The Resurgence of the Russian Bear

Actium

So I imagine you all are aware of the Ruskies invading the Georgian breakaway region of South Ossetia. Reprots are now that they are going deeper into the country.

The issues seem to be, as my limited understanding allows, a) control of the oil pipeline that takes Caucasian oil to Europe, and B) reassertion of Russian dominance in the area, potentially a re-establishment of Imperial banner.

The world has its attention in Beijing; meanwhile, Russia is flexings its muscles.

Georgian troops are leaving Iraq to go fight off the erstwhile Reds, and are being transported by US forces. I wonder if escalation among more states could occur.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='686101' date='Aug 10 2008, 07:48 PM']It's a long-standing territorial dispute that may or may not have anything to do with the pipeline. I'm sure the pipeline makes the land more valuable, but reports also have the Russians bombing the pipeline (but missing). Why would they bomb it if that's what they're really after?[/quote]

Perhaps they want to destory it to a) eliminate a rival to their own control of oil distrubution; and B) reverse the downward trend in the price of oil.

It's true the dispute has been in the works for a long time, but oil and more specifically Russia's wish to control all of Europe's access to energy is also at the heart of the policy

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='686104' date='Aug 10 2008, 08:01 PM']I haven't been ignoring it, I just don't know enough about it to comment. I figure it can't be good though. :shrug:[/quote]

Not knowing something has never stopped me from commenting on something.

For further proof, please review my posting history.

:D

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='686107' date='Aug 10 2008, 08:14 PM']Somehow this must be George Bush's fault.[/quote]

Well, hopefully now he's doing something more than visiting with the beach volleyball babes. Not exactly sure what we can do other than support the Georgians' own effort, aside from logitics and maybe some supplies. There's no way the USA could handle a direct tango with Russia.

[quote name='Actium' post='686109' date='Aug 10 2008, 08:19 PM']Well, hopefully now he's doing something more than visiting with the beach volleyball babes. Not exactly sure what we can do other than support the Georgians' own effort, aside from logitics and maybe some supplies. There's no way the USA could handle a direct tango with Russia.[/quote]
Oh, we'd handle it alright... if by handle you mean Mutually Assured Destruction.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='686110' date='Aug 10 2008, 09:29 PM']If the stupid Russians would just inflate their tires they wouldn't need the pipeline.[/quote]
:lol:
I almost fell out of my chair!

I just went and did some quick reading up on this ... interesting indeed!

Looks more like Georgia is in the wrong and is trying to flex some muscle. Why? They are tiny and whimpy, when compared to Russia.

South Ossetia's population wants to be part of Russia; they claim to not be part of Georgia. Georgia's current president won after the Rose Revolution, which resulted from some rigged elections. Georgia's president, Mikheil Saakashvili, did quite a bit of studying over here in the good ol' USA. Bush, our current president is the only standing president to visit Georgia, which almost resulted in an assassination. Georgia has been seeking admission into NATO and eventually wants to become part of the EU. Saakashvili is calling the USA out on this, saying that we should help ...

[quote]But President Saakashvili said it was a long-planned 'declaration of war'.

He said the conflict 'is not about Georgia anymore. It's about America, its values.

'I thought that America stands up for those freedom-loving nations and supports them. That's what America is all about. That's why we look with hope at every American.'[/quote]
[url="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23529182-details/Georgia+declares+15-day+%27state+of+war%27,+as+1,500+civilians+left+dead+by+Russia+conflict/article.do"]SOURCE[/url]

I don't know what all of this means, but it sure is intersting.

[quote name='steggyD' post='686123' date='Aug 10 2008, 09:06 PM']:lol:
I almost fell out of my chair!

I just went and did some quick reading up on this ... interesting indeed!

Looks more like Georgia is in the wrong and is trying to flex some muscle. Why? They are tiny and whimpy, when compared to Russia.

South Ossetia's population wants to be part of Russia; they claim to not be part of Georgia. Georgia's current president won after the Rose Revolution, which resulted from some rigged elections. Georgia's president, Mikheil Saakashvili, did quite a bit of studying over here in the good ol' USA. Bush, our current president is the only standing president to visit Georgia, which almost resulted in an assassination. Georgia has been seeking admission into NATO and eventually wants to become part of the EU. Saakashvili is calling the USA out on this, saying that we should help ...

[url="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23529182-details/Georgia+declares+15-day+%27state+of+war%27,+as+1,500+civilians+left+dead+by+Russia+conflict/article.do"]SOURCE[/url]

I don't know what all of this means, but it sure is intersting.[/quote]

Basically, as far as I can tell, the Georgians stupidly provided the Ruskies a perfect excuse to march in and annex them.

[b]1. Georgia's president is a Bush lackey.

2. I'm sure Russia is jealous of all the attention being on China.

3. It's no surprise that Russia doesn't want a Nato member, U.S. Puppet right on their door step near an oil rich region.

4. There's nothing richer than watching the Georgian President who is assisting the occupation of Iraq, complain about Russia's occupation of Georgia. I take that back ... Bush lecturing Russia on occupying Georgia is even better ! The U.S. has no shame.[/b]

[quote name='Calvin' post='686239' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:23 AM']Sounds like Megadeth...[/quote]

I'm sure the Georgians are sweating bullets

:D

[quote name='sois' post='686234' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:03 AM']What is wrong with countries attacking other countries? This has happened since the beginning of time. May the strongest country win.[/quote]

Philosophically, I agree with you, but bear in mind this has implications the world over, so those must be considered.

[quote name='sois' post='686234' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:03 AM']What is wrong with countries attacking other countries? This has happened since the beginning of time. May the strongest country win.[/quote]

Hey we did it to your people to create this country so...

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='686294' date='Aug 11 2008, 12:25 PM']I think after Iraq we've lost our ability to tell other countries to stop an invasion.[/quote]

What's even more interesting is that Georgia was part of the Coalition, and now are saying "we helped you, now help us." But there's no help a-coming.

So there is also going to be the loss of prestige associated with abandoning an ally in a time of need.

Presidents of Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Ukraine are planning to fly to Tbilisi to show support.

Or be shot down, and turn the campfire into a conflagration.

[url="http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStory.aspx?cpath=20080811%5cACQDJON200808111434DOWJONESDJONLINE000422.htm&&mypage=newsheadlines&title=Poland:%20Presidents%20Of%205%20Ex-Communist%20Countries%20Head%20To%20Georgia"]http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStor...%20To%20Georgia[/url]

[quote name='Actium' post='686295' date='Aug 11 2008, 06:28 PM']What's even more interesting is that Georgia was part of the Coalition, and now are saying "we helped you, now help us." But there's no help a-coming.

So there is also going to be the loss of prestige associated with abandoning an ally in a time of need.[/quote]

It'll be the Falkland Islands - Monroe Doctrine all over again

Archived