Andre Smith breaks same foot, could be out for year

Guys, he broke a bone in his foot. His conditioning had nothing to do with it, and his weight has very little to do with it. He appears to have fragile bones in his feet, so unless one of you has a "instant calcium delivery" system that you can recommend, there is not a lot that can be done, except fixing them properly by surgery.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1289585664' post='940301']
Guys, he broke a bone in his foot. His conditioning had nothing to do with it, and his weight has very little to do with it. He appears to have fragile bones in his feet, so unless one of you has a "instant calcium delivery" system that you can recommend, there is not a lot that can be done, except fixing them properly by surgery.
[/quote]

"except fixing them properly by surgery"...................by the Bengal doctors?............. :24:

Andre Smith, who was in the locker room before practice. Smith said there is no timetable on if he will have surgery on his broken left foot and that they are assessing all options before making a decision. Judging that it took seven weeks for Smith to come back from the last time he broke his foot, his season is over.Smith did say though that he will handle this round of rehab better than the last time. He will stay in Cincinnati the entire time instead of being here some of the time. The biggest decision now is whether or not he will have surgery or let it heal on its own.

“I’m still going to be with the team, still going to meetings and learning the offense inside and out so that when I return I am clicking on all eight cylinders,” Smith said on Friday in the locker room. “I’m going to make sure I handle my business. Make sure I’m on a great nutritional diet and rehab the proper way.”

Smith said that when the injury happened on Wednesday, he was hoping that it was just his shoelace that popped. However after Smith took his shoe off, he realized it was worse.

In the three starts since winning the right tackle spot, Smith was starting to make progress. His first half last Monday against Pittsburgh was the best he had played.

“It was a little disappointing. I was doing well and working on technique,” Smith said. “Just to have that happen was a blow. It’s not a block in the road but a bump.”

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/12/friday-notes-palmer-practices-smith-disappointed/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/12/friday-notes-palmer-practices-smith-disappointed/[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1289680140' post='940549']
Andre Smith to IR, Rico Murray back.
[/quote]

looking into my crystal ball, rico will probably be deactivated monday when odom gains eligibility...and that's a good thing. we need to see what odom has for next year (if nothing else).

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1289535700' post='940136']
Oher has been getting owned tonight, and he's has a huge edge in experience on Smith... From what I see tonight Oher was nowhere near worth a #6 pick
[/quote]

Eh, at least he can consistently get on the field.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289536982' post='940152']
but we don't know what would have transpired with a 30 day holdout being a part of mike oher's career. i think it would be safe to say that he'd be a lesser player than the one you watched tonight. who knows how badly that would have affected his career. and for all we know, the player and agent might have held out for a longer period than 30 days.
[/quote]
Too true. I often wonder how much stunting of growth a player has coming into their rookie season after a lengthy holdout. And Andre's seemed particularly dumb because I believe that (AFAICT) they ended up pretty much signing a deal very close to the one that the Bengals had initially offered in the first place. Could be wrong about that. Mike Brown does need to do a better job getting his 1st rounders into camp on time. We have too many long holdouts.

[quote name='BFIH' timestamp='1289555865' post='940172']
There's a reason that Andre Smith slipped way down on the draft board and nobody to blame for that but Andre Smith. If you want to argue we were dumb to gamble on him, I won't argue, but who pushed for Smith? Was it really Mike Brown or was it the Bengals coaching staff?

I don't see anything in Mike Brown's history indicating any overwhelming desire to draft offensive linemen in the first round - Mikey loves skill players not big bodies -- so I tend to think it had to be someone on Marvin's staff who just had to have Andre Smith despite the lousy shape he was in when he worked out driving away almost every other team in the NFL.
[/quote]

Being picked at #6 when you were projected initially to go in the top 3 isn't really "slipping way down the draft board".

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1289585664' post='940301']
Guys, he broke a bone in his foot. [b]His conditioning had nothing to do with it, and his weight has very little to do with it.[/b] He appears to have fragile bones in his feet, so unless one of you has a "instant calcium delivery" system that you can recommend, there is not a lot that can be done, except fixing them properly by surgery.
[/quote]

Complete utter nonsense. Weight and conditioning have everything to do with it. Gee, I wonder why obese people all seem to have foot problems? Oh, it just must be genetics. Really, where the hell do you come up with this BS,... Mike Brown's office?

Almost ALL long term foot problems are due to weight. I have a very good friend who is a foot surgeon. His favorite quote is "Fat Bastards paid for my BMW and my house". He loves fat people. How many skinny people have you seen in the electric shopping carts at Kroger?

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1289701735' post='940615']
Complete utter nonsense. Weight and conditioning have everything to do with it. Gee, I wonder why obese people all seem to have foot problems? Oh, it just must be genetics. Really, where the hell do you come up with this BS,... Mike Brown's office?

Almost ALL long term foot problems are due to weight. I have a very good friend who is a foot surgeon. His favorite quote is "Fat Bastards paid for my BMW and my house". He loves fat people. How many skinny people have you seen in the electric shopping carts at Kroger?
[/quote]

just for the halibut, and since he's a very good friend, why don't you ask him his opinion about andre's smith situation...the relationship with his holdout to the original injury and then the current one, then share that with us. i'd be very interested to hear his input.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289702717' post='940619']
just for the halibut, and since he's a very good friend, why don't you ask him his opinion about andre's smith situation...the relationship with his holdout to the original injury and then the current one, then share that with us. i'd be very interested to hear his input.
[/quote]

I doubt that Andre signed his contract knowing he was damaged goods.

But at the same point I dont doubt that andre has chronic foot problems cause of his weight.

Dude needs to lose some LBs no matter what way you put it.

[quote]Being picked at #6 when you were projected initially to go in the top 3 isn't really "slipping way down the draft board"[/quote]

I stand corrected. We'll never know where Smith would have gone in the draft if the Bengals hadn't taken him. Still any 1st round, $5 million/year guy that isn't a clear cut starter after 2 seasons in the NFL amounts to a bust whether by injury or whatever other measure you want to assign and I'll say again - I don't see Mike Brown being the guy wanting an offensive lineman bad enough to pay him top money unless his coaching staff were practically drooling every time the guys name was mentioned.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289702717' post='940619']
[/quote]
He basically told me foot size and weight are the key factors as well as conditioning.

The holdout probably had nothing to do with it. It has to do with weight, foot size and conditioning. Just because you hold out doesn't mean you show up out of shape or overweight.

O and D lineman and big basketball players aka Shaq and Yao Ming put tremendous stress on their feet and ankles because of their size. Shaq didn't start to have foot problems until he got fat. He entered the league at 7'1" and 315. He has huge feet (23) so the amount of stress on his feet was fairly normal. When he started showing up to camp at 370lbs however, it put tremendous stress on his feet given his job description. Yao Ming has the opposite problem. He has kept himself in good shape but his shoe size is only an 18. Sounds big but for someone his size and weight he has small feet which means he puts much more stress on them. Its all about surface area.

Smith was not in shape when he showed up for pro day. We have all seen the tape and the numbers he put up that day were poor. He did ok on the bench but did poorly on all the things that require leg strength i.e 40, standing broad jump, vertical jump. Add to that the extra weight and it shouldn't be a surprise he has foot issues and is susceptible to injury.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1289701735' post='940615']

[/quote]

Exactly, for OLD fat people, but the determinant factor, even in 85% of their "foot problems" is the lack of vitamin D in their diets. My friend, who happens to be one of the podiatrists for the Buckeyes and the Crew, says that with athletes, the primary reason for fractures to the extremity bones are an inability to process calcium or the lack there of in their diets. Plus, in this case, with the description of his foot being stepped on in the "slide" into protection, it sounds more like a torquing break, as opposed to a "weight bearing" break.

P.S. Dumb people pay for all smart people's shit. Thank god for them! :D

Archived