"Not As Old As Losing".... Really?

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1312054717' post='1007614']
surely you're not so delusional to think you could be a member of an NFL message board community, more especially a cincinnati bengals message board community, yet not hear complaints about how the team is run, right? in your perfect world, would it all be kumbayas in here, in every thread?

how in the world can you discuss this team, without there being a certain amount of criticism over it's operations? do you really think that would that be an accurate assessment of all that's going on with the team?
[/quote]

No.. But my point is that if you feel there is no hope and you are being abused as a fan, and used by a corrupt organization that cares about nothing more than stealing your money, why do you continue to do this?

If I had come to that conclusion I wouldn't be here being a fan. I would be doing something else with my time other than being a shill for some con.

I choose to be a fan.. What point is there in constantly bitching about it?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1312055346' post='1007623']
No.. But my point is that if you feel there is no hope and you are being abused as a fan, and used by a corrupt organization that cares about nothing more than stealing your money, why do you continue to do this?

If I had come to that conclusion I wouldn't be here being a fan. I would be doing something else with my time other than being a shill for some con.

I choose to be a fan.. What point is there in constantly bitching about it?
[/quote]

The same reason Johnny Golf Head chases a white ball around a field. It's a hobby.

I agree with you, if it does become miserable then that person should stop. I also would agree with you about the bitching if the purpose of this message board was actually to come to a proposal to present to Mike Brown for improvement.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1312053262' post='1007605']
You are about 15 years late on the defeatism point....

The Bengals remind of me of the monkey and banana experiment.....

Unfortunately we are the monkies....
[/quote]

Actually I suppose I am 40+ years late.

People bitched in the '70's when they were the quickest expansion team to the playoffs. Yeah, I heard 'em then. "Why can't we be like the (Baltimore) Colts?" I heard them in the time between 1984-1986. "Why can't we compete with San Diego?" Even when '86 came..and we were the #1 offense in all of the AFC...the bellyaching still happened. "Why can't PB put together a defense?" '87--all bellyache. Even sainted '88 "Why can't we...?" '89...same...

Point is: fans of the Cincinnati Bengals [b]always[/b] bitch and complain. It's never-ending. Even when good things actually happen. I know the last sentence will have a sarcastic response given...but it is the truth.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1312047020' post='1007514']
"Not as old as the losing."

The Bengals haven't lit up the league the last 7 years, but they've had only two horrible years since 2002.. If Carson would have been healthy the year he got hurt. Marvin would have a winning record as a HC... This gloom and doom is really getting old.. Time to get a new team if you don't see this. Stop listening to all the talking heads that don't really evaluate the Bengals and really look at how this team has competed every year since Marvin has been the HC... I believe last year was an anomaly, IMO T.O. Really fucked up the chemistry, that's why I didn't like him coming in.. Everyone had their roles, and they knew their roles and their Identity, and were proud of it... No it didn't always click, but it won a division championship, and swept the division, even with the NFL network darling Stealers and Ravens.

It's amazing.. You hate the front office, you hate the head coach, so why even be a SUPPORTIVE fan of the Cincinnati Bengals. No one is holding a gun to your heads.. I'm not homer, I'm not looking at this team with striped-colored glasses. But the truth is, how many franchises REALLY have a chance at winning every year? Just a few and even the Stealers missed the playoffs two years ago.

This team has a slew of young players, good young players that really want to be here and want to play hard for the organization, if that wasn't the case, then why did thy have 40-45 players come in for two weeks and work out when they didn't have to.. There is a want and a will to win on this team.

Bottom line, support the players now, don't worry about who they don't have. The players, not the front office, is why I root for this team. If you don't want to do that ,and bitch and moan about not signing someone that isn't on the team, then follow the team that your favorite players are on and support that team.. That's what I do in the NBA.. I love the Celtics for Ray, KG and the "Truf"!!!!

Be a Patriots fan if you really loved Chad that much.. Be a Texans fan if you really loved J.Joe that much, and stop trying to infect positive Bengals fans with all the doom and gloom. [b]I know this team isn't the best but I love the effort they put forth...[/b]

(steps off the soap box and returns to his corner)
[/quote]

I highlighted the one statement you made that needs to be explained. What effort has this organization put forth that you love? Really, I would love to get an even a reasonable answer to this. Was it the $4 dollar tap water they sold to us at the stadium? The bag of microwavable popcorn they sent us season ticket holders last year? Seriously, do you have any idea what real NFL organizations do for their fans? Do you think it was an accident that we are considered one of the worst pro organizations in sports? Is it the 800 offensive false starts or holding penalties that make us great?

BTW, enough with winning a division title in basically a 3 team division (I am sure the Ravens and Stealers consider it a 2 team division). Stop with that shit. Its not a big accomplishment unless you have the bar set REAL low or you actually do something in the playoffs. The Jets owned us the last 2 weeks of 2009 so that went well. The fucking Jets.

Wow, the team has a slew of young players. What a rare thing in the NFL. Fucking broken record for the last 20 years. The players are why you root for the team? Pray tell who is the face of this organization now? Is it the average Rey Maualuga who has pretty hair? Is it a rookie QB who has never thrown an NFL pass? Maybe the 5am ass kicking Ced Benson? Maybe the almost pro bowler Whit? LMAO. WE HAVE NO PLAYERS. We are "TEAM, NFL, 1 EACH."

The gloom and doom is getting old? What has this team done that makes them better than the 4-12 team last year? I am not talking wins and losses I am talking BETTER TEAM? That would be nothing. We lost our 2 best players and replaced them with ... question marks.

I have lived in Dayton since 1974 and I am a Bengals fan. Don't tell me what I have to do to be a Bengal's fan douche bag. I have been to at least 4 homes games every year since 1974 except 1982 to 1990 when I was serving in the US Army. I am a fan of this team because for 16 years, Paul Brown consistently put a good product on the field that was pure class. Since then I continue to hope his son will eventually do the same. Is it asking a lot for a fan to expect the organization to act like a real 1 billion dollar organization?

Don't tell me what to do asshole.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1312055277' post='1007622']
Worthless bitching????

This is a message board dedicated to discussions regarding the Cincinnati Bengals. It isn't a Government military project team designed to add value.

There isn't a single value add activity in the entire population of threads of this board.

That's like going to one of those political channels and expecting the opposing sides to actually come to a useful conclusion.

It's entertainment.
[/quote]

The value is the entertainment. I imagine there might be a small minority of people here that enjoy it when 95% of the threads devolve into one of a couple standard bitch fests.

Don't get me wrong.. I have no problem with people stating a disagreement, or getting pissed about something and venting.. That isn't what I am talking about here.. It's constant, repetitious complaining about the same things that some people do over and over. That's what I mean by bitching.

It's tiresome.. And not entertaining.

This is the only thing I hope they're betting on with the money: That Rome has a breakout year and gets a new deal. A new deal for Hall. That MJ continues to impress so he gets an extension, that Rey is more dominant at his natural position so he gets a new deal, that Andre becomes the OL they hoped for and he gets extended. That Caldwell picks up where he left off last year and gets a new deal. Lots of guys coming due before long that I hope they dont just let walk. Of course Rome may want out because he sat the bench for 2.5 years.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1312055724' post='1007627']

People bitched in the '70's when they were the quickest expansion team to the playoffs. Yeah, I heard 'em then. "Why can't we be like the (Baltimore) Colts?" I heard them in the time between 1984-1986. "Why can't we compete with San Diego?" Even when '86 came..and we were the #1 offense in all of the AFC...the bellyaching still happened. "Why can't PB put together a defense?" '87--all bellyache. Even sainted '88 "Why can't we...?" '89...same...

Point is: fans of the Cincinnati Bengals [b]always[/b] bitch and complain. It's never-ending. Even when good things actually happen. I know the last sentence will have a sarcastic response given...but it is the truth.
[/quote]

Its not just bengals fans. Fans of any sports team would bitch with this kind of track record. Fans bitch because they care. People need to quit trying to measure others fanhood. Its pointless. We all care wether we bitch or not.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1312055835' post='1007630']
The value is the entertainment. I imagine there might be a small minority of people here that enjoy it when 95% of the threads devolve into one of a couple standard bitch fests.

Don't get me wrong.. I have no problem with people stating a disagreement, or getting pissed about something and venting.. That isn't what I am talking about here.. It's constant, repetitious complaining about the same things that some people do over and over. That's what I mean by bitching.

[/quote]

I didn't enjoy it either when I thought the team was on the right path. I don't think they are on a path right now. I think the bitching justified. Strange how that works.

No matter what you think of a coach. You don't retain them going 4-12 after winning a division. You don't lose top players at franchise positions. You don't sit and think of stats to justify your scouting when you know if you lose a star you almost have to go to the FA market to fill it.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1312056454' post='1007636']
Its not just bengals fans. Fans of any sports team would bitch with this kind of track record. Fans bitch because they care. People need to quit trying to measure others fanhood. Its pointless. We all care wether we bitch or not.
[/quote]

It's not a measurement...at least not coming from me. I have sat in those stadia for 32 years...I have heard complaining and moaning there that is as low-level football knowledge-wise as it gets. At least here, most of it has some degree of substance. I can appreciate critique of just about anything. It's when it has no substance..just the banal bleats of media-fed know-nothings..is where the line is drawn. And even they have the right to say it.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1312055835' post='1007630']

[/quote]
No doubt I bitch too much. I am also older than most of you and lived during the glory days of Kenny, Munoz, Boomer, CC, Brooks etc... I can't tell you how cool it was to watch THE BENGALS play in epic playoff and Superbowls games. The parties, the chest thumping, the trash talking ... it was great. The two Superbowl losses were tough but we played well and everyone, including the media, said we had nothing to be ashamed off.

Some of you consider the 1989 Superbowl a horrible thing. I actually consider it one of our greatest moments. Everyone I know my age remembers that game. I can ask just about anyone about the 1994 Super, Dallas vs Buffalo blowout and few can even tell me anything about the game. The 1989 Superbowl was fucking epic. Classic. People still remember where they were when then watched it. Fans of NEITHER team discuss it in epic terms. Its not a bad thing when your team's name is mentioned every Superbowl week as haveing played in one of the greatest, well played games in history. Not a bad thing.

We have NEVER been close to matching that glory. Not even close. Division title? Really?

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1312047356' post='1007523']
Jamie where in my post does it say "I like losing"??? If you really want to support a winning team, then go be a Pats fan...... You know what you get here.. I like the players on the team... I'm not losing anything.. I'm in the military.. this isn't what I do for a living.. I like rooting for the Cincinnati Bengals.
[/quote]

Jamie's not really all about staying on the actual topics of posts

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1312053158' post='1007603']
Maybe it's an understanding of the value of bitching? As in, it's fucking worthless, and achieves nothing besides dragging down others around you and generally making you a pain in the ass.

I think where many of us come down on this is like this.. I know Mike Brown fucking sucks. I have no delusions as the reality of this situation. Yet, I choose to be a fan.. What good does crying about it do? I am a fan to have fun an enjoy football.. There is enough real shit in life to be stressed about.

In essence, what I "endure" from the Bengals is my own decision.. No one is forcing me to do this. I have no delusions about what being a fan of this franchise encompasses. Bitching publicly about a decision I make that I have no delusions about accomplishes nothing except make me a whiny bitch.

Perhaps this is the mindset us "service members" have in common... The reluctance to be a whiny bitch?
[/quote]

Brilliant.

Another point of it is anger management. And many here severely lack it.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1312055046' post='1007618']
I agree with everything you wrote. And if it looks to me like we are going back to the way things were in the 90's with Brown pocketing money while fielding a joke, then I will do what I did in the 90's and quit supporting his product. It doesn't mean I will stop being a fan of the Bengals. But I do refuse to dedicate precious moments of my life and added stress I do not need by emotionally committing myself to a franchise that isn't trying.

I can handle losing.. I can handle missing out on big time FA's because we are small time porkopolis on the banks of a muddy river. But I will not tolerate being used for a shill, and profiteered on by a con of an organization. I also am not going to sit here and bitch about shit endlessly either.

I honestly feel that while Marvin has been here they have been trying win. I'm not saying they have done everything they should have, or made all the right decisions.. But IMO there has been a dedication to winning the superbowl. I get frustrated as well with our struggles with free agents, but I also thinks we fight an uphill battle on that front because of national perception.

What we do in the next year or two might change the way I feel about the franchise... But as it stands right now, I am excited to watch the next season of Bengals football.
[/quote]

you're absolutely entitled to those feelings, those opinions. it would be a fucked up world where anyone tried to deny you of that. the flipside of that is the point you are missing, because it's not one you, and others, share.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312057763' post='1007653']
Brilliant.

Another point of it is anger management. And many here severely lack it.
[/quote]

but that's just your opinion, and an example of how you judge others based on your thought patterns. i could rail on and on that you're the biggest mike brown nut-hugger in the world. but that would be judgemental on my part, and also non-productive. so i try not to go there.

the bitchin about the bitchin is what brings most of this bitchin on, folks. so how about we try to be a bit more accepting of each other. we're all invested in this, no matter what some of you think to the contrary....from us guys that got a chubby when paul started this organization up, down to the ones that signed on this year.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1312060284' post='1007671']
[b]but that's just your opinion, and an example of how you judge others based on your thought patterns. [/b]i could rail on and on that you're the biggest mike brown nut-hugger in the world. but that would be judgemental on my part, and also non-productive. so i try not to go there.

the bitchin about the bitchin is what brings most of this bitchin on, folks. so how about we try to be a bit more accepting of each other. we're all invested in this, no matter what some of you think to the contrary....from us guys that got a chubby when paul started this organization up, down to the ones that signed on this year.
[/quote]

:lol: It has nothing to do with my thought patterns.

It's there in writing, plain as day. It's not made up, its there for everyone to see. People can own it, or be in denial.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1312055724' post='1007627']

[/quote]

Just because MB has hit you too many times with the water hose doesn't mean you have to beat the shit out of me because I want to go for the banana! lol

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1312057393' post='1007649']
No doubt I bitch too much. I am also older than most of you and lived during the glory days of Kenny, Munoz, Boomer, CC, Brooks etc... I can't tell you how cool it was to watch THE BENGALS play in epic playoff and Superbowls games. The parties, the chest thumping, the trash talking ... it was great. The two Superbowl losses were tough but we played well and everyone, including the media, said we had nothing to be ashamed off.

Some of you consider the 1989 Superbowl a horrible thing. I actually consider it one of our greatest moments. Everyone I know my age remembers that game. I can ask just about anyone about the 1994 Super, Dallas vs Buffalo blowout and few can even tell me anything about the game. The 1989 Superbowl was fucking epic. Classic. People still remember where they were when then watched it. Fans of NEITHER team discuss it in epic terms. Its not a bad thing when your team's name is mentioned every Superbowl week as haveing played in one of the greatest, well played games in history. Not a bad thing.

We have NEVER been close to matching that glory. Not even close. Division title? Really?
[/quote]

I also consider sb 23 a high moment. That 49er team is one of all time greatest and the AFC was not competitive.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312060647' post='1007674']

It's there in writing, plain as day. It's not made up, its there for everyone to see. People can own it, or be in denial.
[/quote]

okay 1181, as you say.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312060647' post='1007674']

[/quote]

Christ. You're one of the most judgemental posters on this board. Just ignore the ones that take the bengals more to heart than you do.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1312061770' post='1007685']
okay 1181, as you say.
[/quote]

this seems appropriate here.

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1312058927' post='1007665']
the flipside of that is the point you are missing, because it's not one you, and others, share.
[/quote]

[/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]often one doesn't realize they're part of a rageful mob, when they're standing in the middle of it. [/size][/font]

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1312062070' post='1007687']
Christ. You're one of the most judgemental posters on this board. Just ignore the ones that take the bengals more to heart than you do.
[/quote]

go re-read the Joseph to Houston thread.

No one has to do any judging. The proof is there, plain as day.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312062287' post='1007689']
this seems appropriate here.

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]

[/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]often one doesn't realize they're part of a rageful mob, when they're standing in the middle of it. [/size][/font]
[/quote]

okay 1181, as you say.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1312053848' post='1007606']
THANK YOU!!!!
[/quote]

Why are you thanking him? His post says the exact opposite of what you started this thread saying....

I agree with him that as a long-time Bengals fan you learn to accept the good and bad of it and take it for what it is. If you don't recognize the bad, most of it coming from the fact that our owner/GM sucks, then you aren't living in reality. He is saying that you aren't living in reality and you are thanking him for it...

As for the people in this thread bitching and complaining about the level of positivity vs. negativity in other people's posting....that is infinitely more annoying and crybaby than voicing displeasure with the early results of free agency. You are bitching about the fact that people have their own opinions and telling them to go root for another team if they don't share your exact amount of optimism. You are whining about what you perceive to be the whining of others. If you don't see how hypocritical that is of you, I think you're playing with a half deck....

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1312063062' post='1007697']
Proof of what? That you're right and everyone else is wrong?
[/quote]

how is this a matter of right or wrong?

It is what it is. Many folks flew off the handle Thursday night. Text is text. Me pointing it out doesn't change its validity.

Archived