2012 Opponents Thread

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1350146092' post='1169589']
Just how banged up are the Stealers? Can't find much info. I know they took a ton of hits on Thursday. Hopefully most will still be out when we play them.
[/quote]

Woolley and polamalu were out Thursday. Two starting OL got hurt in the game, plus there top two RB's. They also for some reason just cut Wesley Saunders who was to be their eventual starting TE.

[quote]RAVENS CAN TAKE 2.5 GAME LEAD IN AFC NORTH WITH WIN TODAY[/quote]

Well, that's not exactly what Rich Eisen of NFL Network said just now, but he hinted at it after showing highlights of the Stealers loss at Tennessee. In his defense, he did follow that up a few seconds later with something like "I'm sure Bengals fans will say, hey, we made the playoffs last year..."

So, after today, the AFC North will shape up like this:

1. Baltimore 5-1 or 4-2
2. Pittsburgh 2-3
3. Cleveland 0-6 or 1-5

:D

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1350222468' post='1169666']

Well, that's not exactly what Rich Eisen of NFL Network said just now, but he hinted at it after showing highlights of the Stealers loss at Tennessee. In his defense, he did follow that up a few seconds later with something like "I'm sure Bengals fans will say, hey, we made the playoffs last year..."

So, after today, the AFC North will shape up like this:

1. Baltimore 5-1 or 4-2
2. Pittsburgh 2-3
3. Cleveland 0-6 or 1-5

:D
[/quote]
I don't think most national media outlets realize we have a team in Cincy.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350263221' post='1170758']
Wow hearing ray Lewis may be out for the year as well with a torn biceps. Also, Ngata sprained his knee today.
[/quote]

Saw that also. Not good for the Ravens. Their D was not good today and if they lose both Webb and Lewis would be huge.

food for thought for the "murderous" second half of the schedule. Here's what it currently looks like:

Pittsburgh 2-3
Broncos 2-3
Giants 4-2
@Chiefs 1-5
Raiders 1-4
@ Chargers 3-2
Dallas 2-3
@ Eagles 3-3
@ Steelers 2-3
Baltimore 5-1

after tomorrow either the Chargers will be 3-3 or the Broncos will be 2-4.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350270524' post='1170828']
food for thought for the "murderous" second half of the schedule. Here's what it looks like:

Pittsburgh 2-3
Broncos 2-3
Giants 4-2
@Chiefs 1-5
Raiders 1-4
@ Chargers 3-2
Dallas 2-3
@ Eagles 3-3
@ Steelers 2-3
Baltimore 5-1
[/quote]

Yeah I'm not really digging how the schedule got set up with playing both Browns games so early in the season. I wish they would have been broken up so that the game might have had more importance later in the season. The battle of Ohio just isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350270524' post='1170828']
food for thought for the "murderous" second half of the schedule. Here's what it currently looks like:

Pittsburgh 2-3
Broncos 2-3
Giants 4-2
@Chiefs 1-5
Raiders 1-4
@ Chargers 3-2
Dallas 2-3
@ Eagles 3-3
@ Steelers 2-3
Baltimore 5-1

after tomorrow either the Chargers will be 3-3 or the Broncos will be 2-4.
[/quote]

I'm too old to believe any game is a win, but I don't believe any of those games is a can't win, either... Winning Sunday sure would be nice.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1350274044' post='1170865']
I'm too old to believe any game is a win, but I don't believe any of those games is a can't win, either... Winning Sunday sure would be nice.
[/quote]

I see it the same. None of them are gimmes (there are no gimmes in the NFL anymore), but I don't see a team they don't have the talent to beat.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350303439' post='1170884']
I see it the same. None of them are gimmes (there are no gimmes in the NFL anymore), but I don't see a team they don't have the[size=6][b] talent [/b][/size]to beat.
[/quote]

You are right, they have the talent to play with anyone. They don't possess the other things at this point to beat them. For me, it comes down to more than talent. Every team has talent. Difference is, their talent executes more consistently than the Bengals talent. That is a huge problem. I never blame it on Marvin or any coach, gm, owner, ect. for that matter, but at some point, you have to start belieiving the problem lies there somewhere, because make no mistake about it, this team is loaded with talent. My hope is that they continue to figure it out as the season goes along, a la 2011 Giants, and their talent finally meets opportunity.

The NFL wanted parity in the league and they sure have succeeded. I think the Packers are probably one of the best teams in the league. They certainly won the Seahawks game. No excuse for Indy but they just crushed a good Texans team on the road and they are pretty healthy considering the utter carnage that is going on out there.

Based on the Ravens current triage list, I think they start losing way more games.

My guess is the Broncos will end up with one of the better records in the AFC. Their early schedule was simply brutal with only Oakland a bad team. AFC in general looks pretty bad.

Falcons are not as good as their record but they are good.

Yeah, our schedule is starting to look better based on current play and injuries but we haven't shown we can beat average to below average teams.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1350320116' post='1170964']
You are right, they have the talent to play with anyone. They don't possess the other things at this point to beat them. For me, it comes down to more than talent. Every team has talent. Difference is, their talent executes more consistently than the Bengals talent. That is a huge problem. I never blame it on Marvin or any coach, gm, owner, ect. for that matter, but at some point, you have to start belieiving the problem lies there somewhere, because make no mistake about it, this team is loaded with talent. My hope is that they continue to figure it out as the season goes along,[b] a la 2011 Giants, and their talent finally meets opportunity.[/b]
[/quote]

That's whats keeping me from pretty much crying at this point. On paper we are pretty far from eliminated in this playoff race and nobody had the G-men pegged for the playoffs at this point last season. Hope is still alive...even if its really sad and pathetic looking bleeding out of its lost limbs.

It is a tough road ahead regardless of the schedule.

With a win Sunday night, they would still need to go minimum of 5-4 to even get to 9-7. And no guarantees that gets you in.

Lose it, and it goes up to 6-3. And would mean they would have to beat the Stealers and Rats just to get to 3-3 in the division.

As I have been saying, if Sunday isn't a must-win, I don't know what is.

Yeah, they certainly made it very difficult by losing both games to Miami and Cleveland. The ship is halfway submerged at this point. If things dont change pretty quick, this team will be drafting in the top 10 because this season can get out of hand in a hurry.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1350323389' post='1171000']
Bottom line is typically 4-6 to 6-4 is going to have you in various playoff senarios.

Then of course comes down to last 6. I know we all like the gift wrapped playoff birth and ulitimately a dominate team but that isn't happening this year.
[/quote]

the addage I've always heard is that you at least want to be at .500 going into December.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350323920' post='1171008']

the addage I've always heard is that you at least want to be at .500 going into December.
[/quote]

Yep. 5-5 after 10 typically has you in control of your destiny in a lot playoff senarios.

[quote][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]The [/size][/font][/color][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens"]Baltimore Ravens[/url][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] improved to 5-1 on Sunday but lost way more than they gained as coach John Harbaugh confirmed Monday that both linebacker [/size][/font][/color][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/964/ray-lewis"]Ray Lewis[/url][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] and cornerback [/size][/font][/color][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12747/lardarius-webb"]Lardarius Webb[/url] [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]will miss the remainder of the season.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]L[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]ewis suffered a "full tear" of his triceps muscle, Harbaugh said while a torn ACL has ended Webb's year.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Archived