Voter Suppression

MichaelWeston

Honestly, I think ID should be required. What's the big deal? I think some states require you to have an ID just to walk outside, don't they? The bank will ID me, the cell phone store ID's me. Why should I not be ID'd to prove who I am to vote for people running my town, county, state and federal governments? Some people just need to get their asses out there and get ID and get with the times. I don't care who you vote for, just be legit.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1351315525' post='1174928']
Honestly, I think ID should be required. What's the big deal? I think some states require you to have an ID just to walk outside, don't they? The bank will ID me, the cell phone store ID's me. Why should I not be ID'd to prove who I am to vote for people running my town, county, state and federal governments? Some people just need to get their asses out there and get ID and get with the times. I don't care who you vote for, just be legit.
[/quote]

Any naturalized citizen or born in the U.S. can go to a clerks office or DMV and pay like $10 to get a state photo ID.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1351315525' post='1174928']
What's the big deal?
[/quote]

I'll be succinct. The big deal is that this is a conscious, well-developed and widely deployed strategem of the Republican party, all across the nation, [i]to make it difficult for people to vote. [/i][b]That is the intent.[/b] Behind all the waterfalls of crocodile tears about verifying ID is a void--an empty cave--which is indicative of just how little the Republican elites think of you, the common man and woman. They think that you can be persuaded that this incredibly obvious bit of political strong-arming, devised solely to garner power, is really just a matter of [i]fairness[/i].

Don't believe me? Collate the evidence. Be diligent and honest while doing so. Note the patterns.

Yet, the sad truth is this: all too many folks will be fooled by these gambits. And like fools, they'll lend support to the very people who think that regular folks are nothing more than hunks of meat to be manipulated, to have their throats stepped on like good, subservient lackeys and lickspittles.

Intent or not, I seriously think that you should be able to prove who you are when you go to vote. It just makes sense to me. I don't care who came up with the rules. Anything that requires you to be you should require ID. Like getting a ticket, getting money out of your bank, voting under your name. Yeah, I understand the whole Republicans are bad spin on this, but I agree with them nonetheless. NOT because I want Republicans to win, it just makes sense to me in this modern era.

My daughter, 16, was trying to get proof that she lives in a county to go to college classes while in high school. They wanted ID, she just turned 16. If she needs ID for this, then everyone sure as hell better be ID'd to vote, sorry.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1351345056' post='1174940']
I'll be succinct. The big deal is that this is a conscious, well-developed and widely deployed strategem of the Republican party, all across the nation, [i]to make it difficult for people to vote. [/i][b]That is the intent.[/b] Behind all the waterfalls of crocodile tears about verifying ID is a void--an empty cave--which is indicative of just how little the Republican elites think of you, the common man and woman. They think that you can be persuaded that this incredibly obvious bit of political strong-arming, devised solely to garner power, is really just a matter of [i]fairness[/i].

Don't believe me? Collate the evidence. Be diligent and honest while doing so. Note the patterns.

Yet, the sad truth is this: all too many folks will be fooled by these gambits. And like fools, they'll lend support to the very people who think that regular folks are nothing more than hunks of meat to be manipulated, to have their throats stepped on like good, subservient lackeys and lickspittles.
[/quote]

Being able to vote in this country is a right that many American's before us and still today give their lives for. Why would you be so steadfast against a measure that would help avoid voter fraud? Who knows, without this law, some John Doe could walk in off the street, give the name of a person that just passed away in the local voting area, and be able to cast a vote that basically voids someone else's vote for the opposing party. Who know's it could cancel out YOUR vote and infringe on your rights to be heard. Is that fair to you? Whether we as citizens like or not, need to get ID's to prove we are who we say we are. It's just become a necessity. If I can't check out a book without a valid ID at the library, then why should I be able to vote without one, and instead just by saying I am who I say I am? How anyone that is 18 or older, and qualifies to vote, can live in this day and age without any type of ID, whether it be a simple state ID, driver license, passport, student photo ID, etc. is beyond me.

Many Democrats will try to spin this legislature as a way to keep the poor, the elderly, and any other sub groups in society from voting is ludicrous. If these people so strongly about their vote and want to make it count, they would have some kind of photo ID. It is what it is, in this time as a society, that there are too many people out there living a life that isn't theirs. It's time to quit turning a blind eye to a serious issue, and make votes mean what they were intended to stand for, and what they founders of the Constitution intended them to be, a voice of the people.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1351347876' post='1174950']
I repeat to those who seem to be unwilling to confront just what this is all about:

But what do I know?
[/quote]

This isn't the conspiracy you are making it out to be. I could spend all day talking about stuff you need an ID for that is quite meaningless compared to voting. Your really wearing some rose tinted glasses on this issue. Does it upset you that Obama may have not been elected President, if not for Acorn? Does it offend you that Bush Jr. might not have been elected over Al Gore because of "hanging chads."

This new law would do nothing but protect the rights of voters, and make sure their vote counts. It doesn't take prose or any type of verbose statements. People need to prove who they are in order to vote. It's simple.

In Ohio alone we have seen ads run in black and latino areas saying that its a felony to commit voter fraud. We have also seen the secretary of state not allow longer hours to vote in areas that were more democratically populated.

Why make people have id's if there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351348529' post='1174953']
This isn't the conspiracy you are making it out to be. I could spend all day talking about stuff you need an ID for that is quite meaningless compared to voting. Your really wearing some rose tinted glasses on this issue. Does it upset you that Obama may have not been elected President, if not for Acorn? Does it offend you that Bush Jr. might not have been elected over Al Gore because of "hanging chads."

This new law would do nothing but protect the rights of voters, and make sure their vote counts. It doesn't take prose or any type of verbose statements. People need to prove who they are in order to vote. It's simple.
[/quote]

Actually, it is the conspiracy I make it out to be. Once again, collate the evidence. This isn't about IDs, [i]pro forma[/i]. Stop changing the topic to IDs. It's voter suppression we're talking about here.

On ACORN: I abso-fucking-lutely guarantee that I know more about those folks than you do. And you might be surprised what my opinion is about that group. But then again, that's not what we are talking about here.

And the fact that Bush Jr., Cheney, et al are not behind bars offends me.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1351349574' post='1174963']
Actually, it is the conspiracy I make it out to be. Once again, collate the evidence. This isn't about IDs, [i]pro forma[/i]. Stop changing the topic to IDs. It's voter suppression we're talking about here.

On ACORN: I abso-fucking-lutely guarantee that I know more about those folks than you do. And you might be surprised what my opinion is about that group. But then again, that's not what we are talking about here.

[b]And the fact that Bush Jr., Cheney, et al are not behind bars offends me.[/b]
[/quote]

For oh so many reasons...

And the fact that Bush Jr., Cheney, et al are not behind bars offends me.
[/quote]

I'm not a politician, political activist, or any of those things. I enjoy discussing and debating things, but there are few things I would consider myself a professional at. I do try to stay informed on as many things is possible. If I remember correctly, Acorn got shut down during Obama's administration. So why would a government who was put into office by an organization, would come back and sever ties with that group, and get rid of the financial backing, ultimately making it go away?

Have you noticed less voter initiated drives this year? Where is rock the vote? Where is the WWE commercials recruiting people to vote? This has been one of the most quiet years as far as voter campaigns I can remember. This also goes for online recruitment. It just feels odd.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351350066' post='1174965']
I'm not a politician, political activist, or any of those things. I enjoy discussing and debating things, but there are few things I would consider myself a professional at. I do try to stay informed on as many things is possible. If I remember correctly, Acorn got shut down during Obama's administration. So why would a government who was put into office by an organization, would come back and sever ties with that group, and get rid of the financial backing, ultimately making it go away?

Have you noticed less voter initiated drives this year? Where is rock the vote? Where is the WWE commercials recruiting people to vote? This has been one of the most quiet years as far as voter campaigns I can remember. This also goes for online recruitment. It just feels odd.
[/quote]

ACORN did not put Obama into office any more than the Tea Party will put Romney into office if he wins. Players, not king-makers.

I think the key difference between this election and the last one is about the general mood of the country. In 2008, you had the first black nominee of a major party running. You also had a population which was pretty tired of the antics of the Bush admin. Obama portrayed himself as a beacon of change at a time when a lot of folks were looking to be energized in positive ways.

Four years later and the mood is a bit more pessimistic, I think. Obama hasn't delivered on promises to the hard-core leftists and I suspect this has muted their activity in some ways. And it is generally the "true believers" in either party which pumps up the energy and hits the streets for their chosen one.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1351350902' post='1174967']
ACORN did not put Obama into office any more than the Tea Party will put Romney into office if he wins. Players, not king-makers.

I think the key difference between this election and the last one is about the general mood of the country. In 2008, you had the first black nominee of a major party running. You also had a population which was pretty tired of the antics of the Bush admin. Obama portrayed himself as a beacon of change at a time when a lot of folks were looking to be energized in positive ways.

Four years later and the mood is a bit more pessimistic, I think. Obama hasn't delivered on promises to the hard-core leftists and I suspect this has muted their activity in some ways. And it is generally the "true believers" in either party which pumps up the energy and hits the streets for their chosen one.
[/quote]

So do you think the lack of a multi-media ad campaign (Tv, internet, radio) by the candidates well have a smaller voter turnout by the 18-25 year old population? If it is, that could only hurt Obama who really carried that demographic in his campaign against an old hard to relate to Mcain.

[color=#ff0000]And the fact that Bush Jr., Cheney, et al are not behind bars offends me.[/color]
[/quote]

x3

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1351345056' post='1174940']

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmvh77Xfhk

Huh... voted Friday afternoon and I had to show an ID. I used my driver's license. The lady next to me pulled out her passport.

What states are we fighting over having to actually SHOW some form of ID? I know shenanigans are played to try and reduce the voting pool but on the very face of it, does anybody here see any issue with a voter walking up to the polls and having to provide some type of ID? Take all the other bullshit out of it - yes that happens. But it doesn't have anything to do with simply having some type of identification to "get your ballot"... you need ID to cash a check, sign up for classes, heck - even prove what school district you are supposed to be in.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1351520664' post='1175359']
Huh... voted Friday afternoon and I had to show an ID. I used my driver's license. The lady next to me pulled out her passport.

What states are we fighting over having to actually SHOW some form of ID? I know shenanigans are played to try and reduce the voting pool but on the very face of it, does anybody here see any issue with a voter walking up to the polls and having to provide some type of ID? Take all the other bullshit out of it - yes that happens. But it doesn't have anything to do with simply having some type of identification to "get your ballot"... you need ID to cash a check, sign up for classes, heck - even prove what school district you are supposed to be in.
[/quote]

Right, but see it doesn't require an ID to post on this forum, and that's all that matters right now.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351555443' post='1175542']
Do some of you not know what the term "Red Herring" means?

The entire voter ID "controversy" is meant to distract people from scrutiny of the voting machines. Unfortunately it appears to be working.
[/quote]

I understand EXACTLY what you're saying here... my simple question was if the voting machines were 100% legit, there was no controversy of any sort with regard to suppressing any vote, etc. would you have an issue with requiring a voter to show some form of photo ID to get a ballot? Simple question.

Remove the rest of the bulshit - simple yes or no. This is more of just my own curiosity at this point.

Archived