"Football Night in America"

[quote][b][size=4]Patrick joins NBC, reunites with Olbermann[/size][/b]
Two former SportsCenter icons will co-host Football Night in America :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Rich Arden / AP

Dan Patrick has been named a co-host of NBC's "Football Night in America" studio show, reuniting him with Keith Olbermann. The two redefined sports highlights during their time together on ESPN’s SportsCenter from 1992-97.

Patrick, who will handle highlight duties with Olbermann, joins host Bob Costas and co-hosts Cris Collinsworth and Olbermann, along with analysts Jerome Bettis and Tiki Barber and reporter Peter King.

"We are proud to reunite one of the greatest teams in the history of sports broadcasting. Dan and Keith were more than successful together, they defined the way that sports highlights are now delivered. Their unique delivery has been sorely missed and now they’ll be able to take their act to a primetime network television audience each Sunday night in the fall,” said Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Universal Sports & Olympics.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

Olbermann said: “I’m delighted to be reunited with my tag team partner. I can’t stop Dan Patrick from working with me again, I can only hope to contain him.”

Olbermann and Patrick, while anchoring SportsCenter, became renowned for their inimitable style of coupling pop culture and sports – now a hallmark of the modern television sports reporter. While at ESPN, Olbermann and Patrick also wrote the critically acclaimed book “The Big Show” about their experiences working on SportsCenter. Costas wrote the foreword to the best-selling book.

“I think it’s a great idea because it reunites one of the great combinations ever in TV sports,” said Costas. “I’ve been in favor of the idea ever since NBC Sports reacquired the NFL but we haven’t been able to work it out until now."

Patrick is currently a columnist at Sports Illustrated and contributes to SI.com. In October of 2007, Patrick began hosting a new version of The Dan Patrick Show, which airs on XM radio.[/quote]

[url="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25572620/25572620"]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25572620/25572620[/url]

Too bad I won't get to see it <_<

[quote name='fredtoast' post='677601' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:26 AM']I am surprised Olberman is returning to a sports show. He has become quite a serious political commentator.[/quote]
Olbermann was part of their NFL coverage last season, too.

I'm sure he'll continue the political stuff (unless they team him and Patrick together for a whole lot more than a couple hours a week)

[quote name='Harley' post='677608' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:50 AM']I'm growing way tired of Keith on MSNBC. It's the same old, same old every night with his worst person and personal commentary, etc. Lest anyone is confused, it's entertainment, not news.[/quote]

Every network news show is geared toward entertainment instead of news. That's the main reason that most U.S. citizens are clueless on the major issues.

I don't see the advantage of having Olbermann on an NFL show. His MSNBC show doesn't get very good ratings. He certainly has fans on one side of the political aisle but is disliked on the other side. Usually networks and advertisers try to avoid polarizing figures. Limbaugh didn't last long at ESPN, and the long careers of various bland sportscasters testify to the wisdom of putting attention on the game and not the announcers.

[quote name='sparky151' post='677620' date='Jul 9 2008, 03:53 AM']I don't see the advantage of having Olbermann on an NFL show. His MSNBC show doesn't get very good ratings. He certainly has fans on one side of the political aisle but is disliked on the other side. Usually networks and advertisers try to avoid polarizing figures. Limbaugh didn't last long at ESPN, and the long careers of various bland sportscasters testify to the wisdom of putting attention on the game and not the announcers.[/quote]
I'm guessing you're pretty young, so you don't know this (or you're older and didn't have cable at the time :shrug: )

Olbermann was a host of SportsCenter with Dan Patrick for years... and they were BY FAR the best duo in the history of that network. They are far from bland sportscasters separately. Together, they are pretty special, imo. And unlike the assclowns that ESPN has trotted out since Keith left and the duo split up, these two actually put the attention on the game - but they did it in a way that was entertaining because of their delivery and personalities. Not bs computer graphics and a bunch of stupid "budweiser hot seat" type spots.

Who knows how the NBC gig will turn out? But if they can recapture any sort of the chemistry they had at ESPN, this is a win for sports fans, imo.

[quote name='sparky151' post='677620' date='Jul 8 2008, 01:53 PM']I don't see the advantage of having Olbermann on an NFL show. His MSNBC show doesn't get very good ratings. He certainly has fans on one side of the political aisle but is disliked on the other side. Usually networks and advertisers try to avoid polarizing figures. Limbaugh didn't last long at ESPN, and the long careers of various bland sportscasters testify to the wisdom of putting attention on the game and not the announcers.[/quote]
as of recently olbermann has been pulling into the lead in the 18-55 (or whatever it is) male media bracket, which is the key nfl demographic. so as long as he make a concentrated effort to leave his politics to the cable networks im sure this will be great and possibly reinvigorate sports reporting on traditional over the air television.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='677671' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:01 PM']as of recently olbermann has been pulling into the lead in the 18-55 (or whatever it is) male media bracket, which is the key nfl demographic. so as long as he make a concentrated effort to leave his politics to the cable networks im sure this will be great and possibly reinvigorate sports reporting on traditional over the air television.[/quote]

I wonder if it would help, or hurt ratings if he sucked a donkey dick on tv during the halftime show.

:hmm:

[quote name='fredtoast' post='677612' date='Jul 8 2008, 12:09 PM']Every network news show is geared toward entertainment instead of news. That's the main reason that most U.S. citizens are clueless on the major issues.[/quote]

no truer words were ever spoken.....

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='677671' date='Jul 8 2008, 04:01 PM']as of recently olbermann has been pulling into the lead in the 18-55 (or whatever it is) male media bracket, which is the key nfl demographic. so as long as he make a concentrated effort to leave his politics to the cable networks im sure this will be great and possibly reinvigorate sports reporting on traditional over the air television.[/quote]

This seems lose/lose to me. If he brings an audience of politically engaged types who weren't watching previously, say professors of comparative literature, they won't stay unless he gives them political redmeat. That would surely annoy more people who were already watching than it would add from the previously non viewing population. Most people watch football games for the game, not to listen to the political views of the broadcasters.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='677622' date='Jul 8 2008, 01:06 PM']I'm guessing you're pretty young, so you don't know this (or you're older and didn't have cable at the time :shrug: )

Olbermann was a host of SportsCenter with Dan Patrick for years... and they were BY FAR the best duo in the history of that network. They are far from bland sportscasters separately. Together, they are pretty special, imo. And unlike the assclowns that ESPN has trotted out since Keith left and the duo split up, these two actually put the attention on the game - but they did it in a way that was entertaining because of their delivery and personalities. Not bs computer graphics and a bunch of stupid "budweiser hot seat" type spots.

Who knows how the NBC gig will turn out? But if they can recapture any sort of the chemistry they had at ESPN, this is a win for sports fans, imo.[/quote]

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I don't care for the sportscast as jokefest. I'd rather see the highlights than the bloopers. There's nothing wrong with being funny, but eventually the show became a collection of Berman nicknames, bloopers, catchphrases, etc. Give me the straightforward, sometimes critical, broadcasts of Marty and Joe, or Trumpy anyday.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='677673' date='Jul 8 2008, 04:12 PM']I wonder if it would help, or hurt ratings if he sucked a donkey dick on tv during the halftime show.

:hmm:[/quote]

It would help in the Pittsburgh viewing area.

[quote name='sparky151' post='677702' date='Jul 9 2008, 09:37 AM']Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I don't care for the sportscast as jokefest. I'd rather see the highlights than the bloopers. There's nothing wrong with being funny, but eventually the show became a collection of Berman nicknames, bloopers, catchphrases, etc. Give me the straightforward, sometimes critical, broadcasts of Marty and Joe, or Trumpy anyday.[/quote]
i'd be willing to bet you like some catchphrases... like "this one belongs to.. " ;)

I *detest* just about every duo since these two that have followed them on ESPN. Well, that and just about everything else about ESPN since about the time that they split. Dan/Keith were not forced. They were not over the top. It wasn't just silly catchphrases. It wasn't schtick. The two of them had good chemistry, and a yes, bit of fun while they brought the news. Or at least that's my take. They were not clowns.

Now there surely were some catchphrases. For example, Dan Patrick's over the top "call" for a HR highlight. In a normal, simple tone... "gone". The batter's swing told the story. He was the anti Kenny Mayne.

I don't know why I'm being so vocal about any of this... since I won't even be able to watch, anyway <_<

[b]Hell yeah ! :dance:

Dynamic Duo returns.

As for Olbermann [i](even though I agree with his politics and wouldn't care)[/i] he remains apolitical while doing sports highlights.

Olbermann's intellect, vernacular, lexicon, and sports knowledge is top notch ! And until he states that Tom Brady is only popular [i]"because he's white"[/i] ... he'll be a permanent fixture. [/b]

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='677734' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:15 PM']How badly did NBC need to make this move? Most comments are about Keith, who was with the show last year, and no one seems to realize that. [b]They must have been pulling in some kinda ratings[/b] ^_^[/quote]
That's what happens when America is forced to watch Bettis & Peter King.

[quote]The news is that UD grad Dan Patrick is joining the lineup B)[/quote]

GO FLYERS!! :dance: :dance:

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='677599' date='Jul 8 2008, 10:20 AM'][url="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25572620/25572620"]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25572620/25572620[/url]

Too bad I won't get to see it <_<[/quote]

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8331492?MSNHPHMA"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8331492?MSNHPHMA[/url]

Looks like this fat fucker disagrees with you so much that he had to write about it.
B)

[quote name='Harmening' post='678111' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:05 AM'][url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8331492?MSNHPHMA"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8331492?MSNHPHMA[/url]

Looks like this fat fucker disagrees with you so much that he had to write about it.
B)[/quote]
[quote]by Jason Whitlock[/quote]

:rofl:

Keith Olbermann is a buffoon and a jackass.

I guess he is tired of continually getting his ass handed to him in the ratings by the folks at Fox News. It's amazing the wackos over at MSNBC are still in business with their extremist anti-American left-wing politics. They have been rejected by America, which is why they have embarrassing, microscopic ratings.

Archived