The Chickster gets "knifed" again.

[b][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2010/10/15/this-isnt-goodbye-just-catch-ya-later/"][size="5"]This isn't goodbye, just catch ya later[/size][/url] [/b]
Posted by [email="chickludwig@yahoo.com"]cludwig[/email] October 15th, 2010, 3:12 pm

I'd like to take a moment and thank the Gannett Company, Inc., [i]The Cincinnati Enquirer[/i] and Cincinnati.com — particularly my boss, Nick Hurm — for giving me this great opportunity.

But more than anything else, I'd like to thank my loyal readers for allowing me to be your semi-guilty pleasure. It's been a blast, a fun ride, a gas-gas-gas.

The practice laps I took in a Camaro Z-28 Pace Car at the Indianapolis 500 some years ago were exciting, but they were nothing like the thrills, chills and spills I've experienced "Typing Away" the past calendar year.

Following my Oct. 1, 2009, retirement from the [i]Dayton Daily News[/i], I reached agreement on a one-year contract to join the Cincinnati.Com Blog Network.

The deal was struck on a weekday morning over breakfast — an Egg McMuffin, hash browns and coffee — at the Middletown McDonald's.

Enquirer copy editor and close friend Suzette Winner shipped me a four-word E-mail: "Let the belligerence begin."

Well, folks, it's like this:

The awesomeness, intensity and belligerence that marked "Typing Away With Chick Ludwig" has come to an end.

I often use the term "knifed" when a Cincinnati Bengals player gets terminated, released or waived. Now the time has come for "The Chickster" to get knifed.

My contract is up, and I haven't been renewed. The economy has claimed yet another victim. So this is my final entry for the Cincinnati.com Blog Network.

I'd like to think my specialty is the written and spoken word. And all I ever wanted to do was offer opinion, insight and analysis on the Cincinnati Bengals, and bring a little levity to your day. Hopefully, 397 blog entries and 1.4 million page views are signs I made a dent, if not a smidgen of difference, in your daily life.

My immediate plan: Fire up a Hav-A-Tampa sweet jewel, sip a glass of Rolling Rock, take a nap and prep for my Sunday, Oct. 17, speech at the Maketewah Country Club Caddie Banquet (cocktails 5:30, dinner 6:30).

Come Monday morning, I'll lace up my "Chucks" — my Chuck Taylor Converse All Star sneaks — and start pounding the pavement.

I will remain a substitute teacher, Bengals correspondent for Sporting News, writer for PressProsMagazine.com, OHSAA-certified volleyball referee, ASA registered fast-pitch softball umpire, assistant caddy master at The Moraine Country Club, Cincinnati Bengals historian and motivational speaker (Psst! Rates Reasonable!).

I'd cry, but I don't have time. And I don't feel like dying. Like the outlaw Josey Wales said, "Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."

And so, until next time, this is The Chickster saying:[i] "Make love, not war; give peace a chance; and strawberry fields forever."

[/i][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2010/10/15/this-isnt-goodbye-just-catch-ya-later/"]http://cincinnati.co...catch-ya-later/[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1287284641' post='931346']
I'm no Chick fan, but is pretty sad to mock anyone for losing their job these days.
[/quote]

Amen to that.
It has happened to me and I am sure any number of other people on the board, too.
He probably has a family to think about, too.
Around here he became the man we loved to hate. Personally, I did not think him much
better or worse than any number of people out there.
Not so bad if the person knows they can land somewhere (say a Bengals coach or two, even Al Roberts ended up with a job)
but the mocking is pretty bush.
Kicking him while he is down.

Good luck, Chick.
Hope you find something soon.
Something better.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1287427769' post='931728']
You have to admire the confidence he has in himself.........he says "the economy has claimed another victim" like his horrible articles had nothing to do with it.
[/quote]

x2.

an average hack in a declining media format. He can claim the economy, but if your job segment is in decline and you're not in the top half if it, better start thinking about a new career field. Perhaps steamship mechanic, how'd you liket that stud?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1287284641' post='931346']
I'm no Chick fan, but is pretty sad to mock anyone for losing their job these days.
[/quote]

acording to him, he's got about 6 other gigs going

[b]I will remain a substitute teacher, Bengals correspondent for Sporting News, writer for PressProsMagazine.com, OHSAA-certified volleyball referee, ASA registered fast-pitch softball umpire, assistant caddy master at The Moraine Country Club, Cincinnati Bengals historian and motivational speaker (Psst! Rates Reasonable!).[/b]

so it's not really like he's on the streets broke with no job

plus dude is pretty old.......if he was smart he'd have saved and invested well for his later years such as these

and even if that wasn't the case, nothing wrong with pointing and laughing at him for it...the job he lost he was terrible at....when you suck at your job you deserve to lose it......not get sympathy from over sentimental folks

I think everyone here that is a bit disturbed that someone is getting mocked for losing their job is under the assumption that he lost the job due to the economy and not because he sucked at his job.

I don't think that is a safe assumption.

If someone is really bad at their job, it isn't their employers responsibility to keep them employed and it is the employees' responsibilty to find a job they can succeed at.

If Chick had spent half as much time trying to legitimately write as he spent being 'The Chickster,' he might have been able to extend his time at the Enquirer... You'd think a guy covering Chad would have avoided such a mistake.

Archived