My wife and I are getting a newer vehicle and the quote we got from our current insurance came back kind of high (we've been with Farmers for about 10 years. Anyway, we've done some checking and it seems like many other companies are significantly cheaper for the same coverage. Just wondering if anyone has opinions/suggestions.

We thought about combining our car with house insurance to get the best deal (travelers/geico). Anyone had experience with either?

Other thoughts?

combining your insurance will get you the greatest discount, not necessarily the greatest deal. Would you rather have 20% off 1000 or just a flat 600, etc. Get quotes for both combined and separately to see what's the best deal.

The entire industry is raising rates like crazy right now to make up for big losses the past few years.

Also, as a general rule you should get insurance quotes each year. Don't assume that because you're a long tenured customer you will get a good deal. Even when your rates don't go up, there's a decent chance your rates could be kept artificially high since they think you won't leave and don't need to give you a better deal. Agents are usually restricted from doing it, but it's possible that simply by canceling your policy and getting the same policy as a new policy will save you money. Then again, they could be keeping your rates artificially low to not scare you off and going as a new policy would cost more. Basically, it costs nothing to get quotes from other companies so check around and be informed.

And sorry to disappoint you sois, but Travelers is actually one of the best companies out there.

You need to go find yourself an independent agent... one who can look into your wants and get quotes from multiple companies, not just the one paying them for sitting there. That's the best advice you can receive if you're looking for good rates.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1337915543' post='1132506']
Fuck Travelers, I had a pipe burst in my bathroom and those douches didn't pay. I wanted to murder that fag adjuster who came to see my house. He was such a fag.
[/quote]

pipe bursts depend on the type of insurance form you have (basic, broad, special). It's not uncommon that this is not covered.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1337946781' post='1132531']
You need to go find yourself an independent agent... one who can look into your wants and get quotes from multiple companies, not just the one paying them for sitting there. That's the best advice you can receive if you're looking for good rates.
[/quote]

definitely good advice, but also keep in mind that some agents are going to direct you to the company that gives them the biggest commission. Also, the rates can be different if you're going through an agent or directly getting a quote from their website.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1337953558' post='1132548']
pipe bursts depend on the type of insurance form you have (basic, broad, special). It's not uncommon that this is not covered.

definitely good advice, but also keep in mind that some agents are going to direct you to the company [b]that gives them the biggest commission[/b]. Also, the rates can be different if you're going through an agent or directly getting a quote from their website.
[/quote]

Good call. Gotta' find an honest fella'.

I got a new car (2012 Hyundai Accent GLS) earlier this year. I had been going back and forth with Progressive over the phone and online for 3 days straight checking on various quotes for various cars I was interested in. Somehow, the rate dropped a lot when I made a final decision over what I was quoted a day or two prior. I hadn't given them the VIN number yet, so it was a huge surprise.

My insurance went up $150 over 6 months (I had a '02 Lancer, have 1 speeding ticket which won't go away till summer 2013) and I have been with Progressive for 5 years. I also live very close to DC which I know factors into my rates. It will be interesting to see what the rates go down to next month when I see the latest policy.

Just to throw my 2 cents into this discussion based on personal experience. First off, like with most things, you get what you pay for. If you are getting heavily discounted rates, you are often getting heavily discounted service. Hopefully you never need to use it, but the value comes if/when you do. Second, the insurance world is very fluid and volatile. Rates are constantly changing, and companies are constantly leapfrogging eachother in terms of price, service, gimmicks. If you want to play the "find the best plan" game, just realize that it will change next month.

I second the recommendation on State Farm. I've also had good experience with Progressive in the past.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess on of the things that bothered me most about Farmers recently was that when I asked last week...the ballpark figure was a couple HUNDRED dollars less the when I contacted her Monday. I responded and asked the lady a couple of questions via email. No word until yesterday when she called and asked me if I had made up my mind. I politely said, "No, because I was waiting for a response to my questions."

I guess I'm just looking for a 1) a decent deal (doesn't need to be the cheapest by any means 2) something that isn't totally shitty. My Farmers experience left me kind of pissed like they just wanted more money and didn't really give a shit.

We've done a little digging and in general MOST of the places I've checked are a good amount cheaper, so I'm checking with an independent agent locally. Apparently it is what my wife did for the house insurance (I didn't know that until this morning).

Thanks for all the great feedback!

been happy with progressive. my home owners was through ASi which is part of progrssive, it didnt earn me any real discounts..

i had esurance before that, for probably 7 years, great service with them on everything. hell they gives discounts for having a paypal account, etc..

but they dont do much with home owners..

i only switched because they knew about my 4 speeding tickets...

and getting a colorado drivers license none of those showed up when i got quotes from progressive... so it dropped my rate a lot..

just added my wifes 2012 CRV replacing her 20003 sentra, changed my deductible from 100-250 and it went down a dollar...no increase at all..

i was overjoyed..

progressive will creep up on you on price every 6 months or so..but i found calling to cancel knocks it back down.. we started at like $122/mo after 6 months they wanted $131, then another 6 months it was like $141. so i called and it went back to like $127/mo-ish... my limits are all almost maxed out, i got sued once after an accident, had $150k personal injury, and they sued for $240k, freaked me out, so i am 250k on most all limits.. they ended up getting like 40k(from my insurance company)... they were some shady fucks from outside middletown somewhere..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1337987235' post='1132669']
progressive will creep up on you on price every 6 months or so..but i found calling to cancel knocks it back down.. we started at like $122/mo after 6 months they wanted $131, then another 6 months it was like $141. so i called and it went back to like $127/mo-ish... my limits are all almost maxed out, i got sued once after an accident, had $150k personal injury, and they sued for $240k, freaked me out, so i am 250k on most all limits.. they ended up getting like 40k(from my insurance company)... they were some shady fucks from outside middletown somewhere..
[/quote]

What happened? I hit a dude when I was 17 and he got like $7,000 for a fucking bloody arm. The dude had sciriasis (spelling, super dry skin). It would have bled if he itched it.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1337994801' post='1132680']
What happened? I hit a dude when I was 17 and he got like $7,000 for a fucking bloody arm. The dude had sciriasis (spelling, super dry skin). It would have bled if he itched it.
[/quote]

i was rollin at about 20MPH wet roads, stop and go traffic in monroe, some lady slammed on her breaks to turn into soccer fields, lady behind her slammed on her breaks, i then did as well but my car slid and her the lady in front of me, which then hit the car that stopped in the first place..

there was a newborn in the car i hit.. they were all perfectly fine..but the lady who caused it, sued me, and her fat husband sued me claiming he could fuck his fat wife cause her back hurt.. so they sued for medical bills and pain and suffering and literally because they couldnt have fat trashy sex with eachother...

drove by their house once.. some white trash mofos...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1338056102' post='1132732']
i was rollin at about 20MPH wet roads, stop and go traffic in monroe, some lady slammed on her breaks to turn into soccer fields, lady behind her slammed on her breaks, i then did as well but my car slid and her the lady in front of me, which then hit the car that stopped in the first place..

there was a newborn in the car i hit.. they were all perfectly fine..but the lady who caused it, sued me, and her fat husband sued me claiming he could fuck his fat wife cause her back hurt.. so they sued for medical bills and pain and suffering and literally because they couldnt have fat trashy sex with eachother...

drove by their house once.. some white trash mofos...
[/quote]

:lmao: wow.... great story.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1338070289' post='1132741']
Just do what I do, be close friends with an independent agent (known him since middle school) :)
[/quote]

I can one up ya... my independent agent is my brother. :)

Go, that same shit, accident-wise happened to me. I was driving, looking down a road I thought I drove down the days before. As I passed the road my head turned with it. I was just trying to see where it went to see if that was the road I was on... for some reason it peaked my interest (funny b/c I now live on that road). Bam, hit the old fucker in front of me who sued, he hit someone else, they hit someone else, all because a car was waiting to turn left but there was traffic so it had to wait. I hit them going about 35-45 I'd say. My car was kind of low to the ground so the hood hit his bullpen and just collapsed... went straight up. I couldn't see anything but black because the hood was in my way. For a split second, because the bag smacked my ass, I wasn't sure WTF had happened to me. I jump out of my car and start looking around and was thinking "Oh fuck, this might be my fault." Yep, it definitely was.

Archived