Week 1 vs. Denver

[quote]Broncos suspend Brandon Marshall
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2009 10:38 AM ET
As it turns out, Marshall's attempt to accept responsibility for his actions was too little, and too late.

The Broncos have suspended Marshall for conduct detrimental to the team.

The team announced the move via e-mail moments ago.

The duration of the suspension has not yet been determined. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and the NFLPA, the maximum suspension for conduct detrimental to the team is four games.

Unlike league-imposed suspensions, which are subject to appeal to the league office, discipline meted out by the individual clubs can be challenged via third-party arbitration.[/quote]

apparently he was acting up in practice Wednesday. ESPN says he may miss the game vs. Bengals

[quote]No go for Knowshon in Week One?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 6:53 PM ET
When the Broncos face the Bengals to start the season, they might be without the services of the twelfth overall pick in the 2009 draft.

According to Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post, tailback Knowshon Moreno is not expected to be back to 100 percent by the time Week One rolls around.[/b]

Even if Moreno's sprained MCL has healed by September 13, Moreno's conditioning likely will keep him on the shelf.

With LaMont Jordan also missing time due to injury, the current starter is veteran Correll Buckhalter, who arrived via free agency after eight years in Philly.

Peyton Hillis also could shift over from fullback, and Darius Walker could get reps, too.

Oh well. At least they still have Jay Cutler Kyle Orton at quarterback.[/quote]

[quote name='GoCommando' date='28 August 2009 - 05:13 PM' timestamp='1251472383' post='795752']
I think we of all fans have learned not to take anyone too lightly, no matter the circumstances.

At least I hope we have.
[/quote]

Yeah, that rookie qb easy win first game didn't work out so well last year did it?

I thought they were going to destroy a really poor Ravens team in the first game of last season. Turns out I was wrong and the Ravens were really good.

I can't see losing to Denver when they are playing without their two biggest playmakers on offense though. If they do lose to Denver it's going to be a long rough season. That team is an absolute mess right now.

as to why he's suspended in the first place:

[quote]Brandon Marshall officially is an idiot
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 9:00 PM ET
We've been fair to Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall. When ESPN tried to smear him unfairly regarding battery charges on which he was later acquitted, we cried foul and demonstrated the serious flaws in Bristol's reporting.

But based on this video from Wednesday's practice, courtesy of TheDenverChannel.com, we are now prepared to conclude that Marshall is, in our opinion, an idiot.

A complete idiot.

Watch the video if you disagree. He's acting like a spoiled brat, knocking the ball down during individual wideout drills, punting the ball instead of handing it to the ball boys, and generally lollygagging.

So it's no surprise that Marshall wasn't at practice today.

As one league source recently pointed out, the Broncos should be documenting Marshall's behavior. They'll need that evidence if/when they decide to suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team.

And though Marshall's plan likely is to be disruptive without providing full-blown cause for a conclusion that he's acting like Terrell Owens circa 2005, what we saw in that video is, in our view, enough to justify sending him home for the first four weeks of the season, at a total salary loss of $517,000.

The Broncos should do it. They've got nothing to lose, in our view. If the grievance succeeds, then they'll pay him the salary they would have otherwise paid him anyway for being of no value to the team's effort to win football games.

Marshall apparently also doesn't realize that his behavior is making it even less likely that another team will pull the trigger on a trade for him. The fact that Marshall is behaving so badly for the Broncos is more than enough to make any potential buyer beware that he might do the same thing in his new city if/when he gets a stick up butt at some point in the future.[/quote]

The video: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video/20590420/index.html

Denver is a team that doesn't know what to make of their coach. They have a good O-line, some receivers and RBs, but a poor QB. Their defense is getting a makeover and who knows what it will look like. The Bengals should beat Denver by more than a touchdown and get their first test week 2 at Green Bay.

[quote]Broncos' introduce "extremities" to injury talk
Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2009 8:43 PM ET
With two offensive starters lost in the first half of Sunday night's game between the Broncos and the Bears, the home team has described both players as suffering injuries to "extremities."

The Broncos said that [b]guard Chris Kupter has an injury to a "lower extremity,"[/b] reports NBC's Andrea Kremer, who points out that Kuper walked off the field with no weight on his injured foot.

Meanwhile, [b]receiver Eddie Royal has an injury, per the team, to an "upper extremity."[/b] Royal seemed to suffer a shoulder injury while being tackled after catching a pass.

Royal seems to be more likely to return that Kuper. But since the game doesn't count, maybe the smart move is to keep him out, too.[/quote]

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] Kyle Orton's right index finger gushing blood. That's not going to be comfortable to throw with.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3656282611"]20 minutes ago[/url] from [url="http://ubertwitter.com/"]UberTwitter[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 August 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1251682753' post='796482']
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] Kyle Orton's right index finger gushing blood. That's not going to be comfortable to throw with.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/3656282611"]20 minutes ago[/url] from [url="http://ubertwitter.com/"]UberTwitter[/url]
[/quote]

Denver looks pretty bad. They may end up being decent at some point, but I like our chances week 1.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 August 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1251682753' post='796482']
[/quote]

i watched the play it happened on, and still cant figure out how it happened.

[quote name='whodey24k' date='30 August 2009 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1251682502' post='796481']
denver's D doesnt look that bad, but they have no offense what so ever.
[/quote]

maybe i was wrong now the D looks like shit too.

[quote name='Actium' date='31 August 2009 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1251731039' post='796594']
[b]It's always tough to win in Denver. [/b]I could very well see us lose. The Broncos aren't good, but then we aren't all that terrific either.
[/quote]

Good thing we are not playing them in Denver then.

I was not one overlooking the Ravens last season.

But if we don't beat Denver handily we may be in trouble again this year. Even if they do have all their players.

[quote name='Jason' date='31 August 2009 - 11:26 AM' timestamp='1251732378' post='796597']
Good thing we are not playing them in Denver then.

I was not one overlooking the Ravens last season.

But if we don't beat Denver handily we may be in trouble again this year. Even if they do have all their players.
[/quote]

:doh: I've taken too long a break from posting. I think I'm going back to lurking. :D

After last night's game (trying to be objective)...

[list]
[*]The Broncos got to play in a real game-like situation with the crowd being into the game - advantage Broncos
[*]The fact that they lost the game that felt real may leave the players questioning the team's direction - Advantage Bengals
[*]The Broncos seem to be a team with plenty of drama - Advantange Bengals
[*]The Broncos have their top 2 QB's injured...Bengals top guy is injured...Regardless if any of the 3 QB's will be impeded for opening day, the point is that they are all missing some reps with the first team in practice - Advantage = Push (at this point)
[/list]

Key to the game (I believe) will come down to the Bengals defense's ability to pressure the QB. Create enough disruption and I like the home team's chances.

How would you like to be a fan of the Chargers right now?

Oakland is Oakland...
Denver is going the wrong direction...
KC put all of their eggs in the basket of an unproven back-up (Cassell) who is now injured, and then they fire their OC less than 2 weeks before the season starts

Seriously...is there another team that looks to have an easier road to their division title than the Chargers do right now?

[quote name='whodey1971' date='31 August 2009 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1251737087' post='796607']
How would you like to be a fan of the Chargers right now?

Oakland is Oakland...
Denver is going the wrong direction...
KC put all of their eggs in the basket of an unproven back-up (Cassell) who is now injured, and then they fire their OC less than 2 weeks before the season starts

Seriously...is there another team that looks to have an easier road to their division title than the Chargers do right now?
[/quote]
Arizona has the Rams, Seahawks and 49ers but they at least have some positive momentum. You know it's a bad division when the Raiders are the early favorite for 2nd.

Archived