LeBron James should have been a QB

[quote name='Xombie' date='04 December 2009 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1259975732' post='836729']
Are you kidding?
[/quote]
No. I've seen that done on playgrounds enough times with a basketball that using a smaller ball designed to be thrown in such a manner is not impressive at all. I'm sure LeBron has practiced that shot hundreds of times and didn't just pick up a ball and chuck it once and make it.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='04 December 2009 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1259976662' post='836739']
No. I've seen that done on playgrounds enough times with a basketball that using a smaller ball designed to be thrown in such a manner is not impressive at all. I'm sure LeBron has practiced that shot hundreds of times and didn't just pick up a ball and chuck it once and make it.
[/quote]

So, by that logic, a surgeon who routinely works on removing cancerous tumors is not impressive in removing another one simply because he has practiced doing it? You must find football, and almost every other activity on the planet, quite boring, as all the best examples of each one tend to come after decades of practice. Unless Peyton Manning is some sort of quarterback idiot savant that only knew how to say 'Hike' and would randomly throw the ball to Marvin Harrison, I am betting they practiced alot, too.

What would impress you?

[quote name='Xombie' date='04 December 2009 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1259978828' post='836753']
So, by that logic, a surgeon who routinely works on removing cancerous tumors is not impressive in removing another one simply because he has practiced doing it? You must find football, and almost every other activity on the planet, quite boring, as all the best examples of each one tend to come after decades of practice. Unless Peyton Manning is some sort of quarterback idiot savant that only knew how to say 'Hike' and would randomly throw the ball to Marvin Harrison, I am betting they practiced alot, too.

What would impress you?
[/quote]

lol

what a drama queen..

he threw a basketball 30 yards..

woopty dooo

[quote name='GoBengals' date='04 December 2009 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1259978947' post='836755']
lol

what a drama queen..

woopty dooo
[/quote]

Can you sink one on command from the same distance?

I sure as fuck cannot. That is impressive.

And if I was a drama queen, I would have made a comment that you showed up wearing the exact same outfit I was wearing.

Bitch.

:ph34r: :00000052:

[quote name='Xombie' date='04 December 2009 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1259978828' post='836753']

What would impress you?
[/quote]
If LeBron did that in a game to help his team win when there was pressure. I'm not going to be impressed by Peyton Manning in practice either and the only thing that really impresses me about surgeons is how they are able to do what they do without puking all over the patient.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='04 December 2009 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1259978947' post='836755']
lol

what a drama queen..

woopty dooo
[/quote]

ahahhahahhah exactly. I used to do that all the time as a youngster. It's a 30 yard lob pass. I'm sure that wasn't the only time he threw it too, they just showed the time that went in.

PS I do think LeBron could have made a great QB. He has great court vision and can make quick decisions. If his arm was any sort of good, he could easily played college ball.

I'm so sick of everyone on ESPN and in the media blowing LeBron for every little fucking thing he does. When this vid came out, and all those retards on tv were talking all this shit about he shoulda played QB and everything, I wanted to blow my fucking head off. Not that impressive. At all. Anyone who can throw a fairly accurate pass can make that within 20 or so tries. 30 yards is not a long pass and its not hard to make an accurate throw at that distance. I never played QB and I'm sure I'd be able to pull it off without too much fucking difficulty. The LeBron knob slobbing must stop. Its getting to a Big Jen level of rediculousness

[quote name='GoBengals' date='04 December 2009 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1259978947' post='836755']
lol

what a drama queen..

woopty dooo
[/quote]

But didn't you watch the entire video? He did it like 15 times ina row.

*shrugs* I am sorry, but I simply do not understand the tendency that seems to be so prevalent these days to down play or nonchalantly negate the things other people accomplish, whether or not the accomplishments were needed at the time, or simply done for fun. I can throw a ball 30 yards, but could I consistently do so with the accuracy to drop it at that distance into an opening smaller than the average garbage can? Hell, no. And I would wager most of the people that are crapping on it cannot either. But they seem to feel that if they crap on it enough, it lessens the act itself.

Is throwing a ball a fairly long distance with pinpoint accuracy in practice a world-changing accomplishment? No. But to say that it should not be appreciated is deluding yourself.

[quote name='Xombie' date='05 December 2009 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1260039873' post='836908']
*shrugs* I am sorry, but I simply do not understand the tendency that seems to be so prevalent these days to down play or nonchalantly negate the things other people accomplish, whether or not the accomplishments were needed at the time, or simply done for fun. I can throw a ball 30 yards, but could I consistently do so with the accuracy to drop it at that distance into an opening smaller than the average garbage can? Hell, no. And I would wager most of the people that are crapping on it cannot either. But they seem to feel that if they crap on it enough, it lessens the act itself.

Is throwing a ball a fairly long distance with pinpoint accuracy in practice a world-changing accomplishment? No. But to say that it should not be appreciated is deluding yourself.
[/quote]
I hear what you're saying and while I agree that on the surface this is impressive, we also live in a world of jackass, worlds funniest videos, most amazing finishes, photoshopping, etc, etc. I think this is why otherwise impressive, bizarre, or extraordinary actions illicit less reaction. We have become skeptics of impressive accomplishments, especially without more proof.

As others have suggested, for all we know, LeBron left the camera on and spent the whole day getting this one shot. If you spent all day doing this, I'd suggest that you would put one thru the goal too. If he pulled football out during pre-game warmups, at halftime, or some public event and did this with witnesses, i.e. ONE attempt with ONE goal, then THAT would be damn impressive.

You think these kids got this in ONE take?:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGBKLa_uz0[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZPpBYxIjQ[/media]

We did this stuff ALL the time when we were kids, and if you tried enough times you'd get lucky, but we didn't have anyway to capture it back then. In the age of cheap video cameras, cell phone video, media overload, youtube, etc, we've become accustomed to this stuff. That's all I'm (and others) are saying.

I can't even count how many times I have chucked a basketball from half court and made it. Yep, missed it way more times than I made it for sure but are some of you seriously thinking that by throwing a football into a basketball hoop 33 yards you now have the ability to read an NFL defensive scheme and make the same throw at real time with 270lb human beings trying to end your season?

I have to side with the rest of the so what crowd. Only a bunch of losers that have never stepped onto a basketball court would consider this an actual accomplishment. Its kinda cool but nothing more.

It reminds me of when Brandi Chastain of the US Women's Soccer team scored the winning penalty kick in the world cup and took off her shirt to reveal the dreaded sports bra. Half the country to include the announcers were appalled at her behavior, the other half were wondering if these idiots had been in an actual gym in the last 20 years since most of the hot girls work out in sports bras.

God forbid LeBron ever gets a hole in one. Nike may sue to have him become a member of the PGA tour.

[quote name='SF2' date='05 December 2009 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1260048068' post='836955']
I can't even count how many times I have chucked a basketball from half court and made it. Yep, missed it way more times than I made it for sure but are some of you seriously thinking that by throwing a football into a basketball hoop 33 yards you now have the ability to read an NFL defensive scheme and make the same throw at real time with 270lb human beings trying to end your season?

I have to side with the rest of the so what crowd. Only a bunch of losers that have never stepped onto a basketball court would consider this an actual accomplishment. Its kinda cool but nothing more.

It reminds me of when Brandi Chastain of the US Women's Soccer team scored the winning penalty kick in the world cup and took off her shirt to reveal the dreaded sports bra. Half the country to include the announcers were appalled at her behavior, the other half were wondering if these idiots had been in an actual gym in the last 20 years since most of the hot girls work out in sports bras.

God forbid LeBron ever gets a hole in one. Nike may sue to have him become a member of the PGA tour.
[/quote]

This proves my point exactly. This has nothing to do with healthy skepticism that was made into a valid point by an earlier poster. This has everything to with trying to flip an inferiority complex with a reflexive "Pfft... He ain't so great; a 12 year old could do -that-" mentality that runs rampant in those who can't do that, can't have that, and/or can't keep that. The first thing that occurs when this mentality puffs up is to circle their wagons and degrade the person who has done, earned, and/or kept the accomplishment in question. Now, admittedly, I think alot of this stems from the anonymity of the internet, because if SF2 was standing in the same gym as LeBron when he did this, I would be willing to bet there would be significantly less of the disregarding of what he did and a reciprocal amount of mad props given.

[quote name='Xombie' date='05 December 2009 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1260055430' post='836985']
This proves my point exactly. This has nothing to do with healthy skepticism that was made into a valid point by an earlier poster. This has everything to with trying to flip an inferiority complex with a reflexive "Pfft... He ain't so great; a 12 year old could do -that-" mentality that runs rampant in those who can't do that, can't have that, and/or can't keep that. The first thing that occurs when this mentality puffs up is to circle their wagons and degrade the person who has done, earned, and/or kept the accomplishment in question. Now, admittedly, I think alot of this stems from the anonymity of the internet, because if SF2 was standing in the same gym as LeBron when he did this, I would be willing to bet there would be significantly less of the disregarding of what he did and a reciprocal amount of mad props given.
[/quote]
Its just not a very impressive feat, man, no matter who does it. But especially not impressive since its a professional athlete doin it. Still, if I'm at the park and someone does it, we may be like fuckin cool man. Its definitely not sportscenter worthy though and its not worth all this hoopla

[quote name='Xombie' date='05 December 2009 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1260055430' post='836985']
[/quote]

Whats your point? Basically, the logic goes that A. Lebron is a great basketball player (never will dispute that). B. Lebron threw a football 33 yards into a basketball hoop fooling around in the gym. Therefore, Lebron would be a great football player. Pure circular reasoning. It wasn't an amazing feat by any stretch. Only those people who have never spent anytime in a gym would consider it anything more that fooling around and getting lucky. Probably just about everyone on this board has tossed a basketball in from halfcourt when we were kids. The reality is the media is so in love with Lebron that anything he does seems to be some kind of miraculous accomplishment. Its not. Pretty fun to watch but nothing more. Not dissin on his talents which are extrodinary, just saying it was no big deal.

[quote name='Xombie' date='05 December 2009 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1260057308' post='836992']
Oh, well. It is obvious I am of a dying breed. Please, as you were. I apologize for interrupting this episode of Internet Bashing Theater.
[/quote]

If I post a video of some random dude doing this, will you fawn all over it? Why does everything have to be appreciated? Just because people think it's ho-hum, doesn't mean they are trying to downplay it as insignificant. The action was insignificant already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJRXUKfvMA

[quote name='sois' date='05 December 2009 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1260058547' post='836996']
If I post a video of some random dude doing this, will you fawn all over it? Why does everything have to be appreciated? Just because people think it's ho-hum, doesn't mean they are trying to downplay it as insignificant. The action was insignificant already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJRXUKfvMA
[/quote]
Pfft, LeBron's throw had much better arc and was a tighter spiral. That kid sucks. :ninja:

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='05 December 2009 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1260063501' post='837013']
Pfft, LeBron's throw had much better arc and was a tighter spiral. That kid sucks. :ninja:
[/quote]

Not taking a side because I could care less... But assuming the previous mention of 30+ yds is correct than LeBron's toss was twice the distance (as the random kid's throw)... So no, that video isn't as impressive.

Archived