PRESIDENT OBAMA !!!

BlackJesus

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='721693' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:50 PM']Also CT, it cant be both because then you violate the 1st Admenment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, [color="#FF0000"]or prohibiting the free exercise thereof[/color]; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[/quote]

I don't see how not legislating according to a religion prevents its free exercise.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='721532' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:28 AM']??? Patriot Act? Stupid unnecessary war? Economic blowout? Maybe Dem enabled, but definitely Repub inspired.

I do tend to agree with you regarding energy policy. More nukes. Less kooks.[/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='721591' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:13 PM']and it was doing so well....[/quote]
Now come on guys. Just because I don't like the policies of Dems does not mean that I agree with the current majority of Republicans. Patriot Act? I am completely against it. Wars? I think we should bring troops home from every nation, not just Iraq. Economic blowout? Everyone played a part of that. It's been leading to this for decades. Hell, when Clinton was in office, at the very end of his term, how many factories up and left the Lexington area, Homer? Were you there at that time? I was. I knew many many people who lost their jobs. This blowout has been coming for a long time. And which party played a majority in the bailout, which will take all our money to help bankers get their million dollar year end bonuses?

Energy? Believe it or not, I have a completely different idea on energy. Coming from me, you might find it to be surprising, since I'm a libertarian leaning Republican.

Here's the problem. Dems are going to try and push energy companies to go green. What is their plan? To tax the hell out of them until they go bankrupt. Obama has been on record saying this about coal plants. When you force companies to do this, they will only eliminate their workers, especially the miners, as they won't be needed anymore. The average income of coal plants and miners is about $60 grand, is what I believe I read somewhere. That's a lot of good incomes lost. The other problem is that companies tend to pass their tax burdens onto the consumer. We're fucked.

Here's my problem. We cannot survive without power. We are forced to live in these cities and we can no longer cut trees down to heat our houses. Of course, some can, but the majority of humans, no. They makes us dependent on this power, yet charge us an arm and a leg for it.

Solution. Nationalize it. Take the average salary and keep everybody on board. Free power for every household up to a certain point. Find an average energy use per household. By average, I mean with enough power for lights, cooking, etc. Not to leave your computer on 24/7, but enough time to do what you need. Once you go over that amount, then you begin to pay a premium. Corporations will pay for power because they will use more, like factories and such. The executives of power companies will not be paid a ton of cash, they must take the average salary or move on. I think with the premiums and the income from corporations, and the lack of executives, we can pay for the power. Also, we can use this time to move to cleaner, more efficient sources of power.

Thoughts? Or should this post get its own thread?

[quote name='steggyD' post='721761' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:31 AM']Now come on guys. Just because I don't like the policies of Dems does not mean that I agree with the current majority of Republicans. Patriot Act? I am completely against it. Wars? I think we should bring troops home from every nation, not just Iraq. Economic blowout? Everyone played a part of that. It's been leading to this for decades. Hell, when Clinton was in office, at the very end of his term, how many factories up and left the Lexington area, Homer? Were you there at that time? I was. I knew many many people who lost their jobs. This blowout has been coming for a long time. And which party played a majority in the bailout, which will take all our money to help bankers get their million dollar year end bonuses?

Energy? Believe it or not, I have a completely different idea on energy. Coming from me, you might find it to be surprising, since I'm a libertarian leaning Republican.

Here's the problem. Dems are going to try and push energy companies to go green. What is their plan? To tax the hell out of them until they go bankrupt. Obama has been on record saying this about coal plants. When you force companies to do this, they will only eliminate their workers, especially the miners, as they won't be needed anymore. The average income of coal plants and miners is about $60 grand, is what I believe I read somewhere. That's a lot of good incomes lost. The other problem is that companies tend to pass their tax burdens onto the consumer. We're fucked.

Here's my problem. We cannot survive without power. We are forced to live in these cities and we can no longer cut trees down to heat our houses. Of course, some can, but the majority of humans, no. They makes us dependent on this power, yet charge us an arm and a leg for it.

Solution. Nationalize it. Take the average salary and keep everybody on board. Free power for every household up to a certain point. Find an average energy use per household. By average, I mean with enough power for lights, cooking, etc. Not to leave your computer on 24/7, but enough time to do what you need. Once you go over that amount, then you begin to pay a premium. Corporations will pay for power because they will use more, like factories and such. The executives of power companies will not be paid a ton of cash, they must take the average salary or move on. I think with the premiums and the income from corporations, and the lack of executives, we can pay for the power. Also, we can use this time to move to cleaner, more efficient sources of power.

Thoughts? [b]Or should this post get its own thread?[/b][/quote]
Personally, I'd like you to start a new thread. Lots of new ideas here, at least for me. I'd like to see where the discussion goes...

[quote name='steggyD' post='721761' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:31 PM']Now come on guys. Just because I don't like the policies of Dems does not mean that I agree with the current majority of Republicans. Patriot Act? I am completely against it. Wars? I think we should bring troops home from every nation, not just Iraq. Economic blowout? Everyone played a part of that. It's been leading to this for decades. Hell, when Clinton was in office, at the very end of his term, how many factories up and left the Lexington area, Homer? Were you there at that time? I was. I knew many many people who lost their jobs. This blowout has been coming for a long time. And which party played a majority in the bailout, which will take all our money to help bankers get their million dollar year end bonuses?

Thoughts? Or should this post get its own thread?[/quote]
I pretty much thought you thought that way, steggy. It's just that your post reminded me of what folks were saying the day after Reagan got elected. Lots of Dems were full of angst that day, let me tell you. Real "end of the world" stuff. Me. Though I voted for Carter, I kinda liked the guy, except for his "voodoo" economics.

Like the idea of an energy thread. My wish for Christmas? Pebble beds for everyone!

[quote name='Missing Link' post='722165' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:22 PM'][b]A new day and a new era is upon us ..

Funny how Obama doesn't take office for another 70+ days, yet I already feel a sense of calm over me as if I just stepped outside after a summer rain shower and you smell nothing but clean crisp air.

The stench of the past 8 years will soon be gone. [/b][/quote]

Wish the stock market felt as "fresh" with our new president-elect as you do... especially when the folks in the markets are projecting 9 months (or so) into the future...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='722281' date='Nov 7 2008, 11:09 AM']Wish the stock market felt as "fresh" with our new president-elect as you do... especially when the folks in the markets are projecting 9 months (or so) into the future...[/quote]

[b]If you honesty think the market is reacting to the nomination of Obama, you need to turn off Fox News and get out of the house more. The market will be reacting to the 8 year Bush/Cheney fuck-up well into 2009 ..... possibly longer. [/b]

[quote name='Missing Link' post='722421' date='Nov 7 2008, 10:15 PM'][b]If you honesty think the market is reacting to the nomination of Obama, you need to turn off Fox News and get out of the house more. The market will be reacting to the 8 year Bush/Cheney fuck-up well into 2009 ..... possibly longer. [/b][/quote]

All I said was that traders are trading based on about a 9 months into the future plan (that is a widely known fact)... my only comment being that those thinking getting Obama into office was the cure all need to open their eyes... we're in a cycle that is going to take a long time to get out of... and, I think we've tread over the causes of this cycle ad nauseum... Bush / Cheney aren't the only guilty parties - there is plenty of blame to go around.

The fact that he tapped Michigan's governor to help with his economic plan isn't a good sign... even when we were in a boom timeframe she was running that state's economy into the ground.

oh, and don't watch Fox News...

[quote name='Missing Link' post='722421' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:15 PM'][b]If you honesty think the market is reacting to the nomination of Obama, you need to turn off Fox News and get out of the house more. The market will be reacting to the 8 year Bush/Cheney fuck-up well into 2009 ..... possibly longer. [/b][/quote]

While Bush certianly didnt help matters, this has been comming for a long time so he doesnt deserve ALL of the blame.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='722466' date='Nov 8 2008, 01:29 AM']Strongly suggest reading this. [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110603948_pf.html"]Gene and his wife.[/url][/quote]

so sad. damn.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='722466' date='Nov 8 2008, 01:29 AM']Strongly suggest reading this. [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110603948_pf.html"]Gene and his wife.[/url][/quote]

Very sad ending. What may be sadder is people voted for and against him because he is black. Whoever did either was completely wrong.

Archived