A baker’s dozen (lean, mean 13) predictions & observations on the Cincinnati Bengals

[quote][size=5][b]A baker’s dozen (lean, mean 13) predictions & observations on the Cincinnati Bengals[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Thursday, September 18, 2008, 08:08 AM

[b]MASSIVE CHANGES

COMIN’ TO THE

BENGALS ROSTER[/b]

===LUDWIG AT LARGE is curious: Why did the Bengals draft WR Jerome Simpson when other WRs such as DeSean Jackson (Eagles) and Dexter Jackson (Bucs) had kick-return ability? Why did they let RT Willie Anderson go when they practiced with the “Jurassic Line” so much in the preseason? Why did they re-sign WR Chris Henry knowing it would impede the progress of Andre Caldwell and Simpson? Why? Why? Why?===

WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who is in his contract year, will not be back with the Bengals next season. He’s a candidate for the franchise tag. My prediction is the club will let him “walk” in free agency.

WR Chad Ocho Cinco will not be back with the Bengals next season. He’ll be traded in the offseason. Something is definitely “up.” He’s being too nice, too kind, too mellow, too much of a perfect prince.

RT Stacy Andrews will not be back with the Bengals next season. He’s too expensive as a franchise player (he’s making $7.455 million this season) and, just like Justin Smith, he’ll bolt in free agency. The club tried for several years to sign him long term, and failed. What makes anybody think he’ll sign for the long haul now, with the season going down the tubes?

TE Ben Utecht is starting to remind me of Tony McGee. Heart of gold. Hands of stone.

SS Dexter Jackson, who is signed through 2009, will not be back next year. He’s lost a step and is injury-prone.

DT John Thornton will not be re-signed. He enters the final season of a six-year deal he signed when Marvin Lewis came on board as the head coach in 2003. He’ll leave in free agency.

C Eric Ghiaciuc will not be back in 2009. Four years is enough. He’ll be allowed to leave in free agency.

PK Shayne Graham will be re-signed. And if he’s not, he’ll be a Jacksonville Jaguar.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick will be a starter in the NFL in 2009, just not with the Bengals. He’ll leave via free agency. He’s too good to be a backup.

Top two draft priorities in 2009 — offensive tackle and defensive tackle.

The Bengals will get blown out on Sunday at the New York Giants. Cincinnati is a whopping 13-and-a-half-point underdog. Take the Giants. Give the points. Cash in. Take your wife or girl friend to dinner on “The Chickster.”

The Bengals will be 2-7 at their bye week (Nov. 9) with victories over Cleveland and Houston.

The next head coach of the Bengals — I won’t dare guess when because Lewis’ contract runs through 2010 — will have an offensive background.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/09/18/a_bakers_dozen_predictions_obs.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...ctions_obs.html[/url]

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='702340' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:50 AM']How did signing Chris Henry impede the development of Caldwell and Simpson? That statement is borderline retarded.[/quote]

It will reduce the number of practice reps they get.

But, if Henry earns it, that may not be a bad thing.

[quote name='Jason' post='702345' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:13 AM']It will reduce the number of practice reps they get.[/quote]

So in that line of thought, signing any player to any position hinders the developement of the other players at that position somehow?

Henry didn't get signed until right before the 3rd preseason game, he didn't practice until the next week (seem to remember Caldwell getting hurt before this, which I would think hurt his development more). He's wasn't allowed to practice after the 4th week of preseason because of his suspension...I don't follow.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='702324' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:47 AM'][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/09/18/a_bakers_dozen_predictions_obs.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...ctions_obs.html[/url][/quote]

:blink: ..."perfect prince" ... :gayfight2:

[quote name='Jason' post='702329' date='Sep 18 2008, 09:10 AM']I think Chad will be back. Other than that, I can't really argue with the others. Although I hope Ben makes more catches.[/quote]

Chad said he's going to raise hell again this off season if its a repeat of the last one.

[quote name='Jeb' post='702360' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:06 AM']Chad said he's going to raise hell again this off season if its a repeat of the last one.[/quote]

I have no doubt in my mind that CJ will go crazy if were in the bottom of the barrel of the league like we are now after week 16.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='702362' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:08 AM']I have no doubt in my mind that CJ will go crazy if were in the bottom of the barrel of the league like we are now after week 16.[/quote]

If this season keeps going the same way, ...Chad's likely to blow up on us before the end of this season. He won't even wait for the off season.

[quote name='Jeb' post='702364' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:14 AM']If this season keeps going the same way, ...Chad's likely to blow up on us before the end of this season. He won't even wait for the off season.[/quote]

I wouldn't blame him. If this team allows this piss poor performance to continue, that is the ONLY way that changes will be made. Chad will have to blow up, get the major media involved, the talking heads will agree with him, and Mike Brown will have NO CHOICE but to make changes. That is one reason it took so long before. It was just local people were bitching. Now they will have one of the most popular players in the NFL on every media outlet complaining how BAD this team is and wants out. When he did it last year, there was still hope and promise of this season (healthy line, healthy LB crew, new DC) that the Bengals used to defend their stance. If this season continues on the path it is heading, there will be NO EXCUSES for the team.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='702348' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:24 AM']Chick says that both Chad and TJ will be gone next year, but still wonders why we resigned Henry.

Also I think Chad [b]and Ghiaciuc will both be back next year[/b].[/quote]

Don't say that shit Fred ! It's not funny !

[quote name='oldschooler' post='702324' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:47 AM'][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/09/18/a_bakers_dozen_predictions_obs.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...ctions_obs.html[/url][/quote]

Shayne will not be resigned during the season. No negotiations during the season. Window for that has passed.

And why would he assume Jacksonville?? Just because they wanted him 5 years ago? There are at least two other teams who might go for it.

And for Shayne's sake and mine, I hope he stays right here. This team has grown on me (although right now, the coaching staff is more like a fungus). And Shayne has quite the setup with charities, etc, and finally has a settled home. I'd like to see him continue.

With this season not looking too promising, I think lots of players who have options will leave. Unless the team really overpays at the end of the year, no one will want to sign before March 1. The team might have to overpay Chad just to have some continuity if Marvin returns for 2009. If there is a coaching change, that would provide the opportunity to move Chad.

Archived