Voter Suppression

MichaelWeston

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/7/5979377/voter-id-laws-fix-a-fake-problem-by-creating-a-real-one

Loyola University law professor Justin Levitt tried to quantify the epidemic of voter ID fraud that's forcing so many states to pass restrictive voter ID laws. He looked for not only cases where someone was convicted, but tracked "any specific, credible allegation that someone may have pretended to be someone else at the polls, in any way that an ID law could fix."

Out of roughly a billion votes cast, he found 31 credible cases of voter ID fraud. And that is, he thinks, an overestimate. At the same time, thousands of people really are being turned away from polling places because they don't have the right ID. So voter ID laws fix a fake problem by creating a very real one.

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/7/5979377/voter-id-laws-fix-a-fake-problem-by-creating-a-real-one

Loyola University law professor Justin Levitt tried to quantify the epidemic of voter ID fraud that's forcing so many states to pass restrictive voter ID laws. He looked for not only cases where someone was convicted, but tracked "any specific, credible allegation that someone may have pretended to be someone else at the polls, in any way that an ID law could fix."

Out of roughly a billion votes cast, he found 31 credible cases of voter ID fraud. And that is, he thinks, an overestimate. At the same time, thousands of people really are being turned away from polling places because they don't have the right ID. So voter ID laws fix a fake problem by creating a very real one.

This almost deserves its own thread... 

Just get a fucking ID. I have a job that gives me no time off, a kid that I raise on my own, and I can go get my shit renewed. Get a fucking ID and use it. Tired of this bs no ID argument. ID's are necessary for just about everything. Hell, I thought that once you were 18, you have to carry your ID no matter what.

Agree. Just get an ID it really isn't that hard.

However, these laws were never meant to fix "voter fraud". Their sole purpose is to discourage people they don't want to vote from voting.

Obviously new ideas are completely off the table, so just rig the system.

I mean Gerrymandering anyone? Come on it's obvious what's going on to anyone even halfway paying attention.

They see their base getting older and they're worried.

Just get a fucking ID. I have a job that gives me no time off, a kid that I raise on my own, and I can go get my shit renewed. Get a fucking ID and use it. Tired of this bs no ID argument. ID's are necessary for just about everything. Hell, I thought that once you were 18, you have to carry your ID no matter what.

It's not always that easy,no matter what you say. Especially when you limit the pool of what constitutes a "legal ID". For example, a college ID is not sufficient, but a CCW or gun permit is. Who do you think they are trying to allow vote?

It's not always that easy,no matter what you say. Especially when you limit the pool of what constitutes a "legal ID". For example, a college ID is not sufficient, but a CCW or gun permit is. Who do you think they are trying to allow vote?

That is definitely suspect.

A lot of these "poorer" districts are run by Democrats. Wouldn't they want to institute some sort of means of supplying ID's to the people?

No they aren't. They poorest districts and the poorest states are blood red. The unwillingness to do anything for the populace is how they maintain it.

A lot of these "poorer" districts are run by Democrats. Wouldn't they want to institute some sort of means of supplying ID's to the people?

You mean like a BMV where one can go and have an ID made?

So the right is still very concerned about voter fraud? Great, let's take a close look at Diebold.

tumbleweed-o.gif

• 1 month later...

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/article_f026389d-c81f-51df-93fe-2b49dedd611f.html

Almost two years after then-Gov. Bob McDonnell signed Virginia’s voter ID requirement into law, a House panel on Friday backed legislation that would add another provision by requiring absentee voters to include a copy of a photo identification when applying for a ballot by mail.

“We put the bill forward because there is a gap in the law,” said Del. Jeffrey L. Campbell, R-Smyth, the measure’s sponsor. “In my opinion, if a person has to submit photo ID in person, they should certainly have to do so by mail as well.

“It’s basically treating classes of voters differently, so I felt it was needed.”

Since July 1, voters in Virginia must present a valid photo ID when casting their ballot at the polls.

Acceptable forms of ID include a Virginia driver’s license; a U.S. passport or any other photo ID issued by the U.S., Virginia or one of its political subdivisions; a student ID issued by any institute of higher learning in Virginia; or any employee identification card. Voters without such identification may apply for a free state-issued ID card.

But the requirement does not include absentee voters — except those who complete their application for an absentee ballot in person.

Archived