Everytime I travel I hate home even more...

GoBengals

just clearing my head out loud.

i've been a bit edgy for 2-3 days, so apologizing to those whos heads i may have bitten off in that time for seemingly little to no reason.

but ohio is awful.

it is.. it really really is. there are a few cities/towns im cool in, Montgomery, blue ash, some parts of mason, etc, but its walls are closing in on me pretty fast.

its the small things. the behaviors, the thought process of many, well almost all. and utter blindness to how anything in the real world works.

some barely related family member decisions have made it even worse, and when you give advice, and 100 reasons for said advice, and they agree, then 4 hours later do the complete opposite for some insane f'n reason, and then 6 weeks later it totally fucks their entire life up, and they act like innocent victims the whole way.(cant do specifics)

then you go to work, and deal with people who probably shouldnt be allowed outside, let alone conducting business and having offspring.

i used to think it was like this everywhere on some level, but its very different.

there is a fucking bizzare midwest hillbilly hora that seems infectious, one idiotic act leads to another, and people walk through life pretending everything is fine and normal.

i dont know if its my brain, the way i think, my personality, or what, but i cant handle it. i want more, and there is nothing left here. absolutely nothing...

what growth is there?

im stuck here for at LEAST 2-3 more years.. Denver almost has to be my new home. there are a few other places i would be ok with i guess...

the only thing i look forward to here is football season....and vacations.

we are treading water on our housing situation currently, for this reason..

and obvious economic ones. i dont know how receptive my wife will be to leaving, her family all just came back here... im ready to get the f out.

my whole family is better off not being here anymore....mentally, economically, etc..

ah well.. just felt like venting...

That would've been me and my wife 13 years ago. We got married in July of '97, and drove out to Yellowstone NP for our honeymoon. On the way back, we met a friend living in Spearfish, SD (well, he was living in Lead, but close enough). We were both sick of Ohio for many of the same reasons you listed, so we said "fuck it", rented a house, went back to Ohio, packed up our shit and moved. We haven't been back since aside from a couple of holidays and a funeral.

Things are different for you because you have the munchkins, as well as a house, but I totally get where you're coming from as I've been there. Why are you like that you ask? Easy. You have an old soul, and a bad case of wanderlust. You act (it's easy to see even through your writing on the net for fuck's sake) older than your years. The downside to that is the wanderlust. Had you been born 100-150 years ago, you would have been on a wagon train out this way just like us. A lot of folks get that, but not that many act on it. The best advice I can give is don't allow yourself to get stuck; the last thing you want is to look back on your life in 20 years and tell yourself "goddammit, I should have just gone". My brother is in that boat.

Our problem is my wife's cock-monkey family. We moved 2,500 miles away from those fuckers and they followed us out here. <_<

Now we're looking to get out of the US entirely.

Some place like Germany or Australia.

Yeah, that sounds nice...

Wow, you guys really are miserable. I have traveled a lot and I am pretty sure there are dumb people everywhere. This "infectious hillbilly hora" you speak of, I don't really understand. Sorry your lives suck so bad and you have to wake up in the morning hating where you live and the people around you. I hope everything works out for the best.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='749496' date='Feb 25 2009, 11:12 PM']Now we're looking to get out of the US entirely.

[b]Some place like Germany or Australia[/b].

Yeah, that sounds nice...[/quote]
Damn, my long distance bills are going to be HUGE the next time I have a computer issue...

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='749535' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:39 AM']Wow, you guys really are miserable. I have traveled a lot and I am pretty sure there are dumb people everywhere. This "infectious hillbilly hora" you speak of, I don't really understand. Sorry your lives suck so bad and you have to wake up in the morning hating where you live and the people around you. I hope everything works out for the best.[/quote]

I've been quite happy since I moved away from the Midwest... :mellow:

I'm still in the Midwest...

Just 250 south of Cincy. I moved here because of a girl, yes I said that, 14 years ago - I was 19 at that time. I love it here - every time I'm in Cincy for holidays, etc. it reminds me just how "fast" and "in a hurry" every seems to be in. All of my family still lives around Cincy, Evendale, Hamilton, Morrow, Maineville, Reading, etc., etc., etc., and it is nice to go back and be around but honestly I enjoy not having all the family "drama" that is there. Still have it a little bit from the wife's family here, but her family is much smaller than mine so it is limited.

I'm not going to dog Cincinnati because I still like it there, but I like it here better. If that makes sense - personality of people, etc. is a lot different.

And, Elf, I don't know where in Nevada you're at... but I was in Vegas back in September... maybe it is because I did the touristy thing but I wouldn't live there for much of anything. Maybe if you got further away from the heart of the city it would be nice - beautiful country though!

[quote name='Elflocko' post='749496' date='Feb 25 2009, 11:12 PM']That would've been me and my wife 13 years ago. We got married in July of '97, and drove out to Yellowstone NP for our honeymoon. On the way back, we met a friend living in Spearfish, SD (well, he was living in Lead, but close enough). We were both sick of Ohio for many of the same reasons you listed, so we said "fuck it", rented a house, went back to Ohio, packed up our shit and moved. We haven't been back since aside from a couple of holidays and a funeral.

Things are different for you because you have the munchkins, as well as a house, but I totally get where you're coming from as I've been there. Why are you like that you ask? Easy. You have an old soul, and a bad case of wanderlust. You act (it's easy to see even through your writing on the net for fuck's sake) older than your years. The downside to that is the wanderlust. Had you been born 100-150 years ago, you would have been on a wagon train out this way just like us. A lot of folks get that, but not that many act on it. The best advice I can give is don't allow yourself to get stuck; the last thing you want is to look back on your life in 20 years and tell yourself "goddammit, I should have just gone". My brother is in that boat.

Our problem is my wife's cock-monkey family. We moved 2,500 miles away from those fuckers and they followed us out here. <_<

Now we're looking to get out of the US entirely.

Some place like Germany or Australia.

Yeah, that sounds nice...[/quote]

thanks for the reply, i feel actually a lot better knowing im not alone and im not batshit crazy feeling this way.... i know her family wouldnt follow us, mine would, i have a sister in parker CO already, and my parents want to head out that way as well, so if done well we wouldnt lose out on the free babysitting or anything thats "nice" about our current situation in ohio..

[quote name='Ben' post='749525' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:11 AM']I agree Go. This house is a shackle around my legs keeping me in ohio.[/quote]

housing blows everywhere, so even if you took it in the rear on your current house, youd get a steal elsewhere.. but if youve only been there a few years youd probably OWE money by selling it. which wont work out... good luck...

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='749535' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:39 AM']Wow, you guys really are miserable. I have traveled a lot and I am pretty sure there are dumb people everywhere. This "infectious hillbilly hora" you speak of, I don't really understand. Sorry your lives suck so bad and you have to wake up in the morning hating where you live and the people around you. I hope everything works out for the best.[/quote]

not that i wake up and wanna stab forks in my eyes or anything, but when i think about my life and my goals and my childrens education and future, im not interested in my kids going to a "great school system" which is only called that because of the money spent there, the zoo-like stone fountain system and health fitness club attached, and the most snobby shitheaded children skating through classes ending up a stupid jackass with some superiority complex in life. Im surrounded by people who refuse to realize the situation the country is in. the changes they need to make or should at least recognize. and continue horrible decisions and feel including me in the pitty party always seems like a good plan.

there are hundreds of thousands of people who will forever live here and be happy. some people are happy working at white castle for 60 years and retiring, some want to become CEO's and some just want more opportunity and variety in life.

people are wired differently. I saw someone from high school a few weeks ago, probably 30 years old, driving an old pickup truck, some wranglers, boots, flannel, and in the midst of some typically country boy behavior, and will likely do that the rest of his life, buy every new-used truck from the same lot in lebanon, live on the same farm in lebanon, and do the same thing forever. id kill myself after 3 months doing this.

ironically i enjoy my job currently, i would enjoy it even more in a bigger city, as i experienced the job in another city once and it was a little cooler.

i think some of it has to do with my dad growing up, he did some damn impressive things at large company here, and it always made me want to accomplish big things as well, he and i think a lot alike, he just has a much better work ethic. <_<

some people love being a garbage man, some people hate being a marketing manager for an NFL team. people enjoy things differently.

[quote name='Ben' post='749559' date='Feb 26 2009, 08:23 AM']One of my uncles put it to me best, "Ohio is a great place to grow up and a better place to move out of" or something along those lines.[/quote]

seems about right, i think im gld i grew up here, it allowed me a contained environment to test doing crazy shit in life in a remotely safe manner... but its time to roll out now..
very well put.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='749611' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:46 AM']I'm still in the Midwest...

Just 250 south of Cincy. I moved here because of a girl, yes I said that, 14 years ago - I was 19 at that time. I love it here - every time I'm in Cincy for holidays, etc. it reminds me just how "fast" and "in a hurry" every seems to be in. All of my family still lives around Cincy, Evendale, Hamilton, Morrow, Maineville, Reading, etc., etc., etc., and it is nice to go back and be around but honestly I enjoy not having all the family "drama" that is there. Still have it a little bit from the wife's family here, but her family is much smaller than mine so it is limited.

I'm not going to dog Cincinnati because I still like it there, but I like it here better. If that makes sense - personality of people, etc. is a lot different.

And, Elf, I don't know where in Nevada you're at... but I was in Vegas back in September... maybe it is because I did the touristy thing but I wouldn't live there for much of anything. Maybe if you got further away from the heart of the city it would be nice - beautiful country though![/quote]

lol, cincy is fast and in a hurry? man, i think you may be my polar opposite. and i think you may be one of the few i went off on in a thread recently, i dont remember tho, if so, my apologies.

ive been to TN twice, it was nice, people were super friendly, but i wasnt around long enough to get much feel for it. tho i found it odd, that myself and two other guys were walking down the street about midnight, and a black fella crossed the street to avoid US. which was funny irony as its the opposite of what most mason-ohio residents would have done. tho it may have had something to do with me having a shaved head then and a beard, a dude with a long hippie beard and another dude with piercings all in his face. i sense perhaps some racism would regularly be in effect in the area we were in....with the guitar shaped pool and all...

your very lucky you are somewhere that you enjoy being tho. thats really priceless.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='749615' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:00 AM']housing blows everywhere, so even if you took it in the rear on your current house, youd get a steal elsewhere.. but if youve only been there a few years youd probably OWE money by selling it. which wont work out... good luck...[/quote]

Even though i built this house, it has work that needs done before i sell it. Hell i probably need to sync $20k to finish the basement just to make it sellable.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='749618' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:06 PM']lol, cincy is fast and in a hurry? man, [b]i think you may be my polar opposite[/b]. and i think you may be one of the few i went off on in a thread recently, i dont remember tho, if so, my apologies.

ive been to TN twice, it was nice, people were super friendly, but i wasnt around long enough to get much feel for it. tho i found it odd, that myself and two other guys were walking down the street about midnight, and a black fella crossed the street to avoid US. which was funny irony as its the opposite of what most mason-ohio residents would have done. tho it may have had something to do with me having a shaved head then and a beard, a dude with a long hippie beard and another dude with piercings all in his face. i sense perhaps some racism would regularly be in effect in the area we were in....with the guitar shaped pool and all...

your very lucky you are somewhere that you enjoy being tho. thats really priceless.[/quote]

Like you said in your previous post, different strokes for different folks... I lived north of Cincy for the first 18 years of my life. Evendale (mainly), ran around Blue Ash, Kenwood, Montgomery, West Chester, etc. and didn't think anything of it. I guess when it is the only thing you know - then it is "normal". Once I moved away and had been away 2-3 years and went back - it was noticeable.

But, to wake up every day and dread what is happening, etc. is no fun. I've done that - and it sucks. Do what makes you and your family happy. Otherwise, life gets to be no fun.

Regarding your comment about the black fella... there is still racism around here. It isn't in your face, but it is there. Black folks don't go to certain parts of east Tennessee and expect good things to happen. But, I don't go down to Magnolia Ave. and expect good things either!!!

[quote]And, Elf, I don't know where in Nevada you're at... but I was in Vegas back in September... maybe it is because I did the touristy thing but I wouldn't live there for much of anything. Maybe if you got further away from the heart of the city it would be nice - beautiful country though![/quote]

If you are on the strip and look west (towards Red Rock) I live at the base of the north end of the foothills of the Spring Mountains.

Here's a view from the top of Lone Mountain.

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/lodge308/IMG_0086.jpg[/img]

If we had kids, I don't know that we would have left Denver, but since we don't, this is a great town to live. It's close to great places (1 day from Yellowstone, 1/2 a day from Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Zion, close to San Diego, etc.) and has all the benefits of a huge city with only 2 million people. Anything and everything you want, 24/7/365. My running joke was always "If I want a beer, burrito, and a hooker at 3 AM on a Sunday while doing a U-turn, I [b]can[/b]"

Hell, I can go to Smiths (think Western Krogers) at 2 AM Sunday morning and buy a bottle of Absinthe (with wormwood no less) if I wish.

Pretty much every big name show makes it here, and if I want to spot pro athletes I just hang out at the Palms.

Las Vegas isn't for everyone, but if you don't gamble or have kids it can be great...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='749611' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:46 AM']I'm still in the Midwest...
Just 250 south of Cincy.[/quote]

What part of TN are you in again?
The Vol state rocks out with its cock out..

I used to consider this area the midwest until spending quite a bit of time working out in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa etc. THAT is the real midwest..
Dirt roads and corn (and snow) are your best and only friends out there. I think 4 or 5 states all share one tree.
Ohio doesn't come close to sucking that bad...

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='749653' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:02 PM']Damn, seems like just last year there wasn't a single house out in that area. Just a bunch of burros..[/quote]

That area actually started building up around 2003, but I know where you're coming from. When we moved here in '99 I used to go offroading in that very spot.

Had to be wary of people shooting up refrigerators and water heaters with their shotguns, though... ^_^

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='749646' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:50 PM']What part of TN are you in again?

I used to consider this area the midwest until spending quite a bit of time working out in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa etc. THAT is the real midwest..
Dirt roads and corn (and snow) are your best and only friends out there. I think 4 or 5 states all share one tree.
Ohio doesn't come close to sucking that bad...[/quote]

I live just north of Knoxville, in Powell. I work in Oak Ridge, yep - I glow on my way home every day!!!

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='749611' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:46 AM']I'm still in the Midwest...

Just 250 south of Cincy. I moved here because of a girl, yes I said that, 14 years ago - I was 19 at that time. I love it here - [b]every time I'm in Cincy for holidays, etc. it reminds me just how "fast" and "in a hurry" every seems to be i[/b]n. All of my family still lives around Cincy, Evendale, Hamilton, Morrow, Maineville, Reading, etc., etc., etc., and it is nice to go back and be around but honestly I enjoy not having all the family "drama" that is there. Still have it a little bit from the wife's family here, but her family is much smaller than mine so it is limited.

And, Elf, I don't know where in Nevada you're at... but I was in Vegas back in September... maybe it is because I did the touristy thing but I wouldn't live there for much of anything. Maybe if you got further away from the heart of the city it would be nice - beautiful country though![/quote]

Wow. During the 07 season me and some friends made the trip from NJ to Cincy to watch the Jets game. We thought everything seemed to be just the complete opposite of what you said. We were stunned at how we'd not be paying attention on the street and completly body check an oncoming stranger and they just smiled and profusely apologized for running into us. It became comical, we walked into random strangers just trying to find one person who would get mad at us and no one ever did. We're not tough guys either, if someone wanted to start some shit because of our stupid game we'd probably be in a lot of trouble. But I've bumped into people on the streets of NY and they turn around, pull their coat back a little and flash the handle of a gun sticking out of their pants. Different feeling when you see that.

We found all Cincy folks and Florence folks to be laid-back, kind, and polite...so I can only imagine what its like in TEN or NEB or Iowa

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='749646' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:50 PM']What part of TN are you in again?

Ohio doesn't come close to sucking that bad...[/quote]
Is the band that used to be in your sig (still might be) your band? I checked em out on MySpace the other day and really enjoyed it.

[quote]i feel actually a lot better knowing im not alone and im not batshit crazy feeling this way....[/quote]

Far from it. I think the people that spend their entire lives in the same place are the ones that are batshit crazy (my sister lives a mile and a half from the house we grew up in, and my brother 5 miles).

That would be hell for me...

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749714' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:36 PM']We found all Cincy folks and Florence folks to be laid-back, kind, and polite...so I can only imagine what its like in TEN or NEB or Iowa[/quote]

Tennessee is all about the southern hospitality.
Nebraska and Iowa on the other hand (outside Omaha and Des Moines anyway) is about as welcoming as Children of the Corn. They know you don't belong there and they let you know it..

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749714' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:36 PM']Is the band that used to be in your sig (still might be) your band? I checked em out on MySpace the other day and really enjoyed it.[/quote]

Glad you diggs it!

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749714' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:36 PM']Wow. During the 07 season me and some friends made the trip from NJ to Cincy to watch the Jets game. We thought everything seemed to be just the complete opposite of what you said. We were stunned at how we'd not be paying attention on the street and completly body check an oncoming stranger and they just smiled and profusely apologized for running into us. It became comical, we walked into random strangers just trying to find one person who would get mad at us and no one ever did. We're not tough guys either, if someone wanted to start some shit because of our stupid game we'd probably be in a lot of trouble. But I've bumped into people on the streets of NY and they turn around, pull their coat back a little and flash the handle of a gun sticking out of their pants. Different feeling when you see that.

We found all Cincy folks and Florence folks to be laid-back, kind, and polite...so I can only imagine what its like in TEN or NEB or Iowa

Is the band that used to be in your sig (still might be) your band? I checked em out on MySpace the other day and really enjoyed it.[/quote]

No doubt. You're dead on. It is all about what you're accustomed to.

Archived