Bengals extend Peko

according to pft, no mention on bengals.com yet.

[quote]BENGALS EXTEND PEKO
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 12, 2008, 3:38 p.m.
Not everything happening on the first day of the Bengals’ mandatory minicamp is related to Chad Johnson.

The Bengals announced today that they have signed defensive tackle Domata Peko to a five-year contract extension through the 2104 season. The rookie deal Peko signed as the Bengals’ fourth-round pick in 2006 was scheduled to expire after the 2009 season. No financial details of the new contract were announced.

Peko started all 16 games at left defensive tackle in 2007, finishing the year with 65 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a fumble recovery. A 319-pound run stuffer, Peko fills a similar role in Cincinnati to the one Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams filled in Baltimore when Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was the Ravens’ defensive coordinator.[/quote]

[quote]Peko extends

The Bengals today signed DT Domata Peko to a five-year contract extension. Peko's original Bengals contract ran through 2009, and he is now signed through the 2014 season.

Peko (6-3, 319; Michigan State) is a third-year NFL player in 2008. He was a fourth-round Bengals choice in the 2006 draft. He started every game last season at LDT, posting 65 tackles, including 1.5 sacks. He also had a fumble recovery. As a rookie in 2006, he played in every game in the defensive line rotation and had 49 tackles.

"Domata is a fine, young player who has fully proved his worth over the last two years and still has a tremendous upside," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. "We are extremely pleased to have him signed to a long-term deal that ensures his[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6838"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6838[/url]

looks like Hobson is still typing this one...

updated article (interestingly the marvin quote is gone):

[quote]Peko extends
June 12, 2008
ShareThis

3:50 p.m.
The Bengals have moved to lock up one their emerging young players with the agent for 23-year-old defensive tackle Domata Peko saying his client has agreed to a deal that not only keeps him in Cincinnati through his ninth NFL season in 2014 but already makes him one of the top 10 paid defensive tackles in the league.

The five-year extension of the original four-year deal Peko signed as a fourth-round draft pick out of Michigan State in 2006, industry sources say, avergas about $5 million, making him the highest paid defensive tackle in Bengals history.

Since '06 the 6-3, 320-pound Peko has become a regular who started 16 games last year at left defensive tackle and finished the season with 65 tackles and 1.5 sacks to go along with a pass defensed and a crucial mid-field fumble recovery in the fourth quarter of a one-point game against the Jets.

Peko, the son of a minister in American Samoa, has also become of the more popular and recognizable Bengals with his flowing hair. He's the poster player for Friday night's Taste of the NFL at Paul Brown Stadium, a fundraiser for Cincinnati's FreeStoreFoodBank at 6:30 p.m. in the East Club Lounge.

Peko, along with Michelle Brown, chef at Jag's Steak and Seafood in West Chester Township, are the hosts for an event attended by more than 30 restaurants.

Peko, who doesn't turn 24 until November, now gets a deal industry sources figure to total about $30 million.

With the selection of defensive tackles in the third round (Auburn's Pat Sims) and fifth round (Fresno's Jason Shirley) and starting right tackle John Thornton's six-year deal up after this season, the Bengals look to be moving to a younger defensive front.

In a free-agent move back in March the Bengals signed 26-year-old right end Antwan Odom to a five-year deal. Meanwhile, left end Robert Geathers, 24, signed an extension before the '07 season.[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='672507' date='Jun 12 2008, 02:47 PM'][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6838"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6838[/url]

looks like Hobson is still typing this one...

updated article (interestingly the marvin quote is gone):[/quote]

That god damn cheap mike brown does not care about winning and does not create a franchise which attracts players sign long term deals. How cheap is he :rolleyes:

[quote name='jza10304' post='672522' date='Jun 12 2008, 03:14 PM']5 mil a year? I think is a little too much for someone who played average on a bad defense. Save that $$$ for TJ or Stacy, Whitworth.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I've never been head over heels about this guy. Couldn't they have waited to see his performance this year with Odom before they threw all this money at him? Top 10 in the league? C'mon...I'm torn on this move. Let's hope this pans out.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='672514' date='Jun 12 2008, 04:03 PM']Sweet... looks like whenever Go buys someone's jersey they give them 5 year deal.[/quote]

ha, i always wanted a stacy andrews jersey... but bobbie williams or sims are likely more realistic...

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='672515' date='Jun 12 2008, 04:05 PM']then he should by an Andrews jersey.[/quote]

indeed

[quote name='jza10304' post='672522' date='Jun 12 2008, 04:14 PM']5 mil a year? I think is a little too much for someone who played average on a bad defense. Save that $$$ for TJ or Stacy, Whitworth.[/quote]

[quote name='Dautcom08' post='672525' date='Jun 12 2008, 04:21 PM']I couldn't agree more. I've never been head over heels about this guy. Couldn't they have waited to see his performance this year with Odom before they threw all this money at him? Top 10 in the league? C'mon...I'm torn on this move. Let's hope this pans out.[/quote]

5 mil is nothing. its not 1995. and in 2 years 5 mil is pocket change. rookie QB's who havent even played yet make twice that. the cap is nearly 120 mil, you could pay 24 people 5 mil a year at that rate. and vet minimum is like 1.2-2 mil at the 5 year mark... the kids good. he isnt great, but frankly what has been behind him? odom wont affect his play nearly as much as rivers and brooks will. worrying about whos shooting the gap between he and odom is going to free him and get him consistent 1 on 1's. im not sure what games you guys watched to think he played average. he played great for the shit squad surrounding him.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='672530' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:33 PM']... the kids good. he isnt great, but frankly what has been behind him? odom wont affect his play nearly as much as rivers and brooks will. worrying about whos shooting the gap between he and odom is going to free him and get him consistent 1 on 1's. im not sure what games you guys watched to think he played average. he played great for the shit squad surrounding him.[/quote]

And he's young. DLs get better and stronger with age - well into the 30s. In 2 or 3 years he may well be great, if he's good now.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='672530' date='Jun 12 2008, 03:33 PM']ha, i always wanted a stacy andrews jersey... but bobbie williams or sims are likely more realistic...

indeed

5 mil is nothing. its not 1995. and in 2 years 5 mil is pocket change. rookie QB's who havent even played yet make twice that. the cap is nearly 120 mil, you could pay 24 people 5 mil a year at that rate. and vet minimum is like 1.2-2 mil at the 5 year mark... the kids good. he isnt great, but frankly what has been behind him? odom wont affect his play nearly as much as rivers and brooks will. worrying about whos shooting the gap between he and odom is going to free him and get him consistent 1 on 1's. im not sure what games you guys watched to think he played average. he played great for the shit squad surrounding him.[/quote]

My thoughts as well

I like Peko too. One of my favorite Bengals. Seems like a really nice guy too.

But he has yet to be anything beyond "serviceable" on the field. That being said, he is young, hasn't had a lot of talent around him, still has a big upside, should get better with age, and we got him for relatively cheap.

I call this a good signing.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='672565' date='Jun 12 2008, 05:44 PM']x2.

Now just get TJ done, dammit :contract:[/quote]

Amen brother. It seems like the team is skirting that issue right now. It's got to be over the money.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='672572' date='Jun 12 2008, 05:59 PM']Peko? Extensions?
I thought that was his [i]real[/i] hair!
:unsure:[/quote]

:lol:

Archived