Bengals to Take Andre Smith

Sources: Bengals expected to take A. Smith

By Jason Cole

NEW YORK – The Cincinnati Bengals are expected to select former Alabama OT Andre Smith with the sixth overall pick, even if more highly regarded tackles Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe fall to them, according to two sources with the organization.

Smith was the talk of the NFL scouting combine in February, when he left early after doing his interviews. Smith mistakenly thought he could go home after telling teams and combine officials that he wasn't planning to work out.

Smith was criticized for his lackadaisical attitude at the combine, for being out of shape at his pro day workout and for missing the Sugar Bowl after he was suspended by Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban for violating team rules.

Even so, the Bengals sources are at least saying that team officials think Smith is the best tackle on the board.

"By far, it's not even close," one team source said.

Many people predict that Smith, once considered a possibility for the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, would fall out of the top 10 and cost himself close to $30 million. While Smith is still losing millions at No. 6, he stands to get more than $20 million guaranteed at that spot.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Sources-Bengals-expected-to-take-A-Smith?urn=nfl,158961"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_th...?urn=nfl,158961[/url]

Reported by Jason Cole who seems to be pretty connected and is also writing a book on Ocho Dumpo so he might have some insight to this

[quote name='oldschooler' post='767541' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:25 PM']Why the hell would they let something like that
be known to a major media source so close to
the start of the draft?

That has to be a smoke screen, or 2 people need to be fired.[/quote]

I don't think that it's really a secret

I don't believe anything... if I were in charge of drafting a guy, I would start so much shit no one would know what to believe... that is what's happening now.

Not saying he is the man or isn't, but this could have came from anybody. Hell, maybe Cincinnati made "the leak" to make people think it was smokescreen and they're not targeting him, when really they are... :)

hehehe... im getting excited for 4:00

[quote name='mtrbur' post='767543' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:28 PM']I don't think that it's really a secret[/quote]

Just because Andre Smith has been mocked to the Bengals,
doesn't mean he is top of their board.

But you don't think how they have the OTs rated is a secret?

How are the Centers and RBs rated on their board then?

Anyway, if it was a secret, it isn't now.

I kind of got the sense of some smoke the other day
when Marvin openly talked about Smith in his Press
Conference, and had glowing remarks.

We shall see though . . .

[quote name='oldschooler' post='767552' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:36 PM']Just because Andre Smith has been mocked to the Bengals,
doesn't mean he is top of their board.

But you don't think how they have the OTs rated is a secret?

How are the Centers and RBs rated on their board then?

Anyway, if it was a secret, it isn't now.

I kind of got the sense of some smoke the other day
when Marvin openly talked about Smith in his Press
Conference, and had glowing remarks.

We shall see though . . .[/quote]

I meant that I don't think it's a secret that despite what the media says, most teams have Andre Smith as the top tackle.... just the feeling that I get

[quote name='mtrbur' post='767554' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:38 PM']I meant that I don't think it's a secret that despite what the media says, most teams have Andre Smith as the top tackle.... just the feeling that I get[/quote]

If that is true, then he is going to St. Louis. Of course if they think he is better off at RT, then maybe not.

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='767539' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:22 PM']"By far, it's not even close," one team source said.[/quote]

This sounds like he's quoting Lap from Lance's show on Thursday? Which, if he is, I don't really consider an official source from inside the Bengals organization.

Where there is smoke there is fire. The Bengals have been all over Andre Smith in the pre-draft scouting process. Paul Alexander helped work him out at his Pro Day. They've had him in town for an official visit. I have no idea who Jason Cole's source would be but it doesn't really matter. The Bengals have clearly expressed an interest beyond simple due diligence with Andre Smith. I completely agree with the source in that Andre Smith had a better season last year than any of the other top OT in this year's class. Jason Smith's stock has risen primarily based upon things he's done in shorts. Eugene Monroe would be a slam-dunk pick if not for serious injury concerns involving both his knee and hip. Andre Smith is closer to being an elite talent than anybody besides Aaron Curry in this entire draft, IMO.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='767569' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:00 PM']Where there is smoke there is fire. The Bengals have been all over Andre Smith in the pre-draft scouting process. Paul Alexander helped work him out at his Pro Day. They've had him in town for an official visit. I have no idea who Jason Cole's source would be but it doesn't really matter. The Bengals have clearly expressed an interest beyond simple due diligence with Andre Smith. I completely agree with the source in that Andre Smith had a better season last year than any of the other top OT in this year's class. Jason Smith's stock has risen primarily based upon things he's done in shorts. Eugene Monroe would be a slam-dunk pick if not for serious injury concerns involving both his knee and hip. Andre Smith is closer to being an elite talent than anybody besides Aaron Curry in this entire draft, IMO.[/quote]

agreed, and you pretty much put what I was trying to express into words

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='767569' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:00 PM']Where there is smoke there is fire. The Bengals have been all over Andre Smith in the pre-draft scouting process. Paul Alexander helped work him out at his Pro Day. They've had him in town for an official visit. I have no idea who Jason Cole's source would be but it doesn't really matter. The Bengals have clearly expressed an interest beyond simple due diligence with Andre Smith. I completely agree with the source in that Andre Smith had a better season last year than any of the other top OT in this year's class. Jason Smith's stock has risen primarily based upon things he's done in shorts. Eugene Monroe would be a slam-dunk pick if not for serious injury concerns involving both his knee and hip. Andre Smith is closer to being an elite talent than anybody besides Aaron Curry in this entire draft, IMO.[/quote]

Keith Rivers said that he had no clue the Bengals
were even interested in drafting him. And I don't
recall any visits or very many mocks that had
us taking him.

I think a lot of people, myself included, get caught
up in all the mocks and hype.

That isn't saying that Andre won't be the pick.
I picked him in Jason's contest and would be
happy if we got him.

But like I said, if 2 sources are telling a dude
that works for Yahoo who we are targeting,
they need to be fired.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='767578' date='Apr 25 2009, 03:10 PM']Keith Rivers said that he had no clue the Bengals
were even interested in drafting him. And I don't
recall any visits or very many mocks that had
us taking him.[/quote]
Apparently the Bengals didn't even have a clue that they were going to draft Rivers.

There is a story that on draft day last year, the Bengals had 3 jerseys with the number 1 on it prepped for the introductory press conference. Apparently the three jerseys that were prepped had "Ellis", "Havey" and "Mckelvin" on the back. A "Rivers" jersey had to be made asap.

But back on topic. I'm rooting for Aaron Curry. But he is my 1A and Andre is my 1B. Would be thrilled to have either one of them.

[quote name='Mu Shu' post='767588' date='Apr 25 2009, 03:27 PM']Apparently the Bengals didn't even have a clue that they were going to draft Rivers.

There is a story that on draft day last year, the Bengals had 3 jerseys with the number 1 on it prepped for the introductory press conference. Apparently the three jerseys that were prepped had "Ellis", "Havey" and "Mckelvin" on the back. A "Rivers" jersey had to be made asap.

But back on topic. I'm rooting for Aaron Curry. But he is my 1A and Andre is my 1B. Would be thrilled to have either one of them.[/quote]
Can you imagine the outrage if they drafted McKelvin..... God I would have been so pissed. 3 drafts in a row in which they drafted a 1st round corner. I can't even believe they considered it.

[quote name='Mu Shu' post='767588' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:27 PM']Apparently the Bengals didn't even have a clue that they were going to draft Rivers.

There is a story that on draft day last year, the Bengals had 3 jerseys with the number 1 on it prepped for the introductory press conference. Apparently the three jerseys that were prepped had "Ellis", "Havey" and "Mckelvin" on the back. A "Rivers" jersey had to be made asap.[/quote]

I rememeber hearing that story last year.
I thought it was bullshit then, and still do.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='767596' date='Apr 25 2009, 12:31 PM']Can you imagine the outrage if they drafted McKelvin..... God I would have been so pissed. 3 drafts in a row in which they drafted a 1st round corner. I can't even believe they considered it.[/quote]
Unless that was Smoke too, I don't believe the story.

A.possible reason you don't have to work out Rivers is that he was basically a known quantity. Whereas Smith this year raised all kinds of questions at the combine we might have had to check out personally to decide to pick or not

Archived