Picked up the new EVO 3D today...

As an employee we have to order our phones from the employee site, and they werent available for us to order until monday (originally released this past friday, had people camped outside my location at 6am).

I am an avid blackberry fan, people knock blackberry, but blackberry works, they have released a few low end models that are average at best (8100 series, 8500 series, etc) but the business lines, the 8300 series long ago and the 9500+ series are very well made and are probably the most reliable phones to ever be built. The os is solid through and through (unless you add a buncha free ringtone apps, freebee games and junk to it, those will turn any phone to shit) ... I looked, and I have had my same blackberry profile since 2002. 9 years of blackberry reliability and quality... i loved it.

love fest over for now...

I tried the HTC EVO about 7-9 months ago, I have small hands, i couldnt text with one hand, hated it, sold it/traded it 3-5 days into owning it.

I decided to give the 3D a try since its narrower and I have a chance of texting on it easier. It also has the dual core processor and more ram and memory than any other android device.

I am about 12hours into it. It has replaced my ipod for most games(not all) my ebay, paypal, chase bank, etc... its looking to make my ipod just an ipod again.

texting I have only sent 2 texts so far,and it went poorly, but i am going to give it a week or two before i give up this time. and swype might help me out as well.

the main reason i wanted to post this is about the 3D feature of the device.

When we announced the product i rolled my eyes honestly, I hate stupid gimmicks, i hate that the public jumps all over them, and i hate that the same general public then complains all day everyday about how horrible it is 6 months later when it isnt what they think it should be.So i was more than skeptical, I thought it was stupid and wanted no part of it.

After getting my hands on it, taking some 3d pictures, watching some 3d movies (it comes with green hornet installed to watch, and comes with a badass spiderman 3d game installed)

its pretty impressive. you can switch back and forth between 2d and 3d whenever, everything is a choice, you arent forced into anything.

It is reliable and works well.

Now this morning It took a tumble down about 12 steps onto hardwood floors, annnnd the screen is flickering, i rebooted and it stopped, but i may be swapping it out just to be safe,

So i have angry birds in 3d, its far more entertaining for some reason... asphault in 3d, spiderman and that movie.

took some pictures of stupid shit like pizza and my feet(i was sitting in a chair eating pizza, my options were limited, haha)..

going to coors field today, taking my boys, should get some cool pictures there...

It should be interesting to see if the device can be fun enough and reliable enough to sway me from blackberry for good.

I will make some extra posts in the thread if anyone cares about continued revue of the device....

any questions or have one yourself, id love to answer or hear about your experience with it...

i am surprisingly impressed thus far.

GPS and battery life get a solid test today....

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1309453009' post='999272']
Didnt they make a version of the Evo that has a slide out keyboard?

I have the same issue with texting and will be looking at only keyboard based androids for my next phone.
[/quote]

Yea, the EVO Shift, have you tried Swype? you may love it, you may hate it, my wife hated touch screen texting until she got SWYPE rolling on her Nexus S...

the shift is already an older device. samsung has a new one coming for sprint and motorola does as well..

and i totally cheesed my LCD screen.. its all jacked up.. i will be replacing this tomorrow...

I received mine Tuesday night. So far I am pretty impressed. This is the first smart phone I have owned with out a keyboard though, getting used to using swype all the time though.

At first I thought something was wrong, because swype was not working at all. I finally realized that I had bumped the EN/ES button and switched to spanish.

Battery sucked yesterday, but I realized i had some stuff syncing twice. I installed the facebook app and setup gmail imap, so I was syncing both twice.

I installed an app called "JuiceDefender". I pulled the phone off the charger at 6:20 this morning. I have texted, emailed, tapatalk, and played angry birds a bit so far and battery indicator has barely budged.

I picked up a case for it at Best Buy with a kickstand. Seems to work fine, but adds some bulk and weight to the phone.

I hate swype. Android has voice to text also, with the capabilities of using through some bluetooths.

If you live in poor reception areas such as I do, you may want to try out Motorola android devices. They have the best reception. I've tried them up against a couple HTC and Samsung models. Motorola wins every time. But if you exist in civilization and reception is not an issue, go with whatever.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1309454644' post='999275']
Yea, the EVO Shift, have you tried Swype? you may love it, you may hate it, my wife hated touch screen texting until she got SWYPE rolling on her Nexus S...

the shift is already an older device. samsung has a new one coming for sprint and motorola does as well..

and i totally cheesed my LCD screen.. its all jacked up.. i will be replacing this tomorrow...
[/quote]

nope havnet tried it, ill have to check it out thanks

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1309457003' post='999279']
I hate swype. Android has voice to text also, with the capabilities of using through some bluetooths.

If you live in poor reception areas such as I do, you may want to try out Motorola android devices. They have the best reception. I've tried them up against a couple HTC and Samsung models. Motorola wins every time. But if you exist in civilization and reception is not an issue, go with whatever.
[/quote]

Voice text pisses me off with how it either works or doesnt or gets words completely wrong when it does work

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1309456022' post='999277']
I received mine Tuesday night. So far I am pretty impressed. This is the first smart phone I have owned with out a keyboard though, getting used to using swype all the time though.

At first I thought something was wrong, because swype was not working at all. I finally realized that I had bumped the EN/ES button and switched to spanish.

Battery sucked yesterday, but I realized i had some stuff syncing twice. I installed the facebook app and setup gmail imap, so I was syncing both twice.

I installed an app called "JuiceDefender". I pulled the phone off the charger at 6:20 this morning. I have texted, emailed, tapatalk, and played angry birds a bit so far and battery indicator has barely budged.

I picked up a case for it at Best Buy with a kickstand. Seems to work fine, but adds some bulk and weight to the phone.
[/quote]

nice, juice defender is a solid battery app, the ONLY solid one, the rest are counter productive..

also, do not install any task killer, do not install any anti virus, there is no such thing as an android virus, most of them are spy ware and the task killer are designed with such generalities that they often kill useful phone functions all day mking it run slower or killing battery restartig them... just ah heads up on those...

my battery is cool as long as im not downlaoding 10 apps at a time or using wifi for any reason... so i am keeping it as stock as possible..

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1309458040' post='999284']
Yo, lemme know if you don't want it and I'll buy it from you.
[/quote]

a phone serial number from my account showing up on your account would be in the end of me for sure... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/machinegunyellow.gif[/img]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/morning1.gif[/img][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/gamer.gif[/img]

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1309485092' post='999355']

a phone serial number from my account showing up on your account would be in the end of me for sure... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/machinegunyellow.gif[/img]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/morning1.gif[/img][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/gamer.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Oh shit I forgot about that lol

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1309928822' post='999788']
I have an HTC Inspire. I like it. Don't know shit about phones though. Seems to do the things I want to do with it.
[/quote]

and thats all that matters.

many sales reps i come across seem to think the phone they like best is best for every person ever... there is a reason companies still sell basic flip camera phones, and devices from $0 to $250. Different needs and wants. my dad would absolutely hate my and your device. he has a sanyo s1, and has had it for 3 years...

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CKJpL1zzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/img]

fits his needs, it makes calls and its thin for his pocket.

i HATE making calls, and his phone would make me miserable...

some people are complaining about the evo 3d battery life, mine lasts 2 days solid. but i dont have strip poker, fart sound boards, spyware "antivirus and task killer apps ruining my phone like a tard...

so its a matter of finding what works for you and fits your real needs, which is why blackberry made me so happy so long.. it did the main things i wanted PERFECTLY...

so far so good still on the 3d

HTC Incredible 2

I have had it for a little over a week. It seems to have a lot better battery life and is a little smoother than the HTC Incredible... I didn't have any trouble with it though.. Except I jumped in my parents swimming pool with it in my pocket...

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1309965904' post='999822']
HTC Incredible 2

I have had it for a little over a week. It seems to have a lot better battery life and is a little smoother than the HTC Incredible... I didn't have any trouble with it though.. Except I jumped in my parents swimming pool with it in my pocket...
[/quote]

that has a dual core processor too right? that helps battery a bit itself...and makes these things run MUCH smoother...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1309969306' post='999832']
that has a dual core processor too right? that helps battery a bit itself...and makes these things run MUCH smoother...
[/quote]

no not dual core but it is the 2nd generation MSM8655 instead of the snapdragon.. supposed to help it run a lot smoother.. It also has an additional 256MB of RAM...so 768MB....
16GB instead of 8GB
Slightly bigger battery too... so all of it adds up to a better phone....

I am pretty happy with it...

[img]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/27/128985432538998939.jpg[/img]

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1309965824' post='999821']

some people are complaining about the evo 3d battery life, mine lasts 2 days solid
[/quote]

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1309928822' post='999788']
I have an HTC Inspire. I like it. Don't know shit about phones though. Seems to do the things I want to do with it.
[/quote]

That's what I have. I rooted it and I love it.

left my wifi on the 3D turned on at home after uploading some picasa pics for my dad and my battery lasted about 3 hours total... JESUS... with roaming off wifi off, dispaly on auto brightness, timeout on 30 seconds, and no dumb shit downloaded, i am super pleased with the battery... in reality it seems its about 30 hours lasting time, not 2 whole days...

sidenote: cant wait till my dads house is done so he can get his stuff out of my basement and garage, so i can organize my garage and finish my basement...UGH

Archived