UC, until we get some bigger linemen (O/D)

Jeb

Our PAC-10 game this year wasn't much of a barometer to judge by since the whole of the PAC-10 has done poorly this bowl season. Illinois was our only Big Ten team and they were a cellar dweller this year. I know, I know, ...we schedule these games out in prior years but this year wasn't much help to gage this team. We have Alabama bringing back many players so its mandatory to get beefier on the lines. Both the offensive and defensive lines. Linkenbach got pushed around this game so even size didn't help him but I think its mandatory against any SEC opponent. If Zach is expected to put up good numbers next season then he will need to remain upright and less rushed to do it. I hope Butch Jones sees this as well and recruits the right people to address our weaknesses on both lines against the SEC. Otherwise, the next couple of bowl seasons could be a flops too.

Note to Tim Tebow: Welcome to the NFL and the crappiest team you can imagine playing on. I hope you took notes on Pike's performance because you'll be seeing a lot of the same attack directed at you now. Just remember, ...never give up, ...keep fighting no matter what.

(Please, please, please let it be the Stains, ...I'd love to see the Bengals annihilate your butt twice a season, ...no grudges here, ... :whistle: :D )

Btw, ...WTG OSU!!! Great bowl game!!!!!!!!!

I was really pulling for UC and hate everything about Florida. It's too bad that the season had to end like this. It does, unfortunately, really indicate that Texas-Alabama should be the National Championship game, and it really hurts the Big East's chances of ever getting an undefeated in the National Championship over a 1 loss SEC or Big 12 team.

I am also called to speculate how well my University of Kentucky Wildcats would fare in the Big East. Sure, they got annihilated by Florida, but so did the cream of the Big East. It was only two years ago that UK beat the eventual champion LSU team, also.
I would say that even with the injuries to Hartline this season and being forced to start a true freshman at QB, UK would win 9+ games on UC's schedule.

[quote name='#22' date='02 January 2010 - 03:56 AM' timestamp='1262419004' post='850370']
I was really pulling for UC and hate everything about Florida. It's too bad that the season had to end like this. It does, unfortunately, really indicate that Texas-Alabama should be the National Championship game, and it really hurts the Big East's chances of ever getting an undefeated in the National Championship over a 1 loss SEC or Big 12 team.

I am also called to speculate how well my University of Kentucky Wildcats would fare in the Big East. Sure, they got annihilated by Florida, but so did the cream of the Big East. It was only two years ago that UK beat the eventual champion LSU team, also.
I would say that even with the injuries to Hartline this season and being forced to start a true freshman at QB, UK would win 9+ games on UC's schedule.
[/quote]

I think we play Oklahoma again next season so that may be a good test for us but you are right in that this season's schedule worked out to be a light one.

Btw, ...I don't think Texas has a prayer of winning that game, ...for that matter, ...I don't think there is any college team that can beat Alabama right now.

Well the Bearcats season ended with a big ole THUD!

I think the Gators would have beaten any team they played last night.

I just hope Butch Jones brought a great Defensive Coordinator with him.

Also, note to whoever makes the uniform decisions.
DO NOT EVER WEAR THE WHITE HELMETS AGAIN.
Ecspecially with the all white uniforms.
They looked like a bunch of Stormtroopers getting their asses kicked
by a bunch of Jedis last night.

Man that game was painful to watch, all around.

[quote name='Jeb' date='02 January 2010 - 03:33 AM' timestamp='1262417639' post='850369']

[/quote]

Hey! My best thought watching as much of the game as I could stand before flipping off (in more ways than one) to ogle Jayne Mansfield's
daughter on a L&O SVU rerun was maybe the Beargnats make Tboner look good enough for the Browns to use their first round draft choice
on him and he will make Brady Quiff look like an all-pro.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 January 2010 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1262443940' post='850395']
Well the Bearcats season ended with a big ole THUD!

I think the Gators would have beaten any team they played last night.

Also, note to whoever makes the uniform decisions.
DO NOT EVER WEAR THE WHITE HELMETS AGAIN.
Ecspecially with the all white uniforms.
They looked like a bunch of Stormtroopers getting their asses kicked
by a bunch of Jedis last night.

Man that game was painful to watch, all around.
[/quote]

I agree old.

Also i think they got the championship wrong. We should have been playing texas last night. Florida and alabama are worlds ahead of the field this year.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='02 January 2010 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1262443940' post='850395']

[/quote]

Tim Banks - Co-Defensive Coordinator. He was CMU's defensive coordinator/secondary coach.
[url="http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46374&SPID=4199&DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=748560&Q_SEASON=2009"]http://www.cmuchippe...0&Q_SEASON=2009[/url]

John Jancek - Co-Defensive Coordinator. He was Georgia's co-defensive coordinator/linebackers coach.
[url="http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=301100"]http://www.georgiado...0&ATCLID=301100[/url]
He was named as Georgia's Co Defensive Coordinator in March 2009, although it was clearly stated that Willie Martinez was still the main man. Then Georgia fired both defensive coordinators and the defensive ends coach on December 2, 2009.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='02 January 2010 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1262439519' post='850386']
I said that months ago and got pounced on. UC's very small on both lines compared to the elite teams. Can't run a 3-4 successfully with a what, 260lb NT?

Heck, even OSU hasn't had a big beefy DT in ages.
[/quote]

OK, ...I've got the answer. All of our alumnis need to pitch in and get our coaches tickets to Samoa. That'll fix both lines.

No problem is too great that a few Samoans can't fix!

:help:

How about Butch getting on the phone with a few of the Bengals and see if he can get some inside contacts from coaches in the area. We got our own little community starting here at the pro level so why not hook up at the college level too?

[quote name='#22' date='02 January 2010 - 03:56 AM' timestamp='1262419004' post='850370']

[/quote]

UK would still suck in the Big East, don't worry. Yes, Florida and Alabama are in a league of their own - but Cincy getting whooped by Florida doesn't mean much to me. A lot of teams would get their asses kicked in that situation when they lose their HC and playcaller for the game. But beyond Florida and Alabama - what other SEC teams dominated their bowl games? Only UGA by my count. Ole Miss beat a horrendously overrated OK St. team today, Auburn struggled with Northwestern, UT got their butts kicked, Kentucky lost handily, LSU blew another game to PSU, UConn absolutely crushed SC, and Arkansas is currently going down to the wire with an ECU team that doesn't have anyone named Chris Johnson on it.

Trying to use the Florida game to say the Big East sucks is stupid.

I agree with the premise of this thread that your lines need to get bigger. One thing UConn has is a mammoth O-line that averages well over 300lbs across it. This has been why we've had our success. We still need to work on the defensive side of that equation.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='02 January 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1262482706' post='850519']
UK would still suck in the Big East, don't worry. Yes, Florida and Alabama are in a league of their own - but Cincy getting whooped by Florida doesn't mean much to me. A lot of teams would get their asses kicked in that situation when they lose their HC and playcaller for the game. But beyond Florida and Alabama - what other SEC teams dominated their bowl games? Only UGA by my count. Ole Miss beat a horrendously overrated OK St. team today, Auburn struggled with Northwestern, UT got their butts kicked, Kentucky lost handily, LSU blew another game to PSU, UConn absolutely crushed SC, and Arkansas is currently going down to the wire with an ECU team that doesn't have anyone named Chris Johnson on it.

Trying to use the Florida game to say the Big East sucks is stupid.

I agree with the premise of this thread that your lines need to get bigger. One thing UConn has is a mammoth O-line that averages well over 300lbs across it. This has been why we've had our success. We still need to work on the defensive side of that equation.
[/quote]

I forgot we had a huskies fan, ...good game!!! One of the teams I worried about was the Huskies this year. I knew when we played them it would be a tough game and I was right. You guys are good. I expect to see you guys competing next season for the title.

The game went about like I expected it to go. I've got a couple brothers-in-law that a big UC fans and we argued all week long leading up to this game. They said UC would hang and cover the spread... I said they were drunk as hell.

Look at each team's offense and each team's defense and seriously (not with black / red glasses) look at who for each team will be an NFL draft pick.

Florida
Tebow (granted I think he'll be a bad NFL qb)
Rainey
Demps
Hernandez
Cooper
Hayden
Dunlap
Spikes
the other linebacker

that is just the guys right of the top of my head and not factoring any linemen. Also, those are guys that are going to be relatively high.

UC
Pike - mid to late round pick
Gilyard
Revels probably...

am I missing anybody?

There is a significant talent gap.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='03 January 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1262575422' post='851545']
The game went about like I expected it to go. I've got a couple brothers-in-law that a big UC fans and we argued all week long leading up to this game. They said UC would hang and cover the spread... I said they were drunk as hell.

Look at each team's offense and each team's defense and seriously (not with black / red glasses) look at who for each team will be an NFL draft pick.

Florida
Rainey
Demps
Hernandez
Cooper
Hayden
Dunlap
Spikes
the other linebacker

that is just the guys right of the top of my head and not factoring any linemen. Also, those are guys that are going to be relatively high.

UC
Gilyard
Revels probably...

am I missing anybody?

[/quote]

We sent 11 players to the NFL last season (6 drafted). Its the excuse the media used to not rank us in the top 25 pre-season. This year we have many returning players. Our two top QB's will be juniors next season. Both have seen action on the field so neither are "wet-behind-the-ears." Both show poise in the pocket.

But I get your point. We were hopelessly over-matched, ...just as nobody will be to a young Florida team and everyone will be to a seasoned Alabama team next season.

Who wants to bet Florida ends up middle of the SEC pack next season and Alabama is number 1 in the country and will remain that way all season. Alabama is the team to beat next season. Its why I said, ...its time to go get some Samoan warriors! The great equalizer!

Once you go Samoan, ...you never go back! :D

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='03 January 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1262575422' post='851545']

Florida
Rainey
Demps
Hernandez
Cooper
Hayden
Dunlap
Spikes
the other linebacker

UC
Gilyard
Revels probably...

am I missing anybody?

[/quote]

are you talking only this years draft? they have a decent amount of others who will get into the NFL that arent going this year.

[quote name='Jeb' date='04 January 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1262618086' post='851835']

[b]Who wants to bet Florida ends up middle of the SEC pack next season[/b] and Alabama is number 1 in the country and will remain that way all season. Alabama is the team to beat next season. Its why I said, ...its time to go get some Samoan warriors! The great equalizer!

Once you go Samoan, ...you never go back! :D
[/quote]

Florida will not end in the middle of the pack of the SEC. No chance. The SEC East is weak. They should run through the east which would give them 5 wins in the SEC. They will win the sec east easily. Then they go to alabama, thats 1 loss. They get mississippi state at home, win. They get LSU at home, thats a toss up, at LSU, definite loss. Non conference is Miami OH, USF, App State, and FSU. I dont seem them losing more than 2 games in the regular season. Winning the East will get them another shot at alabama, probably another loss, but they'll still be in the sec title game again. Ill take that middle of the pack bet.

[quote name='bengals8580' date='05 January 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1262711707' post='852283']
Florida will not end in the middle of the pack of the SEC. No chance. The SEC East is weak. They should run through the east which would give them 5 wins in the SEC. They will win the sec east easily. Then they go to alabama, thats 1 loss. They get mississippi state at home, win. They get LSU at home, thats a toss up, at LSU, definite loss. Non conference is Miami OH, USF, App State, and FSU. I dont seem them losing more than 2 games in the regular season. Winning the East will get them another shot at alabama, probably another loss, but they'll still be in the sec title game again. Ill take that middle of the pack bet.
[/quote]

Joe Haden just declared for the draft.

[quote name='Jeb' date='05 January 2010 - 01:45 PM' timestamp='1262713538' post='852300']
Joe Haden just declared for the draft.
[/quote]

O I think a majority of their juniors will declare for the draft. They still return a pretty good running game. This is florida were talking about here, they dont have scrubs for backups. John Brantley is a pretty good passing qb. Apparently theyre changing to a power I and drop back passing team next year. Im just saying because of their sec schedule, they wont finish middle of the pack. Vandy, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky is the SEC East. No reason they shouldnt win their division.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='04 January 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1262660266' post='852039']
are you talking only this years draft? they have a decent amount of others who will get into the NFL that arent going this year.
[/quote]

I'm talking about any of the next 4 drafts if you want to look at it that way...

Bottom line, Florida has more NFL talent than UC, at least 3 to 1, maybe 4 to 1... slice it up any way you'd like.

Demps, Rainey, and Moody... name me 1 UC running back better than any of them. You can't.

[quote name='bengals8580' date='05 January 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1262715489' post='852309']
O I think a majority of their juniors will declare for the draft. They still return a pretty good running game. This is florida were talking about here, they dont have scrubs for backups. John Brantley is a pretty good passing qb. Apparently theyre changing to a power I and drop back passing team next year. Im just saying because of their sec schedule, they wont finish middle of the pack. Vandy, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky is the SEC East. No reason they shouldnt win their division.
[/quote]

Floriday will always be good, granted. But to automatically hand them 5 SEC East wins next season is silly... UT played them to a 10 point game in Gainesville and had the ball driving with 2 minutes to play when Crompton threw a pick. It was a close game. And, Florida ALWAYS has trouble with South Carolina for some reason... and South Carolina is loaded next year.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='06 January 2010 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1262795709' post='852663']
I'm talking about any of the next 4 drafts if you want to look at it that way...

Bottom line, Florida has more NFL talent than UC, at least 3 to 1, maybe 4 to 1... slice it up any way you'd like.

Demps, Rainey, and Moody... name me 1 UC running back better than any of them. You can't.
[/quote]

Its likely to stay that way or get worse if we don't find a way to stop the coaching carousel. At some point, players that we might attract with a stable coaching staff are going to start going elsewhere to find a stable program. No player wants to lose their coach before a BCS bowl and that point was on glaring display in this bowl. Nobody missed how much that hurt us and the upheaval associated with coaches leaving town to new jobs before a bowl game or a lame duck coach with one foot out the door coaching probably the biggest game in his career. What a mess this is.

The carousel must end and I don't know if Jones is the one to end it. He's probably another vagabond coach.

After Jones leaves (and he will), ...give Coombs the job for a year.

Just 1 year. Test him out. What could it hurt?

[quote name='Jeb' date='06 January 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1262804058' post='852735']
Its likely to stay that way or get worse if we don't find a way to stop the coaching carousel. At some point, players that we might attract with a stable coaching staff are going to start going elsewhere to find a stable program. No player wants to lose their coach before a BCS bowl and that point was on glaring display in this bowl. Nobody missed how much that hurt us and the upheaval associated with coaches leaving town to new jobs before a bowl game or a lame duck coach with one foot out the door coaching probably the biggest game in his career. What a mess this is.

The carousel must end and I don't know if Jones is the one to end it. He's probably another vagabond coach.

After Jones leaves (and he will), ...give Coombs the job for a year.

Just 1 year. Test him out. What could it hurt?
[/quote]

I agree with you 100%... I don't know about Coombs but about the coaching carousel. That is what I said regarding hiring Jones - he's the next up and comer and the AD at UC is continually making that program a stair-step program. Not a destination program.

And, I grew up in Cincy, moved when I was 19, all my family still lives in Cincy, most are UC fans... I can't stand UC - never could. I don't know why necessarily but I always disliked them. That said, I sometimes shake my head and wonder what they're doing continually boosting coach's careers and not building any stability into their program.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='06 January 2010 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1262807697' post='852772']
I agree with you 100%... I don't know about Coombs but about the coaching carousel. That is what I said regarding hiring Jones - he's the next up and comer and the AD at UC is continually making that program a stair-step program. Not a destination program.

And, I grew up in Cincy, moved when I was 19, all my family still lives in Cincy, most are UC fans... I can't stand UC - never could. I don't know why necessarily but I always disliked them. That said, I sometimes shake my head and wonder what they're doing continually boosting coach's careers and not building any stability into their program.
[/quote]

Coombs is on the UC staff as a recruiting specialist. They have other titles for him but that's his real job. He's a local coach that only boasts a high school resume and nobody is willing to promote him here. Its apparent he will be stuck in a cubby hole here for the rest of the time he's here (probably in an effort to hide him so as to keep him longer, ...that never lasts) so its likely at some point he'll move on and we'll lose a talented recruiter for regional prospects and a good coach. Of all the people that have been on our staff for a while, he has local roots, and is loyal to the area. Plus, Coombs had a good record at the lower level so he deserves a chance to be promoted at least higher than his current position.

That said, ...we have Butch Jones and all I can do is cross my fingers he's not another vagabond.

I think we should stop fishing in Michigan and start fishing at home.

[quote name='Jeb' date='06 January 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1262809034' post='852793']
Coombs is on the UC staff as a recruiting specialist. They have other titles for him but that's his real job. He's a local coach that only boasts a high school resume and nobody is willing to promote him here. Its apparent he will be stuck in a cubby hole here for the rest of the time he's here (probably in an effort to hide him so as to keep him longer, ...that never lasts) so its likely at some point he'll move on and we'll lose a talented recruiter for regional prospects and a good coach. Of all the people that have been on our staff for a while, he has local roots, and is loyal to the area. Plus, Coombs had a good record at the lower level so he deserves a chance to be promoted at least higher than his current position.

That said, ...we have Butch Jones and all I can do is cross my fingers he's not another vagabond.

I think we should stop fishing in Michigan and start fishing at home.
[/quote]

I apologize - I said I don't know about Coombs... I do. He coached, very successfully at Colerain. I just meant I don't know about him as a college coach.

His offense he ran at Colerain almost never threw the football - he had some stud running backs and they ran the hell out of it. I just don't know, beyond his Colerain days, his coaching background.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='06 January 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1262809537' post='852799']
I apologize - I said I don't know about Coombs... I do. He coached, very successfully at Colerain. I just meant I don't know about him as a college coach.

His offense he ran at Colerain almost never threw the football - he had some stud running backs and they ran the hell out of it. I just don't know, beyond his Colerain days, his coaching background.
[/quote]

Nobody will promote him. All he does is recruit so he has no college resume except as a recruiter. That won't last. You can't hide a coach forever in a nothing position.

Lets put it this way. UC hired him. Butch Jones didn't bring him in and it doesn't make sense for a college to directly hire a basement level coach unless they had a good reason to do so.

Archived