PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 15: Cincinnati Bengals

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1344991452' post='1146324']

Not exactly, but they did have some inexperience there. Tyron Smith was a rookie at RT, Bill Nagy was a rookie at LG, and Phil Costa was a 2nd year guy at C. Doug Free at LT had played 3-4 years already and Kyle Kosier was a 10-year or so vet at RG.

They have pretty solid Ts now - Smith is a star in the making, and Free is pretty solid but was bad at pass pro last year. This year, they are switching sides. Livings (!), Bernardeau (pickup from Carolina) are projected at G, and Costa is projected at C. They've got a number of OLs hurt or recovering from injury currently, especially inside. That could be a really weak spot for them this year - for his sake, i hope Romo gets lots of rest, because he'll need to be nimble to escape the Interior pass rush. He almost got killed last night vs. Oakland.
[/quote]

It could have been a week when someone didn't start or was hurt or something. I remember it being a prime time game. Anywho, no biggie... like I said, I could be wrong but it's not worth it to look it up. To me anyway...

while i dont agree with his reasoning exactly, the rankking is about right, top 10 defense and 18th offense last season puts you roughly at middle of the pack overall..

if we lose guys to injury too much we will slip on defense, and im not convinced the offense can make up the ground in the AFCN.

i sadly dont feel we beat pitt or baltimore at all, unless they have some injury or issue making tehm weaker.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345071394' post='1146666']
I think the Bengals D is due for a big Turnover year. They got veteran CBs.

Pressure on the QB ramped up the second half of 2010, continued last season and looked strong 1st showing in 2012.
[/quote]

It was flukey how bad we were at turnovers last year - as in running to the goal line and fumbling it away. Things are bound to improve there.

15 is fair. One and done in the playoffs. Young team. I certainly think we have a better chance of moving up rather than down given a full off season with a young team. Still, this team has to prove it can beat good teams consistently before we start moving up the charts.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1345125501' post='1146895']
15 is fair. One and done in the playoffs. Young team. I certainly think we have a better chance of moving up rather than down given a full off season with a young team. Still, this team has to prove it can beat good teams [color=#ff0000]consistently[/color] before we start moving up the charts.
[/quote]

I agree

To be fair...this team still has to prove they can beat good teams [i]at all[/i]. Remember - they failed to beat any playoff teams last year.

I think 15 sounds about right - for now.

I think we all agree the trend seems to be heading in the right direction...but they need to take that next step of beating other good teams.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345064598' post='1146649']
Pitt/Balt have O-line problems we have D-line strength. I'm not seeing 0-4 against them this year.
[/quote]
our depth is all currently injured, but you are correct, if all healthy the dline is solid, the ravens drafted 2 linemen, one in the 2nd round, and the steelers spent their first two picks on linemen. their lines will be better than last year, the steelers oline was in shambles last year, it almost couldnt get any worse...

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1345065822' post='1146653']
It didn't take a top 5 offense to go 4-0 against them in 2009.
[/quote]

took a top 5 defense and running a 6 o-line formation to force run the ball, it was fugly. the defense will be good, but again, the season is going to come down to the offense. the league has swung, in 2000, defense won championships, now, brady, manning, brees, and putting up 35 points, wins championships. if the offense kicks into gear, we are in a great spot, this defense is top 10 even with any injury here or there, but we need to score 25 a game,. we did that 4 times all last year, and all were in the first half of the season. defenses adjusted and we stopped scoring points, we smacked around some bad teams, the jags, seahawks, browns, colts, all were pathetic. those are the only 4 games we put up 25+ points. the patriots did it 15 times, including the playoffs, and they landed in the superbowl...the giants did it 11 times, counting playoffs, and landed in the superbowl...

its 2012, offenses win championships. the patriots defense has been pretty average for many years. the giants defense is good, but the offense is racking up points off it, we werent able to do that last year.... im not too confident we can make a big enough swing to do it this year... we have the "easier" games early in the season this year, we should get off to a fast start... we SHOULD be able to go 5-1 to start the year, then we face, steelrs, broncos, giants, i dont think we can beat any of those teams. 5-3, then kc, oak, sd, i say we go 1-2, but say we go 2-1, the cheifs ar elooking awfully nasty in the run game and both RB's can catch. tough matchup. so 7-4, cowboys, eagles, steeelrs, ravens, i dont think we can beat any of these teams either, maybe the eagles if they are falling apart. so given 1 win there, thats 8-8, 9-7 if we can steal a game somewhere..

i say that because these teams can score points, they wont drop 35 on us, but they will get 24-27 and I dont know if we can match that consistently, the chargers might be terrible, matthews is hurt, etc..

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345131367' post='1146952']
Well, one thing is for sure... you if expect the worse out of the team, you can never be let down.
[/quote]

my expectations are always what i think is realistic, i know no one here is going to act like im a debbie downer, especailly after calling me a orange tinted glasses homer for the last 8 years...

the league has changed in the last 8-10 years, and we seem to be behind the times. (in my opinion) i dont see the fire power on offense to keep up with the joneses... its sad, i think we finish 3rd in the north, and i doubt 3 teams from the north make it into the palyoffs again this year..

the texans shut down the run game, forced us to pass and smacked us around, with a 3rd string rookie QB from UNC...man that was brutal.

we need to get the deep ball timing down so it is feared, which opens up the medium pass game and the run game, we arent going to be able to run the ball to open up the pass game, not with green-ellis. Benson was a better runner, but ellis is a better blocker, so maybe that helps swing things. and the o-line should be better, that helps too.. but did we get better enough to get past that type of collapse last year? im not sure we have. I was impressed with tate last week, which makes me feel better after losing simpson.

very eager to watch tonights game, i just want to see some fire on offense and get that warm fuzzy feeling about the season thats been missing a few years.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345135222' post='1146989']
our depth is all currently injured, but you are correct, if all healthy the dline is solid, the ravens drafted 2 linemen, one in the 2nd round, and the steelers spent their first two picks on linemen. their lines will be better than last year, the steelers oline was in shambles last year, it almost couldnt get any worse...

took a top 5 defense and running a 6 o-line formation to force run the ball, it was fugly. the defense will be good, but again, the season is going to come down to the offense. the league has swung, in 2000, defense won championships, now, brady, manning, brees, and putting up 35 points, wins championships. if the offense kicks into gear, we are in a great spot, this defense is top 10 even with any injury here or there, but we need to score 25 a game,. we did that 4 times all last year, and all were in the first half of the season. defenses adjusted and we stopped scoring points, we smacked around some bad teams, the jags, seahawks, browns, colts, all were pathetic. those are the only 4 games we put up 25+ points. the patriots did it 15 times, including the playoffs, and they landed in the superbowl...the giants did it 11 times, counting playoffs, and landed in the superbowl...

its 2012, offenses win championships. the patriots defense has been pretty average for many years. the giants defense is good, but the offense is racking up points off it, we werent able to do that last year.... im not too confident we can make a big enough swing to do it this year... we have the "easier" games early in the season this year, we should get off to a fast start... we SHOULD be able to go 5-1 to start the year, then we face, steelrs, broncos, giants, i dont think we can beat any of those teams. 5-3, then kc, oak, sd, i say we go 1-2, but say we go 2-1, the cheifs ar elooking awfully nasty in the run game and both RB's can catch. tough matchup. so 7-4, cowboys, eagles, steeelrs, ravens, i dont think we can beat any of these teams either, maybe the eagles if they are falling apart. so given 1 win there, thats 8-8, 9-7 if we can steal a game somewhere..

i say that because these teams can score points, they wont drop 35 on us, but they will get 24-27 and I dont know if we can match that consistently, the chargers might be terrible, matthews is hurt, etc..
[/quote]

Go I agree with your points on the offensive stats and top teams. But going back to our record this season versus Baltimore and Pittsburgh only, both are currently just as injured as the Bengals and with more changes going on from last season. I'm more in middle. I'm hoping for a split with both or minimum 1 of the 4 games we win.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1345136003' post='1146999']
Go I agree with your points on the offensive stats and top teams. But going back to our record this season versus Baltimore and Pittsburgh only, both are currently just as injured as the Bengals and with more changes going on from last season. I'm more in middle. I'm hoping for a split with both or minimum 1 of the 4 games we win.
[/quote]

not to mention the Bengals weren't that far off last year. 3 of the 4 losses were by one possession.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1345136003' post='1146999']
[/quote]

i wouldnt be shocked if we stole a game, i dont think we have 2 in us though, unless of course injuries or issues pile up for either team. I think our offense, the stlye we play with dalton, green, gresham, etc, we are missing that game changing back, benson was close, he could "go off" in a game here or there, just ask the browns, but i dont think green-ellis is that guy, now if they mix scott in more and get him involved he could help, i dont think brian leonard is surprising anyone as much as he was a few years ago getting big 3rd downs, but thats yet to be seen. We need that guy that teams have to watch out for, that ray rice, jamal charles, mccoy, etc.. if we wanna play the short game offense, fast pace quick pass, etc, we need that eliment to be good enough to win a playoff game.

I hope we can pslit with the ravens and steelers, i hate losing to those clowns more than anything, just a tough sell on paper, if all teams are healthy, head to head..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345135222' post='1146989']
took a top 5 defense and running a 6 o-line formation to force run the ball, it was fugly.
[/quote]

So? The W still counts the same. No style points.

And the Patriots haven't actually won a championship with Brady scoring 35 points a game. The Giants beat them with a decent run game, a good Defensive line, and some running. That's the model we seem to be trying to achieve.

To win you need to have a lot of talent and some balance - a great offense can't save a crappy D. The Giants beat all of those teams last year.

We spent a decade or so trying to be the Colts. The real Colts only won one championship in that span. I prefer finding our own way - a good offense and good defense, all of whom can make plays.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345136259' post='1147002']
not to mention the Bengals weren't that far off last year. 3 of the 4 losses were by one possession.
[/quote]

our battles with those guys usually are, we just need to improve more than they improved... really wish we didnt face the ravens week 1, but maybe that will be an advantage, catch them off guard and steal the first one. they both had us by 3 games at the end of the season.. did we do enough to improve 3 wins? i dont think 9-7 gets us in, three teams finished 8-8 in the AFCW last year, it came down to the last week to sneak in..

we gotta hit that 10 win mark and grab some division wins...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345136847' post='1147010']
our battles with those guys usually are, [b]we just need to improve more than they improved... [/b]really wish we didnt face the ravens week 1, but maybe that will be an advantage, catch them off guard and steal the first one. they both had us by 3 games at the end of the season.. did we do enough to improve 3 wins? i dont think 9-7 gets us in, three teams finished 8-8 in the AFCW last year, it came down to the last week to sneak in..

we gotta hit that 10 win mark and grab some division wins...
[/quote]

there's no way of knowing until the games are played, but IMO yes to the bolded.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1345136843' post='1147009']
So? The W still counts the same. No style points.
[/quote]

agreed, but we limped into the playoffs and got sent home in pathetic fashion, as bengals fans we shouldnt be happy with that anymore, we have enough talented players to want and expect more, getting beat up by the jets in 2009 and being embarassed by the texans( at least i was) last year, sucks, sneaking in as a wild card and being sent home with authority first round isnt much consolation prize anymore.

i just want to get over the hump, the defense is here, and we have some stars on offense.. not missing many peices..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345136573' post='1147006']
i wouldnt be shocked if we stole a game, i dont think we have 2 in us though, unless of course injuries or issues pile up for either team. I think our offense, the stlye we play with dalton, green, gresham, etc, we are missing that game changing back, benson was close, he could "go off" in a game here or there, just ask the browns, but i dont think green-ellis is that guy, now if they mix scott in more and get him involved he could help, i dont think brian leonard is surprising anyone as much as he was a few years ago getting big 3rd downs, but thats yet to be seen. We need that guy that teams have to watch out for, that ray rice, jamal charles, mccoy, etc.. if we wanna play the short game offense, fast pace quick pass, etc, we need that eliment to be good enough to win a playoff game.

I hope we can pslit with the ravens and steelers, i hate losing to those clowns more than anything, just a tough sell on paper, if all teams are healthy, head to head..
[/quote]

Just looking at this more broad brushed.... I do not think either Steelers nor Ravens will be quite as strong defensively but still top 10. I think our offense will be better this year. How much is one question. And our defense has the potential to be better. And i don't think either Steelers or Ravens will be better offensively.

Net, I think (i hope) we have closed the gap a little on each side of the ball. The question is... is it enough.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1345137097' post='1147015']
Just looking at this more broad brushed.... I do not think either Steelers nor Ravens will be quite as strong defensively but still top 10. I think our offense will be better this year. How much is one question. And our defense has the potential to be better. And i don't think either Steelers or Ravens will be better offensively.

Net, I think (i hope) we have closed the gap a little on each side of the ball. The question is... is it enough.
[/quote]

even without the new pieces brought in, I'd think the offense will take a nice jump forward with Dalton and Green having a real offseason, and ALL of the offense having a real offseason to digest Gruden's playbook.

They started last season with about 100 plays in the playbook. I bet its at least 3 times as large right now.

[quote name='whodey1971' timestamp='1345130814' post='1146948']
I agree

To be fair...this team still has to prove they can beat good teams [i]at all[/i]. Remember - they failed to beat any playoff teams last year.

I think 15 sounds about right - for now.

I think we all agree the trend seems to be heading in the right direction...but they need to take that next step of beating other good teams.
[/quote]

x2

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345136994' post='1147012']
agreed, but we limped into the playoffs and got sent home in pathetic fashion, as bengals fans we shouldnt be happy with that anymore, we have enough talented players to want and expect more, getting beat up by the jets in 2009 and being embarassed by the texans( at least i was) last year, sucks, sneaking in as a wild card and being sent home with authority first round isnt much consolation prize anymore.

i just want to get over the hump, the defense is here, and we have some stars on offense.. not missing many peices..
[/quote]

Even though the final score was clearly bad, that game was far from pathetic. That game turned on 3 plays...their DL making a crazy interception that probably just gets batted down 95% of the time. Crocker dropping that INT that was almost a sure TD. And take your pick between Pacman getting burned on a double move or Crocker making a pathetic attempt at tackling Foster. We outplayed them right up until that pick 6 and after that it appeared we couldn't ever get the momentum back, the crocker pick could have done it, but he dropped it.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1345136573' post='1147006']

[/quote]

I tend to agree with you about the RB situation, I'm just hoping I'm wrong and BJGE shows to be at least as competent as Rudi, but honestly I think were a good RB away from being a championship level team (assuming all else remains the same)

Archived