!!! THE OFFICIAL GO-BENGALS.COM 2008 NFL DRAFT THREAD !!!

[quote name='Jason' post='659040' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:31 PM']Here's what I like about Simpson. With his leaping ability hands, and size, he could be a [b]GREAT[/b] red zone receiver.[/quote]

Sorry, not post whoring, but I hate having the last post on a page on a thread that is growing quickly.

[quote name='Jason' post='659045' date='Apr 27 2008, 01:34 PM']Sorry, not post whoring, but I hate having the last post on a page on a thread that is growing quickly.[/quote]
You are post whoring :P

And I hope his hands in games will be better than his combine video. He dropped the first 3-4 passes. :mellow:

The potential appears to be there. And it's obvious he was not picked by mistake. This is the guy they wanted, and they made sure to get him. That says something.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='659042' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:33 PM']yea, not sure where you get that Simpson is undersized. He's taller and heavier than Chad with better speed to boot.[/quote]

When we are talking about Limas Sweed or Simpson. Thats what I mean. Maybe Simpson is just sized. lol. From what i read it seems Chad has better playing speed and this guy has better timed speed but does not play to it. But I agree he is just about average sized that was an overstatement on me. In Limas Sweed I see the big, freak stud WR's Moss-WIlliams-Burress.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='659053' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:42 PM']When we are talking about Limas Sweed or Simpson. Thats what I mean. Maybe Simpson is just sized. lol. From what i read it seems Chad has better playing speed and this guy has better timed speed but does not play to it. But I agree he is just about average sized that was an overstatement on me. In Limas Sweed I see the big, freak stud WR's Moss-WIlliams-Burress.[/quote]

Another thing thats great about this guy...He is not Manningham, Kelly, Thomas, Early Doucet or James Hardy

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='659057' date='Apr 27 2008, 02:00 PM']What time does this thing start tommorow?[/quote]
looks like 10am

[url="http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networkschedule?selectedMonth=April&field=selectedDate&selectedDate=04%2F27%2F2008"]http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networksched...=04%2F27%2F2008[/url]

WTF?? Is this site on steroids or black beauties? Or both?

I get here late and find 1,000 freakin' posts? Am I supposed to read 1,000 phucking posts?
Jesus Jamie, get off the juice, guy.

I'll throw in my 99 cents anyway...

I'm not usually big on messages sent. In fact, it sometimes nauseates me hearing a particularly stupid action defended because it sent a message. In our first day of the draft, I think 2 big messages were sent.

1. The drafting of Rivers tells Odell & Ahmad to either keep up with the young stud or get off my football team.
2. The drafting of Simpson sends a message to princess chad that we are done putting up with his bullshit.
Get on board or sit your dumb-ass out.

I'm pretty happy so far, we'll see what happens next.

[size=4]Fuck you 85! Get straight or throw your career away. The Bengals own your sorry ass.[/size]

[quote name='Oldcat' post='658961' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:35 PM']As to the Steelers going offense offense offense:

I have no fear of the Steelers running scatbacks behind a poor offensive line, letting their defense rot, and tossing the ball
up for grabs in the secondary. This isn't how the Steelers have dominated the divsion over the years, and it isn't the kind of game
they know how to play. Pittsburg beats us when they grind out the game on us, and rest their defense. When the offenses get uncorked, we win.

[b]If they want to imitate us, or the Browns, I'll let them[/b].[/quote]

Well, the difference there is that the Steelers already have a good D.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='659125' date='Apr 27 2008, 07:58 AM']Still no offensive line....[/quote]

Well, not one to brag about, no.

But we are improved at center, which was the biggest problem last season. Faneca wasnt great at Pass Pro, but he will be missed in run blocking. I think it will be better next season than this past one.

Like Tomlin said, there are two theories about pass protection. 1) get a great O-line, or 2) get lots of weapons so the opponent cant blitz.

Rather than reaching for O-line help (an area that had already been pillaged by our first pick), they got two players who by all rights should have been gone by their first pick. I think they got fantastic value from the first two rounds...we'll see if they can match it on the 2nd day.

Please for the love of God draft a DT today. We tried so fucking hard to get one in the off season, and when the draft gets here Mike Brown has his thumb up his ass waiting around for God know what to happen and we still have no fuckin' DT.
GARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

HOLY JESUS IN MEXICO I'M HUNGOVER TODAY

[quote name='bengalsfansince68' post='659087' date='Apr 27 2008, 03:39 AM']WTF?? Is this site on steroids or black beauties? Or both?

I get here late and find 1,000 freakin' posts? Am I supposed to read 1,000 phucking posts?
[color="#FF0000"]Jesus Jamie, get off the juice, guy.[/color]
I'll throw in my 99 cents anyway...

I'm not usually big on messages sent. In fact, it sometimes nauseates me hearing a particularly stupid action defended because it sent a message. In our first day of the draft, I think 2 big messages were sent.

1. The drafting of Rivers tells Odell & Ahmad to either keep up with the young stud or get off my football team.
2. The drafting of Simpson sends a message to princess chad that we are done putting up with his bullshit.
Get on board or sit your dumb-ass out.

I'm pretty happy so far, we'll see what happens next.

[size=4]Fuck you 85! Get straight or throw your career away. The Bengals own your sorry ass.[/size][/quote]

Off the juice?

[quote]===LUDWIG AT LARGE ALERT: 63 players will be drafted today, Saturday, April 26, and 192 players will be drafted on Sunday, April 27. If each team takes its allotted 5 minutes between picks on Sunday, DAY 2 OF THE DRAFT WILL LAST 16 HOURS!!! Thanks, commish, for ruining the draft before it even starts===[/quote]

lol at Chick. 16 hours, 7 hours, what's the difference really?

Corey Lynch (FS)
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 205
College: Appalachian State
Conference: Southern
Hometown: Cape Coral, FL
High School: Evangelical Christian
Featured Prospects

Overview
Analysis

Overview
Overview

Not since the playing days of All-American linebacker Dexter Coakley (1993-96) has a Mountaineer defensive player made the type of impact Lynch did at Appalachian State. A consummate playmaker, he ranks among the all-time leaders in NCAA Division 1-AA/Championship Subdivision history in tackles, blocked kicks, interceptions, interception return yardage and passes defended.

Lynch also ranks among the Southern Conference and school all-time elite in fumbles forced and fumbles recovered. He is the first ASU player to lead the team in interceptions all four seasons and the first Mountaineer to gain over 100 yards on interception returns in three seasons.

The team was dependent on Lynch, having compiled a 45-11 record with their star safety in the lineup, but only a 7-4 mark with him on the sideline. In games in which he recorded an interception, the team was 22-0. In 2007, Lynch became the Mountaineers' first three-time All-American first-team selection since two-time Buchanan Award winner Dexter Coakley (1994-96) and also became the school's first four-time All-Conference performer since Chip Hooks (1991-94).

A National Honor Society recipient at Evangelical Christian High School, Lynch was a standout defensive back and running back. He was twice selected to the All-State Class A and All-Lee County squads and was a three-time All-Area choice by the Fort Meyers News-Press. He was twice named District XVI Player of the Year, adding Lee County Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior.

Lynch rushed for 3,000 yards and registered 31 interceptions over his career. He collected 1,101 yards with 11 touchdowns on 120 carries (9.2-yard average), as he also caught 18 passes for 490 yards and seven scores as a senior. On defense, he registered 93 tackles and 11 interceptions during his final campaign.

Lynch enrolled at Appalachian State in 2003, appearing in 11 games while starting the final 10 at free safety. He was the only freshman named All-Southern Conference that season, when he led the team with six interceptions and four fumble recoveries. He ranked sixth on the team with 57 tackles (30 solo), including one for a loss and forced a pair of fumbles. He deflected four passes and gained 14 yards on a kickoff return.

Lynch was limited to just two games as a sophomore. He suffered a fractured left elbow late in the Eastern Kentucky game returning a punt, and underwent surgery two weeks later. He made 13 tackles (nine solo) with a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and an interception in 2004.

Lynch had a banner 2005 campaign. He ranked third in the league and led the team with six interceptions, including two picks in the Eastern Kentucky game. He garnered first-team All-American honors from I-AA.org and second-team accolades from the Associated Press and The Sports Network.

That season, he was also named to the All-Southern Conference first-team and posted 92 tackles (39 solo) while starting all 15 games. He caused a fumble, had 1 1/2 stops behind the line of scrimmage and batted away seven passes.

In 2006, Lynch was named first-team All-American by College Sporting News and second-team by The Sports Network. The first-team All-Southern Conference choice sat out two late-season games with a right arm (ulna) fracture, but still finished third on the team with 85 tackles (43 solo), including five tackles for losses. He ranked tied for ninth in the nation with a team-high five interceptions and also led the Mountaineers with six pass breakups and three blocked kicks. He also recovered a pair of fumbles, returning one 25 yards for a touchdown.

A 2007 All-American first-team choice and National Defensive Player of the Year finalist by The NFL Draft Report, Lynch added national honors from the Associated Press, Walter Camp and the Sports Network. He was a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award, given to the best defensive player in the NCAA Championship Subdivision ranks, as that honor went to Montana defensive end Kroy Bierman. Biermann received 35 first-place votes and 305 points to edge Lynch by five points in the closest Buchanan Award voting in history. Lynch also received 35 first-place votes out of the 105 ballots cast by a panel of sports information directors and selected media.

The Mountaineers' safety gained national attention by blocking a kick that sealed ASU's upset win over Michigan in the season opener, going on to record 111 tackles (71 solo) in 15 games. He made three stops behind the line of scrimmage, caused two fumbles and recovered another. He again led the team and Southern Conference with six interceptions and also batted away eleven throws. He blocked three kicks, returning a blocked punt 33 yards.

In 56 games at Appalachian State, Lynch started his last 55. He ranks sixth in school history with 358 tackles (192 solo), adding 10 1/2 tackles behind the line of scrimmage for 24 yards in total losses. He is tied for 10th in ASU history with six forced fumbles and tied for third with eight fumble recoveries, scoring twice while gaining a total of 31 yards on three returns.

Lynch deflected 28 passes and ranks second at ASU with a Southern Conference all-time record 24 interceptions. His 395 yards on interception returns set a school record. His 52 total passes defended established an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision all-time record. He gained 40 yards on two punt returns, 14 yards on a kickoff return and ranks second in ASU annals with six blocked kicks.

Career Notes

Since the NCAA began keeping records in this category beginning in 2002, Lynch set an FCS record with 52 passes defended (28 pass deflections, 24 interceptions), breaking the previous mark of 51 by Billy Parker of William & Mary (51; 40 pass breakups, 11 interceptions, 2000-03)...His 52 passes defended also shattered the old Southern Conference record of 41 by Matt Nelson of Wofford (32 pass breakups, nine pass thefts, 2000-03) and the previous school mark of 38 by Jay Lyles (35 pass deflections, three interceptions, 2000-03)...His average of 0.93 passes defended per game rank 11th in NCAA FCS history and second in Southern Conference and school annals, topped only by a 1.03 average from Jay Lyles (2000-03)...Lynch ranks tied with Mike Pierce of McNeese State (1987-90, six punts), Clayton Smith of Dartmouth (2001-04, six field goals) and Joel Sussman of Cornell (2001-04, six extra points) for seventh in the NCAA Championship Subdivision ranks (five field goals, one punt) with a total of six blocked kicks in his career...Only Quincy Bethea (1984-87, eight total blocks, seven punts/one field goal) has blocked more kicks during a career at Appalachian State...In NCAA Championship Subdivision annals, Lynch's 358 career tackles rank 16th...His 358 tackles also rank sixth in school history, topped only by Dexter Coakley (616, 1993-96), Cedric Felton (495, 1982-86), Jeremy Wiggins (393, 2003-06), Joe DiBernardo (383, 1993-96) and Dino Hackett (372, 1982-85)...His 24 career interceptions placed him tied for fifth in NCAA Championship Subdivision history, ranking behind Rashean Mathis of Bethune-Cookman (31, 1999-2002), Dave Murphy of Holy Cross (28, 1986-89), Leigh Bodden of Duquesne (28, 1999-2002) and Cedric Walker of Stephen F. Austin (25, 1990-93)...His 24 pass thefts are one shy of the school all-time record of 25 by Larry Harbin (1961-64), as that duo joined Wayne Byrd (20, 1963-66) as the only Mountaineers to intercept 20 or more passes in a career...His 24 interceptions broke the old Southern Conference career mark of 22, first set by Jim Bolding of East Carolina (1973-76) and matched by Derrick Harris of East Tennessee State (1986-89)...Lynch gained 395 yards on his 24 interception returns, topping the previous school all-time record of 348 yards by Larry Harbin (1961-64)...Only Derrick Harris of East Tennessee State (453 yards, 1986-89) and Jeff Varnadoe of The Citadel (303, 1970-71) gained over 300 yards on interception returns in Southern Conference annals...His interception yardage total of 395 yards rank fourth in NCAA Subdivision history behind Harris, Rashean Mathis of Bethune-Cookman (682 yards, 1999-2002) and Darren Sharper of William & Mary (488, 1993-96)...Lynch's six interceptions in each of the 2003, '05 and '06 seasons rank sixth on the school single-season list, surpassed by Larry Harbin (eight in 1963 and seven in 1964), Matt Stevens (7 in 1994) and Wayne Byrd (seven in 1965 and seven in 1966)... Lynch is the only player in school history to lead the team in interceptions four seasons (2003, '05-07)...Only player in Southern Conference history to gain over 100 yards on interception returns in three seasons (111 in 2005, 101 in 2006, 114 in 2007)...Forced six fumbles during his career, ranking tied for 10th on the school's all-time record list...His eight fumble recoveries tied Anthony Downs (1984-87) and Justin Seaverns (1998-2001) for third on the school list behind Johnny Jennings (10, 1987-90) and Phil Keener (nine, 1969-72)...Blocked three kicks in both the 2006 and '07 campaigns, one short of the school season-record of four blocked kicks by Chuck Hill in 1987...His four pass deflections vs. Delaware in the 2007 NCAA FCS title game set a championship game record and are the most by a Southern Conference player in a game since A.J. Bryant of Georgia Southern batted away five tosses vs. Tennessee-Chattanooga in 2003...Lynch also prevented Delaware receivers from getting to 15 passes in the title game (four deflections, 11 incomplete throws on press coverage), establishing another NCAA championship record.

High School

Attended Evangelical Christian (Fort Meyers, Fla.) High School, playing football for head coach Brian Lynch (father)...Standout defensive back and running back...Twice selected to the All-State Class A and All-Lee County squads and was a three-time All-Area choice by the Fort Meyers News-Press...Twice named District XVI Player of the Year, adding Lee County Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior...Rushed for 3,000 yards and registered 31 interceptions over his career...Collected 1,101 yards with 11 touch-downs on 120 carries (9.2-yard average), as he also caught 18 passes for 490 yards and seven scores as a senior...On defense, he registered 93 tackles and 11 interceptions during his final campaign...National Honor Society member.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='659878' date='Apr 27 2008, 03:26 PM']lol at Chick. 16 hours, 7 hours, what's the difference really?[/quote]

Well, Chick did say "[b][size=3]IF[/size][/b] each team takes its allotted 5 minutes between picks on Sunday, DAY 2 OF THE DRAFT WILL LAST 16 HOURS!!!"

...which is true. 192 picks times 5 minutes is 960 minutes....which equates to exactly 16 hours.

I'm surprised that they did it in less than half that time...

...and equally surprised that I feel compelled to defend the Chickster. :blink:

[quote name='Cricket' post='660566' date='Apr 28 2008, 08:00 AM']Well, Chick did say "[b][size=3]IF[/size][/b] each team takes its allotted 5 minutes between picks on Sunday, DAY 2 OF THE DRAFT WILL LAST 16 HOURS!!!"

...which is true. 192 picks times 5 minutes is 960 minutes....which equates to exactly 16 hours.

I'm surprised that they did it in less than half that time...

...and equally surprised that I feel compelled to defend the Chickster. :blink:[/quote]

ha it wasn't so much that it was an "if", but more the fact that he was bitching about it.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='26 April 2008 - 04:02 PM' timestamp='1209240161' post='658059']
[b]alright, here we fucking go Bengals. don't fuck this one up.

i want Rivers right here, draft best player available not need right now. we can get a DT in the second round. our best DT right now is Domata and he was not even in the first 3 rounds. it could be done folks.[/b]
[/quote]

sorry for digging this up, but good ol memories. funny how many Rivers haters were on here :lol:

Archived