Undrafted Free Agents

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='27 April 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1272393497' post='884312']
I go with Jeanty over Hodge, a broken leg isnt career threatening or even much at all to worry about.
[/quote]

I don't think its career threatening, but I do think it could effect his speed, which he didn't have a lot of to begin with. Isn't this the second time he's broken it?

I'm just saying it would surprise me if either was the one to go.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='27 April 2010 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1272395922' post='884327']
I don't think its career threatening, but I do think it could effect his speed, which he didn't have a lot of to begin with. Isn't this the second time he's broken it?

I'm just saying it would surprise me if either was the one to go.
[/quote]

Only chance it effects anything is if it doesn't set right and they have to re-break it to get it set right putting his time table for recovery back. That has no real effect on speed except MAYBE the atrophy involved for the muscle which might due to not being able to use it fully while in a cast, but he can train that back up.

Its a broken leg, it really isnt a big deal.

I wont be surprised either, Im just saying I think Jeanty has more of an edge than Hodge does.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='27 April 2010 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1272396220' post='884328']

I wont be surprised either, Im just saying I think Jeanty has more of an edge than Hodge does.
[/quote]

likely correct since Rey, Rivers and Muck can back up MLB. I was going to say age may a part in Hodge's favor but I just checked and I'm shocked to see that Hodge is actually a year older than Jeanty.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='27 April 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1272393151' post='884309']
I don't think Jeanty, coming off a broken leg, is safe either. They love his toughness, but he has limited upside.

Muck will definitely make the team, its just a matter of which one of them he replaces. Considering Muck can play all 3 spots, it could be either one of them.
[/quote]

Yes I agree on Muckelroy making the team.....
he played weakside at Texas and in all probability will shift to MLB with the Bengals as the heir apparent to
Dhani Jones ... leaving Rey Rey at the SAM cuz he's better covering the Tightends...
At least thats what I read ....grain of salt please.. :shrug:

Apparently the Bengals were trying to sign the TE
that said he didn't want to play in the NFL because
he didn't get drafted (Scott Sicko). But he changed
his mind and signed with the Cowboys.

[url="http://www.opposingviews.com/i/so-much-for-his-stand-scott-sicko-signs-with-dallas-cowboys"]http://www.opposingv...-dallas-cowboys[/url]

And the Bengals tried to sign Ohio State TE Jake Ballard too.
But he signed with the Giants.

[url="http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/04/ohio_state_buckeyes_links.html"]http://www.cleveland...eyes_links.html[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='26 April 2010 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1272311936' post='884012']
exactly what I was thinking. If Crocker should go down, I think you may see them just replace him with a corner. Hurts you a little in the run game, but pass D is still strong. Front 7 is strong enough to handle a not as good run D safety in a pinch.
[/quote]

actually Crocker was a corner at one time no??? Ive thought that Morgan Trent or even Ghee could be used in that capacity if need be....
Isnt a FS just a corner with a little less speed and hips??? more north south corners no?

[quote name='sois' date='26 April 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1272335685' post='884138']
Come on Marvin! This crappy dude is better than Harrell?!?!?!
[/quote]

This kid plays in the same conference my son does. He has got one hell of an arm and seems to make good decisions with the ball. For some reason, I think he went to a Big school out of HS, and then transferred back to Ashland after his first year.

[quote name='claptonrocks' date='27 April 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1272402147' post='884350']
actually Crocker was a corner at one time no??? Ive thought that Morgan Trent or even Ghee could be used in that capacity if need be....
Isnt a FS just a corner with a little less speed and hips??? more north south corners no?
[/quote]

yes Crocker broke into the league as a corner.

[quote name='kennethmw' date='27 April 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1272404815' post='884367']
This kid plays in the same conference my son does. He has got one hell of an arm and seems to make good decisions with the ball. For some reason, [b]I think he went to a Big school[/b] out of HS, and then transferred back to Ashland after his first year.
[/quote]

checked, he originally started out at UConn as a freshman.

[b]Bayside High School[/b] product [b]Vincent Rey[/b] got the call from the pros on Saturday as he was signed by the [b]Cincinnati Bengals[/b] on Saturday, April 24. The 240lb linebacker, who played college football at [b]Duke University[/b], impressed Bengals’ coaches during his Pro Day, where players run drills for prospective teams. Most likely a special teams player if he makes the squad, Rey entered his senior season at Duke second among active players in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) with 232 tackles.

[url="http://www.queenscourier.com/articles/2010/04/27/sports/top_stories/doc4bd76342a05fe603215653.txt"]http://www.queenscourier.com/articles/2010/04/27/sports/top_stories/doc4bd76342a05fe603215653.txt[/url]

From the NY Post:

[quote]
[b]Rey ready to chase NFL dream in earnest
[/b]Former Bayside star begins rookie mini-camp with Cincinnati Bengals on Friday

Vinny Rey’s commute from Far Rockaway to Bayside HS was long and winding. It included an hour apiece on the J train and Q31 bus.
To keep from boredom, he day-dreamed about his future as a football player and talked to friends about one day making it big in the NFL.
“All you used to talk about was football,” his former teammates have told him.
Now they know why.
Sunday, the Cincinnati Bengals signed Rey, the former Bayside all-city middle linebacker and Duke University standout, to a free-agent contract.
“It’s exciting,” the 6-foot, 240-pounder said. “I’m closer than I’ve ever been.”
Those close to him aren’t surprised. Duke coach David Cutcliffe lauded Rey for his leadership skills, improved anticipation and tackling ability. A scholar-athlete, two-time captain and second team All-ACC selection as a senior, he led the Blue Devils with 98 tackles and finished his career with 330 stops, 28 tackles for a loss and three interceptions.
At Bayside, he was a stellar four-year player, the linchpin to one of the city’s best defenses. He guided the Commodores to the quarterfinals his senior year.
“If he would’ve played in the deep south or Texas, he would’ve had multiple Division I offers, he had that kind of ability,” former Bayside coach and current athletic director Joe Capuana said. “If I could have one Vinny Rey every year, maybe I’d still be coaching.”
Rey, indeed, had limited offers following his senior year at Bayside. Duke got involved late, but had run out of scholarships. Hofstra was interested, but Rey wanted to prove he could compete at the highest level, so he went to prep school for a year at Mercersburg Academy, although he had the grades and the physical gifts to be at a Division I school that year.
He leaves Duke in far better shape than when he got there -- the Blue Devils were 1-10 the year before his arrival, had four wins last season and five this fall.
Both coaches expect him to be successful at the next level because of his ability, but also the intangibles the affable Rey brings. He has a high football IQ, not to mention the sociology major has a 3.26 GPA. Cutcliffe talked about what a pleasure it was to be around Rey for two years, how his presence alone would brighten up a room.
“As good of a leader I’ve been around,” Cutcliffe said.
Capuana had similarly effusive praise. Once Rey’s name was brought up, the former coach spoke uninterrupted for close to a minute. Rey is still talked about around the Bayside football program, even by players who never crossed pathes with him, that know him only by reputation.
“He’s gonna make players around him better, he’s gonna make people around him better,” Capuana said. “He’s the kind of person you want to be around. The NFL has faster players, bigger players, but they're not gonna find players that have his heart and desire. He’s gonna make it, no doubt in my mind.”
Cutcliffe was disappointed Rey wasn’t invited to the NFL Combine, particularly after he posted eye-popping numbers at Duke’s Pro Day. The coach thinks NFL scouts dropped the ball on Rey, that they dismissed him and it was too late in the process for someone to select him.
“I really believe he’ll make their squad,” he said of the Bengals.
Rey said he doesn’t mind, albeit with a hint of disappointment in his voice. After all, he flies to Cincinnati on Thursday and begins rookie mini-camp Friday. The next stage of his life begins, an opportunity he always wanted.
“When it comes down to it, I’m glad I have a shot,” he said. “A lot of people don’t have a shot. … I’m gonna try to be the best I can be on every snap, every rep I get in practice. Whether it’s working on pass coverage, stopping the run, special teams, whatever I have to do I’m gonna work on to get on the field.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/rey_ready_for_to_chase_nfl_dream_PpMXiBa4UyeyRuR26HPW7O#ixzz0mUOWAtPw
[/quote]

Can someone twitter Bernard Scott and tell him to lobby the team? This guy would be a great guard to groom for LT, and he's just sitting at home...

[quote][b]Richards: Ex-ACU lineman still waiting for call from pros[/b]

Tony Washington watched the NFL draft for three days, waiting for his name to be called.

It never happened.

The two-time NCAA Division II All-American at Abilene Christian offensive tackle at least expected the phone to ring soon after the draft, with an NFL team ready to offer him a free-agent deal. As of Tuesday, that call had yet to come.

Washington was diplomatic about the lack of interest. Well, at least at first.

"I understand, though," he said. "Some things people can't let go, you know?"

Those things that people can't let go involve his past. In May 2003, when he was 16, Washington was convicted of having sex with his 15-year-old biological sister. He said the sex was consensual. Washington, who grew up in New Orleans, didn't serve any jail time but he received five years probation.

He has to register as a sex offender wherever he lives for the rest of his life.

Washington believes that decision as a 16-year-old is the only reason NFL teams shied away from him

"Yeah, I do believe that's what it's all about," he said. "But I can't do anything about it. I'm just sitting around waiting on a phone call."

It seems hard to believe the 6-foot-7, 305-pound Washington still is waiting for that phone to ring. He did well enough at the NFL combine that some folks were talking about him being a second-round pick. Now, nothing.

West Texas A&M offensive tackle J'Marcus Webb didn't even get invited to the combine but he was taken in the seventh and final round by the Chicago Bears. By most accounts, Washington was considered the better prospect. But the 6-8, 328-pound Webb had less baggage.

Ironically, had Washington beaten somebody up, well, that would probably be OK. There are plenty of NFL athletes who had past histories of violence and questionable behavior. Yet they got a chance to play in the NFL.

Even Washington's former teammate at ACU, Bernard Scott, had minor run-ins with the law and once even got in an off-campus fight that led to his suspension from athletics at Vernon High School. Another fight got him kicked off the team at Central Arkansas.

But he made the most of a second chance at ACU, and his past didn't scare away the Cincinnati Bengals, who drafted him last season.

And yet what Washington did when he was 16 scared away 32 NFL teams? That is not to say what Washington did was OK, but he was just a kid at the time, and he hasn't shown any pattern of violence or bad behavior since. So what gives?

ACU coach Chris Thomsen believes it's all about appearances. He said NFL teams don't want to undergo the media scrutiny they'd get drafting or signing a convicted sex offender. Never mind that Washington isn't what most people would consider your typical sex offender.

"It's just purely a public relations issue," he said. "It had nothing to do with his ability. The teams don't want to have to deal with the scrutiny that comes with that from the media. We're living in a time where the media has to be in every facet of a public figure's life. Teams don't want to deal with that. They don't want to have to answer to why they have a registered sex offender on the team."

That's not to say NFL teams weren't interested in Washington. He said Buffalo had shown interest before the draft. The Bills, though, haven't called since. They ended up signing Texas A&M-Kingsville offensive lineman Jorge Guerra to a free-agent deal.

Midwestern State offensive lineman Mark Hanson also signed as a free agent deal with Minnesota. Neither Guerra nor Hanson were invited to the combine or were even mentioned as possible draft picks by reliable sources.

In fact, NFL scouting guru Gil Brandt listed 14 offensive linemen on his list of the best available players not drafted -- only three of them weren't offered free-agent deals, including Washington. And one of those guys was offered a tryout.

So you can understand why Washington feels like he was yanked around by the NFL.

"My whole thing was if you knew you weren't going to draft me, then don't bring me to the combine, don't invite me to all these all-star games, don't put so much into me," he said. "Now, all of a sudden all 32 teams aren't interested?"

Washington was certain he would be drafted -- or at least offered a free-agent deal. He couldn't believe that call hasn't come.

"I'm a whole lot surprised," he said. "I'm disappointed. God's going to take care of whatever He's going to take care. I believe he's going to take care of me. I have faith in him, and that's it. So I'm just sitting around, really. I can't feel anything right now. I just have to work hard and keep going."

Thomsen believes Washington will be playing football somewhere next season, though not likely in the NFL.

"It's unfortunate for him," he said. "But there's time for him to get an opportunity. There's other leagues in football. He's worked hard, and hopefully he'll get an opportunity to keep playing."

Washington's dream is to play in the NFL. He even has a NFL tattoo on one of his arms. But if the NFL doesn't come calling, he expects to get offers from both the United Football League and the Canadian Football League. And he's willing to go that route if that's what it takes to eventually get into the NFL.

"The NFL is my dream," he said. "If I have to take another long road to get there, then I have to take another long road to get there."
[/quote]

[quote name='alleycat' date='29 April 2010 - 07:09 AM' timestamp='1272542985' post='884792']
Can someone twitter Bernard Scott and tell him to lobby the team? This guy would be a great guard to groom for LT, and he's just sitting at home...

[/quote]

Bernard Scott deleted his Twitter and his blog a long time ago.

It is unfortunate that Washington isn't getting a shot anywhere.
But I can certainly understand why teams are shying away.

[quote]joereedy

RT @NCCUAthletics: NCCU senior offensive lineman Gabriel Manns has signed a free agent contract with the Bengals.[/quote]

6'6" 305 lbs North Carolina Central

played Left Tackle

[quote]CAREER (2005-09)

Played in all 46 games during his gridiron career at North Carolina Central University (2005-06, '08-09). Started in 44 of 46 games, only missing starts in 2006 season due to injury and to allow a senior teammate to start on Senior Day.

2009 - SENIOR SEASON

Starting left tackle for the Eagles in all 11 games as a third-year program playing NCAA Division I-FCS competition. Lined up against the likes of FBS foe Duke, three-time national champion Appalachian State and nationally-ranked Liberty. Selected to participate in two postseason all-star football games - the ninth annual East Coast Bowl (Nov. 28, 2009 in Petersburg, Va.) and the inaugural Russell Athletic HBCU Bowl (Dec. 19 in Montgomery, Ala.). Named to All-Independent Team by Phil Steele's 2009 College Football Preview magazine.

2008 - JUNIOR SEASON

After sitting out 2007 campaign, returned as the starting left tackle in all 11 games for the Eagles in their second season of NCAA Division I-FCS competition.

2006 - SOPHOMORE SEASON

Starting left guard for the Eagles in 10 of 12 games. Missed one start due to injury and another because a senior teammate was being recognized on Senior Day. Team posted an undefeated 11-0 regular-season record to repeat as Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Champions and earn recognition as the Black College National Champions. Team earned the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Division II regional playoffs, before losing in the second round.

2005 - FRESHMAN SEASON

Started all 12 games for the Eagles at the left guard position. Average grade of 84.4 percent. Team posted a record of 10-2, capturing the program's first conference championship in 25 years and advancing to the NCAA Division II playoffs for the first time since 1988.

EAST FORSYTH HIGH SCHOOL

Named all-conference honorable mention and second-team all-region.

PERSONAL

Born December 9, 1986, in Detroit, Michigan, to Adora and Fredrick Manns. Hometown is Winston-Salem, N.C. Exercise Sports Science major at NCCU.[/quote]

http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/manns_gabriel00.html

sounds like they came across him while they were at the Duke Pro Day

[quote]Nov. 25, 2009

DURHAM, N.C. - North Carolina Central University senior offensive lineman Gabriel Manns has been selected to participate in two postseason all-star football games - the ninth annual East Coast Bowl on Nov. 28 in Petersburg, Va., and the inaugural Russell Athletic HBCU Bowl on Dec. 19 in Montgomery, Ala.

Manns, a 6-6, 320-pound native of Winston-Salem, N.C. (East Forsyth H.S.), was a four-year starter at offensive tackle for NCCU (2005-06, 2008-09), including the Eagles' back-to-back CIAA Championship seasons in 2005 and 2006.

On Nov. 28, Manns will suit up to play in the ninth annual East Coast Bowl at Historic Cameron Field in Petersburg, Va. Kickoff is set for 12 noon. The East Coast Bowl, presented by Container First Services and sponsored by the City of Petersburg and the National Football Foundation, is a game designed for Division I-FCS, II, III and NAIA draft-eligible seniors from across the Mid-Atlantic region. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the gate. For ticket information, visit www.PetersburgSports.com.

On Dec. 19 at 2 p.m., the Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Ala., will host the inaugural Russell Athletic HBCU Senior Bowl. The game, sponsored by Russell Athletic, The City of Montgomery and Synergy Sports & Associates, Inc., will consist of draft-eligible seniors representing the SWAC/SIAC (West Team) and the MEAC/CIAA (East Team). [/quote]

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nccu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3964993.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112509aaa.html&usg=__umMJXWDGTejVUZW8k6MKOwwoOmQ=&h=250&w=150&sz=37&hl=en&start=2&sig2=LNTMl4qnTjpyUcaRvHMR9w&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=fo3viRq4TrzEAM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=67&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522Gabriel%2BManns%2522%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1C1CHNY_enUS368US368%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=mM_ZS8qHO5butgOl0oVh

[img]http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nccu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3964993.jpeg[/img]

[b][size="5"]Teams are reluctant to give Tony Washington a shot[/size][/b]
[size="4"][b]Tackle admitted to sexual relations with his sister seven years ago as a teenager[/b][/size]
Aaron Wilson

April 29, 2010, 06:53 PM EST

The skeletons in the past of Abilene Christian offensive tackle Tony Washington are still haunting him.

A past transgression of a sexual nature has left him unemployed by NFL teams after going undrafted.

Here's why Washington went undrafted and remains unsigned after being projected as a second-round talent by NFL scouts: As a 16-year-old growing up in New Orleans, Washington was convicted of having consensual sex with his biological sister.

He served two weeks in jail, was given five weeks of probation and had to register in Texas as a sex offender.

"I'm in [url="http://www.cnbc.com/id/36856719"]complete shock[/url]," Washington's agent, Vann McElroy, told CNBC.com "I feel so bad for this kid. This is something that happened seven years ago and, probably because of the Roethlisberger situation, he hasn't been called.

"We spent hours of our time, providing letters, testimonials from people to tell this kid's story. It isn't like he's some pervert hanging around in the bushes. He's a good kid who screwed up, who since then was accepted by the board and admitted to one of the most conservative colleges out there."

League sources have repeatedly told National Football Post that Washington is a very good football prospect. Their hesitation to sign him or give him a tryout isn't only because of the anticipated negative media attention he would bring to the franchise, but also because of the fear that he would affect the locker room chemistry or be ostracized by teammates.

"I can only imagine what it would be like for him as far as how he would be treated by the other players," an NFL source told NFP. "A smaller media market would be the best fit for him. He can definitely play, but you're putting a lot on the line to give him a shot."

Per the report, McElroy said that four teams indicated that they wouldn't draft Washington.

"Other than that, all I heard was, 'Maybe we can't take him early because of the publicity, but we'd consider him in the later rounds,'" he said.

Prior to the draft, Washington [url="http://www.sportsfanlive.com/sflreports/entry/sportsfanlive_com_exclusive_lineman_s"]acknowledged what happened[/url] between him and his sister in a statement to SportsFanLive.com.

"I made a mistake at the age of 16, and for that, I am deeply sorry," Washington said. "I will not try and excuse or justify anything. I have worked extremely hard to do everything right so that I might have an opportunity to give back. I only hope that someone in the NFL will give me the same opportunity that Abilene Christian and Trinity Valley gave me."

Per SportsFanLive.com, which includes a screen shot of Washington's sex offender registry, Washington's sister was 15 years old at the time of the sexual relations.

Washington, who posted a 9-6 broad jump and the sixth-best time in the three-cone drill, is 6-foot-7, 300 pounds and was an All-American at Division II Abilene Christian. He was named the Lone Star South Division Offensive Player of the Year twice and was a finalist for the Gene Upshaw award as the top Division II lineman in the nation.

Per the report, Washington is a devout Christian now who attended daily chapel sessions at Abilene Christian.

He hasn't been in trouble since the incident with his sister as a teenager.

At least one NFL scout told SportsFanLive.com that he remains skeptical about Washington.

"I worry about this kid. Whether it's that again or something else, he has a history of serious problems," the scout said. "What disturbs me is that I don't know if he sees anything wrong with it. He said where he comes from, this kind of thing happens all the time. I don't think he's at all ready for the rejection he's about to face once people find out."

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Teams-are-reluctant-to-give-Tony-Washington-a-shot.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Teams-are-reluctant-to-give-Tony-Washington-a-shot.html[/url]

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='29 April 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1272594642' post='885045']
They thought about it, but his sister resembles Antwan Odom...and well....that's just not acceptable any where.
[/quote]

Be kind of awkward to make sure all your charity events are 500 yards from a school or park.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='30 April 2010 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1272637837' post='885163']
Be kind of awkward to make sure all your charity events are 500 yards from a school or park.
[/quote]

that's whats probably killing his chances the most. Not that its ok what he did, but he'd probably be on a team right now had they not registered him as a sex offender.

Archived