Andre Smith breaks same foot, could be out for year

[quote name='John~Galt' timestamp='1289497861' post='939940']
If Roland starts I seriously consider holding Palmer out.
[/quote]

roland will probably start and get chipping help from reggie kelly...sometimes in the form of a double team, sometimes lined up in the backfield. i'm sure collins will be on standby. and yes, carson will start and play all game....if he survives. andrew's a bit banged up on the other side and will be working on a short week. he's going to have his hands full too as he's going up against a pretty good ball player.

[b]Andre Smith breaks same foot, could be out for year[/b]
By GEOFF HOBSON

Updated: 3:25 p.m.

In his second season, right tackle [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/andre-smith/5796e85d-6992-4b91-9630-fde615747967/"][color="#f04e23"]Andre Smith[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/color][/url] has broken his left foot for the second time. On Wednesday during a pass protection set, he suffered a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal, the bone on the outside of the foot and next to the fourth metatarsal that he broke last season and had surgically repaired in January.

Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated after Thursday's practice that a decision on surgery would be made in the next week and pronounced Smith out for Sunday's game with Dennis Roland getting the start. Surgery would no doubt end Smith's season and it still may be over. When he broke his foot 12 days before the opener on Sept. 1, Smith didn't return to practice until eight weeks later.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Andre-Smith-breaks-same-foot-could-be-out-for-year/bec903d0-79bc-4acc-b4cc-86090bd8a0a5"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Andre-Smith-breaks-same-foot-could-be-out-for-year/bec903d0-79bc-4acc-b4cc-86090bd8a0a5[/url]

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1289509448' post='939997']
Damn I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays again...it's not like he needs the money.
[/quote]

also... it's not like he won't weigh about 420 pounds by the time he starts to rehab the foot.....

[b][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/11/smith-breaks-left-foot-again/"][size="5"]Smith breaks left foot again[/size][/url][size="5"] [/size][/b]
Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email] November 11th, 2010, 3:48 pm

The run of bad luck for Andre Smith continues.

The second-year offensive tackle was injured during Wednesday's practice and coach Marvin Lewis said on Thursday that Smith broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot. Smith is definitely out for Sunday's game at Indianapolis and in all likelihood for the rest of the season.

Lewis said that Smith had the foot stepped on during a pass protection drill midway through the practice. He was carted off the practice field and was seen leaving the facility with a team employee for further tests.

"We'll go to a series of options that he'll work to and we'll go from there," Lewis said.

"When he got stepped on and he turned at the same time it torques the foot. It's a bad stretch of bad luck for him. It's what happens in football. Sometimes timing doesn't work out that way."

Smith broke the fourth metatarsal in the same foot last year, two days after signing his contract. He missed the first 30 days of the preseason, which was the third longest amount of time missed for an unsigned first-rounder who eventually signed.

He missed the first 10 games of last season but opted not to have surgery because it was the bone on the inside of the foot. The fifth metatarsal is located on the outside of the foot and has more stress put on it.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/11/smith-breaks-left-foot-again/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/11/smith-breaks-left-foot-again/[/url]

I've had the misfortune of breaking four different bones in my left foot at different times. I have rebroken them several times. Once broken, it is really easy to do again. I broke the first one just stepping and putting all my weight on a stair tread. I will eventually need surgery as they regrew in a distorted way.

8 weeks is the usual recovery time if there is no surgery.

I can't fault Andre for this. Some people just have brittle bones or someone may have stepped on it in practice.

If he does put on weight, I expect the Bengals to not exercise their option for next year.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289514574' post='940037']
just knew the kindergarden rants would follow. you dumb cocksuckers are jumping the guy's ass because someone stepped on his foot. just how in the hell is that his fault? :363:
[/quote]

are you serious...

maybe because the fat ass held out last year and then came in to camp at like a million pounds...
I want him to succeed, but do you honestly expect people not to take shots at this guy after the way his Bengals career has started..
He was the #6 pick for Christ sakes... it would be nice to have more than like two good games out of him in two years.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1289517716' post='940058']
are you serious...

maybe because the fat ass held out last year and then came in to camp at like a million pounds...
I want him to succeed, but do you honestly expect people not to take shots at this guy after the way his Bengals career has started..
He was the #6 pick for Christ sakes... it would be nice to have more than like two good games out of him in two years.
[/quote]

well if it was Bobbie who stepped on his foot, I can see why its broken...

Bobbie would pwn Andre in an eating contest.

Obviously jumping the gun a bit here but in one and a half seasons in and it looks like Smith's career could be in jeopardy.

04-[b]Perry[/b]
05-[b]Pollack[/b]
06-Joseph
07-Hall
08-Rivers
09-[b]Smith[/b]

Through sheer bad luck thats 3 first round picks in 6 years whose careers have been decimated by injury and in the process have helped to doom this franchise. Fuck, Rivers is another IR trip away from ending up on this list. Obviously there are a million variables that go into a successful NFL team...but connecting on 1st round picks carries a lot of weight in the equation and we're getting the shit end of that stick.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1289517716' post='940058']
are you serious...

[/quote]

don't get me started. we have the most notorious owner in the WHOLE NFL for dragging his team down by not signing his 1st round draft picks on time. did you think that just started with the draft two years ago? then, as if his past track record and history of being cheap wasn't enough of a concern, he breaks new ground last year by stating he was determined to blow the whole 1st round slotting system up. his multitude of holdouts and the cost of it's impact to this franchise are the only things that make mike brown a famous man. andre smith, with his penchant for bad luck, was the most unfortunate player in last year's draft. the reason? the reason was because out of 32 1st rounders, he's the guy mike brown selected. out of all the players in last year's draft, that poor SOB was the only guy selected as mike brown's 1st round pick. think about it? can you imagine how bad that feeling must have been?
"oh boy, i get selected by the one fucking owner that decides he's going to go against the grain, going to go against the past established practice, and blow the NFL's slotting system up! oh, lucky fucking me."

and you're actually going to try to make a case for the guy being a bum for holding out? in what fucking parallel universe have you been residing for the past 20 fucking years?

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289520000' post='940072']

"oh boy, i get selected by the one fucking owner that decides he's going to go against the grain, going to go against the past established practice, and blow the NFL's slotting system up! oh, lucky fucking me."

[/quote]

Andre Smith is a Raider?

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289520000' post='940072']
don't get me started. we have the most notorious owner in the WHOLE NFL for dragging his team down by not signing his 1st round draft picks on time. did you think that just started with the draft two years ago? then, as if his past track record and history of being cheap wasn't enough of a concern, he breaks new ground last year by stating he was determined to blow the whole 1st round slotting system up. his multitude of holdouts and the cost of it's impact to this franchise are the only things that make mike brown a famous man. andre smith, with his penchant for bad luck, was the most unfortunate player in last year's draft. the reason? the reason was because out of 32 1st rounders, he's the guy mike brown selected. out of all the players in last year's draft, that poor SOB was the only guy selected as mike brown's 1st round pick. think about it? can you imagine how bad that feeling must have been?

and you're actually going to try to make a case for the guy being a bum for holding out? in what fucking parallel universe have you been residing for the past 20 fucking years?
[/quote]

I can't argue the past... and I am not even trying to..... That still gives him no fucking excuse to come in that out of shape...
There are tons of holdouts throughout the NFL every year... who is the player that has been the most out of shape in the last few...
It's at least between him and Jamarcus Russell... boy...that's some great company....

I have been in the same parallel universe as you for the last twenty years... Being a Bengals fan watching other teams/franchises succeed... and I can see no reason to make excuses for a player to be constantly out of shape and injured for his first two years in the NFL.....

I am not making excuses for the way Mike has run this team either... it has been pathetic for the most part.... but I am not giving this fat ass a pass just because this team drafted him.... Leon, JJ, Keith and Gresh just to name a few..have all done OK.....

Archived