare in the NFL. He can compliment the current Bengals unit with that size and be a #1 or 2 with his rare athletic ability down the road. Is described as having excellent work ethic and very driven. What that tells me is that even if Chad is here he won't be persuaded by him. Now on to Jerome Simpson. Simpson is undersized and has not produced all that much even on a lower level of play. He is described as running lazy routes and rounding off breaks. Running tight crisp routes is the most important thing when it comes to playing with a great QB. He is also described as not being a willing blocker. I hope Simpson has a long and healthy career with the Bengals, and he and Limas are certainly 2 different kinds of WR's, however I think that Limas would have been the better pick. Hey, atleast they drafted the right position. He may end up being a great player but I think we could have gotten him a bit later and I think that at that pick Limas was the right pick.[/quote]

How does any of that prove Sweed is a better fit than Simpson?

And like Jason said, there's a reason all 32 teams passed on him at least once, most of them twice.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='658996' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:57 PM']How does any of that prove Sweed is a better fit than Simpson?

And like Jason said, there's a reason all 32 teams passed on him at least once, most of them twice.[/quote]

The Browns past on him? Some teams just didnt need WRs

[quote name='globetrotter' post='659016' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:10 PM']The Browns past on him? Some teams just didnt need WRs[/quote]

ok so 30 teams.

and quit making shit up. Sweed was the 9th WR taken. Not to mention, teams who didn't even take a WR may have taken him had they thought more highly of him.

Would have rather had Limas Sweed but here are some great positives from PFW on Simpson. Excellent Concentration and ball skills. Can catch anything in his vicinity and makes some unbeilavalbe grabs. Plays with intensity and lots of confidence. Catches on contact. Very Competitive. great work ethic.

I am coming around to this player. I wanted a WR in round 2 and was elated to see my top rated WR in Limas Sweed still available. What i wanted out of a WR was someone with great hands and a great route runner. Simpson apparently has absurdly good hands but is not a good route runner. I took him off my list of players I wanted because there was an incident on the field with him and the bad routes. His absurd hands make him a good pick tho. Had I marked him for drafting he would have been my 6th rated WR in this draft behind Sweed, Nelson, Dexter Jackson, Eddie Royal and Earl Bennet. Nelson and Royal are gone. Dexter Jackson is a different kind of WR, small and scatty. Earl Bennet is Mr Fundamental. Beyond Sweed and Nelson I grouped together the last 3 and think that Simpson falls in there. Royal was gone. So if Sweed had went lets say 25th or so I think I would be fine with this pick. Especially if laws was gone also.

But let me say this in closing. This guy is suppossed to have absurd hands. absurd absurd absurd hands. Nothing else is off the charts but you can't teach hands. And thats exactly what i wanted. That and crisp routes. And he has strong work ethic, which can lead to crisp routes.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='659030' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:24 PM']Would have rather had Limas Sweed but here are some great positives from PFW on Simpson. Excellent Concentration and ball skills. Can catch anything in his vicinity and makes some unbeilavalbe grabs. Plays with intensity and lots of confidence. Catches on contact. Very Competitive. great work ethic.

I am coming around to this player. I wanted a WR in round 2 and was elated to see my top rated WR in Limas Sweed still available. What i wanted out of a WR was someone with great hands and a great route runner. Simpson apparently has absurdly good hands but is not a good route runner. I took him off my list of players I wanted because there was an incident on the field with him and the bad routes. His absurd hands make him a good pick tho. Had I marked him for drafting he would have been my 6th rated WR in this draft behind Sweed, Nelson, Dexter Jackson, Eddie Royal and Earl Bennet. Nelson and Royal are gone. Dexter Jackson is a different kind of WR, small and scatty. Earl Bennet is Mr Fundamental. Beyond Sweed and Nelson I grouped together the last 3 and think that Simpson falls in there. Royal was gone. So if Sweed had went lets say 25th or so I think I would be fine with this pick. Especially if laws was gone also.

But let me say this in closing. This guy is suppossed to have absurd hands. absurd absurd absurd hands. Nothing else is off the charts but you can't teach hands. And thats exactly what i wanted. That and crisp routes. And he has strong work ethic, which can lead to crisp routes.[/quote]

nice to see you're looking at it a little more objectively.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='658983' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:50 PM']2) I assume Limas Sweed is a better football player and a better fit for the Cincinnati Bengals than Jerome Simpson. The evidence that I have to support this is deep. Every ranking system on every publication printed this season has Limas above Jerome Simpson. Many have Limas amongst the top 2 or 3 best WR's in the draft. I agree with that. Limas is squeeky clean when it comes to character issues and has size that is rare in the NFL. He can compliment the current Bengals unit with that size and be a #1 or 2 with his rare athletic ability down the road. Is described as having excellent work ethic and very driven. What that tells me is that even if Chad is here he won't be persuaded by him. Now on to Jerome Simpson. Simpson is undersized and has not produced all that much even on a lower level of play. He is described as running lazy routes and rounding off breaks. Running tight crisp routes is the most important thing when it comes to playing with a great QB. He is also described as not being a willing blocker. I hope Simpson has a long and healthy career with the Bengals, and he and Limas are certainly 2 different kinds of WR's, however I think that Limas would have been the better pick. Hey, atleast they drafted the right position. He may end up being a great player but I think we could have gotten him a bit later and I think that at that pick Limas was the right pick.[/quote]

Your opinion is your opinion and that's cool. However:

[i]"Every ranking system on every publication printed this season has Limas above Jerome Simpson. Many have Limas amongst the top 2 or 3 best WR's in the draft."[/i]

By that logic Will Poole, Rien Long, Charles Rogers, and Ryan Leaf should be stars right now. Notice as the process went on, Sweed started dropping and Simpson starting rising. That's because scouts and coaches started dissecting the film, not Chick Ludwig's Sporting News column and various ipeople.

[i]"Now on to Jerome Simpson. Simpson is undersized and has not produced all that much even on a lower level of play. He is described as running lazy routes and rounding off breaks. Running tight crisp routes is the most important thing when it comes to playing with a great QB. He is also described as not being a willing blocker."[/i]

Nearly every word in this post is flat-out wrong. Simpson is nearly 6'2". By contrast both Chad and TJ are both 6' 1". Undersized? Plus, with Simpson's ups, its pretty obvious he's a natural replacement for Henry.

Here is what ESPN said about Sweed:

Sweed is an average route-runner at best and he can struggle when he gets slowed down at the line of scrimmage because he doesn't have great quickness.

I just don't know why you think Sweed is so much better for this team.

That's it. I'm buying his jersey.

Archived