American students kicked off campus for wearing American flag shirts

BengalRep85-9

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='06 May 2010 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1273167422' post='886573']
Text story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179?GT1=43001

Video:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803

Wow.
[/quote]

I read about this earlier today. That administrator should be fired.

Common sense is sorely lacking in our education system at practically every juncture.

Between idiot parents, Washington dictating rote testing instead of useful knowledge, and the college of "education" at any university being the intellectual slum of academia I'm just not surprised...

I'd wager the though process of the administrator was something like: what can I do that will cause the least amount of problems? I'm fucked regardelss, let's go for broke. Remove US flag apparel.

I think wrapping one's self in a flag (be it clothing or a fucking flag lapel pin) is a hollow gesture and an insult all US citizens as well as to the flag itself. So I'm all for the kids being sent home.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 May 2010 - 07:51 AM' timestamp='1273243919' post='886801']
Does anyone really believe they werent trying to do a little stick poking?
[/quote]

That's all they were trying to do. Don't know why though. One day when they're older, they will realize that you can turn most events into a good excuse for partying.

[quote name='CincyInDC' date='07 May 2010 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1273240809' post='886786']
I think wrapping one's self in a flag (be it clothing or a fucking flag lapel pin) is a hollow gesture and an insult all US citizens as well as to the flag itself. So I'm all for the kids being sent home.
[/quote]

Just the Kids showing Patriotism to the country that they are in, or the ones showing pride in the culture their parents left behind?

I mean, if we are going to start sending kids home for having flags on their shirts, then send 'em all home. But- to be in THIS country, and to seperate kids wearing the US flag and penalize them, is downright shameful. If that guy is so ashamed of the flag, then maybe he ought to move the fuck out of this country.

And I really dont understand why you think it is a hollow gesture or an insult for anyone ever to wear a US flag of some sort. Thats your opinion, it just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Then again, I'm a veteran that has sacrificed for the country and am exceptionally proud of the US and the opportunities it affords not only its citizens, but legal immigrants (and some illegals as well). There is a lot to proud of, and would never criticise anyone for showing their patriotism to our country, while IN our country.

[quote name='big_dish' date='07 May 2010 - 07:55 AM' timestamp='1273244133' post='886804']
Just the Kids showing Patriotism to the country that they are in, or the ones showing pride in the culture their parents left behind?

I mean, if we are going to start sending kids home for having flags on their shirts, then send 'em all home. But- to be in THIS country, and to seperate kids wearing the US flag and penalize them, is downright shameful. If that guy is so ashamed of the flag, then maybe he ought to move the fuck out of this country.

And I really dont understand why you think it is a hollow gesture or an insult for anyone ever to wear a US flag of some sort. Thats your opinion, it just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Then again, I'm a veteran that has sacrificed for the country and am exceptionally proud of the US and the opportunities it affords not only its citizens, but legal immigrants (and some illegals as well). There is a lot to proud of, and would never criticise anyone for showing their patriotism to our country, while IN our country.
[/quote]

Um, protesting Cinco de Mayo is like wearing pants on No Pants Day (which is incidentally today). The only "message" you send is that you don't even know what the day means.

[quote name='sois' date='07 May 2010 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1273244364' post='886805']
Um, protesting Cinco de Mayo is like wearing pants on No Pants Day (which is incidentally today). The only "message" you send is that you don't even know what the day means.
[/quote]

It's times like these where I wish I still worked in an office as opposed to a cubical. Sadly I cant celebrate. :(

Oh, I dont know if it was protesting Cinco De Mayo though, I think if it was a statement at all, it would be "Proud to be an American" - which doesnt specify race. I dont know. Either way, you dont send kids home for wearing the American Flag on any day, period.

I personally love Cinco De Mayo. I dislike the French in general so its awesome they got beat, but its just a fun day. People are usually in good moods, bars are much more fun. I bought a case of Corona's for my office to drink towards the end of the work day.

[quote name='big_dish' date='07 May 2010 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1273245552' post='886815']
Oh, I dont know if it was protesting Cinco De Mayo though, I think if it was a statement at all, it would be "Proud to be an American" - which doesnt specify race. I dont know. Either way, you dont send kids home for wearing the American Flag on any day, period.

I personally love Cinco De Mayo. I dislike the French in general so its awesome they got beat, but its just a fun day. People are usually in good moods, bars are much more fun. I bought a case of Corona's for my office to drink towards the end of the work day.
[/quote]

There are hundreds of other days to wear the American flag. If this is the only day of they year they wear American flag apparel, then they are simply being douches.

I also love 5 de Mayo. I pretty much love all holidays. Even Canadian ones.

One of the guys that works for me is Mexican, and on Cinco De Mayo (before this story hit) he was telling me about how funny it is that Americans make such a big deal out of Cinco De Mayo, but very few Mexicans celebrate it at all. Its almost like a hallmark holiday here, for people to drink and a few people to celebrate their heritage.

Question- what would happen if some dude wore a tshirt with a British flag or Jamaican flag on it on the 4th of July?
Answer- Nothing. Nothing would happen.

[quote name='big_dish' date='07 May 2010 - 11:55 AM' timestamp='1273247738' post='886821']
One of the guys that works for me is Mexican, and on Cinco De Mayo (before this story hit) he was telling me about how funny it is that Americans make such a big deal out of Cinco De Mayo, but very few Mexicans celebrate it at all. Its almost like a hallmark holiday here, for people to drink and a few people to celebrate their heritage.

Question- what would happen if some dude wore a tshirt with a British flag or Jamaican flag on it on the 4th of July?
Answer- Nothing. Nothing would happen.
[/quote]

Question: Do you really believe that those kids weren't trying to poke a hornets nest? (If you believe they weren't then with all due respect I think your naive.)

Especially after they were told not to wear it...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/05/students-booted-from-school-for-wearing-american-flag-tshirts.html

[quote]Sure, it all makes sense.
Why should American kids be allowed to wear T-shirts with the American flag printed on them in America?

Thankfully one high school administrator was equally outraged and sent the offenders home for it.

Five kids attending Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., decided to wear patriotic clothing (T-shirts and bandannas with the American flag on them) on Cinco de Mayo. Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez told them that the clothing was inappropriate for the holiday and to ditch the bandannas and turn their shirts inside out or go home.

The kids chose option B. And now the town of Morgan Hill finds itself in the middle of a controversy.

One of the students, Daniel Galli, said school officials told him they could wear their patriotic garb any other day, but "but today is sensitive to Mexican Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

That's what Annicia Nunez, another Live Oak High student, thinks: "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

The school district seems to be wincing at the whole affair releasing a statement Thursday explaining that they "don't prohibit nor do we discourage wearing patriotic clothing."

"The incident on May 5 at Live Oak High School is extremely unfortunate," the statement reads. "While campus safety is our primary concern and administrators made decisions yesterday in an attempt to ensure campus safety, students should not, and will not, be disciplined for wearing patriotic clothing. This matter is under investigation and appropriate action will be taken."

Meanwhile, the issue has erupted in the blogosphere.

"What country is Morgan Hill in again?" asks conservative blogger Conn Carroll. "When Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day or Columbus Day, don’t we always see American flags flying right along side Irish and Italian ones? Why are the Mexican Americans at Live Oak High so insulted by the flag of the country that they live in? Do they not consider themselves Americans first?

Progressives might disagree with Carroll. They may argue that the students' actions fly in the face of all President Obama has done to apologize to the rest of the world for our country.

Like film critic Roger Ebert. He has a solution.

"Kids who wear American Flag T-shirts on 5 May should have to share a lunchroom table with those who wear a hammer and sickle on 4 July," he tweeted.[/quote]

With all due respect, I dont give a shit. This is America, and if Americans want to wear an American Flag symbol on any damn day of the year then they can. Hornets Nest or not. The pussification of America continues. Anyone who would bitch about that needs to toughen the fuck up and mind their own damn business- and be happy they live in a country where they have a choice and an opportunity. The school ditrict agrees and was upset before this story even hit the major news wire.

And what is Obama apologizing to the rest of the world for? All the money we've sent to them in the name of charity and relief? Importing all of their cheaply made made items while creating industry in their countries? Building schools, and sending computers to third world countries to try to give a few of their kids a shot at something better (something way too many people here take for granted)? I mean, what kind of apology to we owe to the ENTIRE world? I know we have foreign policies which some people dont like, but we have been supporting hundreds of disadvantaged countries way longer than any war on terrorism has been going on. Lots of ungrateful little bastards out there and in this country. Its unfortunate. Our country does far more to help people than ANY other country in the world. BY FAR.

BTW, nowhere does it say that they were told in advance to leave their Americanism at home that day. I sure as hell wouldnt turn my shirt, bearing my flag, inside out. What a shameful request by a man obviously not grateful for the opportunity this country has provided for him.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 May 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1273250058' post='886834']
lol wow
[/quote]

Why do you even live here? Seriously. You have an issue with every single thing that defines our country, and all you do is want to turn it into a socialized society. You obviously arent proud to be an American, or ignorantly overlook all the good that our country offers and provides... Why dont you move dude?

[quote name='big_dish' date='07 May 2010 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1273250234' post='886837']
Why do you even live here? Seriously. You have an issue with every single thing that defines our country, and all you do is want to turn it into a socialized society. You obviously arent proud to be an American, or ignorantly overlook all the good that our country offers and provides... Why dont you move dude?
[/quote]

And there it is...

[quote name='big_dish' date='07 May 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1273250093' post='886835']
BTW, nowhere does it say that they were told in advance to leave their Americanism at home that day. I sure as hell wouldnt turn my shirt, bearing my flag, inside out. What a shameful request by a man obviously not grateful for the opportunity this country has provided for him.
[/quote]

Reading is fundamental.

[quote]One of the students, Daniel Galli, said [size="6"]school officials told him they could wear their patriotic garb any other day[/size], but "but today is sensitive to Mexican Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 May 2010 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1273250655' post='886839']
Reading is fundamental.
[/quote]

Your reading comprehension lacks. They were told that when they were approached by the Vice Principle that day, likely 5 hours + after the school day started.

[quote name='big_dish' date='07 May 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1273250815' post='886841']
Your reading comprehension lacks. They were told that when they were approached by the Vice Principle that day, likely 5 hours + after the school day started.
[/quote]

Actually it doesnt say one way or the other ..

Archived