Why dont consumers understand that cell phones cost a lot?

GoBengals

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1335831905' post='1127654']
switch to sprint and pay half as much per month? [color=#ff0000][u][b]let me know if interested and I have to send you a special link to get signed up with a certain code..[/b][/u][/color]
[/quote][quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1335842614' post='1127708']
Wow, that would be awesome. I just looked it up from the sprint webpage and it said for what we were looking for in plans it would be 150
[/quote]

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1335805923' post='1127549']

Great, so cap/charge the users that are bandwith hogs, not the way you access your data. Again, in my opinion, tethering should not be an extra charge, but excessive data usage should be. Quite frankly, I want to be able to check my email in an emergency on my laptop if Wifi isn't available without paying a premium through tethering.

In other words, I don't expect the data amount to be free that I use, but I expect not to be charged extra for the method I access the data with.

I consider it like leasing a car. I get 12000 miles a year, which i can drive which ever way I want to. Nobody can tell me where I can drive my car, nor how fast/slow I drive. If I go over I pay.

And quite frankly, why are they selling wireless high speed access plans for use with in- home access points to supplant wired providers like cable or fios if they are so concerned with bandwith? Wouldn't that suck up a lot of it? To me, it all comes down to generating maximum profits with BS plans and services. In Europe and asia providers know they couldn't get away with it, hence tethering plans aren't offered. There, you pay to play (i.e. you get charged for the data amount, not how you access it).
[/quote]

I don't know what part of Asia you're talking about but it surely isn't Japan. For our phones we play a flat fee of about 45 bucks a month for unlimited usage via 3G. My home connection is high speed cable and I've got a wireless router here so I can steal some wifi from myself for our phones and the iPad.

I'd also like to mention to Go that we do in fact have contracts over here for our phones. 2 years is what we signed on for with the iPhones. We had the same deal with our iPhone3g's. When the 4S came out we were still about 8 months shy of our contract ending. The phone shop we go to waived the $100.00 fee for breaking the contract and waived the remaining payments we had on our phones. Deal went down smooth as butter. But, there are contracts in Japan. You don't just buy a phone and walk out the door, they get their hooks in you for at least 2 years.
MULLY

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1336259956' post='1129102']
LOL at everyone that thinks a smart phone / cell phone is a necessity in the first place...
[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't have a cell phone or a smart phone and are trying to belittle the people that do, like you are somehow superior to everyone else on the planet that chooses to have these things.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1336919264' post='1130456']
I'm guessing you don't have a cell phone or a smart phone and are trying to belittle the people that do, like you are somehow superior to everyone else on the planet that chooses to have these things.
MULLY
[/quote]

And he obviously doesn't work in IT...

LOL at everyone that thinks a smart phone / cell phone is a necessity in the first place...
[/quote]

yea im such a sucker having everything i need for my bankking, communication, and entertainment at my finger tips. that i can see when my kids arrive home safe from school, i can see when teh nanny takes them away from teh house to play or swim and when they return..hell i can turn on my adt monitoring and see who is inside and outside of my house..

LOL @ fun, safety, and convenience... for me and my entire family...

[/quote]

There are a lot of reasons why cell phones, especially smart phones are great that aren't a necessity. For me though, knowing that my wife has one when she's on the road alone, shopping, to and from work, et cetera is now a necessity. Also, when I'm out so that she can contact me if she needs to. I guess necessity might not be the right word, but IMO it's asinine not to have one since the technology exists, if there's any way you can afford it. Yes, it's largely a convenience, but it's also a fantastic tool for safety.

I actually have four of them, one for every member of the family. It's a convinience, I agree.

What I don't get is the addiction. Some people, a lot of people, can't seem to put them down. A lady that works for me had her electricty turned off this winter. She had to borrow money from the company to get her electricty turned back on, but her whole family has smart phones. I know another guy at work that has a four figure monthly phone bill because everyone in his family has smart phones. Crazy. I'm guessing most everyone on here know poeple that are in the same boat or close to it.

So you all are right, I honestly don't get it.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1337799679' post='1132199']
I actually have four of them, one for every member of the family. It's a convinience, I agree.

What I don't get is the addiction. Some people, a lot of people, can't seem to put them down. A lady that works for me had her electricty turned off this winter. She had to borrow money from the company to get her electricty turned back on, but her whole family has smart phones. I know another guy at work that has a four figure monthly phone bill because everyone in his family has smart phones. Crazy. I'm guessing most everyone on here know poeple that are in the same boat or close to it.

So you all are right, I honestly don't get it.
[/quote]
I wasn't with you at first in your earlier statement, but I can definitely relate to what you have written above concerning what seems to be an addiction.

For example, I've never seen my next door neighbor without his smartphone in his hand and within six inches from his face...ever...he cuts his grass while doing whatever is so important on is phone that can't wait. It's hilarious when he runs into and over stuff in the yard since he's not paying attention. It's in his face when he drives his car in and out of the driveway too which bothers me. I just hope nobody gets hurt. Another one I chuckle about is on vacation. Nice beach or pool or whatever. People generally relaxing, swimming, playing games, talking to eachother, enjoying their vacation. But I always see people with their heads buried in their smart phones...and I don't mean just occassionally checking in on important emails, or scoring some tickets, or making dinner reservations...I'm talking face buried in the phone the whole damn time. I guess don't get it either. The number of these people seem to be growing.

There's a time and place for everything, and everything in moderation.

Archived